PDA

View Full Version : Two more different women?

Gailh
07-20-2004, 07:44 AM
I was thinking - could there be two more different women than Christine and Stevie?

I mean we have one who has described a song of hers as "a perky little ditty" and another who dedicated a song of her to "the Indian spirits"

My theory is that when two people are so different they either hate each on sight or get on really well.

It still amazes me that they were so close and from what Christine says they still speak occasionally.

Of all the remaining members of the band Stevie has spoken about Christine with the most warmth and admitted that she missed her.

Any thoughts?

I could have put this on the main board or Stevie's board I suppose.

Gail

jbrownsjr
07-20-2004, 10:41 AM
I agree Gail. I believe they were very close early on due to problems with men, and loneliness on the road. As years went on, Stevie became a Superstar in her own right, and Christine was not interested in any more fame than she already had, so their lives went different directions "organically".

As they grew older Stevie came back to earth from drugs and fame and Christine was the same friend she always had. It was fine for their friendship because their friendship wasn't one that needed visits everyday. Just someone to share things with when it was important.

I believe these two touched each other's lives in ways we already know, but also in ways we will never know.

macfan 57
07-20-2004, 10:55 AM
I completely agree with everything that jbrownsjr just said. Chris has often mentioned that they were complete opposites. If both of them had the same type of personality, it never would have worked. I have been very impressed with the things that Stevie has said about Chris during the last year or so. She's shown alot of class, unlike certain other band members. And, I think everything that she's said has been genuine, too. It's great that they've still kept in contact, even if it's only been on an occasional basis.

Gailh
07-20-2004, 01:26 PM
[QUOTE=macfan 57]She's shown alot of class, unlike certain other band members. And, I think everything that she's said has been genuine, too./QUOTE]

Yes I would agree with that.

I think Stevie's attitude towards Christine's leaving has been spot on. OK we didn't want her to go but she went, we have to get on with our lives. Doesn't mean we don't miss her but life goes on.

Mr Buckingham on the other hand has been a little too defensive and has over compensated in my opinion.

Gail

Tango
07-24-2004, 04:20 AM
[QUOTE=macfan 57]She's shown alot of class, unlike certain other band members. And, I think everything that she's said has been genuine, too./QUOTE]

Yes I would agree with that.

I think Stevie's attitude towards Christine's leaving has been spot on. OK we didn't want her to go but she went, we have to get on with our lives. Doesn't mean we don't miss her but life goes on.

Mr Buckingham on the other hand has been a little too defensive and has over compensated in my opinion.

Gail
I agree with you Gail. I suspect perhaps it's because musically, he no longer has to be challenged in his opinions, decisions.

macfan 57
07-24-2004, 05:46 AM
I suspect perhaps it's because musically, he no longer has to be challenged in his opinions, decisions.

I completely agree with that. I definitely don't think Lindsey likes to be challenged about anything. And, Christine certainly wasn't afraid to stand up to him & make her opinions known.

bikerchic
07-24-2004, 09:22 AM
I'm sorry but I have to say this....I think Christine has always been insanely jealous of Stevie (her beauty & her success).

HomerMcvie
07-24-2004, 12:51 PM
I'm sorry but I have to say this....I think Christine has always been insanely jealous of Stevie (her beauty & her success).
Christine IS beautiful, and I'll bet she's got more money than Stevie(before the SYW tour anyway). There was the chart in Rolling Stone a few months ago, that put Chris at the 34th richest English rock star, with 25 million. She's too successful to be jealous(and too classy, for that matter).

David
07-24-2004, 01:42 PM
Do you mean that, all this time just pretending to downgrade Stevie's purported genius as a songwriter, Christine was in fact seething with jealousy over Stevie's bouncy blonde tresses & ringlets?

Gailh
07-24-2004, 01:53 PM

Ermm - what makes you say that?

Gail

bikerchic
07-24-2004, 03:20 PM
Do you mean that, all this time just pretending to downgrade Stevie's purported genius as a songwriter, Christine was in fact seething with jealousy over Stevie's bouncy blonde tresses & ringlets?

:nod: Yes that's what I mean.

macfan 57
07-24-2004, 03:50 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

macfan 57
07-24-2004, 03:55 PM
Christine IS beautiful, and I'll bet she's got more money than Stevie(before the SYW tour anyway). There was the chart in Rolling Stone a few months ago, that put Chris at the 34th richest English rock star, with 25 million. She's too successful to be jealous(and too classy, for that matter).

Homer, of course you're right except that 25 million figure is in English pounds. That would be about 40 million U.S. dollars. And that was about 6 years ago. It's probably even more now. :)

amber
07-24-2004, 05:44 PM
I think she was jealous for ONE SECOND and then got over it. It's obvious that she is the classiest, least ego/fame driven, most logical one in the band, to me. I'm sure she accepted her role fairly painlessly. It's not like she was the same kind of performer as Stevie, then Stevie came in and took her place. Like the post says, two more different women. Each with their own separate value within the band.
Amber

CFR
07-26-2004, 03:44 PM

I'm sorry but I have to say this....Only simpleminded people think like that.

That way is thinking is so beneath a classy woman like Christine that it's pathetic in its inception.

jbrownsjr
07-26-2004, 04:27 PM

I think you are talking about yourself, no? Were you jealous of someone in your life? Because making assumptions like these ususally just come from within, (an internal strife). Or simplemindedness as someone put it.

I'm glad Christine was always strong minded enough to "not" take comments like that personally. Because she has had those comments said to her before. And I believe I heard her say once.

"I'm very happy with what I'm doing and I'm good at it, I couldn't do what Stevie does and she does her thing very well, we respect each other's role in the band, and we get on as friends as well."

HomerMcvie
07-26-2004, 09:49 PM
Bravo!!! :nod:

macfan 57
07-27-2004, 06:14 AM
Well said, jbrownsjr. :thumbsup: I think bikerchic somehow wandered onto the Christine board by mistake. This person obviously knows nothing at all about Christine McVie.

bikerchic
07-27-2004, 04:24 PM
I think you are talking about yourself, no? Were you jealous of someone in your life? Because making assumptions like these ususally just come from within, (an internal strife). Or simplemindedness as someone put it.

Umm........sounds like you might know something about this.

Johnny Stew
07-27-2004, 04:34 PM
I don't think people should be attacking bikerchic for her opinion... jealousy is a natural human emotion, and it's natural to assume that one member of a band could have had twinges of jealousy regarding another member who receives more attention/recognition.

IF Christine ever felt moments of jealousy towards Stevie, however, she certainly never let it show in her various interviews over the years... and, according to Stevie herself, she never let it show to Stevie or effect their relationship.

Stevie has often said that Christine was never anything less than kind and generous with her, and that... while they're not frequently in touch... Christine is someone whom Stevie still considers to be one of her best friends.

Two women in a band... even when one of them might receive more attention than the other... doesn't always have to equal cattiness and resentment, and Christine & Stevie are proof of that. :)

Villavic
07-27-2004, 04:41 PM
I think she was jealous for ONE SECOND and then got over it.
Amber

I agree. She probably was jealous sometimes, as Frida was about Agnetha, but at the end they were always pals.

I think they became closer friends during the white/Rumours dates. Later Stevie became more independient with their solo career. Besides Chris didn't get along with Stevie's lifestyle during the 80s (too much tours, too much drugs).

And now in the 90s, I guess they are still very good friends, but Chris just wants to stay in England. That's it.

jbrownsjr
07-27-2004, 04:58 PM
[QUOTE=jbrownsjr]I think you are talking about yourself, no? Were you jealous of someone in your life? Because making assumptions like these ususally just come from within, (an internal strife). Or simplemindedness as someone put it.

Umm........sounds like you might know something about this.

BChic, I guess I sounded harsh and didn't really mean to be. :(

But, yes I read a book called "The Four Agreements" it talks about people that make assumptions about other people with no foundation. I was asking you, not stating that this was the case for you. I made no assumption about you. Further, I did not take your comments personally about me or Christine. (wow i said me and christine in the same sentence :) ) I was speaking more from wisdom, and what I have learned about people.

Further, since you brought it up, I'm not a real jealous person generally speaking. I have and do suffer from major insecurities at times, but always within myself, not compared to other people. I play piano and get so down on myself so much sometimes, that I never have time to be jealous or anyone else!!! :D :D :rolleyes: I guess over time it has mellowed some.

Peace to you and I did not wish to sound negative....

jbrownsjr
07-27-2004, 05:03 PM
I don't think people should be attacking bikerchic for her opinion... jealousy is a natural human emotion, and it's natural to assume that one member of a band could have had twinges of jealousy regarding another member who receives more attention/recognition.

IF Christine ever felt moments of jealousy towards Stevie, however, she certainly never let it show in her various interviews over the years... and, according to Stevie herself, she never let it show to Stevie or effect their relationship.

Stevie has often said that Christine was never anything less than kind and generous with her, and that... while they're not frequently in touch... Christine is someone whom Stevie still considers to be one of her best friends.

Two women in a band... even when one of them might receive more attention than the other... doesn't always have to equal cattiness and resentment, and Christine & Stevie are proof of that. :)

Oh quit with your always trying to reasonable!! :D Shouldn't your time be spent better over there defending RAL!!! LOL!!! Carne's never around when needed!

bikerchic
07-27-2004, 05:31 PM
I don't think people should be attacking bikerchic for her opinion...

Thank you Johnny Stew......I didn't mean what I said to be mean, I was just stating my opinion & I am sorry for offending some of you.

Very true!

bikerchic
07-27-2004, 05:44 PM
BChic, I guess I sounded harsh and didn't really mean to be. :(

And I guess I sounded harsh when I used the word "insanely".....sorry.

amber
07-27-2004, 05:53 PM
:laugh: true! I was like, "wait...INSANELY jealous? C'mon...Insanely?" :lol:
AMber

jbrownsjr
07-27-2004, 06:07 PM

It's cool. Now you have to be my friend! That's your punishment! Ha!

David
07-27-2004, 07:15 PM
I agree. She probably was jealous sometimes, as Frida was about Agnetha, but at the end they were always pals.
I betcha Stevie was insanely jealous of Christine because Christine's piano-playing skills are so much better!

I joke, of course. But how come this (equally absurd) scenario is never posited by the "Christine-is-jealous" contingent?

jbrownsjr
07-27-2004, 07:24 PM
I betcha Stevie was insanely jealous of Christine because Christine's piano-playing skills are so much better!

I joke, of course. But how come this (equally absurd) scenario is never posited by the "Christine-is-jealous" contingent?

Actually you are right! I have heard Christine talk about how well Stevie was coming along with her piano playing. And I have heard Stevie say how frustrating it could be when you didn't play an instrument.

HomerMcvie
07-27-2004, 08:46 PM
Well, I think most casual fans come here, ASSuming that we're all Stevie worshippers, expecting confirmation of their very pro Stevie opinions. :lol: :lol: :lol: Little do they expect that Christine is/was the queen of FM (at least in my world). :woohoo:

FairyPrincess
07-28-2004, 03:40 AM
I agree completely I don't think she was ever really jelous of Stevie, And yes Christine is the Queen :)

macfan 57
07-28-2004, 05:40 AM
And yes Christine is the Queen :)

I'll go along with that, too. :)

CFR
07-28-2004, 09:08 AM

If Stevie is/was jealous she never showed it either. After all Christine is a classically trained pianist...she plays Mozart for crying out loud! The last time I saw Stevie play piano was on the old Storytellers show on VH1 and it wasn't very good. She needs lessons. But she tried and I gave her credit for that. :)

Now as for this whole jealousy thread I feel it was ridiculous to begin with. The only reason it was brought up was because this person is a Stevie fan and it was nothing more than a way to take a potshot at Christine, opinion or not. That's the stuff they write on moronic soap operas. And now for another episode of.......As The Stomach Turns!