PDA

View Full Version : Hardee's introduces 1,420-calorie burger.

heyjupiter678
11-16-2004, 12:39 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6498304/

ST. LOUIS - As many fast-food chains introduce healthier fare amid fears of being sued, Hardee’s is introducing a hamburger with 1,420 calories and 107 grams of fat.

St. Louis-based Hardee’s Food Systems Inc. on Monday rolled out its Monster Thickburger — two 1/3-pound slabs of Angus beef, four strips of bacon, three slices of cheese and mayonnaise on a buttered sesame seed bun. The sandwich alone sells for $5.49, $7.09 with fries and a soda.

The introduction comes at a time when McDonald’s Corp., Wendy’s International Inc. and other fast-food giants have broadened their offerings of salad and other lower-calorie fare amid concerns that the industry could be held legally liable for America’s obesity epidemic. Last year, a federal judge in New York dismissed two class-action suits blaming McDonald’s for making people fat. McDonald’s was also skewered earlier this year by “Super Size Me,” an award-winning documentary that targeted the fast food industry.

Even before the new Monster Thickburger, the chain offered five sandwiches with 1,000 calories or more, and eight overall that have more calories than what was once the big-burger standard — McDonald’s 600-calorie Big Mac.

“Maybe this is a smart strategy because there are still folks out there who care about the taste and size of their sandwich, and less about their weight,” said Jerry McVety, president of the restaurant consulting firm McVety & Associates in Farmington Hills, Mich.

In trading Monday, shares of Hardee’s parent company, CKE Restaurants Inc., closed up 13 cents, or 1 percent, at $12.63.

--

:shocked: Yikes.

SuzeQuze
11-16-2004, 12:48 PM

ST. LOUIS - As many fast-food chains introduce healthier fare amid fears of being sued, Hardee’s is introducing a hamburger with 1,420 calories and 107 grams of fat.

St. Louis-based Hardee’s Food Systems Inc. on Monday rolled out its Monster Thickburger — two 1/3-pound slabs of Angus beef, four strips of bacon, three slices of cheese and mayonnaise on a buttered sesame seed bun. The sandwich alone sells for $5.49, $7.09 with fries and a soda.

The introduction comes at a time when McDonald’s Corp., Wendy’s International Inc. and other fast-food giants have broadened their offerings of salad and other lower-calorie fare amid concerns that the industry could be held legally liable for America’s obesity epidemic. Last year, a federal judge in New York dismissed two class-action suits blaming McDonald’s for making people fat. McDonald’s was also skewered earlier this year by “Super Size Me,” an award-winning documentary that targeted the fast food industry.

Even before the new Monster Thickburger, the chain offered five sandwiches with 1,000 calories or more, and eight overall that have more calories than what was once the big-burger standard — McDonald’s 600-calorie Big Mac.

“Maybe this is a smart strategy because there are still folks out there who care about the taste and size of their sandwich, and less about their weight,” said Jerry McVety, president of the restaurant consulting firm McVety & Associates in Farmington Hills, Mich.

In trading Monday, shares of Hardee’s parent company, CKE Restaurants Inc., closed up 13 cents, or 1 percent, at $12.63.

--

:shocked: Yikes.

That's so gross!!!

gldstwmn
11-16-2004, 12:59 PM
Why would anyone want to eat this? :confused:

DrummerDeanna
11-16-2004, 01:32 PM
Ugh - that burger looks heinous even to me (whose life's LOVE is burgers and pizza) - that's just too much....blech...

skcin
11-16-2004, 01:37 PM
I feel physically ill. :(

Hubby would probably eat it though! :rolleyes:

Paula

strandinthewind
11-16-2004, 01:37 PM

I am once again in the minority - It looks fab. Although I prob. would not eat it because it is not on my diet :laugh:

chiliD
11-16-2004, 01:44 PM
Since Hardee's is the "east of the Rockies" version of Carls, Jr., I wonder if Carl's Jr will offer these, too? :shrug:

Their family of "Six Dollar Burgers" wasn't big enough, apparently. :shrug:

Why not? (If one doesn't give a sh*t about calories, carbs or cholesterol)

It actually looks pretty good to me. :D

Livia
11-16-2004, 01:46 PM
When I crave beef, that's exactly what I want! LOL The Angus burger at Burger King is very tasty, I don't think it's quite that big though.

I just rented Supersize Me - OMG! The bonus footage - the deleted scene where Morgan put a cheeseburger, a filet-o-fish, an order of fries and REAL potatoes (steak fries from a restaurant) in individual glass jars. After 10 weeks, everything was rotten and moldy, the real potatoes started to go first, but the McD fries were still intact! Eeww, they must be 99% preservatives, or completely synthetic!

P.S. - I'm changing my mind, that thing is WAY too big. And I don't like to mix the pig w/ the cow. I wouldn't want the bacon on it.

greatdarkwing
11-16-2004, 01:50 PM
I am once again in the minority - It looks fab. Although I prob. would not eat it because it is not on my diet :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: You better not bring a diet down here, LOL!

BTW, as far as the burger goes...

MMMMMMMMmmmmm...1,400 calories.....(drools)

~Alex

greatdarkwing
11-16-2004, 01:51 PM
P.S. - I'm changing my mind, that thing is WAY too big. And I don't like to mix the pig w/ the cow. I wouldn't want the bacon on it.

Now Now, no changing your mind :laugh:

~Alex

DrummerDeanna
11-16-2004, 01:52 PM
And I don't like to mix the pig w/ the cow. I wouldn't want the bacon on it.

:laugh: I can't mix my meats...

Some place a few years ago was offereing a burger/chicken/bacon sandwich thing...ugh - SO gross...individually I like all of those meats - but for some reason I am very opposed to mixing meats...:nod:

Livia
11-16-2004, 01:54 PM
Now Now, no changing your mind :laugh:

~Alex

But I'm a woman! That means I can! :laugh:

ontheEdgeof17
11-16-2004, 01:55 PM
I don't even eat over a 1,000 calories a day, let alone one burger. DAMN GINA!!!!!

strandinthewind
11-16-2004, 01:56 PM
This is so funny - most of the guys love it - most of the girls are appalled by it :laugh: Some things never change!! :laugh:

greatdarkwing
11-16-2004, 01:59 PM
I just rented Supersize Me - OMG! The bonus footage - the deleted scene where Morgan put a cheeseburger, a filet-o-fish, an order of fries and REAL potatoes (steak fries from a restaurant) in individual glass jars. After 10 weeks, everything was rotten and moldy, the real potatoes started to go first, but the McD fries were still intact! Eeww, they must be 99% preservatives, or completely synthetic!

I refuse to watch this movie...better that I dont know the horrors.... :laugh: Now, back to my 8,000 calorie burger thing :laugh:

~Alex

dissention
11-16-2004, 02:20 PM
Now, back to my 8,000 calorie burger thing :laugh:

~Alex

That's one way to avoid being drafted. ;)

That burger looks and sounds nasty. And the day I spend $6 on a fast food burger is the day a Republican talking point comes out of my mouth.

greatdarkwing
11-16-2004, 02:25 PM
That burger looks and sounds nasty. And the day I spend $6 on a fast food burger is the day a Republican talking point comes out of my mouth.

I'll be keeping an ear out for that.. :laugh: :nod:

~Alex

greatdarkwing
11-16-2004, 02:26 PM
That's one way to avoid being drafted. ;)

ROTFLMFAO!!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

~Alex

Pisces Queen
11-16-2004, 02:37 PM
Man ~ I miss Hardee's. I am in Texas weith no Hardee's in sight. I would love a hot ham and cheese. :]

HomerMcvie
11-16-2004, 02:45 PM
Sounds great to me. Not everyday, of course. Anything worth doing, is worth doing right. Remember when a burrito supreme at Taco Hell actually had some meat in it(more than a tablespoon). Now, it's this anorexic tortilla.
Bring it on.

amber
11-16-2004, 02:57 PM
Since Hardee's is the "east of the Rockies" version of Carls, Jr., I wonder if Carl's Jr will offer these, too? :shrug:

Their family of "Six Dollar Burgers" wasn't big enough, apparently. :shrug:

I was there this morning, (bacon guacamole burger, thank you very much) and it looks like they already have it...Carl's Junior, that is..

SuzeQuze
11-16-2004, 03:04 PM
This is so funny - most of the guys love it - most of the girls are appalled by it :laugh: Some things never change!! :laugh:

Yep, cuz you guys have cooties! :p

strandinthewind
11-16-2004, 03:05 PM
Yep, cuz you guys have cooties! :p

Who UUUUUSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS???????????????????????????

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

SuzeQuze
11-16-2004, 03:10 PM
I don't even eat over a 1,000 calories a day, let alone one burger. DAMN GINA!!!!!

Really? Are you under weight? No need to actually answer that one, I'm just curious. I wish I could get by on that little but, alas, the cravings are too powerful :blob2: :] :blob2:

AliceLover
11-16-2004, 03:29 PM
Even mcDonalds looks healthy compared to that! :shocked:

Jimmy

dissention
11-16-2004, 03:29 PM
Really? Are you under weight? No need to actually answer that one, I'm just curious. I wish I could get by on that little but, alas, the cravings are too powerful :blob2: :] :blob2:

No, he's a contestant on The Bigget Loser. :p

ontheEdgeof17
11-16-2004, 03:50 PM

Yeah......I'm 6'1" and weight 135...aka "skinny bitch". I work out quite a bit, but I'm not big on sweets and chips. I'm a very healthy eater. I do make a fast food run about twice a month, but other than that, it's apples and salads. :)

ontheEdgeof17
11-16-2004, 03:52 PM
No, he's a contestant on The Bigget Loser. :p

More like a contestant on America's Top Model...... just water and crackers, please.

Patti
11-16-2004, 03:53 PM
It sounds good to me (sans the mayo), but I would *never* eat such a monstrosity! Actually now that I'm thinking about actually eating it, nope, nevermind. It is too, too much! I told my coworker about it, who loves hamburgers more than his children, and his comment was, "Does it also come with a punch card--five Thickburgers and your angioplasty is free?" :lol: :lol:

wondergirl9847
Yeah......I'm 6'1" and weight 135...aka "skinny bitch". I work out quite a bit, but I'm not big on sweets and chips. I'm a very healthy eater. I do make a fast food run about twice a month, but other than that, it's apples and salads. :)

Dammit.

*goes to work out*

I am a junk food junkie...just started working out....again (sigh...) last Monday three times a week. WHY can't I like healthy food...WHY GOD, WHY!?!?!?!?!? :laugh:

amber
that's weird. I'm 5'3" and my thin weight is 133 - that's with working out...and i don't look very bulky. I can't even imagine how thin you must look. :shocked: It's great you eat healthy, many boys don't... :)

dissention
11-16-2004, 03:55 PM
Dammit.

*goes to work out*

I am a junk food junkie...just started working out....again (sigh...) last Monday three times a week. WHY can't I like healthy food...WHY GOD, WHY!?!?!?!?!? :laugh:

Pssst...South Beach Diet. It works wonders and I guarantee you that you won't get cravings after a few days. AND, even more importantly, stay on it for a month and you'll be stunned at your heart health and cholesterol levels. :woohoo:

ontheEdgeof17
11-16-2004, 03:58 PM
Dammit.

*goes to work out*

I used to be a junk food junkie. Then, one day I went to the store and bought none of that....just the healthy stuff. The first week without chips and pop was very painful, but I trudged through it and after the second week or so, I didn't crave it anymore.

My friend has lost 20 lbs just by cutting out the snacks....she has yet to work out.

YOU CAN DO IT! :woohoo:

amber
11-16-2004, 03:59 PM
Pssst...South Beach Diet. It works wonders and I guarantee you that you won't get cravings after a few days. AND, even more importantly, stay on it for a month and you'll be stunned at your heart health and cholesterol levels. :woohoo:
Actually, i was gonna try this, for reals. Guess i have to buy a book, though *sigh* how much weight did you lose again? (was that you?) and how long did it take? I probably have high cholestrol too...

ontheEdgeof17
11-16-2004, 04:00 PM
that's weird. I'm 5'3" and my thin weight is 133 - that's with working out...and i don't look very bulky. I can't even imagine how thin you must look. :shocked: It's great you eat healthy, many boys don't... :)

Well, according to my Body Mass Index, I am 20 lbs under my ideal weight. Instead of getting to that point by eating, I'm trying to do it by building mucle mass.

cliffdweller
11-16-2004, 04:01 PM
I feel physically ill. :(

Hubby would probably eat it though! :rolleyes:

Paula

I was just thinking the same thing! :]

dissention
11-16-2004, 04:01 PM
Actually, i was gonna try this, for reals. Guess i have to buy a book, though *sigh* how much weight did you lose again? (was that you?) and how long did it take? I probably have high cholestrol too...

I didn't go on it to lose weight, I went on it because I wanted to lower my cholesterol and be heart healthy. But I ended up losing almost 30 lbs. altogether in less than two months. Whenever I feel like my ass is getting too big for my pants, though, I just go back on phase one. :laugh:

amber
11-16-2004, 04:02 PM
Well, according to my Body Mass Index, I am 20 lbs under my ideal weight. Instead of getting to that point by eating, I'm trying to do it by building mucle mass.
oh, have you been doing weights for long?

dissention
11-16-2004, 04:03 PM

Child, that is incredibly hard to do. :laugh: Good luck!

amber
11-16-2004, 04:04 PM
I didn't go on it to lose weight, I went on it because I wanted to lower my cholesterol and be heart healthy. But I ended up losing almost 30 lbs. altogether in less than two months. Whenever I feel like my ass is getting too big for my pants, though, I just go back on phase one. :laugh:
so you didn't have a giant re-gain once you were not following it, right? and i'm sure i need to lower my cholesterol, judging from the fact that i thought it was ok to have the bacon guacamole hamburger for breakfast...with fries... :laugh:

wondergirl9847
11-16-2004, 04:05 PM
I need to cut out the cokes, cookies, chips...etc. Also, walking is my fave form of exercise. When I went to England, I was about 135-140...when I got home, I was about 120-125 or so. I walked more in those three weeks than I have in my entire LIFE. LOL!!

Gives me another reason to wanna move to London. Hee!

dissention
11-16-2004, 04:08 PM
so you didn't have a giant re-gain once you were not following it, right? and i'm sure i need to lower my cholesterol, judging from the fact that i thought it was ok to have the bacon guacamole hamburger for breakfast...with fries... :laugh:

No, there are three phases of the diet. Phase one is the most restrictive but quite easy. In phase two, you begin to reintroduce more carbs. Phase three lets you eat more carbs but by then you know what's good and what's bad. Phase three is intended to be long-lasting, you can't go back to eating lots of junk or you'll gain weight. But if you do, you just go back on the first phase and you'll lose it again.

ontheEdgeof17
11-16-2004, 04:09 PM
oh, have you been doing weights for long?

'Bout 6 months....

.....and yes, it's a bitch to gain weight just by muscle.

amber
11-16-2004, 04:12 PM
'Bout 6 months....

.....and yes, it's a bitch to gain weight just by muscle.
hmm, i didn't think it was that hard....I guess it depends on the person (obviously :) )

DrummerDeanna
11-16-2004, 04:24 PM
I've got a junk food addiction as well....I hate it...but oh how I love chocolate and cookies and brownies...mmm....I try to never keep that stuff in my house...

BUT I do work out - not as much as I like - right now I make it to the gym three times a week - I want to be going 4-5.

I can't seem to lose weight anymore though :( Still...I'm pretty solid - so whatever - I am considered overweight but I will never be skinny - I'm not built for it...

estranged4life
11-16-2004, 08:44 PM

since Hardee's no longer have a market in Oklahoma (Replaced with Carl's Jr.) I wont have to worry about destroying my arteries (Or my esophagus for that matter...Still having ongoing problems) :nod:

Brian j.

pianogirl04
11-16-2004, 09:40 PM
Dammit.

*goes to work out*

I just started to work out a few weeks ago -- walking an hour a day two or three days a week. And I stopped eating sugar entirely. I lived on apples, bananas, juice, salads, and oatmeal. And I felt better, I had tons of energy, I felt like I was losing weight (even though I hadn't), and I couldn't sleep at all. Not one wink. I would toss and turn for five hours and I'd get up on my own. I started eating sugar again this weekend and guess what? I can sleep. I seriously don't get it. Has this happened to anyone else?

Hawkeye
11-16-2004, 10:13 PM
Man now when I'm eating at McDonald's I'll feel like I'm eating health food :laugh:

But on the weight disscussion, I have been battling my weight and health forever. I'm actually pretty good at working ot. It's a great excuse to blast Fleetwood Mac, but I just don't have that healthy people ability to eat healthy. And dieting is against my religion (calm down Dissention just a figure a speech, there's no food religion :laugh: ) I can't help it I LOVE food. And fatty unhelathy foods preferably. I WISH I liked vegetables but I really don't. I eat brocali occasionly and am a mushroom and onion fan, but the only place for salad is on a Cheesburger :laugh:

And I've got a question. How healthy is Chinese Food. It's my absolute favorite type of food. And I've heard mixed reviews from people on how healthy it is. People say they cook with tons of olil, but I've also heard it's a healthy oil.

dissention
11-17-2004, 08:55 AM
I just started to work out a few weeks ago -- walking an hour a day two or three days a week. And I stopped eating sugar entirely. I lived on apples, bananas, juice, salads, and oatmeal. And I felt better, I had tons of energy, I felt like I was losing weight (even though I hadn't), and I couldn't sleep at all. Not one wink. I would toss and turn for five hours and I'd get up on my own. I started eating sugar again this weekend and guess what? I can sleep. I seriously don't get it. Has this happened to anyone else?

You should never eat very much fruit or drink very juice if you're trying to lose weight; they're loaded with sugar, which turn into carbs, which turn into fat on your rear-end. I would suggest dieting by eating lots of salad (no tomato) and greens, lots of nuts (pistachios, cashews, etc.), block cheese (Cracker Barrel), and low-fat sandwich meats. When I first started dieting, I would cut off a chunk of cheese, wrap it in low-fat ham or turkey, and then wrap it in a big piece of lettuce. Make four or five and you'll be stuffed, especially once your body gets used to it after a few days. That's what I had for breakfast and lunch. :laugh: Eat lean hamburgers (no bread or ketchup, but with cheese), turkey bacon (if you cook it in the microwave, 60% of the fat is zapped out), stuff like that. The whole point is to eat fat, but to eat GOOD fats, stay away from lots of saturated fats (the nuts are loaded with good fats). NEVER go on a fruit diet!!!!!!!!!! :wavey:

dissention
11-17-2004, 08:57 AM
And I've got a question. How healthy is Chinese Food. It's my absolute favorite type of food. And I've heard mixed reviews from people on how healthy it is. People say they cook with tons of olil, but I've also heard it's a healthy oil.

Healthy oil?! They use vegetable oil and peanut oil. :laugh: I love Chinese food, too, but it's pure fat. And if your Chinese place uses MSG, you're in even more trouble!

strandinthewind
11-17-2004, 09:04 AM
You should never eat very much fruit or drink very juice if you're trying to lose weight; they're loaded with sugar, which turn into carbs, which turn into fat on your rear-end. I would suggest dieting by eating lots of salad (no tomato) and greens, lots of nuts (pistachios, cashews, etc.), block cheese (Cracker Barrel), and low-fat sandwich meats. When I first started dieting, I would cut off a chunk of cheese, wrap it in low-fat ham or turkey, and then wrap it in a big piece of lettuce. Make four or five and you'll be stuffed, especially once your body gets used to it after a few days. That's what I had for breakfast and lunch. :laugh: Eat lean hamburgers (no bread or ketchup, but with cheese), turkey bacon (if you cook it in the microwave, 60% of the fat is zapped out), stuff like that. The whole point is to eat fat, but to eat GOOD fats, stay away from lots of saturated fats (the nuts are loaded with good fats). NEVER go on a fruit diet!!!!!!!!!! :wavey:

ITA - this is how I lost a whole bunch of weight.

Fortunately, I LOVE salads, esp. a chef's salad, which Publix (grocery store) makes for like $3.99. It has chunks of ham and turkey and chunks of swiss and cheddar cheeses (I take out the tomatoes and olives). They also make a grilled chicken Ceasar salad for about the same price. I have gotten to where I can eat them without dressing :laugh: - but Paul Newman's Oil and Vinegar is not that bad for you in that it is made with all natural ingredients and as long as you do not put half of the bottle in one salad :laugh: you should be okay. Finally, if fast food is what ya want, Subway makes a low carb wrap that is fab.

I also found that if I do not mix cocktails with juices like cranberry juice or with leaded :laugh: sodas like Coke and instead use soda with lemon, I can cut a whole bunch of unecessary carbs that way. I also like just soda with lemon and there are new flavored sodas with 0 calories emerging into the market - the mandarian orange one is GREAT!!!!!

Food for thought :cool:

cliffdweller
11-17-2004, 09:56 AM
I also like just soda with lemon and there are new flavored sodas with 0 calories emerging into the market - the mandarian orange one is GREAT!!!!!

Food for thought :cool:

Which soda makes mandaran orange flavor? That sounds yummy!

strandinthewind
11-17-2004, 10:49 AM

I think it is Poland Springs or something like that. It has a green label anbd is usually by the tonic and club soda in the gricery store. It is FAB.!!!!!!

dissention
11-17-2004, 10:52 AM
I think it is Poland Springs or something like that. It has a green label anbd is usually by the tonic and club soda in the gricery store. It is FAB.!!!!!!

I like the cheap carbonated and flavored water that's really sweet. No carbs, no calories, no sugar, no aspartame! Only Splenda. :D

Livia
11-17-2004, 10:56 AM

When I hear mandarin orange, I immediately think of Absolut! :laugh:

strandinthewind
11-17-2004, 11:01 AM
I like the cheap carbonated and flavored water that's really sweet. No carbs, no calories, no sugar, no aspartame! Only Splenda. :D

I do not like the way Splenda tastes :eek:

But, I think this Poland Springs stuff has no artificial sweetner. I am unsure though. They also have Rasberry-Lime and Lemon flavors. They say it is a natural essence of fruit - whatever that means :laugh:

dissention
11-17-2004, 11:02 AM
I do not like the way Splenda tastes :eek:

Hey, it's better than sugar and tastes better than Sweet and Low. I'm all set. :laugh:

DrummerDeanna
11-17-2004, 11:09 AM
I don't mind sweet and low at all - in fact I enjoy it.....and LOVE LOVE LOVE diet coke, diet Cherry COke and Diet Dr. Pepper....I'm totally hooked on these beverages....have had to cut down to one a day otherwise I'd have an IV of the stuff constantly going...

I don't mind Splenda either - but still prefer the bad for ya aspartame...

The week I stopped drinking regular sodas (non-diet) I dropped five pounds....it's bad stuff :nod:

I don't drink juices - BUT I can't seem to cut back on the carbs....I will NEVEr go on a no carb diet...probably not even low carb - but I absolutely need to cut back....

SuzeQuze
11-17-2004, 11:13 AM
I don't mind sweet and low at all - in fact I enjoy it.....and LOVE LOVE LOVE diet coke, diet Cherry COke and Diet Dr. Pepper....I'm totally hooked on these beverages....have had to cut down to one a day otherwise I'd have an IV of the stuff constantly going...

I don't mind Splenda either - but still prefer the bad for ya aspartame...

The week I stopped drinking regular sodas (non-diet) I dropped five pounds....it's bad stuff :nod:

I don't drink juices - BUT I can't seem to cut back on the carbs....I will NEVEr go on a no carb diet...probably not even low carb - but I absolutely need to cut back....

I'm with you. Yesterday I had a low carb lunch and by 2 my mental capacity was zero. My whole body was screaming EAT SOME SUGAR!!! My mood was also low. Did this happen to those of you who have done low-carb diets? If so, how long did it take to pass? I think this is my biggest road block because I eat fairly healthy and go to the gym often. I also walk to work which is 3 miles a day total. But it's those damn seductive carbs that are getting me. I'm an addict!
:] :]

Patti
11-17-2004, 11:50 AM
Carbs in and of themselves are not "evil". There are, however, bad carbs and good carbs. Bad carbs are white sugar, white flour, white rice, white pasta and basically anything processed. Fruits are not necessarily bad for you as they contain many nutrients and antioxidants, as well as fiber. Fruit juices are not good for you overall. They contain too much sugar and the fiber is processed out of it. Fructose (the sugars found in fruit) processes through your body more slowly than sucrose (white sugar), so it doesn't cause the blood sugar spikes that sucrose does.

I heard on the news last night that someone (I didn't hear who) just completed a nine year study of low fat vs. low carb diets. Low carb diets caused the most early weight loss, but after nine years almost all the people doing low carb had regained the weight, where far fewer low fat people regained the weight.

And one other thing....Curtis, you are probably not eating enough to build enough muscle mass effectively. You need more calories than you are currently getting. Just make them "good" calories. If you don't enough your body will think it's starving and start breaking down muscle to get nutrients.

Former personal trainer here, if you're wondering...or even if you're not! :wavey:

DrummerDeanna
11-17-2004, 12:17 PM
Carbs in and of themselves are not "evil". There are, however, bad carbs and good carbs. Bad carbs are white sugar, white flour, white rice, white pasta and basically anything processed. Fruits are not necessarily bad for you as they contain many nutrients and antioxidants, as well as fiber. Fruit juices are not good for you overall. They contain too much sugar and the fiber is processed out of it. Fructose (the sugars found in fruit) processes through your body more slowly than sucrose (white sugar), so it doesn't cause the blood sugar spikes that sucrose does.

I heard on the news last night that someone (I didn't hear who) just completed a nine year study of low fat vs. low carb diets. Low carb diets caused the most early weight loss, but after nine years almost all the people doing low carb had regained the weight, where far fewer low fat people regained the weight.

And one other thing....Curtis, you are probably not eating enough to build enough muscle mass effectively. You need more calories than you are currently getting. Just make them "good" calories. If you don't enough your body will think it's starving and start breaking down muscle to get nutrients.

Former personal trainer here, if you're wondering...or even if you're not! :wavey:

Yep - my problem is the love for the bad carbs... :distress:

BUT I refuse to take part in any diet that requires me to cut out any of the food groups - I try to portion and get the recomended servings of the groups - but hey whatever floats people's boats....

For now I'm trying very hard (okay not that hard) to cut the bad carbs...but pretty much I think it's a lost cause seeing that the holiday's are upon us - so I'll just kick it into high gear after Christmas :nod:

The good thing is since I work out I'm not really gaining any weight - just not losing - I'd rather maintain than gain -so I'm not too freaked out about my less than stellar eating habits...

*goes off to warm a pasta dish :p )

heyjupiter678
11-17-2004, 12:28 PM
I will NEVEr go on a no carb diet...probably not even low carb - but I absolutely need to cut back....
There's no such thing as a no carb diet. You HAVE to have carbs. Atkins and South Beach do not advocate cutting out an entire food group. You limit your carbs in the first couple weeks, then you slowly reintroduce the healthy carbs back into your diet. But I don't believe there's any diet that says you should cut out all carbs -- that's massively unhealthy.

DrummerDeanna
11-17-2004, 12:32 PM
There's no such thing as a no carb diet. You HAVE to have carbs. Atkins and South Beach do not advocate cutting out an entire food group. You limit your carbs in the first couple weeks, then you slowly reintroduce the healthy carbs back into your diet. But I don't believe there's any diet that says you should cut out all carbs -- that's massively unhealthy.

Ah - yeah I knew the first phases of the diets included a no carb part - even with a re-introduction...wouldn't do it - I love food too much - and I'm not obese or anything so really I just try and eat what I like....which thankfully isn't ALL bad- but yeah - no low carb diets for me...no way...

dissention
11-17-2004, 01:08 PM

AND - the South Beach Diet is the best one and you can eat much more carbs than on Atkins. You can eat bread, rice, potato, etc. You just can't eat it all at once.

hayley
11-17-2004, 01:17 PM
The new Weight Watchers Core plan is pretty good, too. You can basically eat as much as you want of things that are on their core list- which basically includes fat free dairy, fruits, vegetables, lean meats, seafood, etc. You can have whole wheat pasta or potatoes or brown rice, etc. once a day for free, then anything outside of that one serving you have to count points for. You have 35 points a week for non-core foods. I like it, it cuts out all processed foods, snack foods, sugar. If you're going to have any of those types of foods, you have to count points for them and it's such a reminder about how none of those foods are worth it.

blahblahdietcakes

heyjupiter678
11-17-2004, 01:23 PM
AND - the South Beach Diet is the best one and you can eat much more carbs than on Atkins. You can eat bread, rice, potato, etc. You just can't eat it all at once.
I have to get the South Beach book. :nod: I lost over 30 pounds on Atkins, but I really got bored with the food choices so I started slacking off. South Beach sounds great, though.

SuzeQuze
11-17-2004, 01:47 PM
Good Morning America did a spot this morning on sleep deprivation and how it increases your risk for obesity. It has something to do with the body creating extra hormones when you don't get enough sleep, hormones that increase your appetite. One more reason for me not to feel guilty about my 8 or 9 + a night :)

wondergirl9847
11-17-2004, 02:27 PM
Sorry, but I just don't. I'll do what works for me, which is exercise. :nod:

I'm addicted to Lemon-Lime Gatorade...don't know if that's any better than soda or whatever...but I drink it every single day. If I run out, I panic. :laugh:

I just bought some Total cereal...which I'll try to start eating. :thumbsup: Baby steps. Heh.

dissention
11-17-2004, 02:31 PM
I'm addicted to Lemon-Lime Gatorade...don't know if that's any better than soda or whatever...but I drink it every single day. If I run out, I panic. :laugh:

You're going to get gallstones eventually! Gatorade is worse than soda, it's pure sugar and nothing else and the carbs don't mesh well. I once saw a newmagazine show (maybe 20/20?) that showed how they made Gatorade and all kinds of other drinks. They literally melt the sugar down for it. Very icky. :laugh:

amber
11-17-2004, 02:33 PM
I'm gonna do it. But i don't really like rice, bread, and potatoes are ok if french fried. any chip/cracker/tortilla sub :p probably not...

amber
11-17-2004, 02:35 PM
You're going to get gallstones eventually! Gatorade is worse than soda, it's pure sugar and nothing else and the carbs don't mesh well. I once saw a newmagazine show (maybe 20/20?) that showed how they made Gatorade and all kinds of other drinks. They literally melt the sugar down for it. Very icky. :laugh:
If it's pure sugar, why does the nutritional information say it has less carb/sugar then soda? And why fewer calories? I like gatorade, too, especially when i had too much to drink the night before, but i won't die without it.

dissention
11-17-2004, 02:35 PM
I'm gonna do it. But i don't really like rice, bread, and potatoes are ok if french fried. any chip/cracker/tortilla sub :p probably not...

Get the book it's good reading. :woohoo: You can eat natural tortilla chips, but no Doritos. :laugh:

dissention
11-17-2004, 02:38 PM
If it's pure sugar, why does the nutritional information say it has less carb/sugar then soda? And why fewer calories? I like gatorade, too, especially when i had too much to drink the night before, but i won't die without it.

Beats me. Why do you think athletes drink it? Because it's got lots of carbs. Bad sugar (white sugar) = carbs. Your body doesn't break down bad sugars very well, it just stores it. Then it turns into fat. :laugh:

amber
11-17-2004, 02:44 PM
Beats me. Why do you think athletes drink it? Because it's got lots of carbs. Bad sugar (white sugar) = carbs. Your body doesn't break down bad sugars very well, it just stores it. Then it turns into fat. :laugh:
I know that, but it has potassium and electrolytes, which are depleted during exercise. I was kind of asking in the compare to soda way. I, personally, try to limit drinks that aren't water. People consume a lot of extra sugar calories without absorbing hardly any nutrients from juice, for instance.

dissention
11-17-2004, 02:47 PM
I know that, but it has potassium and electrolytes, which are depleted during exercise. I was kind of asking in the compare to soda way. I, personally, try to limit drinks that aren't water. People consume a lot of extra sugar calories without absorbing hardly any nutrients from juice, for instance.

Yeah, but just think of what people who aren't exercising are drinking when they drink Gatorade. :laugh: Who cares if it has electrolytes and potassium, especially if it's loaded with sugar and carbs. Take a vitamin! :laugh:

All I drink is water. I piss eight times a day. :laugh:

DrummerDeanna
11-17-2004, 02:51 PM
Good Morning America did a spot this morning on sleep deprivation and how it increases your risk for obesity. It has something to do with the body creating extra hormones when you don't get enough sleep, hormones that increase your appetite. One more reason for me not to feel guilty about my 8 or 9 + a night :)

Yep - people are always giving me slack because of the amount of sleep I get - 8-10 hours (okay 10 is rare - but once in a while I enjoy a good 10hrs.) I refuse to get less than 8hrs a night....

I read about this sleep thing in our local paper - I was ecxited....haha...I really really really need my sleep in order to function as a proper human being - I'm a total fright without sleep...

amber
11-17-2004, 02:53 PM
Yeah, but just think of what people who aren't exercising are drinking when they drink Gatorade. :laugh: Who cares if it has electrolytes and potassium, especially if it's loaded with sugar and carbs. Take a vitamin! :laugh:

All I drink is water. I piss eight times a day. :laugh:
Well, people in the middle of a 26 mile marathon might care, or a 4 day bikeride...A vitamin takes a long time to digest, and doesn't provide water at the same time like gatorade does...

dissention
11-17-2004, 02:54 PM
Well, people in the middle of a 26 mile marathon might care, or a 4 day bikeride...A vitamin takes a long time to digest, and doesn't provide water at the same time like gatorade does...

That's why I said people who aren't exercising. A 26 mile marathon certainly counts as exercising, in my book. ;)

amber
11-17-2004, 02:55 PM
Yep - people are always giving me slack because of the amount of sleep I get - 8-10 hours (okay 10 is rare - but once in a while I enjoy a good 10hrs.) I refuse to get less than 8hrs a night....

I read about this sleep thing in our local paper - I was ecxited....haha...I really really really need my sleep in order to function as a proper human being - I'm a total fright without sleep...
tell those people to f*** off. I myself usually get a good 9.5 hours, at least, when i'm allowed to sleep in. However, my friend functions fine with 6-8.

amber
11-17-2004, 02:56 PM
That's why I said people who aren't exercising. A 26 mile marathon certainly counts as exercising, in my book. ;)
oh...I didn't think you were applying that part to the no excercise people, because of course why would they care if it had those things?

DrummerDeanna
11-17-2004, 02:59 PM
tell those people to f*** off. I myself usually get a good 9.5 hours, at least, when i'm allowed to sleep in. However, my friend functions fine with 6-8.

Oh - they usually get a big ole' F*** off - and a - "if ya don't like it don't do it..." I was getting **** about it from a guy I recently met here who actually was not respecting ANY of my boundaries or anything - when he proceeded to argue about what color my hair is with me I knew it was time to call it quits....:nod:

dissention
11-17-2004, 02:59 PM
oh...I didn't think you were applying that part to the no excercise people, because of course why would they care if it had those things?

They wouldn't. :laugh:

I could care less what anyone eats or drinks, honestly, but they're the ones who are going to be hurting later on down the road. Especially once you start getting into your late thirties and early forties where everything falls over and you can't lose weight without having a tube shoved up your bum. :laugh:

SuzeQuze
11-17-2004, 03:00 PM
Get the book it's good reading. :woohoo: You can eat natural tortilla chips, but no Doritos. :laugh:

I have some Bearitos and they're so good! I try to buy all natural stuff, especially for this sort of thing because I avoid trans fats. I put the SB Diet on my Wish List.

SuzeQuze
11-17-2004, 03:02 PM

Me too! It is pointless for me to scrimp on sleep to try to get things done because I'm a nightmare and can't get out of my own way when I'm over tired!

SuzeQuze
11-17-2004, 03:07 PM

When I'm curious about how healthful something is I usually check drweil.com, here's a link to some <a href="http://www.drweil.com/u/QA/QA3283/">sports drink info</a>, including a recipe to make your own.

dissention
11-17-2004, 03:11 PM
When I'm curious about how healthful something is I usually check drweil.com, here's a link to some <a href="http://www.drweil.com/u/QA/QA3283/">sports drink info</a>, including a recipe to make your own.

Easy recipe! I'm gonna try it, thanks. :xoxo:

amber
11-17-2004, 03:23 PM
Oh - they usually get a big ole' F*** off - and a - "if ya don't like it don't do it..." I was getting **** about it from a guy I recently met here who actually was not respecting ANY of my boundaries or anything - when he proceeded to argue about what color my hair is with me I knew it was time to call it quits....:nod:
Gross! I hate that guy! :laugh:

wondergirl9847
11-17-2004, 03:24 PM

I can't frickin' win!! :mad: What do I have to do, eat tree bark?!

Screw it. LOL

dissention
11-17-2004, 03:26 PM

Screw it. LOL

I wonder what the nutritional value of tree bark would actually be. :laugh:

amber
11-17-2004, 03:31 PM

Screw it. LOL
Actually, if you eat veggies, fruits, occasionally lean meats, and whole grains, you'll probably be fine. A far cry from Tree Bark, i would say, and there are a ton of delicious ways to eat good foods. OH, and drink water, and i also get this tea that is really infusion, ie, there is just a bit of honey in it. it has 5 calories. And it's good for you.

DrummerDeanna
11-17-2004, 04:25 PM
Gross! I hate that guy! :laugh:

Me TOO!! :laugh:

estranged4life
11-17-2004, 04:36 PM

I dont even know what sleep is anymore, Maybe it's a foreign language :shrug:

If I get 5-6 hours it's a miracle nowadays. I used to stay up for 48 hours easily and then sleep maybe 4 hours then be refreshed...Shoulda seen me when Deb was hospitalized, I never slept, I ran on adrenal power only.

Kinda funny, But everytime I drive our car Deb falls asleep in the passenger seat...Now matter how far the drive I will glance over and she's out like a light. On the otherhand when I broke my foot last year (Feb 2003) and was a forced passenger I couldnt fall asleep while she drove no matter if ya payed me to, I was too busy trying to not heave on myself :lol:

Brian "Sleep...When?" j.

DrummerDeanna
11-17-2004, 04:46 PM
I dont even know what sleep is anymore, Maybe it's a foreign language :shrug:

If I get 5-6 hours it's a miracle nowadays. I used to stay up for 48 hours easily and then sleep maybe 4 hours then be refreshed...Shoulda seen me when Deb was hospitalized, I never slept, I ran on adrenal power only.

Kinda funny, But everytime I drive our car Deb falls asleep in the passenger seat...Now matter how far the drive I will glance over and she's out like a light. On the otherhand when I broke my foot last year (Feb 2003) and was a forced passenger I couldnt fall asleep while she drove no matter if ya payed me to, I was too busy trying to not heave on myself :lol:

Brian "Sleep...When?" j.

LOL - I totally fall asleep if I'm a passenger in a car...without fail.

My ex-boyfriend would get all annoyed because instead of turning on music I'd want to "talk" haha..then I'd just fall asleep and he'd be left in silence as I was the one holding the cds...poor guy....he started asking me to load music up before I fell asleep....

But yeah - there's something about not actually driving -I just doze off...

amber
11-17-2004, 04:47 PM
LOL - I totally fall asleep if I'm a passenger in a car...without fail.

My ex-boyfriend would get all annoyed because instead of turning on music I'd want to "talk" haha..then I'd just fall asleep and he'd be left in silence as I was the one holding the cds...poor guy....he started asking me to load music up before I fell asleep....

But yeah - there's something about not actually driving -I just doze off...
Yeah, i woulda kicked your ass too. talking is ok, but listening and singing in the car is waaaaay better, usually.

DrummerDeanna
11-17-2004, 04:48 PM
Yeah, i woulda kicked your ass too. talking is ok, but listening and singing in the car is waaaaay better, usually.

:laugh: Yeah - poor guy - that would totally piss me off had the shoe been on the other foot....but oh well...we're not together anymore - he can sing as loud as he wants in the car now ;)

mondaymornin1
11-17-2004, 04:54 PM
The new Weight Watchers Core plan is pretty good, too. You can basically eat as much as you want of things that are on their core list- which basically includes fat free dairy, fruits, vegetables, lean meats, seafood, etc. You can have whole wheat pasta or potatoes or brown rice, etc. once a day for free, then anything outside of that one serving you have to count points for. You have 35 points a week for non-core foods. I like it, it cuts out all processed foods, snack foods, sugar. If you're going to have any of those types of foods, you have to count points for them and it's such a reminder about how none of those foods are worth it.

blahblahdietcakes

I tried the core plan for a couple of weeks and it worked, but I just couldn't stick with it (though I'm currently subscribed to and paying for the online plan right now, duh!) Seems I actually eat worse when I declare "I'm on a diet," but I think I can pass on the 1400 calorie monster burger!!

I decided to start training for a half-marathon, thinking that maybe if I did that, dieting wouldn't be necessary. That would probably have worked, except I still can't kick the chocolate habit. Still training for a February race, though, so maybe I won't GAIN anyway!

Ummmm.....how many points for a roll of chocolate chip cookie dough? :rolleyes:

sodascouts
11-17-2004, 05:20 PM

Beef, cheese, bacon - what's not to like?

dissention
11-17-2004, 05:27 PM
Beef, cheese, bacon - what's not to like?

I hope that was sarcastic. :lol:

I can't even begin to imagine how bad it would be for someone to sit there and consume a 1500 calorie burger with 107 grams of fat. My arteries clogged up just by reading that article!

hayley
11-17-2004, 05:28 PM
I tried the core plan for a couple of weeks and it worked, but I just couldn't stick with it (though I'm currently subscribed to and paying for the online plan right now, duh!) Seems I actually eat worse when I declare "I'm on a diet," but I think I can pass on the 1400 calorie monster burger!!

I decided to start training for a half-marathon, thinking that maybe if I did that, dieting wouldn't be necessary. That would probably have worked, except I still can't kick the chocolate habit. Still training for a February race, though, so maybe I won't GAIN anyway!

I've lost about forty pounds on Weight Watchers, and have recently plateaued... but that's totally normal, and I just need to get the balls to break it. I liked Core, because it felt less like being on a "diet" than constantly counting points was. I just felt better knowing that I was making good choices and not really having to worry about it all the time. Changed my eating habits even more than they already had changed, for the better.

And as for the roll of cookie dough... haa! Knowing that that new monster burger Hardee's thingie is about 30 points made me want to throw up!

strandinthewind
11-17-2004, 05:30 PM

I can't even begin to imagine how bad it would be for someone to sit there and consume a 1500 calorie burger with 107 grams of fat. My arteries clogged up just by reading that article!

Not to mention the large fires and real coke to go with it :eek:

Seriously, I think food like this is fine once in a great while - I mean ya gotta live and that to me is living large :laugh: - but everyday will kill ya quick.

sodascouts
11-17-2004, 05:31 PM

Nope, not sarcastic! Yeah, it's too big, but otherwise I think taste-wise it looks good!

And yeah, it's certainly not healthy. That goes without saying. But the reason someone would want to eat it is that it looks pretty tasty, if you have a big enough appetite for it!

SuzeQuze
11-17-2004, 05:52 PM

Don't kick it. Just stick to the dark kind and keep the portion moderate. It is loaded with antioxidants! Dove is excellent.

pianogirl04
11-17-2004, 05:54 PM

Am I the only one who's had an allergic reaction to Splenda?

pianogirl04
11-17-2004, 06:05 PM
BUT I refuse to take part in any diet that requires me to cut out any of the food groups - I try to portion and get the recomended servings of the groups - but hey whatever floats people's boats....

That's sort of what I'm trying to do. I don't want to go on a diet -- I've tried Atkins and I can't handle it. My mom's done that one and the 5 day miracle diet and after she stopped, she put all the weight back on. We just went through a whole section on nutrition in biology and I've decided that it's not time for a diet, it's time for a major, lifelong change. I can't just do something and then go back to the way I was -- it's time I learned to moderate what I eat, how much I eat, and how much activity I get. I've been heavy all my life and it's not that I want to be skinny, I know I never will be and I'm fine with that, but it's time I did something about this extra weight -- and do something for good. :nod:

amber
11-17-2004, 06:14 PM
oh, by the way, the dairy group isn't even really good for you at all. Especially cheese. So everyone would be way better off without that one...

pianogirl04
11-17-2004, 06:15 PM

That makes a lot of sense. Last year I got maybe 4 hours a night and I would stay up working on English and I'd eat to stay awake. I didn't gain a ton of weight, but I put on a few pounds... I did a lot of walking though -- I started wearing a pedometer last year and I walked between 6-7k steps a day. Even that much helped -- I lost just a few pounds by the end of the year, but I would love to do 8-9k a day on a regular basis.

I'm so glad I'm in college now -- I can sleep! :thumbsup: Well, sort of..

David
11-17-2004, 10:11 PM
Beef, cheese, bacon - what's not to like?They could only improve it if they substituted real cheese for that waxy, chemically unidentifiable product they call "American cheese," which has about as much to do with the one as with the other.

Put a real slice of Swiss cheese on it, you cheap bastards!

Hawkeye
11-17-2004, 11:25 PM
They could only improve it if they substituted real cheese for that waxy, chemically unidentifiable product they call "American cheese," which has about as much to do with the one as with the other.

Put a real slice of Swiss cheese on it, you cheap bastards!

NEVER. I personally liek whatever it is they put on most fast food cheesburgers. And I DESPISE Swiss Chees with a passion.

Johnny Stew
11-18-2004, 12:12 AM
Two Angus burgers, four strips of bacon, three slices of cheese, AND mayonnaise?!?
If we had a Hardee's around here, I'd be all over that thing!
And I'd be ordering it with large fries, thank you very much.

I like to eat, and I always have... I make no apologies for that. When I was a kid, I was always about 35 lbs. less than everyone else. And I absolutely hated being so skinny.

The upside though, was that I could eat anything and everything I wanted, and never gain weight (in fact, I was the only one of my friends who would LOSE weight over the holidays).

Of course, being 32 now, my metabolism isn't quite what it used to be, so I gained weight. However, I should add that what really did me in was the fact that I'd eat Virginia Baked Ham sandwiches with a handful of BBQ chips at 4am... and then go to bed!

I ended up getting up to 176 lbs, which really isn't bad for a 5'10" man, but I didn't gain it in a flattering way, so I did South Beach towards the end of Summer, and lost 20 lbs.

For anyone thinking about it, it's really a good diet. Seriously, if I could do it, anyone can (as my brother says, I have all the will-power of Augustus Gloop in a chocolate factory).
The first week was tough because you feel hungry (at least I did), and the second week was tough because you start to crave things... but, after that, it became easier.

I did the diet for five weeks... through Phase One and Phase Two, and one week of Phase Three... and then I started to reintroduce my favorite foods back into my diet.

For me, the most beneficial thing was getting rid of my bad eating habits (such as the aforementioned 4am sandwiches).

I now fluctuate between 155 and 160, and that's a good weight for me. If I actually got off my lazy bum and exercised, I'm sure I'd end up losing a few more... but I'm really not looking to lose more. I just want to maintain my current weight-range... which I have for about two and a half months now.

But, trust me, when I want a Big Mac, I have a Big Mac. When I want pizza, I have pizza. Same with pasta, french fries and mashed potatoes, etc.
I don't want to be overweight or unhealthy, but life's too short to deny myself the foods I enjoy.

dissention
11-18-2004, 09:10 AM
But, trust me, when I want a Big Mac, I have a Big Mac. When I want pizza, I have pizza. Same with pasta, french fries and mashed potatoes, etc.
I don't want to be overweight or unhealthy, but life's too short to deny myself the foods I enjoy.

Get back to me in ten years and we'll see if that statement changes any. :laugh: You automatically make yourself unhealthy by eating Big Macs, man. And them wretched fries, oy. Go get the DVD for Super Size Me and watch the extras!!! :lol:

DrummerDeanna
11-18-2004, 10:29 AM
Get back to me in ten years and we'll see if that statement changes any. :laugh: You automatically make yourself unhealthy by eating Big Macs, man. And them wretched fries, oy. Go get the DVD for Super Size Me and watch the extras!!! :lol:

I disagree - you're not automatically unhealthy for enjoying some fast food now and then...ALL the time...then yeah unhealthyville....but eathing a McDonald's "meal" every once in a while is not going to result in Super Size Me results....

I'm with Johnny - if I want something bad - I eat it (within reason) - life's too short, I don't want to be on my death bed thinking, "damn. I should've had thant damn doughnut..."

hayley
11-18-2004, 10:44 AM
oh, by the way, the dairy group isn't even really good for you at all. Especially cheese. So everyone would be way better off without that one...

That's not true. Dairy isn't just good for calcium, the other enzymes it contains are important.

There are several studies now showing a link between dairy consumption and weight loss- people who had their two servings of dairy a day were more likely to actually burn fat than others who had a similar diet, exercise, etc. The enzymes in dairy actually helps the body break down fat.

strandinthewind
11-18-2004, 11:04 AM
I disagree - you're not automatically unhealthy for enjoying some fast food now and then...ALL the time...then yeah unhealthyville....but eathing a McDonald's "meal" every once in a while is not going to result in Super Size Me results....

I'm with Johnny - if I want something bad - I eat it (within reason) - life's too short, I don't want to be on my death bed thinking, "damn. I should've had thant damn doughnut..."

Preach on sista - Preach On!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think everything in moderation is the way to go!!! :angel:

DrummerDeanna
11-18-2004, 11:08 AM
Preach on sista - Preach On!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think everything in moderation is the way to go!!! :angel:

Absolutely...now if I can only master the moderation thing....*thinks abut having a quarter pounder for lunch....*

dissention
11-18-2004, 11:10 AM

Of course not and I wasn't arguing that. But you can't sit there with a straight face and say that putting that **** into your body even once is healthy. :shrug: It's a fact that to eat so many grams of fat in one sitting, plus all the sugar and carbs from soda and fries, is unhealthy. You're not going to gain thirty pounds and have a heart attack the next day, but it still doesn't make it good for your body and it does f*ck it up in the long run. Therefore, it is unhealthy.

dissention
11-18-2004, 11:11 AM

Let's hope that you're not on your deathbed sooner than later because of all that McDonalds and those doughnuts. :laugh:

DrummerDeanna
11-18-2004, 11:27 AM
Let's hope that you're not on your deathbed sooner than later because of all that McDonalds and those doughnuts. :laugh:

:laugh: And I won't regret a thing :nod: ---oh and that's if all the sweet and Low I ingest doesn't kill me first :nod:

:D

And no - it's not healthy to eat those foods - not even once - but just being unhealthy once in a while does not make me unhealthy all around...I'm not sure if that even makes sense...and I'm NOT healthy all the time right now...so ha - don't even know what point I'm trying to make :rolleyes: I just have an undeniable love for quarter pounder's with cheese....and I'm trying to make myself feel better....

gldstwmn
11-18-2004, 12:06 PM
Me too! It is pointless for me to scrimp on sleep to try to get things done because I'm a nightmare and can't get out of my own way when I'm over tired!

I am a 6 hour minimum sleeper no matter what. If I don't get at least 6 hours, look out. :lol:

Livia
11-18-2004, 12:09 PM
Go get the DVD for Super Size Me and watch the extras!!! :lol:

I just watched that last weekend...I think McD's fries must be completely synthetic to have lasted 10 weeks in a jar without a speck of mold! :eek:

Oddly enough, that movie made me crave a Burger King burger. :shrug:

cliffdweller
11-18-2004, 12:23 PM
Oddly enough, that movie made me crave a Burger King burger. :shrug:

Glad to see the movie did its job. :laugh: :lol:

SuzeQuze
11-18-2004, 12:28 PM
:laugh: And I won't regret a thing :nod: ---oh and that's if all the sweet and Low I ingest doesn't kill me first :nod:

:D

And no - it's not healthy to eat those foods - not even once - but just being unhealthy once in a while does not make me unhealthy all around...I'm not sure if that even makes sense...and I'm NOT healthy all the time right now...so ha - don't even know what point I'm trying to make :rolleyes: I just have an undeniable love for quarter pounder's with cheese....and I'm trying to make myself feel better....

That is my ideal hang over food. It's what I always crave.

strandinthewind
11-18-2004, 01:39 PM
That is my ideal hang over food. It's what I always crave.

Lord Child - you read my mind!!!!!!! :laugh: :eek:

amber
11-18-2004, 02:43 PM
That's not true. Dairy isn't just good for calcium, the other enzymes it contains are important.

There are several studies now showing a link between dairy consumption and weight loss- people who had their two servings of dairy a day were more likely to actually burn fat than others who had a similar diet, exercise, etc. The enzymes in dairy actually helps the body break down fat.
That's because of the calcium. I take calcium suppliments cause of that. But dairy really isn't good for you, especially cheese. And i don't think the benefits of whatever "enzymes" cheese has outweighs the detriment. basically, from my 10 or so years of studying this, i will never believe that something that is made with cows (or whatever) milk is very good for you, and I will also believe that you can get the same nutrients in a much more beneficial way. I'll pull up my studies and get back to you with details. cheese is like the ultimate intestine/colon blocker. It's just really heinous on your digestion, not to mention it's main "nutrient" is animal fat.

Johnny Stew
11-18-2004, 02:49 PM

You're not going to gain thirty pounds and have a heart attack the next day, but it still doesn't make it good for your body and it does f*ck it up in the long run. Therefore, it is unhealthy.

I can't remember... do you smoke? For some reason I thought you did, but I could be wrong. I do know a lot of people who "only eat healthy," still smoke though.
Myself, I'd much rather put a greasy Mickey D.'s french fry in my mouth than a smelly cigarette.

If I had a Big Mac every day (or even every week), then, yeah, I'd expect to be seriously unhealthy. But for an occasional treat, I'm going to eat it.
If that's still a little unhealthy, oh well. :nod:

DrummerDeanna
11-18-2004, 02:53 PM
That's because of the calcium. I take calcium suppliments cause of that. But dairy really isn't good for you, especially cheese. And i don't think the benefits of whatever "enzymes" cheese has outweighs the detriment. basically, from my 10 or so years of studying this, i will never believe that something that is made with cows (or whatever) milk is very good for you, and I will also believe that you can get the same nutrients in a much more beneficial way. I'll pull up my studies and get back to you with details. cheese is like the ultimate intestine/colon blocker. It's just really heinous on your digestion, not to mention it's main "nutrient" is animal fat.

But it's so yummy :p

I read in Fran Drescher's book that when she completely cut dairy out of her diet - not only did she drop weight - she also pretty much got rid of her allergies...which I found VERY interesting...

Again - I'm not about to cut a whole food group out of my diet - I don't drink milk (but use Lactose free milk for cereal) but I do like cheese and yogurt...and Ice Cream (the most important of all the dairy products :nod: )

But - I've also been hearing about the three servings of dairy a day can help one lose weight...

There is SO much conflicting information floating aroundn about EVERYthing - I don't even know what to believe anymore...

Like - my fitness instructor said 30minutes of cardio a day was perfect..then I read this article in Fitness that says people shoudl get 1hour of cardio five days a week!! That seems a bit much - hahaha...usually I just "believe" the things that fit in with my lifestyle :D

Johnny Stew
11-18-2004, 02:53 PM
But dairy really isn't good for you, especially cheese. And i don't think the benefits of whatever "enzymes" cheese has outweighs the detriment.

I've been drinking 2% milk for years... my mother switched my family over to that when we were kids.
But for the past few months, I've been drinking only Ultra-Skim or Super-Skim... which, surprisingly, tastes really good.

I've also grown quite fond of those low-fat cheese sticks, which they recommend on South Beach.
Even now that I'm no longer following the diet (outside of eating low-carb substitutes for various things, and being reasonable in my food portions), I still eat those cheese sticks for a snack. :)

Johnny Stew
11-18-2004, 02:59 PM
There is SO much conflicting information floating aroundn about EVERYthing - I don't even know what to believe anymore...

I think the trick is to find what works best for YOU and your body.
For some people, low fat diets work... for others, low carbs. Some do great by consuming a lot of dairy, others by cutting dairy out altogether. And so on and so forth.

There are a million and one diets, and everyone swears theirs is the best... but I really think you have to do what works for you.

I don't recommend the cigarettes & coffee diet that keeps my neighbor thin though! :eek:

amber
11-18-2004, 03:08 PM
But it's so yummy :p

I read in Fran Drescher's book that when she completely cut dairy out of her diet - not only did she drop weight - she also pretty much got rid of her allergies...which I found VERY interesting...

Again - I'm not about to cut a whole food group out of my diet - I don't drink milk (but use Lactose free milk for cereal) but I do like cheese and yogurt...and Ice Cream (the most important of all the dairy products :nod: )

But - I've also been hearing about the three servings of dairy a day can help one lose weight...

Like - my fitness instructor said 30minutes of cardio a day was perfect..then I read this article in Fitness that says people shoudl get 1hour of cardio five days a week!! That seems a bit much - hahaha...usually I just "believe" the things that fit in with my lifestyle :D
Yeah, I used to be Vegan, but, for instance, last night i had cheese and chips for dinner :laugh:
But it's not the dairy, it's the calcium that helps you lose weight. You don't need to have any dairy at all to get calcium. And i would tend to agree that you should probably get an hour five days a week. I mean, if you think about the level and nature of activity that the human species' body evolved with, it only makes sense. Only in the past few hundred years have we become people who sit on our asses all day, Most people used to work from sunup to sundown, and before that, most had to literally follow their food around and hunt for it. I understand you are prejudiced against cutting out a food group, but, for thousands of years for a lot of different kinds of people (especially type O blood people, which natives (american and mexican) people are, Dairy was NEVER a food group. For a kazillion years, some groups of people never had dairy. And, for instance, NO ONE should eat pork - it really has no benefit at all. Just because something is a "food group" now doesn't mean it's really good for you...Anyways...

hayley
11-18-2004, 03:16 PM

The "enzymes" I'm talking about is mainly CLA.

I'm also mainly talking about milk, not cheese. You have to eat a lot of cheese just to get the 25% calcium that a food has to have to be considered a dairy serving.

http://my.webmd.com/content/article/85/98720.htm
http://www.gov.on.ca/OMAFRA/english/livestock/dairy/facts/cla.htm

blah blah

wondergirl9847
11-18-2004, 03:23 PM

That's one reason I don't diet...too much conflicting info. Milk is bad! Milk is good! Carbs are bad! Carbs are good!

AHHHHH!!! My head is gonna explode! :mad:

:laugh: Anyways, just do what works for YOU....all bodies are different.

amber
11-18-2004, 03:26 PM
That's one reason I don't diet...too much conflicting info. Milk is bad! Milk is good! Carbs are bad! Carbs are good!

AHHHHH!!! My head is gonna explode! :mad:

:laugh: Anyways, just do what works for YOU....all bodies are different.
Yes, but actually, a lot of bodies have remarkably similar biology...good try, though!

ontheEdgeof17
11-18-2004, 03:29 PM
Yes, but actually, a lot of bodies have remarkably similar biology...good try, though!

Sure, we all have cells, but in those cells are DNA. Everyone's make-up is completely different. If we all had similar biology, we would all look the same.

Johnny Stew
11-18-2004, 03:34 PM
Everyone's make-up is completely different.

I don't wear make-up.

*rimshot* ;)

dissention
11-18-2004, 03:35 PM
I can't remember... do you smoke? For some reason I thought you did, but I could be wrong. I do know a lot of people who "only eat healthy," still smoke though.
Myself, I'd much rather put a greasy Mickey D.'s french fry in my mouth than a smelly cigarette.

ME?! Hell no. I don't:

-smoke
-drink alcohol
-drink/eat caffeine
-do drugs

I won't even take prescription drugs. :laugh:

strandinthewind
11-18-2004, 03:35 PM
I don't wear make-up.

*rimshot* ;)

as a rule that is - but there was that time . . . Shhhhhhhh :wavey: :wavey:

:angel: :angel: :angel: :angel:

amber
11-18-2004, 03:37 PM
Sure, we all have cells, but in those cells are DNA. Everyone's make-up is completely different. If we all had similar biology, we would all look the same.
Um, the way most people digest and process food isn't "completely different" - it's not like we all have different internal organs :rolleyes: good try, though.

ontheEdgeof17
11-18-2004, 03:37 PM
I don't wear make-up.

*rimshot* ;)

You forgot to say, "except when I have a drag show"

dissention
11-18-2004, 03:38 PM
Um, the way most people digest and process food isn't "completely different" - it's not like we all have different internal organs :rolleyes: good try, though.

It's so funny, because I was reading an article yesterday about self-similarity in nature and it talked about that. :laugh:

Johnny Stew
as a rule that is - but there was that time . . . Shhhhhhhh :wavey: :wavey:

Hey, I had to dress like that to get those compromising pictures with Karl Rove! ;)

amber
I don't wear make-up.

*rimshot* ;)
um, ok, did you just say "rimshot"? :laugh: :lol: "meeemories..."

dissention
11-18-2004, 03:40 PM
um, ok, did you just say "rimshot"? :laugh: :lol: "meeemories..."

He said rimshot, not rimjob. :laugh:

Johnny Stew
11-18-2004, 03:40 PM
You forgot to say, "except when I have a drag show"

Man, I'd make one hell of an ugly drag queen. Plus, with these dang Italian genes, I have a five o'clock shadow three minutes after I finish shaving... not attractive on a lady! :eek: :laugh:

ontheEdgeof17
11-18-2004, 03:41 PM

Amber, my dear, digestion has nothing to do with it (a little, maybe), it's how are cells absorb it. We ARE TOTALLY DIFFERENT. Sure, we have the same organs, but everyone's organs work differently. My stomach is not the same as yours. I study this stuff everday, I should know.

amber
11-18-2004, 03:41 PM
ME?! Hell no. I don't:

-smoke
-drink alcohol
-drink/eat caffeine
-do drugs

So, what do you and your friends do at parties?

dissention
11-18-2004, 03:43 PM
Man, I'd make one hell of an ugly drag queen. Plus, with these dang Italian genes, I have a five o'clock shadow three minutes after I finish shaving... not attractive on a lady! :eek: :laugh:

:lol:

That's how you can spot an Italian, just look for body hair. :laugh: Works for both sexes, too. :laugh:

amber
11-18-2004, 03:43 PM
Amber, my dear, digestion has nothing to do with it (a little, maybe), it's how are cells absorb it. We ARE TOTALLY DIFFERENT. Sure, we have the same organs, but everyone's organs work differently. My stomach is not the same as yours. I study this stuff everday, I should know.
Dude, what good nutrition is for most people just doesn't have that much variance. Most of the variance will be due to allergy. and cells are not that different You will never convince me, so you can stop trying right now if you'd like...I know there is slight variance, but nutritionally, a lot of people are very similar

Johnny Stew
11-18-2004, 03:44 PM
I don't:

-smoke
-drink alcohol
-drink/eat caffeine
-do drugs

I don't smoke and I don't do drugs (never even tried them), but I will have a drink on occasion.
I'm almost entirely caffeine-free (just read my label! ;) ), because the caffiene aggrivates my anxiety levels... but I'll have some chocolate every now and then.

Johnny Stew
11-18-2004, 03:45 PM
So, what do you and your friends do at parties?

Each others nails and hair. :laugh: :xoxo:

amber
11-18-2004, 03:46 PM

That's how you can spot an Italian, just look for body hair. :laugh: Works for both sexes, too. :laugh:
Yeah, the other way is to spot the person who is about to Bitch Slap you for saying that!!! :cool:

dissention
11-18-2004, 03:47 PM
I don't smoke and I don't do drugs (never even tried them), but I will have a drink on occasion.
I'm almost entirely caffeine-free (just read my label! ;) ), because the caffiene aggrivates my anxiety levels... but I'll have some chocolate every now and then.

I'm not a chocolate fan, it binds me up. :laugh:

I won't even hang around a smoker. My lungs won't turn into mushy dark goo because of someone else's stupidity. No offense to the smokers out there. :laugh:

ontheEdgeof17
11-18-2004, 03:48 PM
Dude, what good nutrition is for most people just doesn't have that much variance. Most of the variance will be due to allergy. and cells are not that different You will never convince me, so you can stop trying right now if you'd like...I know there is slight variance, but nutritionally, a lot of people are very similar

Nah. I don't believe it.

dissention
11-18-2004, 03:48 PM
Each others nails and hair. :laugh: :xoxo:

:laugh: :lol: :laugh:

I need a haircut, it's starting to get shaggy.

amber
11-18-2004, 03:50 PM
:laugh: :lol: :laugh:

I need a haircut, it's starting to get shaggy.
I guess if you and your friends aren't busy from smoking, drinking, or taking drugs, that leaves more time to get straight to the sex. :wavey:

dissention
11-18-2004, 03:51 PM
I guess if you and your friends aren't busy from smoking, drinking, or taking drugs, that leaves more time to get straight to the sex. :wavey:

And that's never a bad thing. ;)

amber
11-18-2004, 03:52 PM
Nah. I don't believe it.
so you think that some people should eat vegetable and fruits, and lean meats and whole grains to be healthy, while others will be just as healthy eating giant slabs of hamburger, cheese, pork, fried bread, candy, ho ho's, french fries etc? Yeah, that makes sense.

amber
11-18-2004, 03:53 PM
And that's never a bad thing. ;)
yeah, i'm thinking of converting... :laugh: Although, i'm not sure it would really be a trade, considering some of the nice random sex alcohol can facilitate...hmmm, it's a conundrum...but the smoking can definitely go, might as well smell better while we're doing it! :laugh:

Johnny Stew
11-18-2004, 03:55 PM
I won't even hang around a smoker. My lungs won't turn into mushy dark goo because of someone else's stupidity. No offense to the smokers out there. :laugh:

We don't allow smoking in our house, so when my friend Anne is here (the Grace to my Will), she has to smoke outside... and of course she always drags me out there with her.

This last time she was here though, she was too cold to stand outside (it never ceases to amaze me that folks need that cigarette so badly that they'll FREEZE in order to have it, but I digress), so she insisted I sit in the car with her.
Well, because she was more comfortable than she would have been if she were out in the elements, she smoked five or six cigarettes in a row. That's not counting what she smoked before we ate dinner, and what she smoked afterwards.

I ended up being miserably sick for the next two days from that.

So, moral of the story... next time, the chain-smoking cheese stands alone.

Johnny Stew
11-18-2004, 03:57 PM
giant slabs of hamburger, cheese, pork, fried bread, candy, ho ho's, french fries etc.

How did you know what I'm having for dinner?!

GET OUT OF MY HEAD!!!!!!!!!!

DrummerDeanna
11-18-2004, 03:58 PM
NOOO - I really don't think one needs an hour of cardio work a day....but again - it all depends on the individual...I dropped weight like mad with just 20-30 minutes a day and then weight work...

Now I"m just maintaining...but only going 3 or so times a week (to the gym) so in order to lose any more weight I either need to up the times of week I go or the time (which I"m not up for doing)...my laziness usually seems to win out in these situations...

I do think though that with all of the conflicting info out there (all of which seems to be back by scientific studies :rolleyes: ) it's up an individual to decide what is right for themselves :nod:

ontheEdgeof17
11-18-2004, 03:58 PM
so you think that some people should eat vegetable and fruits, and lean meats and whole grains to be healthy, while others will be just as healthy eating giant slabs of hamburger, cheese, pork, fried bread, candy, ho ho's, french fries etc? Yeah, that makes sense.

Depends on your chemicals in your body.

I'm not going to fight with ya. I know cells have the same structures, but they are not the same with function. It takes me two hours to digest a meal, and with others, it takes days.

dissention
11-18-2004, 04:05 PM
We don't allow smoking in our house, so when my friend Anne is here (the Grace to my Will), she has to smoke outside... and of course she always drags me out there with her.

This last time she was here though, she was too cold to stand outside (it never ceases to amaze me that folks need that cigarette so badly that they'll FREEZE in order to have it, but I digress), so she insisted I sit in the car with her.
Well, because she was more comfortable than she would have been if she were out in the elements, she smoked five or six cigarettes in a row. That's not counting what she smoked before we ate dinner, and what she smoked afterwards.

I ended up being miserably sick for the next two days from that.

Whenever I'm around cigarette smoke, my throat hurts for days afterwards and sometimes I even get strep throat as a result. Who the hell knows why, but I get strep throat three times a year. :laugh:

amber
11-18-2004, 04:06 PM
Depends on your chemicals in your body.

I'm not going to fight with ya. I know cells have the same structures, but they are not the same with function. It takes me two hours to digest a meal, and with others, it takes days.
I rescind my previous statement that you will never convince me. I'm not usually that stubborn, and i don't like it. Evidence can convince me of things. And, though i have been studying nutrition for years and years, there is always more evidence. And i have never been a nurse. Plus, when i read the blood type book, I found a lot of evidence that different types should eat different foods more, or less. None of them were fatty gross foods, but...still. And yes, my stomach is made of steel, seemingly, while many friends i have could never eat what i eat, without feeling gross. Some get nauseous while trying to digest vitamins, or aspirin, while i could take, like 15 vitamins at once with 5 aspirins and be fine. I apologize for my bout of narrowmindedness! :shocked: :wavey:

amber
11-18-2004, 04:08 PM
Wow, it's my nickname! :laugh: :lol:

strandinthewind
11-18-2004, 04:10 PM
I'm not a chocolate fan, it binds me up. :laugh:

LORD CHILD - you do not smoke, do not drink, and eat only healthy food. I think we need to send you an emergency pack of fries :laugh:

(just joking - I wish I had so few vices :eek: )

estranged4life
11-18-2004, 04:10 PM
I laugh now because of the calories' we consumed because Deb's diet, due to her illness, was at first streamlined because the chemo treatments reacted negatively with her diabetes...Nothing junk food wise, just healthy foods to help boost her energy (She HATED the hospital food...But I LOVED it, LOL!!!)

BUT once she was doing Radiation her diet could include ALL the fast foods that one can possibly eat, Which helped her to, once again, boost her energy level...So she ate (Or shall I say WE ate...) fast food everyday she did Rad. treatments, And she still lost around 30+ lbs. during that month (Radiation was tougher than Chemo)...And what's weird is that I still lost 10 lbs. on the same fast food diet (Mainly from the stress of driving over 1000 miles a week) !!!

Brian "Fazzoli's addict #1" j.

amber
11-18-2004, 04:11 PM
Whenever I'm around cigarette smoke, my throat hurts for days afterwards and sometimes I even get strep throat as a result. Who the hell knows why, but I get strep throat three times a year. :laugh:
Yeah, now i feel bad for smoking. that's really severe! I never get sick... :confused: Geez, guess we can't get married till i quit.... :laugh: :lol: :laugh:

strandinthewind
11-18-2004, 04:12 PM

well, that doesn't mean you can't behave like one :cool: :p

(it is late - I am punchy :blob1: :] :blob1: )

amber
11-18-2004, 04:13 PM
LORD CHILD - you do not smoke, do not drink, and eat only healthy food. I think we need to send you an emergency pack of fries :laugh:

(just joking - I wish I had so few vices :eek: )
Wait! he's saved, cause he eats crab rangoons! *whew* :)

dissention
11-18-2004, 04:13 PM

*double swoon*

I tried lobster rangoons the other night and I threw up. Those things are nast-tay.

strandinthewind
11-18-2004, 04:14 PM

Not to mention, in the past, he used to eat General Tsao's chicken, which even when it is not from a good rest. is still pretty fab. :laugh: I think he is still seen sneaking money to the Chinese delivery guy on occassion :laugh: :wavey:

amber
11-18-2004, 04:15 PM
*double swoon*

I tried lobster rangoons the other night and I threw up. Those things are nast-tay.
I wonder why?? I've never had lobster, but i thought it tasted kinda like crab...

strandinthewind
11-18-2004, 04:16 PM
*double swoon*

yea - the texture of the Lobster is too rubbery, the meat too sweet, etc. I mean I say if your gonna have lobster, steam it or fry it. Actually, panned tail with a lemon butter sauce is sublime. DAMN THIS MF'ING DIET :laugh:

amber
11-18-2004, 04:17 PM
Not to mention, in the past, he used to eat General Tsao's chicken, which even when it is not from a good rest. is still pretty fab. :laugh: I think he is still seen sneaking money to the Chinese delivery guy on occassion :laugh: :wavey:
"still seen sneaking money" by our undercover operatives.. :lol: :laugh: LMFAO

strandinthewind
11-18-2004, 04:17 PM
. . . Brian "Fazzoli's addict #1" j.

Fazzoli's in the MF'ing bomb. I LOVE how they have a drive through as well!!!!!!!!!!!

amber
11-18-2004, 04:20 PM
yea - the texture of the Lobster is too rubbery, the meat too sweet, etc. I mean I say if your gonna have lobster, steam it or fry it. Actually, panned tail with a lemon butter sauce is sublime. DAMN THIS MF'ING DIET :laugh:
was it still mixed with cream cheese? I don't think i could eat lobster if it was presented as "the giant bug on my plate" *shiver* *barf* :shocked:

estranged4life
11-18-2004, 04:24 PM
Fazzoli's in the MF'ing bomb. I LOVE how they have a drive through as well!!!!!!!!!!!

tomorrow after Deb's PET Scan to eat (OKC has several Fazzoli's now)...

Man, I think they have one of the two the BEST Italian restaurant around (Johnny Corino's is great too, More real Italian food, But damn good food, Especially the Fried Eggplant!!!), Definitely the BEST breadsticks on the planet...And their much more affordable than the overated Olive Garden restaurants.

Brian j.

strandinthewind
11-18-2004, 04:27 PM
was it still mixed with cream cheese? I don't think i could eat lobster if it was presented as "the giant bug on my plate" *shiver* *barf* :shocked:

Not even breaking it open and eating the innards :laugh: :wavey:

amber
11-18-2004, 04:32 PM
Not even breaking it open and eating the innards :laugh: :wavey:
What do you mean? :confused:

amber
11-18-2004, 04:33 PM
tomorrow after Deb's PET Scan to eat (OKC has several Fazzoli's now)...

Man, I think they have one of the two the BEST Italian restaurant around (Johnny Corino's is great too, More real Italian food, But damn good food, Especially the Fried Eggplant!!!), Definitely the BEST breadsticks on the planet...And their much more affordable than the overated Olive Garden restaurants.

Brian j.
So Fazzoli's is some kind of fast food Italian restaurant? We don't have that...

strandinthewind
11-18-2004, 04:37 PM
What do you mean? :confused:

When you eat a steamed or boiled Lobster, you rip the tail from the mid section and then crack open the tail and eat the meat inside. Then, you rip the moveable part of the claw off (sometimes requiring a hammer) and eat the meat in there as well!!!!!! Hope that helped!!!

BTW http://www.fazolis.com/ :wavey:

amber
11-18-2004, 04:39 PM
When you eat a steamed or boiled Lobster, you rip the tail from the mid section and then crack open the tail and eat the meat inside. Then, you rip the moveable part of the claw off (sometimes requiring a hammer) and eat the meat in there as well!!!!!! Hope that helped!!!

BTW http://www.fazolis.com/ :wavey:
No, i knew that, but your sentence wasn't a question or anything, so i didn't get your meaning... :confused: But i guess, no, that's my point, i just want the lobster meat on my plate, i don't want to see the bug first...

strandinthewind
11-18-2004, 04:41 PM
No, i knew that, but your sentence wasn't a question or anything, so i didn't get your meaning... :confused:

sorry - was refering to you statement "I don't think i could eat lobster if it was presented as "the giant bug on my plate" *shiver* *barf*" - no harm no foul :wavey:

amber
11-18-2004, 04:42 PM
sorry - was refering to you statement "I don't think i could eat lobster if it was presented as "the giant bug on my plate" *shiver* *barf*" - no harm no foul :wavey:
right, i guess it was your lack of question mark that confused me...

Johnny Stew
11-18-2004, 04:46 PM
I'm one of those very rare, and apparently very weird, people who don't like seafood whatsoever.

No fish, no crabs, no lobster, no squid, no shark... nothing.

dissention
11-18-2004, 04:47 PM
I'm one of those very rare, and apparently very weird, people who don't like seafood whatsoever.

No fish, no crabs, no lobster, no squid, no shark... nothing.

I don't like shellfish for the most part. Never eat something that carries its house along with it, you never when it was cleaned last.

strandinthewind
11-18-2004, 04:49 PM
I don't like shellfish for the most part. Never eat something that carries its house along with it, you never when it was cleaned last.

AND YOU LIVE IN LOBSTER HEAVEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

Oh Well!!!! - more for me I guess :cool:

SuzeQuze
11-18-2004, 04:56 PM
Lord Child - you read my mind!!!!!!! :laugh: :eek:

Niiiiice :D

SuzeQuze
11-18-2004, 05:09 PM
AND YOU LIVE IN LOBSTER HEAVEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

Oh Well!!!! - more for me I guess :cool:

Right on, I'll take what Diss passes up. Lobster is sooo good. I used to be totally grossed out by having "the bug on my plate" but have gotten over that. I still don't like to look into the body though after I pull the tail off, ewww. But that tail meat is so worth it, mmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!! Gimme some tail!
:lol: :laugh: :lol:

amber
11-18-2004, 05:23 PM
Good, they're very polluted...so is shrimp...I can only take them in a couple forms, because....THEY LOOK LIKE BUGS!!! 'nuff said.

strandinthewind
11-18-2004, 06:21 PM
Right on, I'll take what Diss passes up. Lobster is sooo good. I used to be totally grossed out by having "the bug on my plate" but have gotten over that. I still don't like to look into the body though after I pull the tail off, ewww. But that tail meat is so worth it, mmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!! Gimme some tail!
:lol: :laugh: :lol:

Well, I come from the land where we eat crawfish, about 1/6 the size of a medium lobster and people usually eat pounds of them as illustrated here:

http://www.st-bernard.la.us/tourism/LCF/lcf2.htm (6th down on right)

and it is not uncommon for people to suck the heads as illustrated here:

http://www.st-bernard.la.us/tourism/LCF/lcf2.htm (3d down of right)

Have a GREAT day filled with dreams of crawfish :wavey: :wavey:

:xoxo: :p :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

amber
11-18-2004, 06:24 PM
Well, I come from the land where we eat crawfish, about 1/6 the size of a medium lobster and people usually eat pounds of them as illustrated here:

I am not going to look, i saw that on tv before. And I think the "suck the heads" part is NOT going to be okay with me in this instance.... :eek:

amber
11-18-2004, 06:26 PM
okay, i looked, but did not see head sucking. Good thing these pics were from kind of far away...

SuzeQuze
11-18-2004, 06:29 PM

Mmm, they were the first thing I ate in New Orleans, deeelicious. They were headless though, I'm not too crazy about the head still being on my food. I've gotten used to lobster though. Here in Chinatown they leave the heads on the shrimp when they serve them, yuck! I like my shrimp shelled.

SuzeQuze
11-18-2004, 07:50 PM
Diss' vice is this board!

I don't drink milk at all because no one really knows what the hormones can do over time. Breast cancer has gone up, hormones (both the cow's natural and the extra ones they inject) in milk could contribute. Long term studies are hard to do becuase they are expensive and it is hard to keep people from dropping out. So they just aren't done. No one <i>really</i> knows what this stuff can do to your body over time. However, there is some evidence that soy milk can help prevent breast cancer so I drink that. I drink the Silk plain kind. It took some getting used to but I really like it. Here's some other reasons not to drink cow's milk from <a href="http://www.drweil.com/u/QA/QA182741/">Dr. Weil's site</a>.

For good carbs, I'm in love with oat bran right now, straight up. You can get it at GNC. You just zap it for 2 minutes and then mix in your goodies and viola! I like it with a touch of maple syrup and raisins and walnuts (good for omega 3s). It seriously is good, like something between oatmeal and cream of wheat in consistency and taste.

amber
11-18-2004, 07:53 PM
you rock, suze! I love soymilk, too, but i drink vitasoy. oatbran is tasty, and filling, and good for the colon. I'm not good with the bready carbs, they make me tired, but it still rocks...

sodascouts
11-18-2004, 08:29 PM
ME?! Hell no. I don't:

-smoke
-drink alcohol
-drink/eat caffeine
-do drugs

Wow, dissention, you're such a prude! ;)

sodascouts
11-18-2004, 08:32 PM
So Fazzoli's is some kind of fast food Italian restaurant? We don't have that...

There's one within walking distance of campus and it's the main reason I could never do the Atkins diet. I stuff my face on their breadsticks at least once a week!

sodascouts
11-18-2004, 08:35 PM

One time I went with a friend to Louisiana to visit her relatives, including several young male cousins. One night for dinner they got a HUGE amount of crawfish and plopped it in the middle of table, in buckets. While I sat there painfully trying to peel mine and winding up with tons of spices under my fingernails, they were ripping through them so quickly it was unreal. Needless to say my dinner that night was very small, lol. But they were good!

estranged4life
11-18-2004, 08:37 PM

prude too, I never do drugs, smoke or drink alcohol...

But I am addicted to music (With being in pain ALL to often, like with my current temporary back ailment, I must be a pain addict.)

Brian j.

sodascouts
11-18-2004, 08:39 PM
prude too, I never do drugs, smoke or drink alcohol...

But I am addicted to music (With being in pain ALL to often, like with my current temporary back ailment, I must be a pain addict.)

Brian j.

I am too. I was just kidding!

Actually I have more bad habits that you guys because I do drink socially and eat unhealthily, as you've probably already surmised! As for caffeine consumption... well, I'm sure the amount of caffeine I consume daily would horrify you. Enough to keep awake long enough to finish reading, finish papers, finish grading, and still have time for the Ledge! lol

wondergirl9847
11-18-2004, 08:47 PM
LOL I don't drink, smoke or do drugs...well, except cocaine....and heroin, but that's all.

Kidding.

amber
11-18-2004, 08:50 PM
I am too. I was just kidding!

Actually I have more bad habits that you guys because I do drink socially and eat unhealthily, as you've probably already surmised! As for caffeine consumption... well, I'm sure the amount of caffeine I consume daily would horrify you. Enough to keep awake long enough to finish reading, finish papers, finish grading, and still have time for the Ledge! lol
yes, nancy, I'm horrified that you accomplish so many things. Cease and desist. You're making me feel bad. :mad: :laugh: :wavey:

pianogirl04
11-18-2004, 09:35 PM
NOOO - I really don't think one needs an hour of cardio work a day....but again - it all depends on the individual...I dropped weight like mad with just 20-30 minutes a day and then weight work...

Now I"m just maintaining...but only going 3 or so times a week (to the gym) so in order to lose any more weight I either need to up the times of week I go or the time (which I"m not up for doing)...my laziness usually seems to win out in these situations...

I do think though that with all of the conflicting info out there (all of which seems to be back by scientific studies :rolleyes: ) it's up an individual to decide what is right for themselves :nod:

I don't know what to think here. There's a bunch of articles in the back of my biology book and one of them is the "one hour is better than thirty minutes" one. I did an hour on the treadmill today and I've gone past my 10k steps (I have NEVER done that before), but my knee is killing me. So I'm thinking, after doing an hour, all of a sudden half an hour is nothing. I don't know what to do. :shrug:

dissention
11-19-2004, 09:01 AM
You will however openly criticise and ridicule those who have to.

Just when I'd forgotten why I don't like you, I was served a reminder. Dammit.

:D :thumbsup:

dissention
11-19-2004, 09:03 AM

Nah, I just want to live and stay healthy. Putting chemicals and **** into my body isn't going to help me achieve those goals. ;)

DrummerDeanna
11-19-2004, 10:57 AM
I don't know what to think here. There's a bunch of articles in the back of my biology book and one of them is the "one hour is better than thirty minutes" one. I did an hour on the treadmill today and I've gone past my 10k steps (I have NEVER done that before), but my knee is killing me. So I'm thinking, after doing an hour, all of a sudden half an hour is nothing. I don't know what to do. :shrug:

Are you just starting to work out I can't remember :sorry:

If so - then a good rule of thumb is to start slow!!! Don't over do it- if you want to eventually do one hour a day - then you should work up to it - but just starting and trying to do an hour (which actually some people have problem with) may not be great - I started with 20 minutes - then that was nothing - so I went to 30 - and now that's nothing so now I"m at 45....I just keep upping the ante....

Also - the one thing I've heard from everywhere - if you're in pain then stop...you should not be in pain while or after working out (not like bad pain - there are different "pains"

Janet
11-20-2004, 01:42 PM
I have a best friend who really needs to gain weight, really bad.

This would be good for her...even though I bet she could only eat half.

Now we just have to get a Hardees around here. None in South Jersey that I know.