PDA

View Full Version : Buddhism

Villavic
10-22-2004, 05:49 PM
Im curious about buddhism. I have started to read about it, last night I went to a conference ina budhhist center (Diamond Road). Very interesting

Is anyone involved in buddhism? Was it good for you? Do you practice meditation? Any comment and info is welcome, please share it.

markolas
10-22-2004, 06:15 PM
Im curious about buddhism. I have started to read about it, last night I went to a conference ina budhhist center (Diamond Road). Very interesting

Is anyone involved in buddhism? Was it good for you? Do you practice meditation? Any comment and info is welcome, please share it.

I practice Buddhism. :)

Soto Zen, specifically. I'm really bad about keeping a consistent meditation practice, but I keep trying. Hopefully, sooner or later, it'll stick.

What got you interested?

Villavic
10-22-2004, 06:22 PM
Meditation, and what to fight against bad emotions (I've been feeling depressed lately, and I realize I have many "ghosts" or little demons in my mind).

In general I've found that I've done many mistakes this year. I want to be a better person (I'm not a bad guy, but I'm not happy with myself and I make personal mistakes often). I have not found answers in religions. Each day I'm more skeptic about christianism.

madformac
10-22-2004, 06:37 PM
I have recently started reading and practising Zen Buddhism, more precisely Samurai Zen.

It's a very interesting subject.

Buddha is a sanskrit word for "one who has awakened"

Buddhism was started in Lumbini, India around 560 B.C. by Prince Siddhartha Gautama. He witnessed death poverty and sorrow for the first time in his late twenties and he set out on a quest to find the answer to human existance.

Gautama became known as Sakyamuni Buddha and based his enlightenment on the "Four Noble Truths"

1. All beings, human or celestial are bound by Karma (the law of cause and effect)

2. The chain of suffering is desire

3. The chain of suffering can be broken by obtaining Nirvana (enlightenment)

4. Nirvana is obtained by practising the "Eightfold Path"

OK, so what is the Eightfold Path you ask? Well it's made up of 8 precepts. 1) right views 2) right intentions 3) right speech 4) right conduct 5) right livelihood 6) right effort 7) right mindfulness 8) right concentration.

Buddhism spread from India to Napal to Tibet and onto China and then Japan in 552 A.D.

Buddhism is quite a strong path to follow, it's not a religion, more a way of life.

There are many exercises to follow including meditation and learning to silence your mind, breath control, techniques of becoming more aware of yourself and your body, your surroundings and the emotions of people you meet. Then there are the Samurai exercises such as the drawing of the sword (Iaido) and body postures and movement.

The ancient Samurai ( Samurai derived from the Japanese verb "Samurau" meaning to serve) believed in battle those who faught with egotism would eventually lose. the need to win is an ego based emotion. The spiritual warrior does not seek to enter a fight and would rather turn away from confrontation. To win without fighting is the key to confrontation. If you are drawn into a battle, walk away.... If you can't then you must fight without fighting, basically defend yourself rather than become aggressive and by doing this your enemy will tire and you will win... This applies to all modern day situations too. Practising Buddhism is to apply these teachings into your everyday life and become a better person and to hopefully gain enlightenment one day...

Hope that helps you a bit..

:wavey:

markolas
10-22-2004, 08:14 PM
Meditation, and what to fight against bad emotions (I've been feeling depressed lately, and I realize I have many "ghosts" or little demons in my mind).

In general I've found that I've done many mistakes this year. I want to be a better person (I'm not a bad guy, but I'm not happy with myself and I make personal mistakes often). I have not found answers in religions. Each day I'm more skeptic about christianism.

Hmm...

Meditation will help you, but you have to establish a regular practice, and stick with it. Which is difficult. I think a lot of people have the idea that Buddhist meditation will magically take away all their stress and negative emotions, and make them permanently happy and serene. It doesn't quite work that way. It forces you to face some rather unpleasant things about yourself, and it might feel like things are getting worse instead of better.

But, if you stay with it, you will be transformed by it. Or so I've been told ;)

markolas
10-22-2004, 08:16 PM
I have recently started reading and practising Zen Buddhism, more precisely Samurai Zen.

What is Samurai Zen?

wondergirl9847
10-22-2004, 08:44 PM
It's the Japanese movie that The Magnificent Seven was based on.

Oh wait...