PDA

View Full Version : What's the stupidest thing anybody has said to you?

madformac
11-07-2004, 06:55 PM
I had somebody stop me in the street today and ask me if it was raining?

Of course it was f*****g raining! The things that kinda gave it away were umbrellas and puddles and the fact I was getting wet etc... I've been trying to figure that one out all afternoon and haven't managed it yet. :shrug:

I once had somebody ask me in a store where they could get a replacement watch battery and i said "The jewellers next door will probably sell them" to which the moron replied "Oh, right.. Where's that then?" :shocked: :shocked:

I asked for a £10 voucher to top up my mobile phone last week and was told "that will just be £10 pounds" by the assistant.. I know this... Why was I being told this????

All these moronic people and none of them work for the Bush administration... What a missed opportunity.. :D

GateandGarden
11-07-2004, 06:59 PM
Back when I used to volunteer at a public library, this guy came in and asked for a copy of The Adventures of Tom Sawyer. The book I got him said Mark Twain on the cover, and he got mad because he said he had to have the one by Samuel Clemens instead. :rolleyes:

And I guess this one isn't very funny, but I once told a woman I loved her and she said, "That's fine--as long as it's a friendly love." My first thought was, As opposed to an unfriendly love?

Hillary

amber
11-07-2004, 07:25 PM
I had somebody stop me in the street today and ask me if it was raining?

Of course it was f*****g raining! The things that kinda gave it away were umbrellas and puddles and the fact I was getting wet etc... I've been trying to figure that one out all afternoon and haven't managed it yet. :shrug:

I once had somebody ask me in a store where they could get a replacement watch battery and i said "The jewellers next door will probably sell them" to which the moron replied "Oh, right.. Where's that then?" :shocked: :shocked:

I asked for a £10 voucher to top up my mobile phone last week and was told "that will just be £10 pounds" by the assistant.. I know this... Why was I being told this????

All these moronic people and none of them work for the Bush administration... What a missed opportunity.. :D
Dude, you have just described the bane of my waking existence. I feel like people say stupid **** to me all the time. It happens most around here with people trying to hit on/start convo with me, but that payment thing happens to. And god, can i just say how lame it is when people say "hot enough/cold enough/rainy enough for ya" :mad:
today, just as i was blading back from the store, a guy walking up my hill was all "boy, you sure do be skatin'...I like the way you skate, girl(insert lascivious expression and tone of voice)" This happens to me a lot. or just "heeeeeey...alright, how YOU doin'?" god, if i could post about something stupid someone has said to me daily, i would have something EVERY DAY.
*sigh*
and don't even get me started about my boss..."so, I need you to order paper...do you understand what i'm saying?" (insert taking five minutes to finish the sentence)
*sigh*
Amber

madformac
11-07-2004, 07:38 PM
Dude, you have just described the bane of my waking existence. I feel like people say stupid **** to me all the time.

Amber

Tell me about it.. I manage a retail store and all my friends really don't know why I do it because they don't understand how I put up with answering moronic questions all day. To be honest I don't know why I still do it myself...

The best idiotic questions I get every single day are :

"How much is this?"

when they actually POINT at the price ticket?!?!?! :eek: :shocked: :confused:

and

"Have you got this one in stock?"

When they are looking AT one in stock on the shelf!!!

Arrrgggghhhhh!!!!!! Please let me escape the bane of my existence!!!

Rollerblades are cool by the way but they just wouldn't work in UK winters, especially with the amount of holes in our sidewalks (plus the amount of "holes" that walk on them too :D )

amber
11-07-2004, 07:44 PM
Tell me about it.. I manage a retail store and all my friends really don't know why I do it because they don't understand how I put up with answering moronic questions all day. To be honest I don't know why I still do it myself...

The best idiotic questions I get every single day are :

"How much is this?"

when they actually POINT at the price ticket?!?!?! :eek: :shocked: :confused:

and

"Have you got this one in stock?"

When they are looking AT one in stock on the shelf!!!

Arrrgggghhhhh!!!!!! Please let me escape the bane of my existence!!!

Rollerblades are cool by the way but they just wouldn't work in UK winters, especially with the amount of holes in our sidewalks (plus the amount of "holes" that walk on them too :D )
Yep, i totally feel for you, dude. Retail must be the worst. I used to work in fast food, that is bad, too.
Yes, i can't use the blades at all when it rains, and fall is hard cause of all the **** on the ground. But, i swear, Oakland sidewalks are THE WORST! it has made me an expert rollerblader. Not to mention cars that don't stop behind the line....it's like a fun obstacle course. But yeah, in london, with all the rain and whatnot...difficult. I like to go out and blade at night, when there is no one on the streets...very zen... :wavey: :D
God, i'm just thinking about your examples, and that is waaaaaay lame. I would be rolling my eyes, constantly :laugh: Course, i am about the least patient person in the world, but still! I would've grabbed the sweater, looked very obviously at the pricetag, and said "let's see...this tag says it is 34.95, so, IT'S 34.95!!!" hehehehe.

madformac
11-07-2004, 08:00 PM
very zen... :wavey: :D

Ahh, I sense you read a previous post of mine on another thread maybe? :nod:

I would've grabbed the sweater, looked very obviously at the pricetag, and said "let's see...this tag says it is 34.95, so, IT'S 34.95!!!" hehehehe.

Yeah, I smile on the outside yet get these twisted visions of what I'd like to be saying or doing to the person saying these things...

I do try and vary my mental replies, somedays I might visualise saying "You don't have the mental capacity to even contemplate buying this so please do me a favour, put your money away and just go home, now..." or other days I'll nod and smile when somebody is giving me grief over something I haven't any control over yet they will blame me and I'll be visualising something nasty happening to them with a gardening tool, a few rather exotic fruits and some vaseline :laugh: :blob1: :lol: all depends on my mood I guess...

amber
11-07-2004, 08:05 PM
Ahh, I sense you read a previous post of mine on another thread maybe? :nod:

Yeah, I smile on the outside yet get these twisted visions of what I'd like to be saying or doing to the person saying these things...

I do try and vary my mental replies, somedays I might visualise saying "You don't have the mental capacity to even contemplate buying this so please do me a favour, put your money away and just go home, now..." or other days I'll nod and smile when somebody is giving me grief over something I haven't any control over yet they will blame me and I'll be visualising something nasty happening to them with a gardening tool, a few rather exotic fruits and some vaseline :laugh: :blob1: :lol: all depends on my mood I guess...
Bwahahahaha! :laugh: :lol:
at least you're able to hide your feelings... :D
and, no, i don't remember the past post you were talking about. i just said that cause, well, it IS very zen :shrug:

madformac
11-07-2004, 08:11 PM
and, no, i don't remember the past post you were talking about. i just said that cause, well, it IS very zen :shrug:

Cool, I replied to a Buddhism thread a couple of weeks back and mentioned Zen Buddhism and the Japanese Samurai, just thought somebody might have actually read it!!

(as I write this itunes has just selected Black Magic Woman from the Boston Tea Party at random and put a big :D on my face)

GardenStateGirlie
11-07-2004, 08:20 PM
Do you have ten hours to read? -_- Yesterday was a perfect example of stupidity at it's finest. People don't want to listen. This happens to me at least 20 times a day...

"Does Tommy have any openings today for a blowdry?"

"The only opening he has is at 2:00"

"Does he have one around 12?"

"No. He only has one opening at 2:00"

"Well. He always fits me in. I've been coming here for years and have spent A LOT of money..."

Okay lady. Do you know how many times i've heard that line? Your hair, your nails, not the end of the world. Perhaps if you planned better, you would have made an appointment earlier so you could get in at a specific time. You know what's tragic? Some of these people have dropped 30,000 in the past year and they? are ugly as sin. You'd think coming to a salon and day spa 3 times a week, you'd look good. Hono. Not the case. </disgruntled rant>

I used to work in retail and I got some ridiculous questions and comments all the time. I too love the "how much does this cost?" And the best was always when people would come to the counter, rattle off a bunch of products they needed and stand there and expect me to go and fetch said products for them. I'm not your human shopping cart, thanks.

amber
11-07-2004, 08:29 PM
Cool, I replied to a Buddhism thread a couple of weeks back and mentioned Zen Buddhism and the Japanese Samurai, just thought somebody might have actually read it!!

(as I write this itunes has just selected Black Magic Woman from the Boston Tea Party at random and put a big :D on my face)
oh, i read that. just as i came back from the store, "Edge of Seventeen" started :D
congrats to both of us! :laugh:

amber
11-07-2004, 08:31 PM
Do you have ten hours to read? -_- Yesterday was a perfect example of stupidity at it's finest. People don't want to listen. This happens to me at least 20 times a day...

"Does Tommy have any openings today for a blowdry?"

"The only opening he has is at 2:00"

"Does he have one around 12?"

"No. He only has one opening at 2:00"

"Well. He always fits me in. I've been coming here for years and have spent A LOT of money..."

Okay lady. Do you know how many times i've heard that line? Your hair, your nails, not the end of the world. Perhaps if you planned better, you would have made an appointment earlier so you could get in at a specific time. You know what's tragic? Some of these people have dropped 30,000 in the past year and they? are ugly as sin. You'd think coming to a salon and day spa 3 times a week, you'd look good. Hono. Not the case. </disgruntled rant>

I used to work in retail and I got some ridiculous questions and comments all the time. I too love the "how much does this cost?" And the best was always when people would come to the counter, rattle off a bunch of products they needed and stand there and expect me to go and fetch said products for them. I'm not your human shopping cart, thanks.
Excellent Example! :thumbsup:
doesn't this thread seem like it could go on and on? :D

madformac
11-07-2004, 08:36 PM
"Are these all the ones you have?"

"Erm, no, actually we keep a whole store full of other stock in the back but when we hear you are in town we take it all off display.... :rolleyes: " I wish...... :D

A friend of mine works on a Carnival cruise ship, one of the best ones he got was "Do the crew stay on board or do they go home at night?" :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

He actually couldn't resist and replied "No they fly us off on helicopters at midnight and we fly back to the ship at sea for about 6am...."

The reply he got back was "wow, it must cost a lot to do that I guess" :eek: :eek: :eek:

GypsySorcerer
11-07-2004, 08:59 PM
Before the era of cell phones, I'd get phone calls at home and the person would ask: "Are you there?" or "Where are you at?"

Of course, I've said some stupid things, too:

Pizza place: Pick-up or delivery?
Me: Yeah.
Pizza place: Pick up OR delivery??
Me: I said yeah.
:o :rolleyes:

jadegypsy
11-07-2004, 09:26 PM
Well this one is a stupid as it gets:

"Oh my you're ALIVE!"- said to me from a medical recptionist when I went to pick-up my files!?

Reply: "yeah I guess so, sure looks like it."

The constant "This is a GREAT fake ID!"

In retail

"Do you think you can dig through your change drawer and give me the new Indiana quarter?"

"What do you mean you don't have it, you're just hiding it from me!"

amber
11-07-2004, 09:26 PM
"Are these all the ones you have?"

"Erm, no, actually we keep a whole store full of other stock in the back but when we hear you are in town we take it all off display.... :rolleyes: " I wish...... :D

A friend of mine works on a Carnival cruise ship, one of the best ones he got was "Do the crew stay on board or do they go home at night?" :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

He actually couldn't resist and replied "No they fly us off on helicopters at midnight and we fly back to the ship at sea for about 6am...."

The reply he got back was "wow, it must cost a lot to do that I guess" :eek: :eek: :eek:
:laugh: :lol:
Bwah! you're killin me, dude!

madformac
11-07-2004, 09:34 PM
"It's really important you take out life insurance before you die"

No ****.... I was going to wait until after I had shuffled off... :rolleyes:

"guess who I bumped into today?"

Erm, well, I've got a six billion to one chance of getting it right haven't I?

Maybe I'm just cynical... I dunno :shrug:

madformac
11-07-2004, 09:39 PM
I was at McDonalds once and heard somebody ask for "A Big Mac, but without the lettuce, mayo, pickle and onion"

"So you want a cheeseburger?" the assistant replied...........

"erm, well yes" was the answer... :confused:

Moony
11-07-2004, 09:40 PM
This wasn't said to me, but to a girl in my film class as we were leaving school.

"Hey gurl, do you work at Subway?"
(girl) "What? no.."
"Cause you sho give me a foot-long, heh heh."

:shrug:
Some people are just disgusting.

My personal favorite when at work is "how much does that cost?"
-Read the sign/tag ya dumb bitch!

estranged4life
11-08-2004, 02:25 AM
but early this year as we shopped at a small knick-knack store the cute blonde clerk asked the other clerk the following question:

"Halloween? Isnt that celebrated in September or October?"

She wasnt not a foreigner, So I figured she MUST not get out into the world much...

Brian j.

seteca
11-08-2004, 06:56 AM
"It's really important you take out life insurance before you die"

No ****.... I was going to wait until after I had shuffled off... :rolleyes:

Which life insurance company is it that always advertises on TV with the line "We pay cash if you die and cash if you don't." :rolleyes: That's a classic.

By the way..Brian...your signature is absolutely f**king hilarious! I just burst out laughing. :thumbsup:

seteca
11-08-2004, 07:11 AM
And the stupidest thing that anyone's ever said to me happened last week. On the EVE of the U.S. election, I was on the phone to someone (Madformac you know him - he almost killed you trying to climb over your head to get Lindsey's signature) who never fails to surprise me with just how much he can stretch the limits of the word "CLUELESS":

I was just trying to make small talk and I said "Do you think John Kerry will win it?"

To which he replied: "Who?"

I assumed he didn't hear me clearly so I said: "John Kerry."

He replied: "Oh....yea................Sorry........who...??"

I replied: "John Kerry..?? You know the presidential candidate for the Democrats??"

He replied: "Ooooh! Right......yea sorry!"

So I repeated: "So do you think he'll win?"

He said: "Win what??"

(This conversation took place last Tuesday night.)

:rolleyes::rolleyes::shocked:

DrummerDeanna
11-08-2004, 08:33 AM
ah yes - stupid statements....

Well since moving to Rochester I have had MORE comments about weather...as if I've been living on the sun for the past 23 years....yes, I've seen snow before people....but it's simple things too...

The SLIGHTEST change, and I mean the slightest change in weather brings this one idiot guy at work in asking,

"So - whaddya think of THIS weather hehe..."

To I finally broke down, "OK - we HAVE rain and clouds in New Mexico...this is nothing new...and yes, I"ve actually SEEN snow..." gaaa...I'm sick of it....

Let's see...I just hate when people state the obvious...like I was eating my lunch and reading the newspaper last week and the same guy who makes weather statements came in, "oh you're reading the newspaper huh?"

wtf? I didn't even answer- I just ignored him....to which he then asked, "oh what's for lunch? " Oh ya mean besides this large slice of pizza sitting in front of me??

I'm SURe I get more stupid questions/statements, but usually I try to ignore them or just put them out of my mind :)

wondergirl9847
11-08-2004, 11:10 AM
And the stupidest thing that anyone's ever said to me happened last week. On the EVE of the U.S. election, I was on the phone to someone (Madformac you know him - he almost killed you trying to climb over your head to get Lindsey's signature) who never fails to surprise me with just how much he can stretch the limits of the word "CLUELESS":

I was just trying to make small talk and I said "Do you think John Kerry will win it?"

To which he replied: "Who?"

I assumed he didn't hear me clearly so I said: "John Kerry."

He replied: "Oh....yea................Sorry........who...??"

I replied: "John Kerry..?? You know the presidential candidate for the Democrats??"

He replied: "Ooooh! Right......yea sorry!"

So I repeated: "So do you think he'll win?"

He said: "Win what??"

(This conversation took place last Tuesday night.)

:rolleyes::rolleyes::shocked:

I am dyin' over here!!! BWAH!!!

wondergirl9847
11-08-2004, 11:15 AM
Let's see...I just hate when people state the obvious...like I was eating my lunch and reading the newspaper last week and the same guy who makes weather statements came in, "oh you're reading the newspaper huh?"

wtf? I didn't even answer- I just ignored him....to which he then asked, "oh what's for lunch? " Oh ya mean besides this large slice of pizza sitting in front of me??

"Here's your sign." - Bill Engvall

Paraphrasing Bill: I locked my keys in the car, and was using the hanger from my dry cleaners. Some guy walked by and said 'Locked your keys in your car?' I go 'Nope, just had it washed and I'm hanging it up to dry....here's your sign (that says I'm stupid)."

Tee hee!!

princessblair
11-08-2004, 04:06 PM
I've worked in retail pharmacy since 1998 and everyday someone says something stupid to me...The general public is not that bright, especially when it comes to the local pharmacy. Just a few of my favorite stupid lines:

Me (answering phone): Cub Pharmacy West, how may I help you?
Customer: Yeah, pharmacy please.
Me: This is the pharmacy. That's why I said Cub Pharmacy West.
Customer: Oh...

Me (answering phone): Cub Pharmacy West, how may I help you?
Customer: Yes, I have a prescription I'd like to get refilled.
Me: OK, do you have the prescription number?
Customer: Yes, it's 345-5066
Me: Ma'am, that's the pharmacy phone number.
Customer: Oh...are you sure?
Me: I've worked here for 6.5 years, I'm sure of it.

Me (ringing a customer up at the register): OK, your total is $20.00
Customer: $20 even?
Me (thinking to myself): Yes, that's why I said $20.00 in the first place!

Once I was out on the floor putting our OTC order away (over-the-counter products like cough medicine) and some guy came up to me and asked if I worked at the store. Gee, I was wearing a white smock, a huge-ass name tag and I WAS STOCKING THE SHELVES! :rolleyes: What do you think? I've always wanted to say, "No, I don't work here. I just like to come in and help out every now and then."

Most pharmacies have automated phone systems with a voice recording where patients can call in prescriptions. Well, one day I had an older lady call in about her prescriptions, just as I started my shift. She was upset because the person she was talking to on the phone kept hanging up when she tried to give her prescription numbers. I asked if she knew the person's name and she didn't know, except that it was a female and she was extremely rude and wanted to make a complaint about her. Knowing that I was the only female there (and this was my first phone call of the day) I had to break it to her that it was the automated voice recording, not an actual person that she was mad at :lol: The poor thing was so confused! I had to break it down for her...

I have so many other stories that I could probably write a book on it. I also want to do a show like E.R. on how a pharmacy works. It would be called "Rx" :laugh: It'd only be about 10 episodes, but at least people would begin to understand the crap we put up with and the difference between pharmacists and technicians.

SuzeQuze
11-08-2004, 04:13 PM
I have an anniversary edition Barbie. When it was new this guy asked me about it and I said it was a 30th anniversary Barbie. He said, "Oh that's pretty old then." I had to be diplomatic and not laugh at him but it was HARD! :laugh: :lol: :laugh:

madformac
11-08-2004, 04:39 PM
I had another one this morning.........

We open the store at 9am... I know this because on the front doors the opening times are displayed in nice bright white LARGE letters and numbers.....

Anyway, not for the first time, at about 8:40am some moron tries to open the locked door.. The window shutters are down and the door is locked.. Now it's locked... He knows its locked because when he pulls it, it's... shut... It will not open.... So he pulls it again, and again, and yet again... As if by continuing to pull it the lock will release, he will walk in and find several assistants just waiting eagerly to serve him.. :rolleyes:

So I look out and he's just standing there.. He sees me, gestures and knocks on the door.. So I go over and he shouts through a locked door....

"Are you open?" :shrug: :confused: :shrug: :confused: :shrug:

Now how the hell do you reply to that?

How much of a moronic fool do you have to be to say something so mindlessly stupid as that?

I really don't have much hope for the human race... :(

princessblair
11-08-2004, 04:46 PM
I had another one this morning.........

We open the store at 9am... I know this because on the front doors the opening times are displayed in nice bright white LARGE letters and numbers.....

Anyway, not for the first time, at about 8:40am some moron tries to open the locked door.. The window shutters are down and the door is locked.. Now it's locked... He knows its locked because when he pulls it, it's... shut... It will not open.... So he pulls it again, and again, and yet again... As if by continuing to pull it the lock will release, he will walk in and find several assistants just waiting eagerly to serve him.. :rolleyes:

So I look out and he's just standing there.. He sees me, gestures and knocks on the door.. So I go over and he shouts through a locked door....

"Are you open?" :shrug: :confused: :shrug: :confused: :shrug:

Now how the hell do you reply to that?

How much of a moronic fool do you have to be to say something so mindlessly stupid as that?

I really don't have much hope for the human race... :(

:laugh: Same thing has happend to me! We have a large gate that we pull around the pharmacy when we're closed (as we are located inside a grocery store). I've had numerous incidents where the gates are pulled, lights off and the staff is bundled up in coats, ready to go home and some idiot walks up and asks if we're closed. :rolleyes: No, we're really open. It's just that we're going on a long lunch break and will be back at 9 a.m. tomorrow...the sad thing is that these people are reproducing! :eek:

GardenStateGirlie
11-08-2004, 04:59 PM
A co-worker just grabbed the yellow pages, looked at me and said, "what do you call it when you need your car repaired."

-_-

It's been a looong day. :(

chiliD
11-08-2004, 04:59 PM
"Here's your sign." - Bill Engvall

Damn! You beat me to it...as I was reading through this thread, it took all the way until post #26 before somebody quoted Engvall. I was ready after just about every post. :D

DrummerDeanna
11-08-2004, 05:12 PM
the other night I was shoping with these guys (my first mistake ;) ) and there was this big sale on men's sweaters...but they were way too big for me and I said, 'Urg - stupid man sweaters..."

So one of the guys with me said, 'what's the difference between man sweaters and regular sweaters..." :shrug: I just said, "that wasn't obvious from the title? MAN sweaters....men wear them...they are made for men..." dumb ass

wondergirl9847
11-08-2004, 05:15 PM
Damn! You beat me to it...as I was reading through this thread, it took all the way until post #26 before somebody quoted Engvall. I was ready after just about every post. :D

I love Bill! That crazy, Galvestonian. :) My favorite skit on Blue Collar TV is the one where they are kids and in the back seat..."Mom, I can see Dooley's weiner." and then the mom tells Bill to put it back in his pants. The look on his face...priceless. LMAO!!

Jessica Leigh
11-09-2004, 07:52 AM
oh god.... i'm a waitress... you'd never believe some of the stupid people i encounter and the things that they say....

last night-

Me: And what would you like, sir?
Stupid guy: i don't know, how about just a cheeseburger
Me: ok and what kind of cheese would you like?
Stupid guy: no cheese
Me: uh, you want a cheeseburger no cheese?
Stupid guy: yeah
Me: so you want a hamburger?
Stupid guy: ok

or the night before last-

Stupid Guy: what's this? (pointing to item on the menu) a tuna sandwich?
Me: yes sir
Stupid guy: like a tuna steak?
Me: no, like tuna salad
Stupid guy: no i don't want a salad i'm talking about the sandwich
Me: yes, it's a sandwich made of tuna salad
Stupid guy: not a tuna steak?
Me: no, we don't have tuna steaks
Stupid guy: how do you mean it's a tuna salad?
Me: (very annoyed at this point) you know, you open a can, dump the tuna out and mix it with mayo and other things?
Stupid guy: (looking very confused) well i'd like a tuna steak
Me: i'm sorry we don't have those (didn't i just say that?)
Stupid guy: I'd like a turkeyburger cooked medium, please
Me: (not believing what i just heard) I beg your pardon?
Stupid guy: TURKEY BURGER MEDIUM!!
Me: I'm sorry sir but all poultry is cooked well done... otherwise you could get very sick.
Stupid guy: oh.

seriously.... i hope that man doesn't cook for himself at home and go "hmmm i'd like my chicken breast medium rare tonight" who does NOT know that poultry must be cooked well done?

oh oh oh.... or how about this one.... dude comes in and says his son's going to be meeting him in a few minutes... it's late, we're a bar only after 9 pm and everyone in the building must be 21 or over... so i tell this to the guy and ask how old his son is and he goes "uhh about 21?" ABOUT 21? i laugh and go "ok when he gets here i'll see his id" and he throws a fit and goes "god can't a guy just have some dinner?" so he calls his kid and then tells me proudly "my son's on his way with his id" i'm thinking "oh riiiiiight... let's see this fake" i'm pretty confident in my ability to spot fake ids so i laugh it off and wait for the kid to show up... he proudly gives me an id and the very first security feature that i look for is incorrect so i laugh and go skipping across the restaurant to the manager on duty so he can confiscate the id and kick them out...

seriously though... about 21? your parents should know your age... make sure they know what your fake id says when you go out with them...

Moony
11-09-2004, 11:48 AM
Just yesterday my cousin, who I thought had some measure of intelligence, burst out with this gem:

"I voted for Bush, because, you know, with the war and everything we shouldn't change presidents."

Me: :shocked: "Are you f*ckin kidding me?!"

What a dumbass.

amber
11-09-2004, 11:55 AM
oh god.... i'm a waitress... you'd never believe some of the stupid people i encounter and the things that they say....

last night-

Me: And what would you like, sir?
Stupid guy: i don't know, how about just a cheeseburger
Me: ok and what kind of cheese would you like?
Stupid guy: no cheese
Me: uh, you want a cheeseburger no cheese?
Stupid guy: yeah
Me: so you want a hamburger?
Stupid guy: ok

or the night before last-

Stupid Guy: what's this? (pointing to item on the menu) a tuna sandwich?
Me: yes sir
Stupid guy: like a tuna steak?
Me: no, like tuna salad
Stupid guy: no i don't want a salad i'm talking about the sandwich
Me: yes, it's a sandwich made of tuna salad
Stupid guy: not a tuna steak?
Me: no, we don't have tuna steaks
Stupid guy: how do you mean it's a tuna salad?
Me: (very annoyed at this point) you know, you open a can, dump the tuna out and mix it with mayo and other things?
Stupid guy: (looking very confused) well i'd like a tuna steak
Me: i'm sorry we don't have those (didn't i just say that?)
Stupid guy: I'd like a turkeyburger cooked medium, please
Me: (not believing what i just heard) I beg your pardon?
Stupid guy: TURKEY BURGER MEDIUM!!
Me: I'm sorry sir but all poultry is cooked well done... otherwise you could get very sick.
Stupid guy: oh.

seriously.... i hope that man doesn't cook for himself at home and go "hmmm i'd like my chicken breast medium rare tonight" who does NOT know that poultry must be cooked well done?

oh oh oh.... or how about this one.... dude comes in and says his son's going to be meeting him in a few minutes... it's late, we're a bar only after 9 pm and everyone in the building must be 21 or over... so i tell this to the guy and ask how old his son is and he goes "uhh about 21?" ABOUT 21? i laugh and go "ok when he gets here i'll see his id" and he throws a fit and goes "god can't a guy just have some dinner?" so he calls his kid and then tells me proudly "my son's on his way with his id" i'm thinking "oh riiiiiight... let's see this fake" i'm pretty confident in my ability to spot fake ids so i laugh it off and wait for the kid to show up... he proudly gives me an id and the very first security feature that i look for is incorrect so i laugh and go skipping across the restaurant to the manager on duty so he can confiscate the id and kick them out...

seriously though... about 21? your parents should know your age... make sure they know what your fake id says when you go out with them...
:laugh: :lol: :laugh:
isn't food service GREAT? :rolleyes: well, the tips are usually good... :wavey:

SuzeQuze
11-09-2004, 12:27 PM
During the Sox/Yankees playoffs I was out with my roommate watching game 7. This guy goes, "So you girls like baseball?" I just gave him a look like, "Well, duh." :eek:

amber
11-09-2004, 12:39 PM
During the Sox/Yankees playoffs I was out with my roommate watching game 7. This guy goes, "So you girls like baseball?" I just gave him a look like, "Well, duh." :eek:
hate that so much. "so, reading a book, huh?" "so, skating, huh?" "It sure is hot/cold out, huh?" :mad: :rolleyes:

madformac
11-09-2004, 06:24 PM
hate that so much. "so, reading a book, huh?" "so, skating, huh?" "It sure is hot/cold out, huh?" :mad: :rolleyes:

So Amber, I guess you post on this site huh?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

amber
11-09-2004, 06:27 PM
So Amber, I guess you post on this site huh?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :laugh:
bastard!

madformac
11-09-2004, 06:34 PM
:lol: :lol: :laugh:
bastard!

Guess you think I'm a bastard huh?

:laugh: :lol: :laugh: :lol:

Actually it's not just guys that do it........ Girls do it too... When they really try to seem interested in something they don't understand (come on admit it!) that we do. Like obsessions with cars, engines and all that jazz.

"Oh that's really interesting.. BUT why don't we do this instead......"

:D :D ;)

amber
11-09-2004, 06:44 PM
Guess you think I'm a bastard huh?

:laugh: :lol: :laugh: :lol:

Actually it's not just guys that do it........ Girls do it too... When they really try to seem interested in something they don't understand (come on admit it!) that we do. Like obsessions with cars, engines and all that jazz.

"Oh that's really interesting.. BUT why don't we do this instead......"

:D :D ;)
GMFAO :laugh: :lol: (giggled MFAO)
Of course girls say stupid ****...there, i admitted it. :wavey:

Jessica Leigh
11-09-2004, 07:09 PM
:laugh: :lol: :laugh:
isn't food service GREAT? :rolleyes: well, the tips are usually good... :wavey:

omg it's just lovely... i work in a sports bar and i do quite well... much better than when i did fine dining or casual fine....

but get this... last night... F*CKERS.... i totally took care of this group of people... just having wings and beer their bill got to over $60... then a girl came to join them and asked for a capt & coke... i ask for her ID and she says she doesn't have it on her... ok no drinks for you... well one of the guys she was with was going to the bar and getting her drinks and pouring them in her soda glass... i suspect this since her coke never needs a refill and she keeps drinking out of it... but her ice is getting all melted... sooooo hehehehe evil grin here... i tell the manager and he goes over with me while i bring her a brand new coke with fresh ice... nice thing to do right? well i go to switch out the old watered down looking coke for a new coke with new ice and the girl flips out

"NO YOU DON'T NEED TO DO THAT!!! DON'T TAKE MY COKE!"
Me: oh i was just bringing you a new one, it looked like your ice melted

so she argued and flipped out and the manager just went "ok i know there's rum in there" etc etc... the people lie to us yelling at us blah blah blah... so the bartender tastes a sample of it, i taste a sample of it and the manager tastes a sample of it... yep... that's one GIANT captain and coke...

so we kick them out.... mind you, the guys had been in there for 4 hours or more... they were totally cool, joking around with me... inviting me to drink with them etc... so i bring them their bill and it's $62.30 and i said "sorry guys the manager saw what you were doing" totally blaming rules on the situation and making it seem like it's not my fault hoping they would still tip me decently... they give me their money and tell me to keep the change... $65 even... yeah... $2.70 for me. i was so mad... soooo mad... i went back up to them and faced them with their ****tiness

me: guys i just want to let you know that it's very unfair of you to treat me so poorly when i took care of you all night and you put me in a position to lose my job and get a $1,000 fine
stupid guy: how much did you give her dude?
Me: $2.70 on $62.30
gave them a mean glare and walked away
when i came back to clean the table after they had left there was another 14 cents on the table. thanks guys...

i still did well... made almost 30% of my sales anyway... but how terrible was that? i live in a state where servers make $2.13/hour so my tips are my whole income... my wages just pay my taxes so when i get a paycheck it says something like "$9.12" or '$0.18" or "this is not a check" cause my whole check was taken for taxes... i've never talked to a customer about a tip before... was that wrong of me?

estranged4life
11-09-2004, 07:09 PM
question I have been asked:

"Who did you vote for?"

Yeah, A stupid question in my books...Cause I voted in the "minority" for Oklahomans, Especially those here in this "Jerusalem of Hypocrisy"!

Brian j.

estranged4life
11-09-2004, 07:21 PM
omg it's just lovely... i work in a sports bar and i do quite well... much better than when i did fine dining or casual fine....

but get this... last night... F*CKERS.... i totally took care of this group of people... just having wings and beer their bill got to over $60... then a girl came to join them and asked for a capt & coke... i ask for her ID and she says she doesn't have it on her... ok no drinks for you... well one of the guys she was with was going to the bar and getting her drinks and pouring them in her soda glass... i suspect this since her coke never needs a refill and she keeps drinking out of it... but her ice is getting all melted... sooooo hehehehe evil grin here... i tell the manager and he goes over with me while i bring her a brand new coke with fresh ice... nice thing to do right? well i go to switch out the old watered down looking coke for a new coke with new ice and the girl flips out

so she argued and flipped out and the manager just went "ok i know there's rum in there" etc etc... the people lie to us yelling at us blah blah blah... so the bartender tastes a sample of it, i taste a sample of it and the manager tastes a sample of it... yep... that's one GIANT captain and coke...

so we kick them out.... mind you, the guys had been in there for 4 hours or more... they were totally cool, joking around with me... inviting me to drink with them etc... so i bring them their bill and it's $62.30 and i said "sorry guys the manager saw what you were doing" totally blaming rules on the situation and making it seem like it's not my fault hoping they would still tip me decently... they give me their money and tell me to keep the change... $65 even... yeah... $2.70 for me. i was so mad... soooo mad... i went back up to them and faced them with their ****tiness

me: guys i just want to let you know that it's very unfair of you to treat me so poorly when i took care of you all night and you put me in a position to lose my job and get a $1,000 fine
when i came back to clean the table after they had left there was another 14 cents on the table. thanks guys...

i still did well... made almost 30% of my sales anyway... but how terrible was that? i live in a state where servers make $2.13/hour so my tips are my whole income... my wages just pay my taxes so when i get a paycheck it says something like "$9.12" or '$0.18" or "this is not a check" cause my whole check was taken for taxes... i've never talked to a customer about a tip before... was that wrong of me?

about these "caring outstanding citizens" is the ol' classic "Big Spender".

Damn, We leave tips MUCH larger than that for waiters/waitresses when we only spend about $20 for dinner...The closer to the holidays the more we leave.

God, I hope it didnt "bankrupt" 'em adding that extra $.14, I mean the economy is bad but gawd-damn!!!!

Brian j.

amber
11-09-2004, 07:25 PM

Naw, you werent' wrong. My friends work in bars/restaurants, and this happens to them sometimes. Sometimes they say something. sometimes, also, random people steal their tips. That's neat. Wow, your min. wage is low! THat sucks. A friend of mine just started bartending in a hotel in San Francisco, she quit berkeley, because in SF the min. wage is $8.25!

madformac
11-09-2004, 07:27 PM
when i came back to clean the table after they had left there was another 14 cents on the table. thanks guys... ?

I can't stand people who do stupid **** like that... It's better they don't tip at all than to first leave an insult, and then take the piss by leaving 14 cents!!!

I dropped a 20% tip last week because I was looked after and was served with my meal with speed. The waiter was so pleased he started grinning and it obviously made his night which made me feel happy because I got the service and I knew I had made his day better. I tend to tip reasonably when I can afford it. However there are exceptions...

I once had a sandwich (that's all) in Wolfies diner in Miami and the bitch from hell that served me (I think she had some kind of racist streak because she made it quite obvious she didn't like serving white european males) took a $15 tip for herself as standard, this was about 50% and I went ape****. The service was astoundingly bad, the food was OK and the atmosphere when she came to the table was awful, all I wanted was a quiet meal!!!

I was more stunned by her audacity at deciding to take a huge tip than the charge itself. I never went back again.

i've never talked to a customer about a tip before... was that wrong of me?

I think it's not a good idea... Purely if other customers overhear it and decide against tipping because its been made an issue (even if they were assholes).

However, maybe it will make them think twice next time.

amber
11-09-2004, 07:29 PM
oh, yeah, and i don't really go out to eat (or drink) unless i have tip money. One time, i was caught out (for only, like, one beer though) but i gave the bartender something else that he would like. So, if i were those guys, i would be so embarrassed and crawl under the floor.

Johnny Stew
11-09-2004, 07:33 PM
Working in a library, I've heard some doozies. Like the gentleman who called because his doctor prescribed a new medication for him, and "I don't know what it's for"... so he asked me to look it up.

I get out one of our pharmaceutical books, and find the medication in question... I read the information to him, and he starts asking me all of these questions as if I've suddenly turned into a registered nurse.
My side of the conversation pretty much consisted of: "I'm not sure, sir, the book doesn't say anything about that." "Sorry, sir, the book doesn't contain enough information for me to answer a question like that." "No, sir, I don't happen to just know it off-hand."

Then he managed to top himself with his last question... "So, should I go ahead and take this then?"

I told him, in the most polite way I possibly could, that I'm not knowledgeable in the medical profession, and that it's not my business to tell someone whether or not they should take their medication, and he should call his doctor's office and ask them.

He sighed, and said, "Well, I was hoping you could tell me." :rolleyes:

There was also the lady who, after looking at our video collection for about 20 minutes... which is categorized alphabetically, by title... came over and told me, "I can't figure out how your videos are categorized." :shocked:

I have others, but I'll stop there. :)

Johnny Stew
11-09-2004, 07:35 PM
but i gave the bartender something else that he would like.

Must... resist... urge... to... ask....

GardenStateGirlie
11-09-2004, 07:36 PM

It's ridiculous that anyone should have to work solely off of tips. It's total BS because if someone like that jackass doesn't tip you, you're SOL...ESPECIALLY if it's a slow night. I could never do it for a living and I totally would have confronted them too.

estranged4life
11-09-2004, 07:38 PM
STUPID ass question I am always asked (Actually it's a combination question):

"Do you hate people?"
And/or
"Are you always such a sarcastic asshole?"

My answer is easy-"Why? Does it show?"

Brian "Stupid people shouldnt breathe, Breed or ask questions" j.

GardenStateGirlie
11-09-2004, 07:41 PM

Baaaaaayyyybeeee I don't wanna knooooow.... :laugh:

madformac
11-09-2004, 07:41 PM
Here's one I always give an obvious reply to :

"What's the difference between this one at £20 and this one at £30?"

And in reply I say "About £10"...

It's usually met with a "he thinks he's a smart ass" look. :cool: :lol:

amber
11-09-2004, 08:51 PM
Not that! :laugh: just a small scoobie present.

amber
11-09-2004, 08:52 PM
:lol: :laugh: :lol:
LMFAO! If there were a smiley with milk coming out of its nose, I would use that one too!
Sorry if you're offended, amber! I can't help myself. :wavey:

-Justin
Dude, i'm always offended when milk comes out of someone's nose. ewww! :D

amber
11-09-2004, 08:57 PM
This is not something someone said, but drives me crazy just the same. I was on BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit, like the subway) and this guy sits down across from me, and PUTS HIS FEET UP ON THE SEAT OPPOSITE. :mad:
This happens fairly often, and i'm like "is it so hard for you to extrapolate that since YOU'RE sitting on a seat, that probably someone ELSE will eventually sit on the seat you have your feet on? Do YOU like to sit in places where the bottom of people's shoes have been?" oh, then, get this. He takes out one of those tiny bottles of liquor (he didn't appear bum-ish or anything, before that, just regular, uh...) and he drinks it, then, just drops the bottle on floor!!! :mad: then takes out another one, but got off the train. I'm like, dude, you just did 2 things that make me so mad in the space of about five minutes. First, he litters on the seat with his feet, then litters on the ground. Even though his pocket was right there, he coulda just put the bottle back in and waited the 2 minutes till he got off the train and found a garbage :distress: geesh! WTF? God, i love the city! :rolleyes:

takenbythesky
11-10-2004, 02:19 AM
Well, this wasn't exactly said to me, but I think it qualifies as one of the stupidest things a newscast has ever "said" to me...

Tonight, during a commercial break, there was a 20-second or so spot about the network's newscast later. One of the things said was "And tune in to find out the latest about Britney Spears and her dog!" :eek:

-Justin

Jessica Leigh
11-10-2004, 05:33 AM
Naw, you werent' wrong. My friends work in bars/restaurants, and this happens to them sometimes. Sometimes they say something. sometimes, also, random people steal their tips. That's neat. Wow, your min. wage is low! THat sucks. A friend of mine just started bartending in a hotel in San Francisco, she quit berkeley, because in SF the min. wage is $8.25!

ahhhh i remember the days when i waitressed in california... my tips were my fun money and my paychecks were my bill money.... now my paychecks range from nothing to a half a tank of gas.... and my tips are my bill money.

the government allows employers to take a tip credit of $3.02 if an employee is a tipped person (waitress, bartender, parking valet etc) but most states (california, washington, montana to name a few) have their OWN minimum wage higher than the federal so it must be followed... my state does not have its own minimum wage so we follow federal... $5.15/hr and since i'm a tipped employee they can take the tax credit of $3.02 which is subtracted from fed min wage... so i end up with $2.13/hr which totally sucks...

i am just in awe of $8.25 minimum wage... i'm going to san fran tomorrow btw :) with such a high minimum wage do you notice servers being lazy and giving poor service? i really don't remember how i was because i haven't waited tables in california since 2000... but i imagine that people don't put in as much effort for good tips 'cause they're going to get paid anyway... if i get stiffed all day long... i don't make money... and i have to tip the bussers and bartenders for cleaning my tables and making my drinks... so i could end up PAYING to wait on a table (this happened ONCE to me and i could have KILLED the people) AND i have to pay taxes on what i sold because the government ASSUMES that i am tipped a certain percentage of my sales... luckily i make more than they assume that i make... otherwise i'd be screwed.

strandinthewind
11-10-2004, 07:25 AM
... i'm going to san fran tomorrow btw :)

I LOVE SFCA

Be sure if you have time to check out the Zuni Cafe (1658 Market Street) and have the Sea Bass or the Half Roasted Chicken, which is TO DIE FOR!!!!! Also, if you are into bars, the No Name Bar in Sausalito (757
Bridgeway) is a GREAT place!!!!!! Have a great time :cool:

amber
11-10-2004, 12:55 PM
ahhhh i remember the days when i waitressed in california... my tips were my fun money and my paychecks were my bill money.... now my paychecks range from nothing to a half a tank of gas.... and my tips are my bill money.

the government allows employers to take a tip credit of $3.02 if an employee is a tipped person (waitress, bartender, parking valet etc) but most states (california, washington, montana to name a few) have their OWN minimum wage higher than the federal so it must be followed... my state does not have its own minimum wage so we follow federal... $5.15/hr and since i'm a tipped employee they can take the tax credit of $3.02 which is subtracted from fed min wage... so i end up with $2.13/hr which totally sucks...

i am just in awe of $8.25 minimum wage... i'm going to san fran tomorrow btw :) with such a high minimum wage do you notice servers being lazy and giving poor service? i really don't remember how i was because i haven't waited tables in california since 2000... but i imagine that people don't put in as much effort for good tips 'cause they're going to get paid anyway... if i get stiffed all day long... i don't make money... and i have to tip the bussers and bartenders for cleaning my tables and making my drinks... so i could end up PAYING to wait on a table (this happened ONCE to me and i could have KILLED the people) AND i have to pay taxes on what i sold because the government ASSUMES that i am tipped a certain percentage of my sales... luckily i make more than they assume that i make... otherwise i'd be screwed.
Ride across the bay to Telegraph! I'll have drink witcha! hehe. I have not noticed an abnormal amount of bad service...but where i go is usually frequented by college students and the places get crowded, so the tenders have to go fast... :shrug: And when i go to Chico, college again, so...plus, i'm usually either friends w/bartender or friends with friends of bartender. Also, the minimum wage is high, but it costs a mint to live here, so they're lots of times workin for their bills, too... :rolleyes: Although, actually my bartender friends here and in chico do usually have hundred's if not thousands, of dollars saved up at times...gosh, i hope you have a really great time in SF! However, it is raining...

DrummerDeanna
11-10-2004, 01:21 PM
This is not something someone said, but drives me crazy just the same. I was on BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit, like the subway) and this guy sits down across from me, and PUTS HIS FEET UP ON THE SEAT OPPOSITE. :mad:
This happens fairly often, and i'm like "is it so hard for you to extrapolate that since YOU'RE sitting on a seat, that probably someone ELSE will eventually sit on the seat you have your feet on? Do YOU like to sit in places where the bottom of people's shoes have been?" oh, then, get this. He takes out one of those tiny bottles of liquor (he didn't appear bum-ish or anything, before that, just regular, uh...) and he drinks it, then, just drops the bottle on floor!!! :mad: then takes out another one, but got off the train. I'm like, dude, you just did 2 things that make me so mad in the space of about five minutes. First, he litters on the seat with his feet, then litters on the ground. Even though his pocket was right there, he coulda just put the bottle back in and waited the 2 minutes till he got off the train and found a garbage :distress: geesh! WTF? God, i love the city! :rolleyes:

I have no tolerance for littering - there's no reason for it...

So yeah - I'm gonna jump on my soapbox now...

I hate when people flick their nasty ciggie butts out their car windows (sorry - if there are Ledgies here who do that - if there are and you do that and are reading this - stopping flicking your butts out the window ;) )

Seriously- isn't this what an ashtray is for?? Ashtray's can then be emptied into an appropriate trash recepticle....

Pretty much I hate it when anyone throws anything litter-like out their car window - it reminds me of this old commercial I only saw once - with Bette Midler where like some guy throws a bottle out his car window -then Bette says something like, "If I see you doing this I will hunt you down and kill you..." or something - again I only saw it once and it was long ago - so if someone else remembers that pipe up :D

Lets see....what also pisses me off is seeing diapers in parking lots...gross.

Seriously - it's your own kid's crappy diaper - keep it with you til you can toss it properly or walk your ass a few feet to a trash can!!! I don't get that - we had to change my nehpew once or twice in parking lots - but NEVER left his old diapers on the ground...just gross...

Um....anyway ...I shall now step down from my soapbox....

madformac
11-10-2004, 01:31 PM

Isn't it just great when a kid drops some litter (candy bar etc) and the parent just looks down as its dropped then walks on as though its the normal thing to do. :mad:

Cigarette butts on the ground as well wind me up, mostly I'm amazed at the amount of gum on the sidewalks.

While we are on about things in public that irritate. Emergency procedure information on trains, and the tube here in the UK. Why do people feel the need to try and peel the edges? I never read them but you have to be rather odd to decide to stand there and peel them. :shrug:

amber
11-10-2004, 02:41 PM

So yeah - I'm gonna jump on my soapbox now...

I hate when people flick their nasty ciggie butts out their car windows (sorry - if there are Ledgies here who do that - if there are and you do that and are reading this - stopping flicking your butts out the window ;) )

Seriously- isn't this what an ashtray is for?? Ashtray's can then be emptied into an appropriate trash recepticle....

Pretty much I hate it when anyone throws anything litter-like out their car window - it reminds me of this old commercial I only saw once - with Bette Midler where like some guy throws a bottle out his car window -then Bette says something like, "If I see you doing this I will hunt you down and kill you..." or something - again I only saw it once and it was long ago - so if someone else remembers that pipe up :D

Lets see....what also pisses me off is seeing diapers in parking lots...gross.

Seriously - it's your own kid's crappy diaper - keep it with you til you can toss it properly or walk your ass a few feet to a trash can!!! I don't get that - we had to change my nehpew once or twice in parking lots - but NEVER left his old diapers on the ground...just gross...

Um....anyway ...I shall now step down from my soapbox....
I remember that commercial. :D

Jessica Leigh
11-11-2004, 05:42 AM
I LOVE SFCA

Be sure if you have time to check out the Zuni Cafe (1658 Market Street) and have the Sea Bass or the Half Roasted Chicken, which is TO DIE FOR!!!!! Also, if you are into bars, the No Name Bar in Sausalito (757
Bridgeway) is a GREAT place!!!!!! Have a great time :cool:

Oh i am familiar with san fran... and i AM looking for some good seafood tomorrow :) .... i've been to the no name bar with livia... we have some fun little videos of us drinking on their back patio (you know, california... no smoking anywhere under a roof.... so us sinners/ air polluters have to sit outside) we had fun that day finding the record plant :)

amber
11-11-2004, 08:04 AM
Oh i am familiar with san fran... and i AM looking for some good seafood tomorrow :) .... i've been to the no name bar with livia... we have some fun little videos of us drinking on their back patio (you know, california... no smoking anywhere under a roof.... so us sinners/ air polluters have to sit outside) we had fun that day finding the record plant :)
Be careful with the seafood. The ladies in Marin have a way higher cancer rate than national or state average, (that's not a random accident, folks!) and there are a couple oil refineries pretty local :D Also, there are quite a few sunken ships off of our coast. Some are leaking oil. :) Isn't it great that we've poisoned our own food so much that we really shouldn't eat it ?:thumbsup:
ha, i would have seafood, too :p ....hope you have a great time! :woohoo:

strandinthewind
11-11-2004, 08:43 AM

I totally forgot you guys went. I gave Livia the same suggestions :laugh: I LOVE the No Name. I was there one time when a guy I believe was a VERY wasted Bob Dillon drove his Harley through the front door - parked it - and started drinking at the bar :laugh:

And - yes, we used to have to go outside to smoke our pot at the no name - now its the cigs cuz I have not smoked pot since like 1988 or thereabouts :laugh:

Have a GREAT time!!!!!!!!! :woohoo: