PDA

View Full Version : Pre-Rumours songs in Rumours-era shows?

BrokenWing
07-02-2004, 11:37 PM
Curious question--does anybody know which pre-BN Mac songs, apart from the well-documented Oh Well and Hypnotized, were performed at early BN-era shows? I saw an old review someone posted on the Rumours forum that mentioned Station Man and Spare Me A Little Of Your Love, but was that it?

Eileen

David
07-03-2004, 12:50 AM
Curious question--does anybody know which pre-BN Mac songs, apart from the well-documented Oh Well and Hypnotized, were performed at early BN-era shows? I saw an old review someone posted on the Rumours forum that mentioned Station Man and Spare Me A Little Of Your Love, but was that it?Lots & lots, & luckily lots & lots are on tape, including The Green Manalishi, Rattlesnake Shake, Oh Well, Station Man, Tell Me All the Things You Do, Sunny Side of Heaven, Spare Me a Little, Believe Me, Hypnotized & Why. There apparently were others, but these are actually on tape & therefore provide solid evidence.

chiliD
07-06-2004, 10:17 AM
Just recently on another board, someone semi-confirmed that they also played:

Bob Welch's "Angel" (Christine on vocals) and Danny Kirwan's "Child Of Mine" (Lindsey on vocals).

I said "semi-" because I'd previously heard that they played both of those tunes with Stevie handling lead vocals on both. :shrug:

But, this confirmation sounds a bit more realistic. The person who originally told me about these tunes probably couldn't take his eyes off of Stevie so when she sang the harmonies, he probably assumed she was singing lead. :laugh:

There's a little nagging vague recall in the back of my mind that they played "Black Magic Woman" (Lindsey vocal) in 1975 when they played Anaheim Stadium and opened for Loggins & Messina/Rod Stewart & Faces.

Villavic
07-16-2004, 03:29 PM
I have a CD boguht in Spain, kind of a bootleg with part of a concert from the white album days. Station Man and Hypnotized were included.

fleetfootmike
07-29-2004, 12:39 PM
Just recently on another board, someone semi-confirmed that they also played:

Bob Welch's "Angel" (Christine on vocals) and Danny Kirwan's "Child Of Mine" (Lindsey on vocals).

I said "semi-" because I'd previously heard that they played both of those tunes with Stevie handling lead vocals on both. :shrug:

But, this confirmation sounds a bit more realistic. The person who originally told me about these tunes probably couldn't take his eyes off of Stevie so when she sang the harmonies, he probably assumed she was singing lead. :laugh:

There's a little nagging vague recall in the back of my mind that they played "Black Magic Woman" (Lindsey vocal) in 1975 when they played Anaheim Stadium and opened for Loggins & Messina/Rod Stewart & Faces.

Got a pointer to the 'other board' posting in question, Steve?

fleetfootmike
07-29-2004, 01:04 PM
Lots & lots, & luckily lots & lots are on tape, including The Green Manalishi, Rattlesnake Shake, Oh Well, Station Man, Tell Me All the Things You Do, Sunny Side of Heaven, Spare Me a Little, Believe Me, Hypnotized & Why. There apparently were others, but these are actually on tape & therefore provide solid evidence.

I have "Jumping At Shadows" on a rather low quality boot labelled "San Diego '75".

fleetfootmike
09-07-2006, 04:09 AM
Revisiting this thread two years down the line:

Does anyone (David) have a note of which boot actually has a Rumours-era "Rattlesnake Shake" on it?

chiliD
09-07-2006, 10:17 AM
Revisiting this thread two years down the line:

Does anyone (David) have a note of which boot actually has a Rumours-era "Rattlesnake Shake" on it?

A "second" from me...I've never seen any boots with Lindsey's take of "Rattlesnake Shake" (although I've seen them play it in person a number of times)...and I sure would like to have one. {hint, hint}

fleetfootmike
09-07-2006, 03:04 PM
With you *all* the way, there, mate ;)

It's going in our setlist as soon as I do :)

Villavic
09-12-2006, 01:57 PM
I have a CD boguht in Spain, kind of a bootleg with part of a concert from the white album days. Station Man and Hypnotized were included.

Spare me a little is also in that CD, but not Rattlesnake Shake. I've never heard a Rattlesnake Shake version of the Rumours lineup, and as long as I remember, Mick didn't mention that song in his book, about being playing by the Rumours lineup.

chiliD
09-13-2006, 08:34 AM
I witnessed it a number of times. :nod: Sadly, up to now, there hasn't been any recordings circulated of them playing it.

DavidMn
09-13-2006, 01:33 PM
Whast about Tell Me All The Things You Do from Kiln House?

chiliD
09-13-2006, 01:39 PM
David mentioned it in the very first response to the original post of the thread. ;)

There are a couple of boots circulating with TMATTYD. A tour rehearsal and the Feb 22nd show from Philly come to mind immediately.

DavidMn
09-13-2006, 01:42 PM
David mentioned it in the very first response to the original post of the thread. ;)

There are a couple of boots circulating with TMATTYD. A tour rehearsal and the Feb 22nd show from Philly come to mind immediately.UGH! Here I thought I was gonna look smart, OOPS just the opposite. Steve, I always know I can count on u to correct me...:laugh:

nicepace
09-20-2006, 06:52 AM
In 1975 the band also performed Christine's "Get Like You Used To Be," but that wasn't a Fleetwood Mac song. It was originally recorded by Chicken Shack.

PenguinHead
09-20-2006, 09:45 PM
A "second" from me...I've never seen any boots with Lindsey's take of "Rattlesnake Shake" (although I've seen them play it in person a number of times)...and I sure would like to have one. {hint, hint}

A third from me. At what shows did the Rumours band play Rattlesnake Shake? I still don't believe it...until I hear it. It's news to me. I can see them possibly performing it around 1975...but by 1977 they seemed to phasing out most of the pre-Stevie/Lindsey stuff.

chiliD
09-21-2006, 08:45 AM
A third from me. At what shows did the Rumours band play Rattlesnake Shake? I still don't believe it...until I hear it. It's news to me. I can see them possibly performing it around 1975...but by 1977 they seemed to phasing out most of the pre-Stevie/Lindsey stuff.

Yes, the only shows I saw them play it were in '75/early '76. Usually at shows that they weren't the headliner.

Well, yeah, once Rumours caught fire, it was the death-knell for all but "Oh Well"...but, those first couple of months of the tour they were still playing:

Station Man
Believe Me
Why
Oh Well
Green Manalishi
Tell Me All The Things You Do
Sunny Side Of Heaven

Villavic
08-21-2023, 10:04 AM
Curious question--does anybody know which pre-BN Mac songs, apart from the well-documented Oh Well and Hypnotized, were performed at early BN-era shows?
Eileen

Was Tusk the last tour where they included pre-BN songs? I mean during Rumours lineup, cause later there is I loved another woman, sung by Vito and Oh Well by Billy. I think they also included Rattlesnake Shake.

jbrownsjr
08-21-2023, 08:03 PM
Was Tusk the last tour where they included pre-BN songs? I mean during Rumours lineup, cause later there is I loved another woman, sung by Vito and Oh Well by Billy. I think they also included Rattlesnake Shake.

Not Pre B/N. But they also did sing Tear It Up. Which I believe was on Mick's I'm Not Me.

Macfan4life
08-22-2023, 06:43 AM
Not really. Oh Well was performed on the Mirage tour. Their next tour in 1987 included 3 pre-Buck/Nicks songs, a Buckingham Nicks song, and 2 solo Nicks songs.

Its insane to think that a Buckingham Nicks song was performed without Lindsey but never performed when only Lindsey and Stevie fronted the band for over a decade without Chris.

jbrownsjr
08-22-2023, 04:24 PM
Not really. Oh Well was performed on the Mirage tour. Their next tour in 1987 included 3 pre-Buck/Nicks songs, a Buckingham Nicks song, and 2 solo Nicks songs.

Its insane to think that a Buckingham Nicks song was performed without Lindsey but never performed when only Lindsey and Stevie fronted the band for over a decade without Chris.

Which B/N was performed without LB? My brain hurts from trying to guess.

Macfan4life
08-22-2023, 04:31 PM
Which B/N was performed without LB? My brain hurts from trying to guess.
Don't Let Me Down again with Billy and Stevie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYAa2RT0x3I

WalkAThinLine.
08-22-2023, 06:35 PM
Fleetwood Mac played Don't Let Me Down Again on several occasions. One such instance is documented on the Live album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ggogb46e0EY

Villavic
08-22-2023, 06:38 PM

Hummm... I think it was fine they played GYOW in 1987 cause, though written by LB, it's a Fleetwood Mac song after all. But playing DLMDA, written by Lindsey, being a BN song, not a FM song, I'd have chosen other Mac song.

HomerMcvie
08-22-2023, 06:38 PM
Fleetwood Mac played Don't Let Me Down Again on several occasions. One such instance is documented on the Live album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ggogb46e0EY

But that was Lindsey.

WalkAThinLine.
08-22-2023, 08:06 PM
But that was Lindsey.

I misread an earlier post by Macfan4life. They were saying that it was surprising that Don't Let Me Down Again was played with Billy and Stevie and not when the band was fronted by Lindsey and Stevie for over a decade. I misread it as the band never played "Don't Let Me Down Again" with Lindsey, which obviously isn't true.

Also, while most of the people on this forum aren't fond of the Fakewood Mac lineup from 2018-19, I am pleased that they revived "Man of the World" for a few shows. Neil actually did a decent job on that song.

SteveMacD
08-22-2023, 10:40 PM
Hummm... I think it was fine they played GYOW in 1987 cause, though written by LB, it's a Fleetwood Mac song after all. But playing DLMDA, written by Lindsey, being a BN song, not a FM song, I'd have chosen other Mac song.

Couldn’t care less who wrote it or what album it originally appeared. The song was perfect for Billy’s style.

SteveMacD
08-22-2023, 10:47 PM

They played it once in 2004, I think.

HomerMcvie
08-23-2023, 01:33 AM
They played it once in 2004, I think.

I remember that they dropped the key, and it just didn't sound right.

Macfan4life
08-23-2023, 07:14 AM
Couldn’t care less who wrote it or what album it originally appeared. The song was perfect for Billy’s style.
Absolutely. While I was not overwhelmed with Billy's GYOW or Oh Well, DLMDA was his style completely. It was a really good version. I had recorded the Pittsburgh show and at the end they were sort of improvising at the end going back and forth "Dont YOU, let me down again, then Stevie: Dont YOU let me down again. That part was not in the opening night in Ames.
I also do recall the song was tested out once in 2004 and never played again. I suppose the masses just stared wondering what song it was and dropped it. Fleetwood Mac must be one of the few mega-bands that feels uncomfortable playing songs they want to do but their "fans" dont know them.

On a side note, I wish we had a real concert and not a lip-synced slick music video of the Tango show. It would be cool to have a professional recording of the song being performed live.
I know it was the 80s but what a lost opportunity :(

jbrownsjr
08-23-2023, 10:37 AM

God, I don't remember that. My poor brain is getting older.

Macfan4life
08-23-2023, 03:08 PM
Was the chiffon too tight that night?
:)

jbrownsjr
08-24-2023, 02:05 PM
Was the chiffon too tight that night?
:)

I'll be Garbo and you be Marlene Dietrich, Christine!

aleuzzi
08-25-2023, 04:24 PM

I’d never seen or heard that performance before now and am impressed, especially by Rick’s fluid guitar and Mick’s powerhouse drumming.

WalkAThinLine.
08-25-2023, 09:18 PM
The post-Rumours band also played "I Loved Another Woman" on both their Shake the Cage tour and Behind the Mask tour

jbrownsjr
08-28-2023, 01:17 PM
I’d never seen or heard that performance before now and am impressed, especially by Rick’s fluid guitar and Mick’s powerhouse drumming.

Holy Cow!!! They played that with more energy than the true line up!!
Stevie was incredible!

That was amazing.

David
08-28-2023, 01:23 PM

Billy always said he was one of the more rabid Lindsey Buckingham fans, and I think he was the one who actually got it added to the set in 1987. A perfect choice because it lit a fire under Stevie and was one of the highlights of the show that year. “Incendiary” is the term reviewers most often used.

jbrownsjr
08-28-2023, 01:36 PM
Billy always said he was one of the more rabid Lindsey Buckingham fans, and I think he was the one who actually got it added to the set in 1987. A perfect choice because it lit a fire under Stevie and was one of the highlights of the show that year. “Incendiary” is the term reviewers most often used.

They were "smokin"!!! :eek::eek::eek:

aleuzzi
08-28-2023, 04:24 PM

They really were. Good vocals by both Billy and Stevie. But the real surprise for me is how Rick and Mick took the ding to another level—harder, tighter, and more exploratory at the same time. I can hear the organ swell through portions of it, too..

Macfan4life
08-28-2023, 04:48 PM
And the saddest part is there are no professional recordings of it released in audio or visual. The band could have had a real live concert released of at least 90 minutes like Mirage. Instead they lip synced live music while everyone was dressed up posing for the camera. Its was a slick 60 minute music video. The only genuine live parts are clips far from the stage and edited into the video. I suppose cool for the slick late 1980s but seriously, what were they thinking?

jbrownsjr
08-28-2023, 08:52 PM
They really were. Good vocals by both Billy and Stevie. But the real surprise for me is how Rick and Mick took the ding to another level—harder, tighter, and more exploratory at the same time. I can hear the organ swell through portions of it, too..

The BTM Cleveland Show was of that caliber. It was fanF***ing tastic.

Christine was on fire and led the group, (she even got mentioned in the reviews for leading the way)... But everyone was on point.

aleuzzi
08-29-2023, 12:06 PM
The BTM Cleveland Show was of that caliber. It was fanF***ing tastic.

Christine was on fire and led the group, (she even got mentioned in the reviews for leading the way)... But everyone was on point.

I looked for a review (November 20, Richmond Theatre, right?) If you know where I can see one...

jbrownsjr
08-29-2023, 10:16 PM
I looked for a review (November 20, Richmond Theatre, right?) If you know where I can see one...

It was Richfield, Ohio. Richfield Coliseum.

jbrownsjr
08-30-2023, 07:56 AM

I haven't been able to find one.

The local station, WMMS, was playing FM as we were leaving the venue. Even they were talking about how amazing the show was.

The reviews I used to read were generally from:

Cleveland Press
Cleveland Plain Dealer
Chronical Telegram
Scene Magazine
Rolling Stone etc.

aleuzzi
08-31-2023, 11:16 AM
I haven't been able to find one.

The local station, WMMS, was playing FM as we were leaving the venue. Even they were talking about how amazing the show was.

The reviews I used to read were generally from:

Cleveland Press
Cleveland Plain Dealer
Chronical Telegram
Scene Magazine
Rolling Stone etc.

Thanks—I saw a lot of web stuff listing the show, but no reviews. I’ll keep searching. Would love to read anything that recognizes Christine as the star of the show..