PDA

View Full Version : Charlie and the Chocolate Factory?

heyjupiter678
11-15-2004, 07:56 PM
Is anyone else looking forward to this? I usually don't like remakes, but I can't wait to see this one for some reason. (Okay, probably because of Johnny Depp. ;) )

Here's the poster that just came out:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v490/heyjupiter678/wonka_sm.jpg

amber
11-15-2004, 08:02 PM
No, but he's probably a good choice...well, maybe an ok choice...

estranged4life
11-15-2004, 08:03 PM
Is anyone else looking forward to this? I usually don't like remakes, but I can't wait to see this one for some reason. (Okay, probably because of Johnny Depp. ;) )

Here's the poster that just came out:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v490/heyjupiter678/wonka_sm.jpg

Johnny Depp (Who is a good actor), But this movie will never top the original with Gene Wilder...No chance!

Brian j.

heyjupiter678
11-15-2004, 08:06 PM
No, but he's probably a good choice...well, maybe an ok choice...
I read that Tim Burton originally wanted Marilyn Manson to play Wonka. :shocked:

heyjupiter678
11-15-2004, 08:08 PM
Johnny Depp (Who is a good actor), But this movie will never top the original with Gene Wilder...No chance!

Brian j.
I agree. :nod:

sodascouts
11-15-2004, 08:08 PM
Is this going to be a straight up remake, with the same score and everything? If so, I might see it. I love that song "There is no place I know to compare with your imagination..." and, every time I went shopping for broker tickets on GoldenTickets.com this past tour, I couldn't help it. I'd inevitably start humming "I've got a golden ticket! I've got a golden ticket! I've got a golden chance to make my way! And with a golden ticket it's a Golden Day!"

amber
11-15-2004, 08:12 PM
I read that Tim Burton originally wanted Marilyn Manson to play Wonka. :shocked:
wow, strange choice! I think Johnny will be ok, but his eyes aren't as buggy, crazy, or light. To be fair, i don't think i like the movie as much as everyone else...Also i don't love johnny depp as much as everyone else...hmm, perhaps i shouldn't have responded... :lol: :laugh:

AliP
11-15-2004, 08:12 PM
In no way could this one or the last one compare with the book. I remember when I saw the movie with Gene Wilder I was like "That's not what happened in the book!" I was very disappointed to say the least.

heyjupiter678
11-15-2004, 08:17 PM
In no way could this one or the last one compare with the book. I remember when I saw the movie with Gene Wilder I was like "That's not what happened in the book!" I was very disappointed to say the least.
This one is supposed to be much more faithful to Dahl's book than the 1971 version, so we'll see. :shrug:

GODDESS6
11-15-2004, 08:20 PM
i still remember seeing the original in the theaters when i was 3 & a half, I bought the dvd the day it came out & have since watched it a jillion times, it was on cinemax this morning & my son was watching it while eating breakfast~ i do think johnny depp is a good choice, but mayb cuz that is cuz i think he is SUPER HOT! :nod: ~ tho this is a classic i think it'll b hard-pressed 2 live up 2 the originals awesomeness, the story, effect & hell the way u feel @ the end r gonna b hard 2 duplicate!!!~ it is 1 of the gr8 childhood movies that remains timeless in this age of computer generated movies 4 kids, me 4 one, will take willy wonka over any of them anyday of the week!!! :thumbsup: :wavey: :thumbsup: ~

blessed be~
jill

seeker007nmss
11-15-2004, 09:05 PM
Who are they casting as the oompa oompas? :D

strandinthewind
11-15-2004, 09:06 PM
Who are they casting as the oompa oompas? :D

Mary Kate and Ashley!!!!! :cool:

:wavey: :wavey: :wavey:

:cool:

GODDESS6
11-15-2004, 09:09 PM

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL :]

blessed be~

seeker007nmss
11-15-2004, 09:09 PM

LOL TOOOOOO funny! :)

estranged4life
11-15-2004, 09:18 PM

Oompa Oompas with an eating disorder...great :shrug:

Hell, Might as well get Kirstie Alley to play the chick that turns blue...and fat! :lol:

Brian j.

heyjupiter678
11-15-2004, 09:20 PM
Here's the verified cast:

Johnny Depp as Willy Wonka
Freddie Highmore as Charlie Bucket
Helena Bonham Carter as Mrs. Bucket
David Kelly as Grandpa Joe
Harry Taylor as Mr. Gloop
Ty Dickson as Oompa Loompa
Missi Pyle as Ms. Beauregard
Christopher Lee as Willy Wonka's Father
Jordan Fry as Mike Teavee
AnnaSophia Robb as Violet Beauregarde
Julia Winter as Veruca Salt
Philip Wiegratz as Augustus Gloop
Noah Taylor
James Fox

GODDESS6
11-15-2004, 09:27 PM
Here's the verified cast:

Johnny Depp as Willy Wonka
Freddie Highmore as Charlie Bucket
Helena Bonham Carter as Mrs. Bucket
David Kelly as Grandpa Joe
Harry Taylor as Mr. Gloop
Ty Dickson as Oompa Loompa
Missi Pyle as Ms. Beauregard
Christopher Lee as Willy Wonka's Father
Jordan Fry as Mike Teavee
AnnaSophia Robb as Violet Beauregarde
Julia Winter as Veruca Salt
Philip Wiegratz as Augustus Gloop
Noah Taylor
James Fox

awesome, thanx 4 the info!!!~

blessed be~
jill

DeadliestPoison
11-15-2004, 09:29 PM
I really wanna see it, even though Johnny Depp scares me. He looks homeless all the time -_-.

I'm a whore for Roald Dahl, so sign me up for this one. The original, I thought, was lame. I'm glad they're not musical-fying it or changing the Oompa Loompas from the ones in the book (they're African/Pygmy instead of orange). And Tim Burton's always gonna be somewhat neat.

Dreammms
11-15-2004, 09:32 PM
[QUOTE=DeadliestPoison]I really wanna see it, even though Johnny Depp scares me. He looks homeless all the time -_-.QUOTE]

lol wow i think he is soooooooooo hot

yummy

sara1998
11-15-2004, 09:53 PM
Bring it on! This is the first I've ever heard of a remake. This actually made my night! I agree that it won't live up to the original, though.

amber
11-15-2004, 10:09 PM
I really wanna see it, even though Johnny Depp scares me. He looks homeless all the time -_-.

I'm a whore for Roald Dahl, so sign me up for this one. The original, I thought, was lame. I'm glad they're not musical-fying it or changing the Oompa Loompas from the ones in the book (they're African/Pygmy instead of orange). And Tim Burton's always gonna be somewhat neat.
yeah, i'm not a fan of the book, the movie, or johnny dep, but with tim directing, it might actually kick ass. I wonder why i didn't like the book? I tried to read it when i was seven or eight, and couldn't understand it, but that seems like the right age... :confused: maybe it was a different book. I better check that out...

hayley
11-15-2004, 11:32 PM
As weird of an idea as a remake of Charlie & the Chocolate Factory is, if anyone's doing it, it should be Burton with Depp. It should at the very least be completely interesting!

And Johnny Depp brings the pretty! I personally have been anticipating Finding Neverland for quite awhile. That f-ing trailer makes me cry everytime I see it.

DeadliestPoison
11-15-2004, 11:53 PM
I wonder if Burton's going to add his trademark "dark" style to it. I'd imagine it wouldn't be too hard (especially if they're going to use the classic boat/tunnel scene, which I think they are). But the book's generally feel-good, so...

Alison
11-16-2004, 12:06 AM
I had the book read to me when I was in grade 3. Needless to say that was a long time ago. My kids loved the book and the movie. I'm sick of the movie now.
I do prefer the book. It will be intersting to see what they do to the remake.
I didn't care for the first movie.

David
11-16-2004, 12:44 AM
Is anyone else looking forward to this? I usually don't like remakes, but I can't wait to see this one for some reason.I hate the original. This one will probably be a CGI nightmare, which is what all big-budget fantasies are these days.

DownOnRodeo
11-16-2004, 04:05 AM
I loved the book too much to enjoy one skerrick of the original movie. When I heard that Tim Burton had a plan to remake it, I was excited. I only wish that they'd add on the Great Glass Elevator storyline, which I liked even more.

Alison
11-16-2004, 09:25 AM
I liked big fish. Never saw planet of the apes. I liked the old ones to much to see the remake.

dissention
11-16-2004, 09:26 AM
Is this going to be a straight up remake, with the same score and everything? If so, I might see it. I love that song "There is no place I know to compare with your imagination..." and, every time I went shopping for broker tickets on GoldenTickets.com this past tour, I couldn't help it. I'd inevitably start humming "I've got a golden ticket! I've got a golden ticket! I've got a golden chance to make my way! And with a golden ticket it's a Golden Day!"

The remake is supposed to be 100% true to Dahl's book, which was very dark and disturbing. Add to that the fact that Tim Burton is directing it and it's pretty much guaranteed to be a weird and dark movie. :nod: With the exception of the Oompa Loompa songs, I don't think there will be any other ones.

The poster itself looks pretty grim, to these eyes at least. I can't wait. :lol:

dissention
11-16-2004, 09:34 AM
But the book's generally feel-good, so...

It is? :shocked:

The kids who misbehave suffer for it. In the book, one of them gets stretched like taffy and sent home that way. Actually, all of the kids ended up deformed. Wonka was a creepy dude who relished punishing bad children. :shrug:

The original movie was fantastic, IMO. It wasn't like the book, but it was incredibly disturbing. You're watching a normal movie and then WHAM, all of a sudden that unnel scene hits you like a Mack truck out of nowhere. People almost get chopped up by fans, a girl almost gets incinerated, a girl almost blows up, another kid gets permanently shrunk to the size of my big toe; it was weird, man. :laugh:

Livia
11-16-2004, 10:18 AM
I'm looking forward to Burton's take on it. And I think Johnny Depp will be magnificent as Wonka. The original is one of my all-time faves, I'm looking forward to the remake with an open mind....

The book was awesome! Diss, when you mentioned the taffy stretch (Mike Teevee), I vividly remembered the illustration in the book, with all of them walking out of the factory and he was like 20 feet tall! LOL

DrummerDeanna
11-16-2004, 10:28 AM
I'm totally stoked about the New movie!!!

I loved the book - and think it will be really interesting to see it translated to screen in a more true way...

I do love the original movie - but come on...it's a bit of a far cry from the book....though Gene Wilder is, indeed, awesome....

rbs3676
11-16-2004, 10:28 AM
The original is one of my all time favorite films -- it was one of the first DVD's that I purchased. I can recite lines from the film in my sleep.

I adore Johnny Depp and I think he will be fabulous as Wonka!! I think the magic of Tim Burton will make this film just as fabulous as Edward Scissorhands (another classic, in my opinion).

I can't wait for the film to open!

rbs

DrummerDeanna
11-16-2004, 10:30 AM
The original is one of my all time favorite films -- it was one of the first DVD's that I purchased. I can recite lines from the film in my sleep.

Me too :nod: In fact a good friend of mine in high school and I used to pass notes in class - however they were not conventional "what are you doing this weekend" notes....

We would literally draw entire scenes from the movie and write out the dialouge.. :laugh: We were just tad sad haha...but it was fun - I still have some of them...

SuzeQuze
11-16-2004, 10:43 AM
The remake is supposed to be 100% true to Dahl's book, which was very dark and disturbing. Add to that the fact that Tim Burton is directing it and it's pretty much guaranteed to be a weird and dark movie. :nod: With the exception of the Oompa Loompa songs, I don't think there will be any other ones.

The poster itself looks pretty grim, to these eyes at least. I can't wait. :lol:

Me neither, I love that kind of dark. I never read the book but I may just do that before the movie comes out.

hayley
11-16-2004, 11:47 AM
Me neither, I love that kind of dark. I never read the book but I may just do that before the movie comes out.

Everyone should read the book! I've been rereading all my old Roald Dahl books in the last few months. Just finished "The Witches" and "The BFG."

Sharon, I'm with you- Terry Gilliam doing Charlie would've been amazing. If it couldn't have been him, I'm glad that Tim Burton's doing it. When I first heard talk of a remake, I thought it might be some big awful Hollywood thing with Tom Hanks as Wonka and Dakota Fanning in it or something... hopefully Burton will capture the spirit of the book.

heyjupiter678
11-16-2004, 11:51 AM
When I first heard talk of a remake, I thought it might be some big awful Hollywood thing with Tom Hanks as Wonka and Dakota Fanning in it or something...
:eek: :laugh: :laugh:

Serrart
11-16-2004, 12:39 PM
Johnny Depp is a good choice, but I would have preferred Marilyn Manson, he could be a very good actor IMO.

Romy

DrummerDeanna
11-16-2004, 12:54 PM
Johnny Depp is a good choice, but I would have preferred Marilyn Manson, he could be a very good actor IMO.

Romy

I wouldn't have seen it if it was with MM - so I'm really glad that they chose Johnny Depp because I enjoy him quite a bit....for his acting abilities...I'm not a Depp=crazed woman...don't see the mass sex appeal there actually- but I do find him very talented :D

Serrart
11-16-2004, 01:05 PM
I wouldn't have seen it if it was with MM - so I'm really glad that they chose Johnny Depp because I enjoy him quite a bit....for his acting abilities...I'm not a Depp=crazed woman...don't see the mass sex appeal there actually- but I do find him very talented :D

He is very talented but if they really have to do a remake of a classic like this, I would have enjoyed a risky casting choice. :)

Romy

DrummerDeanna
11-16-2004, 01:31 PM
He is very talented but if they really have to do a remake of a classic like this, I would have enjoyed a risky casting choice. :)

Romy

I usually do enjoy when film-makers take risks but I'm not open-minded enough to actually see and support something Marilyn Manson is part of....that's just a personal thing though - but I am totally thrilled at the prospect of this movie...

amber
11-16-2004, 03:46 PM

The kids who misbehave suffer for it. In the book, one of them gets stretched like taffy and sent home that way. Actually, all of the kids ended up deformed. Wonka was a creepy dude who relished punishing bad children. :shrug:

The original movie was fantastic, IMO. It wasn't like the book, but it was incredibly disturbing. You're watching a normal movie and then WHAM, all of a sudden that unnel scene hits you like a Mack truck out of nowhere. People almost get chopped up by fans, a girl almost gets incinerated, a girl almost blows up, another kid gets permanently shrunk to the size of my big toe; it was weird, man. :laugh:
I thought it was creepy, too. I think that's why i've only seen it once...

DeadliestPoison
11-16-2004, 05:37 PM
I think the Gene Wilder version (which even changed the title) was weak. People have good memories of it because they remember it fondly having seen it as a kid, but as it movie it doesn't stand up. I have a feeling Dahl wasn't too fond of it either but I could be wrong...
Right. Dahl HATED the first film. I think it was because they turned it into a musical and changed his vision a little. *shrug*

DeadliestPoison
11-16-2004, 05:39 PM

Hence, generally, but I haven't read it since 3rd grade, so...

I read a theory somewhere that C&tCF was sort of an Anti-Semite thing. People said that Dahl was an anti-Semite, and that influenced his writing. Which makes me sad. I have no idea if he was or not -- I certainly hope he wasn't, because he's awesome and all.

Most of Dahl's books were INSANELY disturbing, if I remember right.

dissention
11-16-2004, 05:46 PM
I read a theory somewhere that C&tCF was sort of an Anti-Semite thing. People said that Dahl was an anti-Semite, and that influenced his writing. Which makes me sad. I have no idea if he was or not -- I certainly hope he wasn't, because he's awesome and all.

Most of Dahl's books were INSANELY disturbing, if I remember right.

He was accused of being a racist because in the original printing of Charlie, the Oompa Loompa's were African pygmies. After that, all of the printings turned the Oompa Loompa's into little white midgets. That's why they were orange in the movie version, because of the controversy over their skin color.

I think it's obvious when reading his books that he was a prejudiced individual and there are plenty of facts that support it, but no one really understands those things when they're reading his books as a kid.

amber
11-16-2004, 05:54 PM
:eek:
You are crazy!!
Charlie And The Chocolate Factory was my favourite book as a child, I remember reading it 10 times in a row. Roald Dahl is the best kids author ever!
I re-read it a few years back and the bit where he found the golden ticket made me cry all over again.
And Johnny Depp is the best movie star out there.
Maybe I am crazy, but not cause of that. To me he is not the best movie star out there. sometimes i find his performances dull...he's good, he's just not mesmerizing to me. Well, his cheekbones are a bit mesmerizing, but just cause i like cheekbones. Was there another Charlie book about going into space in an elevator or something? That's what was happening in the one I tried to read, but didn't like...And i think it's possible that Madeleine L'Engle, or C.S. Lewis are the best children's authors ever... :shrug:

dissention
11-16-2004, 06:04 PM
Maybe I am crazy, but not cause of that. To me he is not the best movie star out there. sometimes i find his performances dull...he's good, he's just not mesmerizing to me. Well, his cheekbones are a bit mesmerizing, but just cause i like cheekbones. Was there another Charlie book about going into space in an elevator or something? That's what was happening in the one I tried to read, but didn't like...And i think it's possible that Madeleine L'Engle, or C.S. Lewis are the best children's authors ever... :shrug:

Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator is awful, IMO. Dahl's worst book.

amber
11-16-2004, 06:06 PM
Great, i randomly picked the crappy book :rolleyes:

Serrart
11-16-2004, 06:08 PM
Right. Dahl HATED the first film. I think it was because they turned it into a musical and changed his vision a little. *shrug*

That's usually a good sign. Nabokov thought Kubrick's Lolita hadn't much in common with his book (true, however) and King hated Mr. Stanley's Shining (he loved the TV version though:rolleyes: ).

Romy

dissention
11-16-2004, 06:11 PM
That's usually a good sign. Nabokov thought Kubrick's Lolita hadn't much in common with his book (true, however) and King hated Mr. Stanley's Shining (he loved the TV version though:rolleyes: ).

Romy

I didn't care for Kubrick's Lolita (and I positively detested Lyne's version), but his take on The Shining was marvelous. King's novel was too cartoonish in many spots (topiary animals) and Kubrick grounded it in reality. And that TV remake was hideous. Steven Weber as Jack? Puhleeze.

amber
11-16-2004, 06:15 PM

Romy
Lolita is a case where i loved the book and the movie...

Serrart
11-16-2004, 06:25 PM
I didn't care for Kubrick's Lolita (and I positively detested Lyne's version), but his take on The Shining was marvelous. King's novel was too cartoonish in many spots (topiary animals) and Kubrick grounded it in reality. And that TV remake was hideous. Steven Weber as Jack? Puhleeze.

I liked Kubrick's Lolita mostly for Peter Sellers, he stole the movie :cool: and the director loved it, he made Humbert's character even more ridiculous and pathetic this way.

The Shining TV version was really pointless and uninspired. It made me love Kubrick's film more and more.

Romy

amber
11-16-2004, 06:25 PM
To me, Stephen King books are so crappy that i wouldn't care what he said about his films. :laugh: And i love Carrie.

amber
11-16-2004, 06:30 PM
I liked Kubrick's Lolita mostly for Peter Sellers, he stole the movie :cool: and the director loved it, he made Humbert's character even more ridiculous and pathetic this way.

The Shining TV version was really pointless and uninspired. It made me love Kubrick's film more and more.

Romy
Ah, I liked the whole thing, but yes, peter sellers was good. I have a small crush on James Mason, and as for the new version, I have a Similar, but way stronger "thing" for Jeremy Irons. I thought they were both perfectly cast. I haven't seen the whole Shining movie, or the TV movie, so...

dissention
11-16-2004, 06:30 PM
I was just thinking, wasn't Anthony Burgess unhappy with the film of A Clockwork Orange too? I believe it's because it doesn't include the (happyish) ending that sees Alex deciding to leave his life of violence behind.

Must be something about Kubrick that makes authors unhappy methinks!

A Clockwork Orange isn't my cup of tea, so it must be saying something that the man who created it all doesn't like the movie. :laugh:

dissention
11-16-2004, 06:32 PM
Ah, I liked the whole thing, but yes, peter sellers was good. I have a small crush on James Mason, and as for the new version, I have a Similar, but way stronger "thing" for Jeremy Irons. I thought they were both perfectly cast. I haven't seen the whole Shining movie, or the TV movie, so...

The only thing I liked about the recent Lolita was Melanie Griffith, she was perfectly cast. Irons looked too much like a pervert to begin with and that really hindered the movie. Plus, I thought Lyne's interpretation was rather distasteful, especially the sex scenes. He shot them as if they were scenes for Red Shoe Diaries. :laugh:

dissention
11-16-2004, 06:35 PM
I dunno, I think some of King's books are great. And On Writing is an absolutely fascinating read.

As is Danse Macabre. :nod: I read that ages ago and it still sticks out, which is funny because it was non-fiction. :laugh: The man sure has good taste when it comes to horror, both in movies and books. He mentions Tourist Trap with Chuck Connors in that book as his favorite horror flick and I must say that is one chilling movie, no matter how cheesy.

amber
11-16-2004, 06:39 PM
The only thing I liked about the recent Lolita was Melanie Griffith, she was perfectly cast. Irons looked too much like a pervert to begin with and that really hindered the movie. Plus, I thought Lyne's interpretation was rather distasteful, especially the sex scenes. He shot them as if they were scenes for Red Shoe Diaries. :laugh:
Hmmm, yes, the pervert look, i do love that, so you may be right. Luckily i don't care. I didn't care about the distastefulness...how do you think they should have been shot?

amber
11-16-2004, 06:42 PM
I dunno, I think some of King's books are great. And On Writing is an absolutely fascinating read.
I know, lots of people do. Perhaps one day i will read one that i think is great. someone told me about a fantasy type one he wrote, that is good and totally different then his other books. But with the few i've read, i thought the characterizations were terrible, and the writing really cheesy...like, the dialogue and stuff...and it wasn't scary, so i felt like this buildup for nothing...anyways

Serrart
11-16-2004, 06:48 PM
I was just thinking, wasn't Anthony Burgess unhappy with the film of A Clockwork Orange too? I believe it's because it doesn't include the (happyish) ending that sees Alex deciding to leave his life of violence behind.

Must be something about Kubrick that makes authors unhappy methinks!

I think Schniztler probably would have challenged him to a duel for his adaptation of Traumnovelle in Eyes Wide Shut, but I loved the movie!

Romy

amber
11-16-2004, 06:48 PM
:laugh: That is so true about Irons. His best creepy role is Dead Ringers IMO.
I think he's pretty hot sometimes. Jack Nicholson has that look too, and i think he is REALLY hot... :D

dissention
11-16-2004, 06:49 PM
:laugh: That is so true about Irons. His best creepy role is Dead Ringers IMO.

Oy, that movie gives me chills. And just think, it was a true story. :eek:

heyjupiter678
11-16-2004, 06:51 PM

Romy
Well, Marilyn Manson is playing the Queen of Hearts in the upcoming "Living in Neon Dreams" -- an adaptation of Alice in Wonderland. :nod:

Serrart
11-16-2004, 06:56 PM
I know, lots of people do. Perhaps one day i will read one that i think is great. someone told me about a fantasy type one he wrote, that is good and totally different then his other books. But with the few i've read, i thought the characterizations were terrible, and the writing really cheesy...like, the dialogue and stuff...and it wasn't scary, so i felt like this buildup for nothing...anyways

I'm not a huge fan, but he is a very good writer when he's in the mood IMO. Besides The Shining I liked a lot Different Seasons and Dolores Claiborne.

Romy

amber
11-16-2004, 06:58 PM
I'm not a huge fan, but he is a very good writer when he's in the mood IMO. Besides The Shining I liked a lot Different Seasons and Dolores Claiborne.

Romy
do you, or anyone, know of the fantasy book he wrote?

Serrart
11-16-2004, 06:58 PM
Well, Marilyn Manson is playing the Queen of Hearts in the upcoming "Living in Neon Dreams" -- an adaptation of Alice in Wonderland. :nod:

I've heard about it, and I'm looking forward to the film. :nod:

Romy

Sugar
11-16-2004, 07:11 PM

Eyes of the Dragon--I believe he wrote it so that his kids could read something he wrote...

Serrart
11-16-2004, 07:12 PM

I haven't read it but it could beThe Eyes Of The Dragon (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0451166582/102-4717383-0408146?v=glance)

Romy

Serrart
11-16-2004, 07:17 PM
Oops,
sorry, Sugar has already answered :o

Romy

amber
11-16-2004, 07:18 PM
I haven't read it but it could beThe Eyes Of The Dragon (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0451166582/102-4717383-0408146?v=glance)

Romy
yes, i think that's it! I thought it had dragon in the title! you are awesome and i love you! :xoxo: That is the one I will read...

Sugar
11-16-2004, 07:19 PM
I'd also like to take this time (as I occasionally do) to plug Dahl's short stories. Most of them he wrote before he ever thought of writing for children. They're wonderfully clever, dark, and strange! Roald Dahl is one of my favorite writers ever!

I'm looking forward to the remake, although I have recently come to really appreciate Gene Wilder's performance. Although not quite the Wonka of the book, I think it's a really great characterization on it's own merit. :wavey:

amber
11-16-2004, 07:20 PM
Eyes of the Dragon--I believe he wrote it so that his kids could read something he wrote...
Oops, thanks sugar - love you too! :xoxo: Yeah, that's what my bf said - for his kids...Did you read it?

Sugar
11-16-2004, 07:25 PM
No, I actually haven't read a whole lot of King. But something else I've read kinda in that same vein (horror writer writing for kids) you can try is Clive Barker's Thief of Always. A fun little tale about a kid who finds a new friend who isn't exactly what he seems to be!

dissention
11-17-2004, 08:44 AM
I think Schniztler probably would have challenged him to a duel for his adaptation of Traumnovelle in Eyes Wide Shut, but I loved the movie!

Romy

Traumnovelle is quite a fascinating read. I have a book that has the script for Eyes Wide Shut and Traumnovelle together and I must say that it's weird reading both of them together.

Eyes Wide Shut is great, though, I don't understand the hatred people have for it.

dissention
11-17-2004, 08:46 AM
No, I actually haven't read a whole lot of King. But something else I've read kinda in that same vein (horror writer writing for kids) you can try is Clive Barker's Thief of Always. A fun little tale about a kid who finds a new friend who isn't exactly what he seems to be!

LOVE The Thief of Always!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My grandmother bought it for me years and years ago and it's always been a favorite of mine. Every year, there are grumblings and rumours that it'll be turned into a movie but it never happens. The illustrations in that book are striking.

Dean Koontz wrote a childrens book, too, about toys that come to life. I can't remember the title off-hand, but I have it upstairs in my bedroom and it's marvelous.

cliffdweller
11-17-2004, 10:26 AM

Romy

And creepier!

I think Johnny Depp is a great choice though. I kind of winced when I heard that the film is going to be remade. The original is such a classic and Gene Wilder was really exceptional in the Willy Wonka role but I'll give Depp a chance, he's a great actor and I know he can pull it off.

I don't know that people are remembering how dark the original film really was-- go back and take a look, it's really quite creepy in places, especially the oompa loompas! They really freaked me out.

cliffdweller
11-17-2004, 10:32 AM
Jack Nicholson has that look too, and i think he is REALLY hot... :D

Please say you don't mean TODAY. :laugh: :lol: :laugh:

dissention
11-17-2004, 10:42 AM

I'm still recovering from seeing his ass in Something's Gotta Give. Something has to give alright, and it's his nude scenes.

cliffdweller
11-17-2004, 10:48 AM
I'm still recovering from seeing his ass in Something's Gotta Give. Something has to give alright, and it's his nude scenes.

:nod: :laugh: :lol: :laugh: :lol:

I was traumatized for days, especially since J.N. reminds me of my dad!!!!!!

dissention
11-17-2004, 10:49 AM
:nod: :laugh: :lol: :laugh: :lol:

I was traumatized for days, especially since J.N. reminds me of my dad!!!!!!

:laugh: I'll take a full-frontal Kathy Bates any day over even one of Mr. Nicholson's ass cheeks.

amber
11-17-2004, 02:16 PM
Sure, why not? I guess I woulda preferred a few years ago, but... :D I'm sorry to hear he hasn't kept his ass in shape, though :laugh: