PDA

View Full Version : (for US ledgies) This may be a weird question...

Villavic
11-08-2004, 10:51 AM
I'm assuming it's no secret that some of us didn't get what we wanted this election year. Then again, some of us did...and good for them. Truth of the matter is that both parties are going to have to nominate new people in 2008. So any ideas from either side?

I have no idea about the Republicans, but I'm going to go with Hillary Clinton for the Democrats (I CAN DREAM).

This may be a tough question, but I found it interesting. And I'm curious about what you think of your country and your people. .

First of all, I'm not asking if you are racist, or who would you vote for. I'm asking about what you think of your people, your country.

This question was born from a chat I had with an old friend from school. She is now a US citizen, she is latin, hispanic race. She lives in LA. She thought that it's easier for a black man to be elected as president (in the US), than a woman or a latin man.

So.. who has more chances to be elected as president in the US? a black man? a woman? Or a latin man?

(suppose the three have same conditions, the party you like, skills, talent, etc.)

Villavic
11-08-2004, 10:52 AM
When I say a woman, I mean a caucasian american woman.

DrummerDeanna
11-08-2004, 11:11 AM
Yeah - I agree that a black man would be elected before a Hispanic man in this country.

There is a lot of talk about minority issues - and as the fastest growing minority in the US- Hispanics have largely been ignored in my opinion.

I think there is still a lot of inequity in this country - and it's not just black/white - there are a lot of other minority groups in this country - you rarely hear about issues facint Native Americans (believe it or not there's more to them than gaming and alcohol), Asian Americans and other groups.

I have a lot of mixed feelings on this subject...yes there is a lot of inequity - BUT it's like some of these people are living and walking stereotypes and are perpetuating very negative stereotypes of minorities...like in my hometown the whole gang situation is out of control - and kids are having kids and perpetuating this horrible cycle of poverty...and well...blah - I don't know...but there are still a lot of issues in this country regarding race...

estranged4life
11-08-2004, 12:00 PM
a Hispanic as president before a Black president...

With the Hispanic population growing I just feel it will happen much sooner than later.

Brian j.

DrummerDeanna
11-08-2004, 02:00 PM
a Hispanic as president before a Black president...

With the Hispanic population growing I just feel it will happen much sooner than later.

Brian j.

Interesting....

On a side note -

I HATE HATE HATE those stupid Homies....little gangsta figurines...they exemplify all (almost all) that is wrong with the Hispanic community - if you were from where I am - there is no pride in being a "homie" it's not a great lifestyle at all....and I think homies are awful...(as in the figurines)

...PLUS - it makes me happy to see hispanics portrayed as normal folks on tv - rather than as gangstas, drug pushers/users or whatever...

Some people I'm thinking of : George Lopez and the hispanic folks on Desperate Housewives...haha...they just break stereotypes (or in George's case make fun of them) and I enjoy that...

estranged4life
11-08-2004, 02:14 PM
I HATE HATE HATE those stupid Homies....little gangsta figurines...they exemplify all (almost all) that is wrong with the Hispanic community - if you were from where I am - there is no pride in being a "homie" it's not a great lifestyle at all....and I think homies are awful...(as in the figurines)

those IGNORANT figures all about, Now they are replaced with the EQUALLY WORTHLESS bobbing head dogs...I guess to each their own, Even if you're an idiot :lol:

Kinda bad but one of my younger friends is Hispanic and she cannot STAND the whole 'ghetto-gangsta" BS...I cannot either. The Blacks I had as friends in my younger days NEVER bought into that lifestyle of the "Gotta be like Mike without having to earn it by working for it" mentality.

Brian j.

DrummerDeanna
11-08-2004, 02:29 PM
Kinda bad but one of my younger friends is Hispanic and she cannot STAND the whole 'ghetto-gangsta" BS...I cannot either. The Blacks I had as friends in my younger days NEVER bought into that lifestyle of the "Gotta be like Mike without having to earn it by working for it" mentality.

Brian j.

Yep - that's me as well - I didn't grow up around the ghetto-gangsta stuff - none of my family fit that bill (thankfully) and I started to really dislike the whole thing in middle-school - that's when the "divide" started happening between the gangstas and non-gangstas haha...

amber
11-08-2004, 02:37 PM
I actually think a Caucasion woman would be elected before any of the others.

skcin
11-08-2004, 03:44 PM
I actually think a Caucasion woman would be elected before any of the others.

I'd love to agree with you, but I think too many Americans would think that a woman in office would make the US seem weak to the rest of the world. (not MY opinion by any means, but...)

I was originally thinking black male would be first, but the point was made that the Hispanic population is growing so fast, so I may have to change my answer.

And again, probably not in my lifetime - I thought the US was really becoming more accepting of others, but the whole Bush/gay marriage voting thing has led me to believe that I was just a fool to think that. It's getting better (I think?) but we still have a LONG way to go. I'll tell you this much - I'll bet we won't ever see a Muslim as President. :distress:

Paula

amber
11-08-2004, 03:55 PM
I'd love to agree with you, but I think too many Americans would think that a woman in office would make the US seem weak to the rest of the world. (not MY opinion by any means, but...)

I think a huge segment of the population here would vote for a woman over a black/hispanic/whatever non white man. I don't think prejudiced people are as prejudiced against women. Especially women who are prejudiced! :) There are currently more women in politics than minorities. But, of course, i could be wrong...And clearly some people think i am :D :laugh:

SuzeQuze
11-08-2004, 04:04 PM
I think it will be either a black male or a hispanic male first. I don't think a woman has a chance at being elected president for quite some time. I think a lot of people believe that women are emotionally weak (not me!) and they couldn't handle this job. I hope to be proven wrong on this point!!!

Hopefully someone like Barack Obama will be elected in the future. He may be the one to make history.

amber
11-08-2004, 04:10 PM
Still, i'm suprised you guys think this - compare how many women there are in politics with how many minorities...

ontheEdgeof17
11-08-2004, 04:11 PM
Still, i'm suprised you guys think this - compare how many women there are in politics with how many minorities...

Well, look who just got re-elected. Nothing is a surprise anymore.

SuzeQuze
11-08-2004, 04:37 PM
It's just a gut feeling. I could be wrong. It happens sometimes. :rolleyes:

DrummerDeanna
11-08-2004, 05:17 PM
I'll tell you this much - I'll bet we won't ever see a Muslim as President. :distress:

Paula

Yeah - or for that matter anyone who isn't some form of Christian...like a Jewish pres...hasn't happened yet has it?

Gotta admit I don't really know - but they've done some interesting stories about how American's probably wouldn't elect a pres who didn't believe in God (implied is they'd have to be Christian...)

estranged4life
11-08-2004, 05:20 PM
Which of the following will happen first:

Q-Electing a minority President, A female President, or an INTELLIGENT President that will UNIFY the country?

A-
"Hello President Obama"
"Good Evening Mrs.President"

chiliD
11-08-2004, 05:31 PM
I'll tell you this much - I'll bet we won't ever see a Muslim as President.

Maybe...depends on if all 50 states stay united or if the "United States" is quite a bit smaller than it currently is.

Blue State Secession NOW!!!

Moony
11-11-2004, 04:33 AM
Blue State Secession NOW!!!
I've believed west and N.E. states should form our own country for sometime now. Screw the south and midwest.

I don't think there will ever be a black president or even a woman president in my lifetime. :shrug:

ThePenguin
11-11-2004, 08:49 AM
I've believed west and N.E. states should form our own country for sometime now. Screw the south and midwest.

That's really not such a bad idea; what a great forward-thinking new country we'd be. I kind of like the map that shows us as part of Canada too. :nod:

After the election results I showed my daughter the map w/ the red/blue states and told her the blue states all wanted Kerry to be the president. So in her 8 yr old logic, she wanted to know why he couldn't be the pres in those states! In our dreams...

I don't know about the US ever having having a woman or black or Hispanic prez. In the blue states, sure, that could happen. But the red states.....? Come on now.

-Lis

EveryHour
11-12-2004, 01:17 PM
{amber-
who is the artist of the painting in your sig?}

amber
11-12-2004, 02:52 PM
{amber-
who is the artist of the painting in your sig?}
My cousin (second) she had quite a career in New York in 80's and 90's. I always liked this one. Oh, and her name is Cheryl Laemmle. You like?