PDA

View Full Version : ~Nomad/Candlebright~

kristin
03-01-2001, 08:20 PM
Hey guys~
So I volunteered to do the lyric interpretation for this week and decided that it would be really fun to interpret a song that was going to be on Stevie's upcoming album, and also a song that most of us hvae heard as a demo for years. So, here is Nomad, or shall I say Candlebright. This was a song written by Stevie, I believe in the Buckingham Nicks era(LOL, yes Alex, feel free to go crazy with Lindsey on this one!!), but I'm not sure on this so if I am wrong, please correct me. Obviously it never made it onto an album, but will appear on Trouble In Shangri-La, her album coming out in May under the new name of Candlebright. So here are the lyrics, and let's hear what everyone thinks is going on in this song! Please interpret!! :) Thanks :)

~Nomad/Candlebright~

For no special reason
I am leaving you for awhile tonight
I'm flying far above you
Still I love you
You make things right
I've been with you before
I'll be with you again
I'll come back for more..Yeah
The story has a strange ending
Oh..Oh..Yeah..
Well, you know me
I'm a nomad
I can't feel bad
About the way I am
I've been rolling around
My whole life
You're my candle bright
In the window
You guide me back again
And I come when you shine
You are not my friend..No
But I am something of a dreamer
I am something of a dreamer

**kristin**

Farrah
03-01-2001, 10:46 PM
This is actually the first time I'm looking at this song ... it's not as lyrically rich as some of her other songs, but I think it definitely describes her nomadic Gemini nature ... not really meant to stay in one place. The "You are not my friend" line shows up in a lot of places ... like in Whole Lotta Trouble and Thousand Days. She can't have one person be both a friend and a lover. It also looks like she might have written this ... or thought of it ... while someone was sleeping next to her.

rhiannon1119
03-02-2001, 10:51 AM
Okay, here is what I came up with....I think this song could be about when she dreams.

She is leaving for awhile to go where her dreams take her, but she will be back because she loves him and always comes back to him. She is like a nomad....always moving from place to place, even in her dreams. His love is like a candle burning in the window....always guiding her back to him.

...just my opinion.

:) Michelle

BBALLGYPSY17
03-02-2001, 05:27 PM
" This was a song written by Stevie, I believe in the Buckingham Nicks eraLOL, yes Alex, feel free to go crazy with Lindsey on this one!!"

Oh I will Kristin;) I'm going to put all my thoughts in caps:p
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~Nomad/Candlebright~

For no special reason
I'm flying far above you
Still I love you
You make things right

STEVIE'S LEAVING LINDSEY(IN HER MIND).JUST DRIFTING OFF INTO THE SUBCONSCIOUS,SOMETHING SHE'S FAIRLY GOOD AT DOING.I THINK HER SAYING THERE'S "NO SPECIAL REASON" IS SOME FORM OF FREEDOM BECAUSE IN HER MIND WAS REALLY THE ONLY WAY SHE CAN LEAVE HIM BECAUSE SHE WAS SO ATTACHED AND ALSO BECAUSE OF THE FACT THAT HE WAS JUST A TAD POSSESSIVE OF HER.THOSE FINAL TWO LINES ARE JUST THE THINGS TO SAY TO SOMEONE YOU LOVE TO REASSURE THEM OF YOUR RELATIONSHIP.LINDSEY DOES "MAKE THINGS RIGHT'"- HE KNOWS HOW TO INTERPRET HER MUSIC AND I'M SURE SHE FELT AT TIMES THAT HE WAS THE ONLY ONE THAT COULD UNDERSTAND HER AND HER WORRIES-THEY WERE GOING THROUGH THE SAME THINGS WHILE LIVING WITH EACHOTHER.THE OTHER THING WAS THAT THEY WERE "LOVERS" SO I'M SURE HE MADE THINGS RIGHT......

I'll be with you again
Oh..Oh..Yeah..

BACK TO THE WHOLE "LOVERS" THING.SHE'S NOW TELLING HIM THAT NO MATTER HOW MUCH SHE FLOATS OFF IN HER MIND THAT SHE'LL BE THERE,SHE WANTS TO BE THERE.THE FIRST THREE LINES I BELIEVE ARE IN REFERENCE TO BOTH THEIR PHYSICAL AND EMOTIONAL RELATIONSHIP.NO MATTER HOW BAD IT GETS BETWEEN THEM EMOTIONALLY SHE TELLS HIM "I'LL COME BACK FOR MORE" AND THAT "STORY HAS A STRANGE ENDING" BECAUSE NORMALLY PEOPLE DON'T SLEEP TOGETHER IF THEY CAN'T HAVE A CIVIL CONVERSATION-THEY SEEMED TO GET OVER THAT OFTEN....."OH OH YEAH" BASICALLY AN "I DON'T MIND" (AND GOSH WHO WOULD-HE'S SUCH A HOTTIE)

Well, you know me
I'm a nomad
I can't feel bad
About the way I am
I've been rolling around
My whole life

HER TELLING LINDSEY THAT " YOU KNOW ME" MAY BE IN SOME FORM A REFERENCE TO THE FACT THAT HE DOESN'T AS MUCH AS SHE'D LIKE HIM TO BECAUSE IF HE DID KNOW HER THEN SHE WOULDN'T HAVE TO TELL HIM WHAT SHE IS OR SAY "I CAN'T FEEL BAD" EVEN THOUGH SHE DOES FEEL GUILTY ABOUT DOING WHAT SHE HAS TO DO IN HER MIND TO COMPENSATE WHAT SHE CAN'T DO IN REAL-LIFE WHICH IS LEAVE HIM.THE LAST 3 LINES ARE REFERENCE TO ALL THE MOVING SHE HAD TO DO BECAUSE OF HER FATHERS JOBS,BUT ALSO REFERENCE TO HER "SPACINESS"

You're my candle bright
In the window
You guide me back again

SHE'S TELLING HIM THAT "YOUR MY EVERYTHING" AND "YOU MAKE EVERYTHING OK".WHEN SHE DRIFTS TO FAR OF INTO NONREALITY HE'S ALWAYS THERE TO GIVE HER A GOOD REASON TO COME BACK;HIM BEING THE LESS SPACEY,MORE GROUNDED ONE THAT HE IS...HE "SHINES" WHEN THEY ARE GETTING ALONG AND WHEN HE WANTS TO GET INTIMATE

WELL THEY WERE NEVER REALLY FRIENDS TILL RECENTLY BUT THEY WERE ALWAYS LOVERS,I'M SURE IT WAS BETTER WHEN THEY WERE GETTING ALONG BUT AGAIN THEY DIDN'T SEEM TO MIND THAT MUCH.STEVIE'S "SOMETHING OF A DREAMER" BECAUSE OF HOW SHE FLOATS OFF IN HER OWN MIND AND BECAUSE SHE "DREAMS" THAT HER AND HIM WILL GET ALONG BETTER,MAKE IT IN THE MUSIC BIZ------AND THAT THE RELATIONSHIP WOULD SOMEHOW WORK OUT

THIS WAS FUN TO INTERPRET-NICE PICK KRISTIN!!!:)

LOL:cool:
~alex~*

kristin
03-05-2001, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by Farrah
This is actually the first time I'm looking at this song ... it's not as lyrically rich as some of her other songs, but I think it definitely describes her nomadic Gemini nature ... not really meant to stay in one place. The "You are not my friend" line shows up in a lot of places ... like in Whole Lotta Trouble and Thousand Days. She can't have one person be both a friend and a lover. It also looks like she might have written this ... or thought of it ... while someone was sleeping next to her.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I totally agree Farrah!
I think it totally is a response to her naturally Gemini behavior! I think Stevie is a restless soul...not in a bad way, but in a way that she is always moving forward, looking for new ways of doing things, new experiences, better ways of living, a sense of inner peace. And I like your point on how it sounds like she wrote while sleeping next to someone, that's neat, and I can totally see it. :)

**kristin**

kristin
03-05-2001, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by rhiannon1119
Okay, here is what I came up with....I think this song could be about when she dreams.

She is leaving for awhile to go where her dreams take her, but she will be back because she loves him and always comes back to him. She is like a nomad....always moving from place to place, even in her dreams. His love is like a candle burning in the window....always guiding her back to him.

...just my opinion.

Michelle~
I love that you pointed this out, because that's one of the reasons I love Stevie so much: She's a dreamer. That's something that's always been huge part of my life, being a dreamer...lol. And I agree, this song is a little bit about dreaming. I think it may be about her realizing a lot of things through her dreams, and now she's telling this "person" how it is going to affect them.

**kristin**

kristin
03-05-2001, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by BBALLGYPSY17

" This was a song written by Stevie, I believe in the Buckingham Nicks eraLOL, yes Alex, feel free to go crazy with Lindsey on this one!!"

Oh I will Kristin;) I'm going to put all my thoughts in caps:p
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~Nomad/Candlebright~

For no special reason
I'm flying far above you
Still I love you
You make things right

STEVIE'S LEAVING LINDSEY(IN HER MIND).JUST DRIFTING OFF INTO THE SUBCONSCIOUS,SOMETHING SHE'S FAIRLY GOOD AT DOING.I THINK HER SAYING THERE'S "NO SPECIAL REASON" IS SOME FORM OF FREEDOM BECAUSE IN HER MIND WAS REALLY THE ONLY WAY SHE CAN LEAVE HIM BECAUSE SHE WAS SO ATTACHED AND ALSO BECAUSE OF THE FACT THAT HE WAS JUST A TAD POSSESSIVE OF HER.THOSE FINAL TWO LINES ARE JUST THE THINGS TO SAY TO SOMEONE YOU LOVE TO REASSURE THEM OF YOUR RELATIONSHIP.LINDSEY DOES "MAKE THINGS RIGHT'"- HE KNOWS HOW TO INTERPRET HER MUSIC AND I'M SURE SHE FELT AT TIMES THAT HE WAS THE ONLY ONE THAT COULD UNDERSTAND HER AND HER WORRIES-THEY WERE GOING THROUGH THE SAME THINGS WHILE LIVING WITH EACHOTHER.THE OTHER THING WAS THAT THEY WERE "LOVERS" SO I'M SURE HE MADE THINGS RIGHT......

I'll be with you again
Oh..Oh..Yeah..

BACK TO THE WHOLE "LOVERS" THING.SHE'S NOW TELLING HIM THAT NO MATTER HOW MUCH SHE FLOATS OFF IN HER MIND THAT SHE'LL BE THERE,SHE WANTS TO BE THERE.THE FIRST THREE LINES I BELIEVE ARE IN REFERENCE TO BOTH THEIR PHYSICAL AND EMOTIONAL RELATIONSHIP.NO MATTER HOW BAD IT GETS BETWEEN THEM EMOTIONALLY SHE TELLS HIM "I'LL COME BACK FOR MORE" AND THAT "STORY HAS A STRANGE ENDING" BECAUSE NORMALLY PEOPLE DON'T SLEEP TOGETHER IF THEY CAN'T HAVE A CIVIL CONVERSATION-THEY SEEMED TO GET OVER THAT OFTEN....."OH OH YEAH" BASICALLY AN "I DON'T MIND" (AND GOSH WHO WOULD-HE'S SUCH A HOTTIE)

Well, you know me
I'm a nomad
I can't feel bad
About the way I am
I've been rolling around
My whole life

HER TELLING LINDSEY THAT " YOU KNOW ME" MAY BE IN SOME FORM A REFERENCE TO THE FACT THAT HE DOESN'T AS MUCH AS SHE'D LIKE HIM TO BECAUSE IF HE DID KNOW HER THEN SHE WOULDN'T HAVE TO TELL HIM WHAT SHE IS OR SAY "I CAN'T FEEL BAD" EVEN THOUGH SHE DOES FEEL GUILTY ABOUT DOING WHAT SHE HAS TO DO IN HER MIND TO COMPENSATE WHAT SHE CAN'T DO IN REAL-LIFE WHICH IS LEAVE HIM.THE LAST 3 LINES ARE REFERENCE TO ALL THE MOVING SHE HAD TO DO BECAUSE OF HER FATHERS JOBS,BUT ALSO REFERENCE TO HER "SPACINESS"

You're my candle bright
In the window
You guide me back again

SHE'S TELLING HIM THAT "YOUR MY EVERYTHING" AND "YOU MAKE EVERYTHING OK".WHEN SHE DRIFTS TO FAR OF INTO NONREALITY HE'S ALWAYS THERE TO GIVE HER A GOOD REASON TO COME BACK;HIM BEING THE LESS SPACEY,MORE GROUNDED ONE THAT HE IS...HE "SHINES" WHEN THEY ARE GETTING ALONG AND WHEN HE WANTS TO GET INTIMATE

WELL THEY WERE NEVER REALLY FRIENDS TILL RECENTLY BUT THEY WERE ALWAYS LOVERS,I'M SURE IT WAS BETTER WHEN THEY WERE GETTING ALONG BUT AGAIN THEY DIDN'T SEEM TO MIND THAT MUCH.STEVIE'S "SOMETHING OF A DREAMER" BECAUSE OF HOW SHE FLOATS OFF IN HER OWN MIND AND BECAUSE SHE "DREAMS" THAT HER AND HIM WILL GET ALONG BETTER,MAKE IT IN THE MUSIC BIZ------AND THAT THE RELATIONSHIP WOULD SOMEHOW WORK OUT

THIS WAS FUN TO INTERPRET-NICE PICK KRISTIN!!!:)

~alex~*

Hey ALEX!! I loved reading your interpretation....always do!! :) So, thanks :) I really like your thoughts on this one too. I think it is about her and Lindsey, if only because of the time period it was written in. It makes perfect sense. I especially liked your last paragraph, saying how Stevie and Lindsey's relationship was never really a "true friendship" until recently, because it was always shadowed by their careers and their physical relationship, and the complications that resulted...but that Stevie always "dreamed" it would get better....and it did :) I think a lot of Stevie's writing foresees the future, and I think this is defenitely one of those, because if this was written during the B/N era, then once again, she was foreseeing their break-up, and foreseeing the eventual friendship that would result. Maybe by putting this on TISL, she is sort of finishing the cycle again by saying, "Hey, look, I was right in my dreaming, we did make it and we are friends in the end", sort of like long-term closure....lol. Anyway, cool interpretation! Now I'm going to give it a whirl :)

**kristin**

BBALLGYPSY17
03-05-2001, 06:02 PM
Well I LOVE writing them:D And it kind of makes me :mad: that more people don't come and interpret because if fans don't have any thoughts about what they are listening to then....what's the point,you know :confused:I just don't understand that:rolleyes:
ANYWAYS I'm extatic you enjoyed my writing-------that just made my day;) And goodluck on yours,I'm sure it will be GREAT:)

~alex~*

kristin
03-05-2001, 07:08 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by kristin
[B]
~Nomad/Candlebright~

"For no special reason
I'm flying far above you
Still I love you
You make things right"
Okay, so to start off with, I want to say that I think that in this song, the person she is talking could be Lindsey, however, I think she wrote this more to herself than for anyone else. I think that this is basically an earlier version of Wild Heart....Stevie has a wandering spirit, with wild dreams and a wild heart. Her mind roams endlessly, and therefore she has trouble staying in one place because she is always searching to reach the next level, whatever that may be. However, bottom line is she needs love, and likes to know it's there when she needs it. Soooo......in this first few lines, I think she's saying to this person(perhaps Lindsey) that she feels she needs to go and do something, take care of things, for her own sake, and this may mean leaving them for awhile, but she needs to do it, without explanation. It's just something she needs to do; maybe sort of a reaffirmationof her personal freedom and independence..."I'm flying far above you" is sort of her "spirit in flight".....but no matter what she chooses, she will always love him, but don't make her explain herself because "where is the reason, don't blame it on me, blame it on my wild heart...".

"I've been with you before
I'll be with you again
Oh..Oh..Yeah.."
Here is where she's saying that no matter how independent or "flighty" she may be in her heart and her mind, she still needs love, and to know she has it. So, she'll always "come back for more".....I agree with what Alex said on this, that it isn't normal for a couple to break-up and still "go back for more"...and therefore there is a strange ending to their break-up. Not one that you would usually expect.

"Well, you know me
I'm a nomad
I can't feel bad
About the way I am
I've been rolling around
My whole life"

Here she is again explaining her restless nature...her wild heart, her spirit in flight, her basic attitude of fearlessness that she takes in life. And that's it, that's just the way she is, and no matter what, she is not going to feel bad for that and not going to feel she needs to really explain herself to anyone. She is always "rolling around" searching for new things, never settling on one thing, because that would narrow her options in life. It's her gypsy spirit....and maybe that's why her career fits her so well, because she's always able to grow, and learn, and move around, and there's always new things to inspire her....it's what she'd alwyas known,as Alex said, since she moved around as a little girl.

"You're my candle bright
In the window
You guide me back again
Here she is again, emphasizing the fact that no matter how restless and fearless she may be, there is always that need for love in her life....someone for her to go back to, that knows her and know's how to guide her home...maybe Lindsey was that person for her. This person seems like a very steady thing in her life, and that is why it is so important to her. Sometimes, maybe she needed someone or something to bring her wild heart down to the ground again and sort of bring her back to reality...back home. This could be Lindsey...when she says "I come when you shine", it refers to the whole candle reference, but this also makes me think of when they are on stage together and how she said that it always brings them back to when they were in love, and so maybe this line could be a reference to that, the magic between them that always brings them back...."I would be your only dream, you're shining autumn ocean crashing..."
However, if this was about Lindsey, then even if he was that person to her, there was also the other end of it which is that they were having trouble together, and he was feeling more like a lover and a musical partner than a friend....and she immediately goes back to her dreaming to escape from the reality of that. And in being a dreamer, she sees hope for the situation, and like she said sometime, I can't remember when, that she always tried to find like the light at the end of the tunnel in her songs, by ending with a positive note...and these last lines are just that...being a dreamer, she hopes that one day she can find a friend in their relationship.
And she did :)
Sorry for my long-windedness...but since I was the one who posted this song, I wanted to be as thorough as I could...hope you guys enjoyed, and hope MORE PEOPLE POST THEIR THOUGHTS!!!

**kristin**

rhiannon1119
03-06-2001, 03:44 PM
Kristin, great interpretation! I really enjoyed reading it! I can't wait to hear this song on the new cd to fully understand it. I can always relate to a song better once I hear it being sung....to hear how her voice sounds in certain parts of the song....will it be mellow or somewhat of a love song....you know what I mean?

BBALLGYPSY17
03-10-2001, 05:10 PM
It was better then mine;)If in doubt about how long... LENGTHY is ALWAYS the best way to go:D Once I start writing I can never stop:o

MICHELLE~your absolutely right about how vocal changes and tones effect the interpretation of a song:)

~alex~*

Jessica Leigh
03-28-2001, 04:57 AM

Well I LOVE writing them:D And it kind of makes me :mad: that more people don't come and interpret because if fans don't have any thoughts about what they are listening to then....what's the point,you know :confused:I just don't understand that:rolleyes:

well alex... that's nice... when i listen to stevie i fit the song into something in my life... and i don't come over here to tell you guys about it because i'm sure you don't want to hear about my personal relationships and what went wrong etc. some of us just don't do what you do with songs. stevies words can mean so much and i care much more about what's going on in my life than in hers so i take her words and put them to my life- and her words are so great that i can always do it- that's one of the things i love so so so f*cking much about her. she writes the story of the pain i'm going through but then in the end she writes the happy ending too- and it makes me better to know that resolution is out there. but seriously if you really really want me to... i'll tell you what nomad means to me

BBALLGYPSY17
03-30-2001, 07:02 AM
Jessica~
I understand what you mean,your right;--------it's just this board is always kind of empty,you know??? Anyways good point :o "that's nice" That's great sarcasm,with not one trace of irony:rolleyes:you say that in every post where you try to maul someone over with your point:p
I remember because last time you said the same thing when we were on Stevie's board talking about the lyrics to "Stand BAck"you said~ "well THAT'S NICE alex BUT everything was fine until she mentioned quick sand and well fair lines"
Of course (and this is a compliment) it might not be a "jessica leigh" post if you didn't have something to throw back in my face;) You know I'm JUST TEASING yes I know what you mean.....your absolutely right:D

~alex~*

Jessica Leigh
03-30-2001, 03:59 PM

Jessica~
I understand what you mean,your right;--------it's just this board is always kind of empty,you know??? Anyways good point :o "that's nice" That's great sarcasm,with not one trace of irony:rolleyes:you say that in every post where you try to maul someone over with your point:p
I remember because last time you said the same thing when we were on Stevie's board talking about the lyrics to "Stand BAck"you said~ "well THAT'S NICE alex BUT everything was fine until she mentioned quick sand and well fair lines"
Of course (and this is a compliment) it might not be a "jessica leigh" post if you didn't have something to throw back in my face;) You know I'm JUST TEASING yes I know what you mean.....your absolutely right:D

~alex~*

hehehe i'm just moody- sometimes i'm really nice :) besides... you really ask for it sometimes... i'm just the only one who replies how i want to- you should hear what sammi says about you

Skylark
04-02-2001, 09:15 PM
"For no special reason...Iam leaving you for awhile tonight!!!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That sounds to me like Stevie flying off to her secret place where
she is the greatest singer and performer! Her heart needs to soar!

"I've been with you before,I'll be with you again!!!
------------------------------------------------------------------

She knows he will wait for her for a while but she
must come back to him soon or he will leave her!

"Well, Iam a nomad, I can't feel bad!
------------------------------------------------

A nomadic ppl travel from place to place and
Stevie is warning him she must go everywhere
she can't take time to feel bad about him now !!!

"Your my candle bright in the window,you guide me back again!"
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

She will watch for the welcoming candle light in his window
It guides her back to him every time she goes, he waits !!!

{You might also say...The candle bright shining in his window means
I have not left you yet, you may come back once more to love me!}

This is a lovely, sad, tearful song sung magnificantly with much
desire & innocent yearnings of young love by Stevie and Lindsey!
Cheers for The Great Musicians We Admire and Love! Luv, ~Sky~

`