PDA

View Full Version : The library

skcin
11-12-2004, 12:40 PM
Do you guys go? I used to go all the time, then I stopped for years (mainly when I was in college - I told myself that if I had time to read novels, I should have time to study, so I didn't read for leisure much.)

I started up again about 2 years ago and I love it, I rarely buy books anymore (unless I know I'll read it again.) I also occasionally borrow movies or CDs.

Anyway, our A-Hole county executive is crying poor & put out a budget that would close more than half of the libraries in Erie County (which is where Buffalo is.) Of course, nobody's offering to freeze their own salary, or give up the county cars they drive around in - let's just close most of the libraries! :mad:

Venting over. Thank you.

Paula

Gypsy-Rhiannon
11-12-2004, 12:47 PM
Yes... I use it all the time. We all do in my family. It's ideal for the kids. My 8 year old Rhiannon loves to read

Pip

SuzeQuze
11-12-2004, 12:49 PM
Do you guys go? I used to go all the time, then I stopped for years (mainly when I was in college - I told myself that if I had time to read novels, I should have time to study, so I didn't read for leisure much.)

I started up again about 2 years ago and I love it, I rarely buy books anymore (unless I know I'll read it again.) I also occasionally borrow movies or CDs.

Anyway, our A-Hole county executive is crying poor & put out a budget that would close more than half of the libraries in Erie County (which is where Buffalo is.) Of course, nobody's offering to freeze their own salary, or give up the county cars they drive around in - let's just close most of the libraries! :mad:

Venting over. Thank you.

Paula

What a jerk. I love libraries myself but haven't spent much time in them lately. My local library is closed on weekends and most nights so it is tough to get there. It is also tiny. I could hop on the T (Boston subway) though and go to a great library which I always think I "should" do but never think of it when I have the time! Libraries are wonderful because they are free. I always love the feeling of walking out with books I've borrowed without having to pay for them. Something for the little guy. What a jackass that guy is, I'm sure he could save the money another way. He is probably of the mind that the dumber the public is the better.

strandinthewind
11-12-2004, 01:33 PM
Many assert the net has made the library somewhat obsolete. I vehemently disagree :mad:

DrummerDeanna
11-12-2004, 02:13 PM

Venting over. Thank you.

Paula

Yeah - I've been reading about that on the AP wire...that really sucks...I've been reading some stuff on it - unbelievable....

-----

My mom worked in a library for the greater half of my life - on our town's college campus - so I have a great appreciation for libraries...when I was younger and before my mom worked in a library I used to go a lot to my school library - I LOVED the school library - and when my mom could she'd take me to the public library - then she started working on the campus library and in the summer there were days when I'd go to work with her = and just hng out on campus/in the library all day - I loved it...

Now, however, I don't go much - well I did just move here - but I should start going more - since I don't have a budget that allows me to buy lots of books - but I love to read...

Anyway - it really pisses me off too about the library closings round Buffalo...

skcin
11-12-2004, 02:45 PM
Many assert the net has made the library somewhat obsolete. I vehemently disagree :mad:

I do too! Besides, when I went on Thursday evening around 7:30pm, every single one of the computer stations was occupied, full of kids doing homework & internet research. There are plenty of people who utilize books AND computers at the library. It's not like theyv'e stopped printing dictionaries, or classic novels, or...

I think he's just threatening people, thinking maybe they'll see things his way, but still. He says if he doesn't cut a ton of $ out of the budget, he'll raise the sales tax - again! I don't really care, it's already at 8.25%, what's another .5 percent to me? That's what I get for staying in NY...

Paula

WelshWitchPMD
11-14-2004, 11:18 AM
I do too! Besides, when I went on Thursday evening around 7:30pm, every single one of the computer stations was occupied, full of kids doing homework & internet research. There are plenty of people who utilize books AND computers at the library. It's not like theyv'e stopped printing dictionaries, or classic novels, or...

Paula

Exactly. I went to the one near my workplace to try to buy a fan club ticket last spring. It was pretty busy around lunch time with people using the computers.
I went after work a few times and you could not even find an available computer. Keep in mind that this library is not in the best area of Providence and many children do not have the luxury of a home PC. The library is still the best place to go do research online or with books.

My Mother always used the library in our area. There are still many people who don't have the $ to buy books or get a PC.

GODDESS6
11-14-2004, 11:33 AM
i LUV going to the library!!!~ we use it all the time!!!~

blessed be~