PDA

View Full Version : R.I. Legend Salty Brine Passes Away

WelshWitchPMD
11-02-2004, 07:29 PM
I know that a few of you have some ties to Rhode Island and southern New England so I figured that I would post this news story.

Brine Spent 50 Years In Broadcasting

Legendary Rhode Island radio and television personality Walter "Salty" Brine has died.
His wife told News Channel 10 that Brine died at home on Tuesday. He was 86 years old.

"Salty was a wonderful, wonderful giving man, who got up in the morning with a smile and went to bed with a smile," Roseanna Brine said.

Brine spent 50 years in broadcasting. He started in radio at the age of 23. He became a staple on WPRO-AM, and hosted his final radio show at the station in 1993.

Brine's television career began with the children's program "Salty's Shack" in the 1950s. He narrated a series of feature reports called "Salty's Southern New England" on NBC 10 in the 1990s.

Brine also became famous for announcing snow days. "No school, Foster-Glocester!" became his signature remark.

His popularity in the state was such that lawmakers renamed a state beach in Narragansett for him.

Brine's son, Wally Brine, is also a longtime radio personality. He co-hosts the "Loren & Wally Morning Show" on WROR-FM in Boston.

Funeral arrangements are pending.

It is also odd how he was born in 1918 the year that the Red Sox last won their last World Series and he died right after they won the World Series this year.

gldstwmn
11-02-2004, 07:32 PM
May he rest in peace. I used to listen to him on WPRO in the 70's.