PDA

View Full Version : Live At The BBC liner notes

macfan 57
06-24-2004, 06:27 AM
I am wondering about the liner notes in the booklet of the Live At The BBC CD set. When it says that a song was first broadcast on a certain date, does that mean that it was broadcast live on that date or was it recorded earlier then aired on the BBC on that broadcast date? The reason I'm asking is because there are a number of songs that were first broadcast on 8/22/70. Peter Green is listed as being a part of this line-up. I thought Peter quit the band back in May 1970. Chris joined the band in August 1970, but she's not listed as being part of this line-up. There are several songs from the Kiln House album that are a part of the 8/22/70 set. I've never heard that Peter had anything to do with these songs.

Also, "Need Your Love So Bad" & "Stop Messing' Around" are in this set. Christine is listed as a guest on both of these songs. But, I can't hear her keyboards on either of these songs. And, the sound is slightly different on both of these songs from every other track & there is an audience clapping at the end of both songs. It's the only time there is clapping at the end on the entire 2 CDs. Does anybody know why this is?

sharksfan2000
06-24-2004, 09:41 AM
I'm pretty sure all of the dates listed in the liner notes are broadcast dates, not recording dates. Most sessions were recorded at least a week prior to the broadcast. The participation of Peter Green on those Kiln House tracks is an obvious error in the liner notes. The "Chrome Oxide" sessionography on the web lists the session broadcast on 8/22/70 as being recorded 7/7/70.

And you're not the only one who questions the participation of Christine on those other two tracks you mention - BklynBlue pointed out to me that her presence cannot be heard on these tracks. "Need Your Love So Bad" & "Stop Messing' Around" were both from one recording session (maybe a studio audience there?) so that would explain the different sound on those two.

BklynBlue is the real expert on the BBC recordings - hopefully he will respond with more info.

macfan 57
06-24-2004, 10:31 AM
Thanks, sharksfan2000. :) That 7/7/70 recording date makes sense, after Peter but before Christine. There is a piano on "Honey Hush", but maybe that's Jeremy, not Christine. I just wondered if these recordings were genuinely "live" or recorded before being broadcast.

BklynBlue
06-27-2004, 03:55 PM
Sorry I'm so late to the party! After Sharkfan2000's kind words I felt I needed to add my two cents worth (that's about all I have left after paying Sharkfan2000 for those kind words!)

You have hit upon one of the biggest headaches in reviewing the Peter Green era Fleetwood Mac catalog. There are so many errors of both commission and omission that it is very difficult to sort it out.

Sticking just to the "Live at the BBC" liner notes: the biggest mess-up has to be the inclusion of the five songs recorded after he had left the band.

Then there are the missing composer credits on "Heavenly" and "Preachin'", originally done be Conway Twitty and Son House, respectively. "Preachin' Blues" should rightfully be credited to Robert Johnson who freely adapted it from Son House.
In the text of the liner notes, it is said that "I Can't Hold Out" is "a retitled version of Elmore James' 'Telephone Blues'."
Elmore James never recorded a song under the title "Telephone Blues". James recorded "I Can't Hold Out" for Chess in 1960. In 1963 he recorded the song again for one of Bobby Robinson's labels and it was released as "Talk To Me Baby", the title under which it usually shows up on Fleetwood Mac releases.

Nick Pickett is credited on "Only You" and "Sandy Mary" in the liner notes when he had only played on "Leaving Town Blues" at the session from which those tracks were taken.
I believe that is the same situation with McVie's credits on the songs you noted. I think she came out for only one or two songs but is credited for playing on the session.
Christine McVie's credit on "Need Your Love So Bad" and "Stop Messin' Round" stem from the fact that although there were two different sessions done one day after the other on August 26th and August 27th 1968, the set lists have been combined.

Applause can be heard either at the head or tail of both "Stop Messin' Round" and "Need Your Love So Bad". I believe that these were recorded before an audience on the 26th along with "Lazy Poker Blues" and Love That Burns" on the "Vaudeville Years" collection.
I need to do a little more research but I am leaning towards saying that the version of "Talk To Me Baby" on "Show-Biz Blues" is also from that session.
I believe that what is alternately listed as "Shake Your Moneymaker" or "Hawaiian Boogie" on the bootlegs from the 26th show has Christine on it and that is why she is credited as having played the session(s).
The errors and incorrect titles surrounding those two sessions are just ridiculous and I won't get into them here.

So as not to use up any more bandwidth than necessary, I'll leave it at that -
If you have questions on any of the BBC sessions please throw them out to the list or if you like, contact me off list and I'll be happy to share my limited knowledge.

macfan 57
06-27-2004, 04:09 PM
Thank you, BklynBlue. :) It sounds like you have unlimited knowledge of the Live at the BBC set. :laugh: