PDA

View Full Version : Anybody fancy a 4 year vacation?

madformac
11-08-2004, 06:58 PM
This from BBC News

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/3985113.stm

Just as Paul Daniels and Frank Bruno once threatened to quit the UK if Labour got in, many Americans warned they would flee abroad if George Bush was re-elected. So will they honour their promises?
In the run up to the US presidential election last week, Hollywood veteran Robert Redford was asked what he would do were George W Bush to be reinstalled in the White House for four more years.

"I'll probably be in England, no Ireland," said Redford. Visiting or living asked the BBC reporter? "Living," replied the Oscar-winning actor.

Whether Redford was sincere or not remains to be seen, but he was not alone in considering such drastic action in light of a Bush victory.

The BBC News website received several e-mails from Democrats and other anti-Bush activists threatening, in varying tones of seriousness, to quit their homeland if George Bush was to win again. A few even mentioned moving to the UK.

Of course, in the cold light of day these sort of threats have a habit of coming to nothing. But there are signs that some, at least, seem determined to see it through.

Student Brian Boyko has lost faith in America

Brian Boyko, a 25-year-old postgraduate journalism student, says he is serious about moving to Britain in light of Wednesday's result. Mr Boyko, who actually voted for Mr Bush in 2000, says he fears Mr Bush's policies and his right to govern are based on faith over reason.

"I think this election was our last, best chance of changing the direction the country is headed in," he says.

Mr Boyko, a student of the University of Texas, feels more Americans will leave the country once Bush's policies really start to bite.

"I think it'll probably start with gay people and Muslim Americans, those likely to be the scapegoats. Something is rotten here. I'm just smelling it earlier than some other people."

"Even though I voted for the other guy, I'm still going to have my nationality associated with the death and destruction the next four years will bring, and I'd rather not. So I'm looking to reject this society and find another one."

He plans to leave the US after he completes his degree in May.

North or south?

While Mr Boyko is keen on Britain, Canada seems a more realistic option for others. The day after the election result last week, Immigration Canada's website set a new one-day record for visits, with more than 179,000 hits - 64% of which originated in the US.

I love my country and am proud to be an American, but I don't think I have ever been as down about this country as I am now

A tongue-in-cheek website - marryanamerican.ca - urges single Canadians to offer themselves as spouses to disillusioned Americans, thereby easing all those visa headaches.

The site begs readers to "rescue a progressive American from four more years of George W Bush".

A joke perhaps, but Ian Mitroff, 66, a professor at the University of Southern California, is deadly serious about considering whether to head north. But he's not ready just yet, he says.

"I'm in an immense quandary about what to do," says Mr Mitroff. "Another pointless war would make me go or if gay bashing and bashing of liberals gets so serious that tolerance is broken down, you would feel in fear of your safety.

"I love my country and am proud to be an American, but I don't think I have ever been as down about this country as I am now."

Tracking inquiries

He says a friend at a university in Canada anticipates there being a flood of applications from US professors.

George Bush: Uniting or dividing the country?
Lawyer Peggy Bowen, 57, from Santa Fe, New Mexico, is planning to head in the other direction - south. Although she had always wanted to retire in Mexico, she says Mr Bush's second term may hasten that departure. She views her options in remarkably stark terms.

"Freud stayed in Vienna until Hitler had completely taken over the country, but I don't want to be wrong about when it's time to leave. My fear is that I won't know when to get out."

The indicators are subtle and not altogether clear. The British embassy in Washington says there has been no increase in inquiries from Americans wanting to up sticks and cross the Atlantic. But at the US website Living Abroad, which links up American ex-pats, "past, present and future" staff have noticed an increase in traffic visiting the site in the days after the election.

"People are linking to the site and then clicking on one of the ads from Google for studying or retiring overseas," says website editor Ruth Halcomb.

"At our local hospital, nurses are saying 'where can we go'? I think it has everything to do with the election."

wondergirl9847
11-08-2004, 07:12 PM
You don't have to ask me twice...I'd move to England in a heartbeat...if my mom didn't kill me first. :laugh: Although, it has nothing to do with the Pres., I just loved it so much.

estranged4life
11-08-2004, 07:19 PM
the UK would be great, But Japan would be my first choice....Well that is UNLESS Stevie invited me to her place :lol:

Brian j.

gldstwmn
11-08-2004, 07:36 PM
I have these same half serious conversations with people on a daily basis.

strandinthewind
11-08-2004, 07:38 PM
I have these same half serious conversations with people on a daily basis.

I could see us in house on the Cote d'azure - perhaps Cannes :shrug:

madformac
11-08-2004, 07:40 PM

Always preferred Nice myself.. :laugh:

gldstwmn
11-08-2004, 07:48 PM

I thought of France.

strandinthewind
11-08-2004, 07:55 PM
Always preferred Nice myself.. :laugh:

I LOVE Nice, but I think it is too hustle and bustle. Actually, the Cornish Coast of England would be heavenly. I would love to resurrect our right of free speech :nod:

http://www.cornishlight.co.uk/tintagel.htm

madformac
11-08-2004, 07:59 PM
I LOVE Nice, but I think it is too hustle and bustle. Actually, the Cornish Coast of England would be heavenly. I would love to resurrect our right of free speech :nod:

http://www.cornishlight.co.uk/tintagel.htm

Been a good 6 years since I've been down to Cornwall. Great beaches, good sunsets, lots of old fashioned pubs and nice quiet relaxing villages. Must make the effort to go again next year, just the place to get away from life for a while. :nod:

amber
11-08-2004, 08:01 PM
Bali, Thailand, Belize, Costa Rica... :wavey: Greece...I'll wave to America from somewhere warm...

strandinthewind
11-08-2004, 08:01 PM
Been a good 6 years since I've been down to Cornwall. Great beaches, good sunsets, lots of old fashioned pubs and nice quiet relaxing villages. Must make the effort to go again next year, just the place to get away from life for a while. :nod:

I also have to say I LOVED wales., esp Tintern Abby - where I BELTED Rhiannon in the ruins LOL :laugh: Well, she is from there - so . . . .

I also LOVED Cardiff!!!!

estranged4life
11-08-2004, 08:04 PM
Bali, Thailand, Belize, Costa Rica... :wavey: Greece...I'll wave to America from somewhere warm...

but what I will be waving at America will be something long & upright (Get yer mind outta the gutter)...And is called the "Single Digit Salute" :lol:

Brian j.

amber
11-08-2004, 08:36 PM
but what I will be waving at America will be something long & upright (Get yer mind outta the gutter)...And is called the "Single Digit Salute" :lol:

Brian j.
:laugh:
ah, a classic, to be sure...

ontheEdgeof17
11-08-2004, 08:39 PM
Does Hawaii count as a vacation spot? I know it is US, but who really pays attention? :p

gldstwmn
11-08-2004, 08:46 PM
Does Hawaii count as a vacation spot? I know it is US, but who really pays attention? :p
Now, I could live there.

tuigirl
11-09-2004, 01:37 AM
Nice idea, going away for 4 years, but surely the UK is not the place to escape Mr Bush's influences...no..somewhere else far away to get away! I propose a mass Ledgie exodus to Australia / NZ :blob1: some remote sheep farm/hippie community on the Gold Coast.....XXXX anyone?

Moony
11-09-2004, 01:57 AM
God, I would love to move to Wales - I love Welsh! I've been trying to learn some of the basics of it on the net, but damn if it isn't difficult (plus I'm not too good with languages.)

New Zealand or Australia would also be great!

tuigirl
11-10-2004, 01:47 AM
Always overlooked but always very progressive. I needn't remind you that they were the first country to give women the vote. I say we head to New Zealand via Byron Bay. Ok, well I'm packed...........hello?

Haha...OK Lux, although I suspect we might get past immigration, a bit more easily than everyone else (assuming you and me both, have a blue passport).
Oh, and lets not forget, there's a lady running the country..can't be half bad!
BTW..I heard on BBC radio, just yesterday, that the NZ website, has had 10,000 hits from Americans since the election results....hmmmm, seems wer'e not alone!!!

strandinthewind
11-10-2004, 07:31 AM
Haha...OK Lux, although I suspect we might get past immigration, a bit more easily than everyone else (assuming you and me both, have a blue passport).
Oh, and lets not forget, there's a lady running the country..can't be half bad!
BTW..I heard on BBC radio, just yesterday, that the NZ website, has had 10,000 hits from Americans since the election results....hmmmm, seems wer'e not alone!!!

I want to live in Edoras :cool:

Actually, fair warning is given herein to the Aussie and NZ Ledgies - I am most likely going to Australia and NZ for a week or two next Summer. Be forewarned and start taking your vitamens now so as to be prepared for the pub crawl (dare I use the plural) when I arrive. I am lucky in that a friend got transfered for two years for work to Sydney; can you say FREE PLACE TO STAY :blob2: :blob2:

More details to follow!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cool:

Moony
11-10-2004, 02:00 PM
I want to live in Edoras :cool:

As in Edoras from Lord of the Rings? Or is this a real place? (Sorry, I'm an LOTR FREAK! :laugh: )

strandinthewind
11-10-2004, 02:06 PM
As in Edoras from Lord of the Rings? Or is this a real place? (Sorry, I'm an LOTR FREAK! :laugh: )

I think the sets from LOTR are still in New Zealand :eek: So, yes, THAT Edoras!!!!!

BTW - I LOVE LOTR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Moony
11-10-2004, 02:16 PM
I think the sets from LOTR are still in New Zealand :eek: So, yes, THAT Edoras!!!!!

BTW - I LOVE LOTR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry to dissapoint you, but all of the sets were torn down :distress:
Glad to meet another LOTR fan! :wavey:

SuzeQuze
11-10-2004, 02:19 PM
I thought of France.

Same here, I dream of fleeing to France like Johnny Depp ;)

DrummerDeanna
11-10-2004, 02:31 PM

I just read in some magazine yesterday that Bradd Pitt and Jennifer Aniston are going to move to Europe..haha..

I'm only about an hour from Canada...a definite improvement from only seven months ago when I was only 45 minutes from Mexico :)

SuzeQuze
11-10-2004, 02:34 PM
I just read in some magazine yesterday that Bradd Pitt and Jennifer Aniston are going to move to Europe..haha..

I'm only about an hour from Canada...a definite improvement from only seven months ago when I was only 45 minutes from Mexico :)

How do you like it up there? I have a friend who is from Rochester and loves it there but I've never been. Gosh it's freezing in Boston today. I am still wondering what happened to summer and winter is here! Ugh.

Wherever Brad winds up, I am heading for. :wavey:

strandinthewind
11-10-2004, 02:35 PM
Sorry to dissapoint you, but all of the sets were torn down :distress:
Glad to meet another LOTR fan! :wavey:

WE CAN REBUILD THEM :mad:

Thanks for the info though!!!!!

BTW PJ has Bilbo's house at his house, I think remember reading that :laugh:

estranged4life
11-10-2004, 02:37 PM
the local CBS affiliate's newsanchor read some emails sent in about this issue...One was rather F**ked up:

"If people like the self-appointed liberal Michael Moore would emigrate and never come back, those of us in 'Jesusland' would be forever happy"

I still cannot believe someone somewhere here in the U.S. of Assholes committed suicide after Bush was re-elected cause this person couldnt take another 4 years, Man that is the ultimate "surrender" :(

Brian j.

DrummerDeanna
11-10-2004, 02:46 PM
How do you like it up there? I have a friend who is from Rochester and loves it there but I've never been. Gosh it's freezing in Boston today. I am still wondering what happened to summer and winter is here! Ugh.

Wherever Brad winds up, I am heading for. :wavey:

It's a nice place to far - very different than where I'm from - but I'm enjoying it :) I've met some really cool people so that always helps :nod:

I can't wait to go check Canada out - I have been to Niagara Falls - but that's super touristy so I'm hoping to visit Toronto soon..

You know - I swear it seems everyone I talk to either has family/friends or once lived in Rochester - very stange indeed haha..

Moony
11-10-2004, 02:50 PM
WE CAN REBUILD THEM :mad:

Thanks for the info though!!!!!

BTW PJ has Bilbo's house at his house, I think remember reading that :laugh:
LOL. If we build them...Strand will come. :laugh:
Yeah, I knew Mr. Jackson had Bag-End. I'm so insanely jealous!

Even without all the LOTR sets, I'd still love to see New Zealand. It's such a beautiful country!

tuigirl
11-11-2004, 01:52 AM
Strand...I would hope you do more than just pub crawl your way around OZ and NZ..there's quite a bit more to do than that you know :laugh:
Yes, please keep us all informed about what your'e up to when you go......
I believe too Mr Jackson, had some of the Hobbittown reconstructed at his house, coz he couldn't bear to see them torn down...also....I think I read that there are guided tours around LOTR sites, so that might be worth a looksee as well

:wavey:

tuigirl
11-11-2004, 02:01 AM

Having lived there for 15 years, let me just say that after all that time, the French still made me feel like I was an alien from outer space...esp when I spoke English to my kids...nope been there, done that..good luck to JD though.

tynan88
11-11-2004, 03:38 AM
Lux where in Australia are you from?

Tynan

tuigirl
11-11-2004, 01:32 PM
Haha Lux...I'm from the windy city..actually used to live just north of where you are now..Yeppoon ring a bell? Oh yes, very warm and humid....
Strand..another movie with even better NZ scenery than LOTR..Ron Howard saw good sense to make "Willow" there, great fairy story too and a slim Val Kilmer (with hair extensions) to match :nod:
Hehe..not forgetting, "The Last Samurai" either, it always makes me laugh pretending that flax bushes grow in Japan..... :laugh:

SuzeQuze
11-11-2004, 01:36 PM
Having lived there for 15 years, let me just say that after all that time, the French still made me feel like I was an alien from outer space...esp when I spoke English to my kids...nope been there, done that..good luck to JD though.

Good to know. A friend of mine went there and she said she was pointed at on the street and yelled "AMERICANS" to and had to run. I don't know what that was all about. She said she was drinking a Coke and wearing sneakers, I guess that those 2 behaviors are a dead giveaway.

tuigirl
11-11-2004, 01:46 PM
Suze...the French seemed to got through an Anti- American phase at some point a few years ago, even though they have accepted McDonalds and the like(EuroDisney etc)they went on this anti use of most English/American words in everyday language, including a sort of ban on how many Eng/Am songs to play on the radio (when I left, it was something like every 3rd one had to be French).I hope JD can keep his identity and not turn into a Frenchman..it's not easy, when they look at you the way they do...don't get me wrong, there are some nice French (apologies to any FR ledgies) who accept you as you are, whatever nationality, but they are a minority, in my opinion..