PDA

View Full Version : Peter and Mayall live 1967

dansven
07-23-2004, 09:31 AM
Hi,

I posted this message on the Peter Green forum, but I was adviced to post it here too :) (I know it may not belong here)

Anyway, I found this article here on the Penguin:

December 3, 1998: MOJO magazine, December 1998 -- "A priceless live tape of John Mayall's Bluesbreakers featuring Peter Green has been discovered by Mike Vernon. Details are sketchy, but the recording includes versions of Double Trouble, Hideaway, All Your Love and The Stumble. Expect it next year on Deram." Thanks to Julie Kedward for this information.

Does anybody know if this has been released? According to the article it should have happened in 1999. I have always wondered why there weren't any live audience recordings of the Bluesbreakers and Peter from those days. They were THE blues band at the time, and gigging all the time.

If this recording exists, it is really "priceless", but I haven't seen it in the shops.

Daniel

chiliD
07-23-2004, 10:44 AM
You'd think that if there were live recordings of JM's Bluesbreakers during incarnations with Eric Clapton and Mick Taylor, that there'd be some with Peter Green who was the guitarist in between those two.

Ok, somebody start checking those abandoned suitcases in Australia. :blob2:

Cussion
07-23-2004, 10:46 AM
Wow! I would love to hear that one..

I found this old picture of Peter Green and John McVie, playing together with Paul Butterfield. Maybe during that recording they did with John Mayall..
http://www.bluestormmusic.com/images/PHOTOS_jmcviepgreen67_00.gif

sharksfan2000
07-23-2004, 11:02 AM
Great photo, Cussion! I haven't seen that one before.

It sure would be nice it those live recordings ever get released (assuming they really exist at all).

ThePenguin
07-23-2004, 11:57 AM
That photo is gorgeous. Where oh where is the rest of the film from that session....

Think of all the old photos that must exist that we will just never see. :-(

yes I am odd, but I'd almost rather see the photos than hear the music LOL.

-Lis

dansven
07-23-2004, 05:24 PM
Yeah, thanks a lot Cussion!!! :)

Cussion
07-23-2004, 06:17 PM
No problems!
I'll try to post every rare photo I'll find, and right now I've got some nice pictures from an Royal Albert Hall gig in late 1968 or maybe early 1969 (anyway, they were still using the Orange gear). I found 'em on a site, but I can't remember the URL, unfortunately.. I've also got a nice black&white picture of Peter playing his sunburst Fender Strat. I've got all these photos on my computer!

But the most wonderful and rare photo I have is in an old music magazine.
It is Peter Green sittin' on a chair, playing together with Snowy White, Nigel Watson and a black percussion guy. It is from '71 or maybe early '72, Peter has got short hair and he looks a bit unshaven, playing his Fender Strat. It it a very big photo, taking up nearly two pages in the magazine.. it seems to have been shot during the same period as this one:

http://www.petergreen-splintergroup.co.uk/images/gallery6.gif

dansven
07-23-2004, 06:46 PM
Wow! It sounds like it could be from the obscure "Heavy Heart" or "Beasts of Burden" sessions with Snowy and Nigel!

Cussion
07-23-2004, 06:57 PM
Yeah! I think it's from some kind of BBC television appearence,
cause they're sitting on a stage in a TV-studio with 'BBC Colour' cameras around 'em. This can bring you the most amazing thaughts, MAYBE someone out there has got the tape with a TV appearence of Peter Green performing his solo single 'Beasts of Burden' in colour!

dansven
07-24-2004, 09:10 AM
I don't know about Beasts of Burden, but I know there is a video tape among collectors with Peter (and band) performing Heavy Heart at Top Of The Pops 6/17/1971. I'm trying to get that one!! :)

Maybe the photo is from that appearance...?

Cussion
07-24-2004, 11:05 AM
Yes, it may be 'Heavy Heart'
Do you know about any another photos from this period?

sharksfan2000
07-24-2004, 01:44 PM
I found this in an old magazine, possibly from the same session that Cussion mentioned. The quality is not great - maybe someone with Photoshop can touch it up.

Cussion
07-24-2004, 01:55 PM
I found this in an old magazine, possibly from the same session that Cussion mentioned. The quality is not great - maybe someone with Photoshop can touch it up.

Thanks sharksfan! That's a cool picture..
I haven't seen it before, but it seems like it's been shot during the same time as the photo in my music magazine (they've got the same clothes and haircuts) On my picture, Peter is sitting down playing his sunburst Stratocaster (maybe he had already sold his old Les Paul by then), and the guy to the left on your picture (Nigel?) is also sitting down, playing a Fender bass.

Besides, I think Peter looks very healthy and together on that picture, doesn't he?

sharksfan2000
07-24-2004, 07:45 PM
Besides, I think Peter looks very healthy and together on that picture, doesn't he?
Yes, he does look good in those photos. I believe you're correct that it is Nigel on the left in that photo. Looking at the personnel listed for Peter's early '70s singles, I'm assuming the other two are Snowy White and Clifford Chewaluza.

I've found some other photos I'll see if I can scan in the next few days, a couple of Peter shortly after he left the band, and also a couple from the mid '70s where sadly he's not looking so good.

dansven
07-25-2004, 05:31 AM
Thanks a lot to you too, sharkfan2000!! :)

This is wonderful! I haven't seen many photos from the period between FM and his solo career on PVK. The only ones I've seen are the pictures on the cover of the Memphis Slim LP, and the one in the Biography.

The photos from the Memphis Slim session also show a good looking, healthy Peter. And I think that's exactly what Peter himelf said too. During that first period after FM, he felt very good, and he enjoyed the freedom that he hadn't had with Fleetwood Mac. I guess the problems must have started some time after that...? :shrug:

sharksfan2000
07-25-2004, 09:24 AM
The photos from the Memphis Slim session also show a good looking, healthy Peter. And I think that's exactly what Peter himelf said too.
Dansven - maybe you could post those photos from the Memphis Slim session! I'd love to see anything from that. And that reminds me, I've got a CD of the BB King in London album - the photo of Peter with BB and Duster Bennett looks like a good one, but it's so small you practically need a microscope! Does anyone have the old vinyl album? The photo on there must be a bit larger.

dansven
07-25-2004, 05:19 PM
Yes, sharkfan2000. I'll post the pictures in a few days. There are two black and white pics with Peter, and a few with other musicians.

Do you have a picture on the BB King CD??
I have the CD copy of "In London" but there are no picture there! Strange, maybe I'll have to get the vinyl of that one too ;)

Anyway, I'll post the pics from the Memphis Slim session soon.

sharksfan2000
07-25-2004, 06:04 PM
Do you have a picture on the BB King CD?? I have the CD copy of "In London" but there are no picture there! Strange, maybe I'll have to get the vinyl of that one too ;)
Yes, the one I have has a tiny photo inside the front cover foldout. But it's very tiny, about the size of a postage stamp. I guess I can try to scan it, but it would be nicer to have the photo from the vinyl album (assuming that photo is a bit larger).

sharksfan2000
07-25-2004, 08:28 PM
As promised, here are a couple of photos (see the attached files) - and these aren't even the ones I was thinking about before. I had these on my computer and realized they must be from that early '70s TV session that Cussion mentioned.

I will post some more later this evening - most likely I'll start a new thread for them on the Peter Green solo forum since they're more appropriate there.

I also have a few other photos I'll post in a new thread on this forum - a couple of pre-Mac Bob Welch photos, an early promo shot of Peter with the Bluesbreakers (pre-Aynsley), and a couple of live & TV shots of Mac from '69-'70.

sharksfan2000
07-26-2004, 12:01 AM
Since this is a Bluesbreakers-related thread, I'll attach a photo file of the group shortly after Peter joined them. From left to right - Hughie Flint, Peter Green, John McVie, John Mayall.

chiliD
07-26-2004, 10:32 AM
Since this is a Bluesbreakers-related thread, I'll attach a photo file of the group shortly after Peter joined them. From left to right - Hughie Flint, Peter Green, John McVie, John Mayall.

Could this one be from that timeframe of when Eric Clapton was on his "Greek Holiday"? (when Peter filled in, then was bounced when Clapton came back) I don't think Hughie was in the band for very long when Clapton returned (only long enough to record the Beano album...Dunbar took over not too long after those sessions, if I recall correctly).

sharksfan2000
07-26-2004, 02:04 PM
Could this one be from that timeframe of when Eric Clapton was on his "Greek Holiday"? (when Peter filled in, then was bounced when Clapton came back) I don't think Hughie was in the band for very long when Clapton returned (only long enough to record the Beano album...Dunbar took over not too long after those sessions, if I recall correctly).
According to the Chrome Oxide webpage for the Bluesbreakers, Peter Green joined the band on July 17, 1966, and Aynsley Dunbar replaced Hughie Flint on September 18th, 1966. Looks like the band played a few live dates during those two months but did not record anything.

sharksfan2000
07-26-2004, 03:14 PM
Here's a scan of that photo from the BB King in London CD, of Peter with Duster Bennett and BB King. As I mentioned, the original is really small, so this scan was about the best I could do. According to Mario's sessionography, the sessions were in June 1971.

dansven
07-26-2004, 04:22 PM
Sharkfan2000, thanks for the photos you posted here and on the Peter Green forum. That's very generous of you. :)

Here are the two photos from the Memphis Slim session - one with Peter alone, and one with Peter and Chris Spedding.

I also found a coloured picture of what may be the "Heavy Heart" Top Of The Pops session.

And in one music magazone I found a very small picture of Peter from the PVK period. It was very small, so the quality isn't that good. I think it's a cool picture. Probably a promo picture, but I haven't seen it elsewhere.

Daniel

sharksfan2000
07-26-2004, 04:34 PM
Great photos, dansven! Thanks for sharing them. :thumbsup:

That color one of Peter with the Strat looks the same as one of the black & white photos I posted, but this one is much better quality. I think I've seen one of those Memphis Slim photos before but I can't recall where. And I've never seen that PVK-era one.

dansven
07-27-2004, 05:34 AM
No problem :)

I once saw the Memphis Slim picture on a website called "The Peter Green Haven". It was the official Peter Green website long ago.

Great picture of Danny too! Thanks for that one!