PDA

View Full Version : Scariest Movies

dissention
10-28-2004, 11:15 AM
Bravo has been the Top 100 Scariest Movie Moments this week (and they chose some surprisingly good flicks and moments, too), so I was wondering which movies really scared people. These always scare the living **** out of me, no matter how many times I've seen it:

Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer
This movie nauseated me and is solely responsible with my obsession with making sure all the doors and windows are locked when I go to bed. :laugh: That one scene where Henry and Otis are watching the home video...my word. And that ending.

Suspiria
The music is scary as hell. I bought the limited edition DVD package and it came with the soundtrack. Needless to say, I've never listened to it. :cool: There are so many scenes in this movie that scare me: the opening sequence, the room full of barbed wire, the witches at the end, the seeing-eye dog murder. And the setting is so picturesque that it's almost shocking that it can be so unsettling.

The Brood
Why I'll never have kids. :laugh:

Haute Tension
My friend gave me the Korean (or British, I forget which) DVD and it creeped me out for days. One of the best horror flicks made in years.

Session 9
I heartily recommend this for Halloween, but don't watch it alone, you'll piss yourself.

When A Stranger Calls
The first half hour and last half hour are petrifying!!!!!!!!!!

Patti
10-28-2004, 11:34 AM
You mean someone other than me has seen The Brood???? I saw this movie way back when it came out. I was a teenager still living with my parents. After the movie, about midnight, I got home and knew I wouldn't get any sleep because I figured those little things were hiding under my bed. So I knew I had to check under the bed before I would get any sleep. Right when I raised the covers to look, I mean at the *exact* moment, a cricket chirped that was apparently in my closet. I about died! :laugh: :laugh:

To this day, I still remember the old man flopping across the bed with his arm hanging over the edge and you just knew he was going to "get it". :lol:

Bella Figura
10-28-2004, 11:49 AM
random thoughts regarding Bravo's list...

most movies just scare me once and then after that, it's more for the jokes or the mood...

Nightmare on Elm Street scared me so much that I actually screamed in the theatre the first time I saw it but it's just funny now...

I recently saw "the Birds" again for the umpteenth time but because the break had been so long since I last saw it, I really enjoyed it because it was able to creep me out...Hitchcock is truly a genius

The Others was surprisingly good, so if you're looking for an available rental this Halloween, that's a good bet but I'll always have a soft spot for the first Halloween movie, I was just at the right preteen age when that movie came out...

I wish I knew the name of those British vampire movies from the 60's, they're always entertaining...I'm sure at least one of them is bound to show up on Bravo's list.

several of Stephen Kings books have the ability to frighten the hell out of me when I first read them. I actually stopped reading him for years after reading the Stand. the movie is sooo not scary...

dissention
10-28-2004, 11:51 AM
You mean someone other than me has seen The Brood???? I saw this movie way back when it came out. I was a teenager still living with my parents. After the movie, about midnight, I got home and knew I wouldn't get any sleep because I figured those little things were hiding under my bed. So I knew I had to check under the bed before I would get any sleep. Right when I raised the covers to look, I mean at the *exact* moment, a cricket chirped that was apparently in my closet. I about died! :laugh: :laugh:

To this day, I still remember the old man flopping across the bed with his arm hanging over the edge and you just knew he was going to "get it". :lol:

:laugh:

I saw it when I was eight with my grandma and it scared the **** out me. I used to over her house on Friday ngihts and we would watch scary movies all night, she was a big movie fanatic. But that one movie just stuck with me for years. A few months ago, I found it on DVD and picked it up. If you haven't seen it on DVD, I recommend getting it because it's quite different from the video version. :nod: A lot of extra scenes are put back into the movie that I had never seen before and they make it even creepier. The DVD doesn't even say a word about extra scenes or an alternate cut of the film, it just says it's the regular, R-rated version when it's really a longer cut. They hav eit at DVDEmpire.com as one of the 2 for $15 Halloween specials. :D

dissention
10-28-2004, 11:56 AM
The Others was surprisingly good, so if you're looking for an available rental this Halloween, that's a good bet

The ending was one of the biggest shockers in history, IMO. I saw it at the theater and literally yelled "Holy ****!" :laugh:

I wish I knew the name of those British vampire movies from the 60's, they're always entertaining...I'm sure at least one of them is bound to show up on Bravo's list.

Did you ever see Roman Palanski's The Vampire Killers? That's one of my favorites. :nod:

several of Stephen Kings books have the ability to frighten the hell out of me when I first read them. I actually stopped reading him for years after reading the Stand. the movie is sooo not scary...

I thought that The Tommyknockers was horrifying, just horrific. That book had me in shivers.

I read IT and LOATHED it, but the movie scares the **** out of me. I bought it a few years ago and put it in my living room, but the cover freaked me out so much that I threw it out onto my porch. It's still there, too. :lol: It's so weird because I know it's only Tim Curry under the make-up, but still.

Gypsy-Rhiannon
10-28-2004, 11:57 AM
The Changeling
Long Time Dead
The Shining

I know there are others... can't think right now. It's the ghosty ones that really scare me!

Pip

estranged4life
10-28-2004, 12:13 PM
I have yet to see a movie that truly has scared me...Most are usually so boring I fall asleep quicker than usual.

Brian j.

wondergirl9847
10-28-2004, 01:34 PM
I love the suspense movies like The Shining. The Others was a good one! I screamed out loud in the theater during that one, and I've never done that at any other movie. LOL

I've been watching the countdown, but last night, I was flipping between that, Lost and The Color Purple (I'd never seen it before)...so it was difficult. I'll try to catch the entire countdown Friday, I guess.

Some of the scenes from movies I've never seen or heard of...EWWWWWW!!! LOL

mondaymornin1
10-28-2004, 04:18 PM
I didn't know that Bravo was showing that this week, thanks! I'm gonna do a Tivo search tonight and see whats upcoming and record some of those I've never seen. Lovin Tivo.

The Ring freaked me out. I also liked The Shining. And the first time I saw Halloween, my younger brother was 5 or 6 years old. I had to keep a close eye on him for a while :p

ThePenguin
10-28-2004, 07:19 PM
I would say The Ring and The Exorcist are my top two. The ending of the Ring scared me like no movie had done in ages.

-Lis

GODDESS6
10-28-2004, 07:35 PM
This movie nauseated me and is solely responsible with my obsession with making sure all the doors and windows are locked when I go to bed. :laugh: That one scene where Henry and Otis are watching the home video...my word. And that ending.

omg, i absolutely hate this movie, it was AWFUL :eek: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!~blessed be~
jill

wondergirl9847
10-28-2004, 10:51 PM
I watched this tonight and OMG....that scene in The Sentinel (?), with the guy who comes walking fast towards the camera....

Yeah, I almost wet myself!! :shocked: Scared the living CRAP outta me! I've never seen or heard of that movie.

The lady is standing there, scared, in a dark room, there is a figure of a short man behind the door, you see only the shadow. I'm thinking, okay, now what....then, all of a sudden, this old man in what looked like a wife beater and his boxers comes walking swiftly from behind the door and towards the camera and then the camera changes angles to show him walk outta the room!!! I got chills just TYPING the dang scene!! :laugh:

Sheesh!!

estranged4life
10-28-2004, 10:57 PM
the scariest movie I know is:

4 more years of George W. "Texas hasnt beat Oklahoma in 5 years now...Maybe Oklahoma really is the SUPERIOR state" Bush as President (Or in his case "Presi-DUNCE")

Brian "Couldnt help it...those damned Liberals have rubbed off on me" j.

Gypsy-Rhiannon
10-29-2004, 03:15 AM
I would say The Ring and The Exorcist are my top two. The ending of the Ring scared me like no movie had done in ages.

-Lis
The Ring scared me too. Very creepy. I didn't find The Exorcist scary at all tho

Pip

Patti
10-29-2004, 08:41 AM

-Lis

The Ring scared the holy bejeezus out of me. I haven't been able to enjoy a horror movie since I saw it. Which really stinks, because I used to love to watch horror flicks.

cliffdweller
10-29-2004, 09:22 AM
Bravo has been the Top 100 Scariest Movie Moments this week (and they chose some surprisingly good flicks and moments, too), so I was wondering which movies really scared people. These always scare the living **** out of me, no matter how many times I've seen it:

Suspiria
The music is scary as hell. I bought the limited edition DVD package and it came with the soundtrack. Needless to say, I've never listened to it. :cool: There are so many scenes in this movie that scare me: the opening sequence, the room full of barbed wire, the witches at the end, the seeing-eye dog murder. And the setting is so picturesque that it's almost shocking that it can be so unsettling.

The Brood
Why I'll never have kids. :laugh:

Haute Tension
My friend gave me the Korean (or British, I forget which) DVD and it creeped me out for days. One of the best horror flicks made in years.

Session 9
I heartily recommend this for Halloween, but don't watch it alone, you'll piss yourself.

When A Stranger Calls

You're right some of the moments are scary, however, some of them are just downright ridiculous. The Stepfather? Blood Simple? The Terminator? These are not scary movies, well, unless you consider Arnold S. scary in a completely different way as I do. :laugh:

Michael Meyers has to be the most frightening villian ever concocted. John Carpenter is a genius.

Have you see Ju-On yet? I was literally frightened for DAYS after seeing that movie!!

Gypsy-Rhiannon
10-29-2004, 09:30 AM
When A Stranger Calls
Just noticed this. This film scared the **** out of me...mainly because I was babysitting the first time I saw it! I think I would have died if the phone had rang while I was watching it

Pip

kak125
10-29-2004, 10:01 AM
I think the Exorcist is one of the scariest movies ever made. You gotta see the version that they re-released a couple of years ago with the spider scene and random shots of the devils face. Talk about freaky!!

Also, I think the first Friday the 13th is kinda scary, along with the first 2 Halloween movies, Children of the Corn, Candyman and any of the Hellraiser and Omen movies. Too freaky for me.

I didnt however think The Ring was scary at all. It was a good movie but I wasnt scared.

DeadliestPoison
10-29-2004, 10:54 AM
I think the Exorcist is one of the scariest movies ever made. You gotta see the version that they re-released a couple of years ago with the spider scene and random shots of the devils face. Talk about freaky!!
Yeah, that one didn't bring the scary over here. I felt sorta let down.

I have no idea what's wrong with me. Scary movies? ALWAYS scared me. Now? Not so much. Although 'Signs' did freak the hell outta me. And 'The Ring' was just creepy (there's a difference between creepy, freaky, and scary to me).

I'm gonna go see The Grudge soon, and I suspect that'll fall under the "Creepy" category.

ThePenguin
10-29-2004, 11:02 AM
Also, I think the first Friday the 13th is kinda scary, along with the first 2 Halloween movies, Children of the Corn, .

I forgot Children of the Corn! I used to watch that movie all the time /w a friend back in my HS days. That short guy Isaac who was like the leader-- what was up w/ *him*? He was one creepy fellow, even his weird voice scared me.

-Lis

wondergirl9847
10-29-2004, 11:23 AM
Deliverance was icky scary. LOL I just saw that movie recently because I'd always heard about it, and I watched it late at night. Ewwww....just ew. Redneck, inbred hillbillies are scary. LOL!!

The Ring was creepy and when the little girl climbed outta the TV, I was creeped out.

I prefer suspense tho, the kind of stuff where you are on the edge of your seat and BAM!! something comes outta nowhere!

cliffdweller
10-29-2004, 11:41 AM
I forgot Children of the Corn! I used to watch that movie all the time /w a friend back in my HS days. That short guy Isaac who was like the leader-- what was up w/ *him*? He was one creepy fellow, even his weird voice scared me.

-Lis

I totally agree. He was like a shrunken little man or something. You couldn't really make out what he was!

Mad4stevie
10-29-2004, 12:15 PM
The Ring was absolutely creepy. The ending was very unexpected.

As a child, I was terrified by The Birds and Psycho. Why my parents let me watch them, I will never know! I was afraid to shower with the shower curtain closed - LOL - and I also was afraid to sleep with the windows open in the summer!

I know that most people thought that The Blair Witch Project was stupid, but for some reason, the first time that I saw it, it scared me to the point that I kept having dreams at night that had the last sequence in it where the guy is standing in the corner of the room. For me, it was the fact that you couldn't see what was happening. That leaves way too much up to the imagination for me.

dissention
10-29-2004, 12:18 PM
Deliverance was icky scary. LOL I just saw that movie recently because I'd always heard about it, and I watched it late at night. Ewwww....just ew. Redneck, inbred hillbillies are scary. LOL!!

The Ring was creepy and when the little girl climbed outta the TV, I was creeped out.

I prefer suspense tho, the kind of stuff where you are on the edge of your seat and BAM!! something comes outta nowhere!

Deliverance nauseated me, it was incredibly gross. So, so icky.

DeadliestPoison
10-29-2004, 07:37 PM
Wow. The Grudge? Not scary. Not at all.

Merf
10-29-2004, 07:43 PM
Wow. The Grudge? Not scary. Not at all.

MMM. Jason Behr in his underwear. :xoxo: