PDA

View Full Version : Welch & Friends Live @ The Roxy on CD

wetcamelfood
06-15-2004, 07:17 PM
Amazon.co.uk list Bob Welch & Friends Live at the Roxy as coming out on CD:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00027EFSE/ref=sr_aps_music_1_1/026-1466416-0838009

I hope Pilot were able to squeeze the whole show on the one CD. :)

John

macfan 57
06-16-2004, 06:10 AM
Thanks, John. :) Do you know anything else about this CD? Do you have the set list for the entire show? I have the show on VHS tape. It's only about 50 minutes long so I know it can't be the entire show. I checked Bob's website & I can't find anything on there. Bob mentioned in his Q & A that somebody in England had the rights to this show. I always assumed that it would be released on DVD, but I'll take the CD.

This is a very tough decision. Christine's album is coming out on 6/21 & Bob's CD will be out on 6/28. If I order them together, the shipping charges will be less but I'll have to wait an extra week for Christine's CD. I'll have to think about this. :)

wetcamelfood
06-16-2004, 05:08 PM
HA! I know what you mean on the ordering dilemma, I run in to that all of the time. :)

No I don't have a tracklisting, I first read about this CD release in the July 2004 issue of ICE magazine in the "collectables" section towards the back and after seeing it listed there as a UK release, I did a general search at Amazon UK to see if it would come up as a DVD release as well but no such luck. It probably would've been region 2 anyways (since the US uses regions 1 discs).

I did once write down the tracklist for this program from my VHS copy but I can't find it now, I'll keep digging and post it if I find it. The copy I have I think is about 80 minutes so it might JUST squeeze on to the disc if they cut out the talking etc. but I have a feeling they may discard one track, they tend to do that to get around rights issues (since it's apparently a bigger deal to reissue a whole program then a "part" of one (i.e. minus one track), (e.g. the Dave Mason "Live at Perkins Palace" DVD is the old "Dave Mason In Concert" VHS from 1981 minus "Maybe").

Oh, and I agree, I wish it was a DVD release but this is better than nothing. :)

John

macfan 57
06-16-2004, 06:15 PM
Thanks, John. :) I posted the partial set list from my VHS tape on the Legacy message board if you're interested. You must have an additional 30 minutes of the show.

I think I'm going to order this separately & pay a little extra for shipping. I just can't wait an extra week for Christine's CD. :)

Thanks once again. If it hadn't been for you, I wouldn't ever have known about this CD. :)

wetcamelfood
06-16-2004, 07:32 PM
Sure thing, I'm just hoping you're listing will jog my memory. :)

John

macfan 57
06-17-2004, 06:20 PM
John, thanks to Claudia on the Go Your Own Way U.K. website, I've found that this CD is listed as an import on the Amazon U.S. site. There's also a set list, too! Do you think this is the entire show?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00027EFSE/sorceclaudsst-20/103-3341370-9694210

wetcamelfood
06-17-2004, 08:31 PM
Thanks Macfan (& Claudia if you're here), yeah that very well could be it, those tunes would sure add up to about 80 minutes anyways considering the likes of "Outskirts" had extended guitar solos etc. and I can't think of any others from the show not listed there.

Oh yeah, "Black book", I KNEW there was at least another Paris song in there and "Hypnotized", I knew there were other pre BN FM songs on there. :)

This is great anyways that it looks like it's including the whole thing. Hopefully the full show in DVD format will follow. :)

Odd that they list Stevie as "Madam X" but can list the others, hmm...

John

skcin
06-18-2004, 02:59 PM
I must admit, I'm not that familiar with most of Bob Welch's work, but I do have this video & I really like it. I may have to invest in this - having that version of GDW alone on CD may be worth it.

Paula

David
06-18-2004, 04:50 PM
Thanks Macfan (& Claudia if you're here), yeah that very well could be it, those tunes would sure add up to about 80 minutes anyways considering the likes of "Outskirts" had extended guitar solos etc. and I can't think of any others from the show not listed there.That is indeed the entire set from the SelectaVision laserdisc as well as the Westwood One broadcast back in the early '80s. But there must be some shortening going on because the laserdisc & broadcast were both approximately one hour & 21 minutes.
Odd that they list Stevie as "Madam X" but can list the others, hmm...She was billed as Madame X in the paper ads to prevent mobs from filling up the small Roxy (they did anyway), but they billed her & the others by their real names on the theater marquee. Poor Bob Weston, who's there playing on Remember Me . . . they seem not to have billed him at all on this CD.

Couple of interesting points: Welch & Co. rehearsed Stop Dragging My Heart Around initially, but decided to play Gold Dust Woman instead. Also, the final Blues in A is actually in A flat. Christine joked a bit with the crowd that she would have played on the jam but she can't jam in A flat.

gldstwmn
06-19-2004, 02:07 PM
John, thanks to Claudia on the Go Your Own Way U.K. website, I've found that this CD is listed as an import on the Amazon U.S. site. There's also a set list, too! Do you think this is the entire show?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00027EFSE/sorceclaudsst-20/103-3341370-9694210

Thank you for this! i am going to pre order it. Stevie is listed as "Madame X". :laugh:

gldstwmn
06-19-2004, 02:09 PM
I must admit, I'm not that familiar with most of Bob Welch's work, but I do have this video & I really like it. I may have to invest in this - having that version of GDW alone on CD may be worth it.

Paula

It's one of my favorite GDW versions. I've never seen the video. Her performance with Bob Welch at California Jam on Ebony Eyes is stellar though. :nod:

chiliD
06-19-2004, 06:20 PM
Her performance with Bob Welch at California Jam on Ebony Eyes is stellar though. :nod:

Bob Welch's entire set was "stellar"...double that due to his set beginning at 10AM!!!!!

gldstwmn
06-20-2004, 12:40 AM
Bob Welch's entire set was "stellar"...double that due to his set beginning at 10AM!!!!!

It was! They were all so chipper for 10:00 am. I loved it when they talked about the "heeelicopters." Mick was out there for a song or two also. Now I'm going to have to go watch that again. :lol:

skcin
06-21-2004, 07:00 AM
It's one of my favorite GDW versions. I've never seen the video. Her performance with Bob Welch at California Jam on Ebony Eyes is stellar though. :nod:

I do prefer the Cal Jam version of Ebony eyes to the Roxy version (when I first saw the Roxy version, I kept expecting Stevie's "yeah" between verses, but they aren't there!)

Paula

Gwillaker
06-23-2004, 01:10 PM
Bob and Friends Welch? :shocked:

Is Friends a ralation of Bob's? ;)

macfan 57
06-23-2004, 03:41 PM
I was checking out the message board on Bob Welch's website. Here's what Bob had to say about this release. Pretty interesting.

http://www.bobwelch.com/_Forum/0000007f.htm

Johnny Stew
06-23-2004, 04:07 PM
That is very interesting.

I just hope rights issues don't cause this to be pulled before it's ever even released.

(I also hope Bob will be getting royalties from this.)

Gwillaker
06-23-2004, 06:04 PM
I saw that post at Bob's forum (I frequently annoy him with questions about music and Fleetwood mac :p ). Very interesting indeed...

BLY
07-12-2004, 03:18 PM
This cd has yet to be shipped from Amazon? Did the release date change?

macfan 57
07-12-2004, 05:46 PM
I got my CD last week. I ordered it from Amazon U.K.

BLY
07-12-2004, 06:06 PM
Thanks. I may have to cancel and reorder from uk. How is it?

macfan 57
07-12-2004, 06:40 PM
That's what I did. Originally, I ordered my copy through the Amazon U.S. site. But, they kept changing the release date. So, I cancelled that order & re-ordered from the Amazon U.K. site. It's even slightly cheaper on the U.K. site. The CD is excellent. It's not the complete show, but it's very close.

gldstwmn
07-17-2004, 03:55 PM
I just got this today. I didn't realize John McVie was there playing bass as well.