PDA

View Full Version : LA Times article on radio reaction to Tusk, November 1979

Les
05-08-2004, 10:15 PM
Los Angeles Times
Sunday, November 4, 1979

Popline: FM Puzzles Over ‘Tusk’
by Patrick Goldstein

“It sounds weird to me,” one radio programmer said. Another griped, “It’s just not what’s being played on the radio.” And one station chief confessed, “I don’t have any idea what the album is all about. There simply ain’t no rock here--it all sounds the same.”

You’d think these FM radio tastemakers were complaining about a bombastic new Clash album. But they’re talking about “Tusk,” Fleetwood Mac’s new double album that’s already headed for the pole position on the pop charts (this week’s Record World has it No. 3 with a bullet).

Culled from the FM Friday Morning Quarterback, an influential radio tip sheet, the above quotes point out the essentially conservative programming philosophy of today’s FM radio. Despite Fleetwood Mac’s astounding sales record, many radio execs appear perplexed by “Tusk’s” adventurous, thought often eccentric musical textures.

Brian St. James, music director at WRKI in Bridgeport, Conn., captured the mood of many programmers: “The material on ‘Tusk’ is obviously not in the direction that most album stations are going.”

Other radio chiefs were more blunt.

WLUP/Chicago music director Sky Daniels snapped, “What can you buy with a million dollars? You could take all your friends to Hawaii. Or you could make ‘Tusk.’” Red Beard of WZXR in Memphis added, “Why do we tolerate mediocrity based on prior commercial success?”

Despite the potshots, all these stations are bombarding their listeners with the entire album. Most local FM radio people are more open about “Tusk.” “It’s a good radio album,” said KRTH’s Bob Hamilton. “It just sounds different. We had a negative reaction on our call-outs at first, but I think the listeners are growing more accustomed to it now.”

Other L.A. programmers gave the record mixed reviews. “To be honest, I’m less than enthusiastic,” admitted KMET’s Sam Bellamy. “But I don’t always love what we play on the air. We’re still looking for more listener reaction and local sales feedback.”

Preparing to embark on a lengthy U.S. tour, Fleetwood Mac members stoutly defended their latest work. While admitting that many radio people viewed the “Tusk” single as “an assault on their intelligence,” Lindsey Buckingham added, “I think it’s great. It’s funny, it’s tribal, it’s got a lot of soul to it.”

Offering a more pragmatic defense, Mick Fleetwood said, “I can see why it’s hard to play the ‘Tusk’ single in the middle of a radio set.” As for “Tusk’s” steep price tag ($15.98 list), he countered, “That’s what records cost these days. No one’s forced to buy it. To me albums are like shoes--I buy good ones because I like them and because maybe they’ll last a little longer.”