PDA

View Full Version : What new CDs have you bought?

dissention
04-19-2004, 08:20 PM
I've gotten:

Blondie- The Curse of Blondie (it rocks, some of their best songs)

Prince- Musicology (I think it's ten times better than Purple Rain)

Cyndi Lauper- Shine: The Lost Album (I FINALLY found a copy of it in a local music shop and I can't stop listening to it; why they only released it in Japan is a mystery)

estranged4life
04-19-2004, 08:25 PM
Queensryche-"Tribe"
Guns'N Roses-"Greatest Hits"
Tesla-"Into The Now"
Anthrax-"We've Come For You All"

Plus I have a bunch of new bootlegs to go through...Including some rather interesting stuff.

WelshWitchPMD
04-19-2004, 08:42 PM
Robert Randolph and the Family Band: "Unclassified"

littlelies7
04-19-2004, 10:51 PM
Doobie Brothers' "Takin' It to the Streets" ("8th Avenue Shuffle" rocks!!)

Stevie's "The Wild Heart" ("Stand Back" is awesome!!)

darklinensuit
04-20-2004, 12:16 AM
Lately I've only bought old music.

- Jake

Merf
04-20-2004, 12:54 AM
evanescence- fallen
maroon 5- songs about jane
melissa etheridge- lucky
n.e.r.d.- fly or die
richard ashcroft- human condition

GardenStateGirlie
04-20-2004, 01:50 AM
evanescence- fallen
maroon 5- songs about jane
melissa etheridge- lucky
n.e.r.d.- fly or die
richard ashcroft- human condition

Please put the evanesence away, I repeat, put the evanesence away :nod:

Honestly, I can't think of the last CD that I purchased. It's been a while..that's for sure...due largely in part to the fact that I refused to walk into Best Buy. I still haven't purchased the reissues yet either :distress:

hayley
04-20-2004, 09:28 AM
diss, look out for the Cyndi DVD Sony's releasing in May... I think it's the At Last show from Town Hall (NYC).

The only CD I've bought in the last few weeks was Sondre Lerche's new one, Two Way Monologue. Other than that, I've been (for once) enjoying releases from work. Specifically Modest Mouse-Good News for People Who Love Bad News (one of my favorite bands of all time), Franz Ferdinand (out today! It's GREAT), and The Damnwells' Bastards of the Beat.

dissention
04-20-2004, 10:02 AM
diss, look out for the Cyndi DVD Sony's releasing in May... I think it's the At Last show from Town Hall (NYC).

:thumbsup: I am going to be so broke.

Thanks!

PS: Can you shed any light on why "Shine" was only released in Japan?

hayley
04-20-2004, 11:40 AM
I don't know the specifics, but I believe Cyndi released "Shine" independently, she'd been dropped by Sony prior to that. I'm not too familiar with her catalog- I think the last thing we had of hers was "Sisters of Avalon"- we re-signed her for "At Last." I'm not sure why the EP was released only in Japan, but it wasn't ours.

estranged4life
04-20-2004, 11:46 AM
I've gotten:

I like his idea to give away free copies of Musicology to fans who purchase tickets to his shows...That is a very fresh & original idea IMHO.

wondergirl9847
04-20-2004, 11:56 AM
Division Bell - Pink Floyd
Momentary Lapse of Reason - Pink Floyd
The Ranch - The Ranch with Keith Urban
every CD by Dolly Parton

Oh wait, that's a list of what CD's I WANT to buy. :( I hope I get lots of money for my birthday coming up. LOL

dissention
04-20-2004, 12:02 PM
I don't know the specifics, but I believe Cyndi released "Shine" independently, she'd been dropped by Sony prior to that. I'm not too familiar with her catalog- I think the last thing we had of hers was "Sisters of Avalon"- we re-signed her for "At Last." I'm not sure why the EP was released only in Japan, but it wasn't ours.

To my knowledge, she released the Shine EP on her own label after her old record label went went belly-up. Then she got signed to Epic and Sony is the one who released the full Shine album this month in Japan. At least that's what her official site says. I'll have to check the Japan CD that I have to see if Sony is mentioned anywhere.

estranged4life
04-20-2004, 12:03 PM
The Ranch - The Ranch with Keith Urban

Underated release...I am planning on ordering KU's 1991 Australia release very soon (And ordering the new expanded "With the Ranch" cd by KU)

dissention
04-20-2004, 12:05 PM
I like his idea to give away free copies of Musicology to fans who purchase tickets to his shows...That is a very fresh & original idea IMHO.

It's very cool. Check out his new interview in Entertainment Weekly where he talks about it; it's a great interview. :nod:

wondergirl9847
04-20-2004, 12:16 PM
Underated release...I am planning on ordering KU's 1991 Australia release very soon (And ordering the new expanded "With the Ranch" cd by KU)

Yeah, that expanded one (with the videos) is the one I want. I've heard clips online and My Last Name sounds like an AWESOME song!

estranged4life
04-20-2004, 12:23 PM
Yeah, that expanded one (with the videos) is the one I want. I've heard clips online and My Last Name sounds like an AWESOME song!

tracks on "The Ranch" cd are "Freedom's Finally Mine" (Sounds like a song that could be a Lindsey Buckingham track to my ears), "Desiree", "My Last Name" & "Ghost In The Guitar".

Villavic
04-20-2004, 12:23 PM
I don't buy CDs as in the past. I don't even listen radio! Just listen my old CDs collection. I'm starting to worry.

I just bought the 3 re-issues, I guess my first CDs in this year. Isn't that weird?????

hayley
04-20-2004, 01:32 PM
To my knowledge, she released the Shine EP on her own label after her old record label went went belly-up. Then she got signed to Epic and Sony is the one who released the full Shine album this month in Japan. At least that's what her official site says. I'll have to check the Japan CD that I have to see if Sony is mentioned anywhere.

I believe she released Shine on her own after Sony dropped her when they were housecleaning older artists around that period. She was originally signed to Epic in her heyday, and we have all of her catalog. AFAIK, the only non-Epic release Cyndi had was Shine.

If it WAS released by Sony in Japan, there's a reason for it- Japan's one of the easiest countries with copyright to be able to produce recordings that elsewhere they might not be able to due to the confusion of what rights belong to who, etc. Nowhere on the horizon for the next year or so do I see a re-release in the U.S. of Shine by Epic/Legacy/Sony.

dissention
04-20-2004, 02:11 PM
I believe she released Shine on her own after Sony dropped her when they were housecleaning older artists around that period. She was originally signed to Epic in her heyday, and we have all of her catalog. AFAIK, the only non-Epic release Cyndi had was Shine.

If it WAS released by Sony in Japan, there's a reason for it- Japan's one of the easiest countries with copyright to be able to produce recordings that elsewhere they might not be able to due to the confusion of what rights belong to who, etc. Nowhere on the horizon for the next year or so do I see a re-release in the U.S. of Shine by Epic/Legacy/Sony.

Yeah, Sony did release "Shine" in Japan. :) I think where we're getting confused is that the EP for "Shine" was released on AFAIK in the US in 2002, but it only contained five songs: Shine, the remix for Shine, and three other studio songs. The "Shine" that was released in Japan this month is the full album with all 13 songs, not the EP. The reason that the EP was released on AFAIK is because the real album for "Shine" (the one with all 13 songs that was just released in Japan) was supposed to be released by Edel in July of 2001, but Edel went bankrupt.

Lee
04-20-2004, 03:09 PM
I've just bought two new CDs recently, & I'd would highly recommend both of them; Maroon 5 - Songs about Jane & Aerosmith - Honkin' on Bobo.

Lee

xdreamsunwindx
04-20-2004, 07:04 PM
I haven't bought any "new" CDs, per se, lately. They're all older. I've been going to the Record Exchange a whole lot in the last few weeks... I'm weird about buying my CDs at places like Sam Goody or Barnes and Noble (they're rediculosly expensive), so I buy most of them used.

Anyways, the last CDs I purchased were...

Traveling Wilburys- Volume 1 (I thought I'd never find this CD. I saw it at a flea market about two weeks ago. Got it for $8 :D)
U2- Pop and Zooropa (I finally finished off my U2 collection last week)
Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers- Hard Promises (I needed the remastered version), Long After Dark and the Playback boxed set
FM- the Rumours and Tusk reissues
The Pretenders' self-titled album

Janet
04-20-2004, 09:55 PM
I just got the new Agnetha cd My Colouring Book -some really good stuff. I also just got the 'Almighty Mix' of her first single.

darklinensuit
04-21-2004, 01:09 AM
I misunderstood, thinking you meant NEW new CDs.
In the last week I bought The Mamas and The Papas: Greatest Hits and Peter, Paul, And Mary: Songs For The Campfire.
One word and I whack you with my cane, sonny boys.

- Jake

macmar71
04-21-2004, 09:06 PM
Patty Griffin~~Impossible Dream

Gypsy-Rhiannon
04-22-2004, 06:31 AM
I just got the new Agnetha cd My Colouring Book -some really good stuff. I also just got the 'Almighty Mix' of her first single.
I got this on Monday! Love it! :)

Pip

ryan8472
04-22-2004, 07:10 AM
The last CD I bought was Talking Heads' Speaking In Tounges. I plan to eventually buy all of their albums (I already have the Stop Making Sense DVD, so I don't need the CD as well). I still havn't gotten the FM remasters yet (don't hurt me!) but I did listen to them in FYE a while ago.

dontlookdown
04-22-2004, 11:44 AM
Grant-lee Phillips - Virginia Creeper
Sun Kil Moon
Innocence Mission
Diania Krall

dissention
04-23-2004, 08:17 AM
In the last week I bought The Mamas and The Papas: Greatest Hits and Peter, Paul, And Mary: Songs For The Campfire.

- Jake

You old fart. Are ya sure you're not one of my clients, sonny boy? :lol:

GardenStateGirlie
04-23-2004, 08:57 AM

- Jake

I looove The Mamas and The Papas but c'mon, Jake...Peter, Paul, And Mary?? :laugh: ;)

darklinensuit
04-23-2004, 09:55 AM
I looove The Mamas and The Papas but c'mon, Jake...Peter, Paul, And Mary?? :laugh: ;)

They're not in my Top Ten, but I like about 50% of their stuff, especially their versions of Leavin' on a Jet Plane, Blowin' in the Wind, Down by the Riverside, and Light One Candle.

Mama Cass is definitely one of my favorites, though.

- Jake

darklinensuit
04-23-2004, 09:56 AM
You old fart. Are ya sure you're not one of my clients, sonny boy? :lol:

You think I'm wasting my SS check on something that would make me vomit? ;) :laugh: :wavey:

- Jake

gldstwmn
04-23-2004, 11:16 AM
I've gotten:

Blondie- The Curse of Blondie (it rocks, some of their best songs)

Cyndi Lauper- Shine: The Lost Album (I FINALLY found a copy of it in a local music shop and I can't stop listening to it; why they only released it in Japan is a mystery)

Just bought Blondie last night and I'm likin' it except no lyrics in the liner notes. :mad: Also bought GnR's Greatest Hits. The disc itself looks like someone chopped a bunch of lines on it. :shocked: I was looking for Prince but couldn't find it so I'll have to check Virgin or Tower for it. I've also been craving me some Talking Heads lately so I'll probably be picking up something of theirs as well.

dissention
04-23-2004, 01:34 PM
Just bought Blondie last night and I'm likin' it except no lyrics in the liner notes. :mad: Also bought GnR's Greatest Hits. The disc itself looks like someone chopped a bunch of lines on it. :shocked: I was looking for Prince but couldn't find it so I'll have to check Virgin or Tower for it. I've also been craving me some Talking Heads lately so I'll probably be picking up something of theirs as well.

I kinda dig the liner notes. I love the shiny coating that's on them. And the pictures are damn good. :D Got a favorite yet? I adore Golden Rod; it's one of their best songs EVER. And the lyrics to Shakedown crack me up big time.

"Shakedown, baby, I don't wanna have to see...what you've got hidin' in your body cavity." :lol:

If I were you, I'd search the state until I found the new Prince. It's f'cking phenomenal. :nod:

estranged4life
04-23-2004, 02:26 PM
we purchased 2 new cd's last night, "Keith Urban In The Ranch" & "Cinderella In Concert".

Speaking of Prince, I received an email from a regular trader friend of mine from California who saw that first show on the current tour in L.A. who had an interesting encounter with a person who sat directly next to him. This person asked him "Are you a fan?" to which my trade friend thought to himself (As he said in the email) "Duh!" He struck up a conversation with this person who he tried to politely not stare at as he continued the conversation...This person was none other than Stevie Nicks!!! He even asked her what she thought of the remasters to which she replied "I didnt have much to do with those."

Man, I would have s--t if I noticed Stevie has sat directly next to me and started a nice conversation :laugh:

dissention
04-23-2004, 03:19 PM
we purchased 2 new cd's last night, "Keith Urban In The Ranch" & "Cinderella In Concert".

Speaking of Prince, I received an email from a regular trader friend of mine from California who saw that first show on the current tour in L.A. who had an interesting encounter with a person who sat directly next to him. This person asked him "Are you a fan?" to which my trade friend thought to himself (As he said in the email) "Duh!" He struck up a conversion with this person who he tried to politely not stare at as he continued the conversation...This person was none other than Stevie Nicks!!! He even asked her what she thought of the remasters to which she replied "I didnt have much to do with those."

Man, I would have s--t if I noticed Stevie has sat directly next to me and started a nice conversation :laugh:

:shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

Those are the times you wish that you had a pair of Depends in you back pocket, man. Not only am I shocked that he had Stevie sitting behind him, I'm shocked she sat in the audience. Wow, I'm so happy for this person and I don't know him. :lol: She's a class act.

Any other tidbits, Brian?!

Gypsy-Rhiannon
04-23-2004, 03:30 PM
Speaking of Prince, I received an email from a regular trader friend of mine from California who saw that first show on the current tour in L.A. who had an interesting encounter with a person who sat directly next to him. This person asked him "Are you a fan?" to which my trade friend thought to himself (As he said in the email) "Duh!" He struck up a conversion with this person who he tried to politely not stare at as he continued the conversation...This person was none other than Stevie Nicks!!! He even asked her what she thought of the remasters to which she replied "I didnt have much to do with those."

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

gldstwmn
04-23-2004, 04:26 PM
I kinda dig the liner notes. I love the shiny coating that's on them. And the pictures are damn good. :D Got a favorite yet? I adore Golden Rod; it's one of their best songs EVER. And the lyrics to Shakedown crack me up big time.

"Shakedown, baby, I don't wanna have to see...what you've got hidin' in your body cavity." :lol:

If I were you, I'd search the state until I found the new Prince. It's f'cking phenomenal. :nod:

I took me three listens to figure out she really was saying "body cavity." Of course I love the lyrics to Shakedown "giving me his high and mighty ****, now I'm a witch?..." That's why I was so bummed there were no lyrics. So far I love Good Boys but haven't heard enough to have other favs.
Don't worry, I'm going out to find His Purpleness's cd this afternoon.

estranged4life
04-23-2004, 08:25 PM
:shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

Those are the times you wish that you had a pair of Depends in you back pocket, man. Not only am I shocked that he had Stevie sitting behind him, I'm shocked she sat in the audience. Wow, I'm so happy for this person and I don't know him. :lol: She's a class act.

Any other tidbits, Brian?!

He said she had 2 other ladies that were with her which he believes it were Stevie's background singers. In a bit I will go use my other internet system and copy his response...He did say he tried to not stare but he just couldnt resist it :laugh:

Usually if someone says something about meeting a musician in that manner, you would think they were a liar, but I very much believe his every word...He has been a very honest person when it comes to trading music (Hell, he is even faster than I am...And I usually work at a break neck speed.)

WelshWitchPMD
04-24-2004, 09:16 AM
Speaking of Prince, I received an email from a regular trader friend of mine from California who saw that first show on the current tour in L.A. who had an interesting encounter with a person who sat directly next to him. This person asked him "Are you a fan?" to which my trade friend thought to himself (As he said in the email) "Duh!" He struck up a conversation with this person who he tried to politely not stare at as he continued the conversation...This person was none other than Stevie Nicks!!! He even asked her what she thought of the remasters to which she replied "I didnt have much to do with those."

:shocked: :shocked: WOW! Lucky guy!! I don't know how I would have reacted.

WelshWitchPMD
04-24-2004, 09:34 AM
I just bought a cd from a band that I went to see last night. They are called Tempest and the cd is called Balance.
They are a Celtic/Rock band.
I will be posting about my experience last night later today. :blob2:

estranged4life
04-24-2004, 08:00 PM
since BestBuy did not have the disc I was originally wanting today, I purchased "Payable On Death" by P.O.D.

markolas
04-25-2004, 08:43 AM
*Patsy Cline - Greatest Hits (I recently saw that musical "Always, Patsy Cline" and decided I had to have one of her CDs)

*John Hiatt - Greatest Hits

*Norah Jones - Come Away With Me (I'm slow...I just got around to getting her first one...people kept talking about her, and I'd only heard that one song, "Don't Know Why"...I thought it was some old song from the '70s...didn't know it was her...I wasn't too impressed by it, but now that I've listened to the whole album, I really like her...now, perhaps I'll get her new CD :laugh: )

The Chain
04-25-2004, 06:58 PM
[QUOTE=estranged4life]we purchased 2 new cd's last night, "Keith Urban In The Ranch" & "Cinderella In Concert".
[QUOTE]

I've been meaning to get Cinderella In Concert. I like some of there studio stuff, are they as good live, as they are in the studio? My favorite of there's is Nobody's Fool, and Don't What You Got .

wondergirl9847
04-25-2004, 08:26 PM
I would have DIED if Stevie was next to me and just casually started a convo!! LMAO!! That would have been hilarious if he went, "So, when ya changin' that black dress?"

:lol: Just kidding!!

misterbug
04-26-2004, 12:15 AM
n*e*r*d - fly or die
david bowie - aladdin sane remastered
francoise hardy - le danger
kylie minogue - body language
kill bill soundtrack vol 2
bob dylan - bootleg series vol 6

estranged4life
04-30-2004, 08:33 PM
to my ever expanding collection:

Living Colour-Vivid (An oldie but a goodie...Been wearin' the audio tape out for years)

Dream Theater-When Dream And Day Unite (The original released version on "One Way Records" distributed through MCA Records)

Yngwie J. Malmsteen-"Concerto Suite for Electric Guitar and Orchestra in E Flat minor Op.1"

littlelies7
04-30-2004, 08:40 PM
"A Few Small Repairs" by Shawn Colvin
"By the Way" by RHCP

estranged4life
05-01-2004, 10:04 AM
Keith Urban-Keith Urban (1991 Australian release...Even back in '91 KU had the talent that America now knows from his past 2 releases.)

Hey wondergirl, ya need to get this KU release :nod:

Ali
05-01-2004, 12:41 PM
I just got the latest Who compilation last night.

wondergirl9847
05-01-2004, 12:50 PM
Keith Urban-Keith Urban (1991 Australian release...Even back in '91 KU had the talent that America now knows from his past 2 releases.)

Hey wondergirl, ya need to get this KU release :nod:

It's most def on my list!! Thanks Brian!

The Chain
05-01-2004, 02:03 PM
I Just bought Whitesnake , thier self titled album from 1987. It has a song called Still Of The Night, that has a kind of Zeppelin feel to it, at the begining. There's also an awsome hard rocker called Children Of The Night. It's a real good CD

estranged4life
05-01-2004, 07:57 PM
I Just bought Whitesnake , thier self titled album from 1987. It has a song called Still Of The Night, that has a kind of Zeppelin feel to it, at the begining. There's also an awsome hard rocker called Children Of The Night. It's a real good CD

buying that album the day it was released way back in '87 and it still is a very strong album, thanks in part to John Sykes strong guitar work (I recommend their '84 release "Slide It In"...)

Btw, I'm listening/watching to the Who's "The Kids Are Alright" movie on IFC at this moment...

macmar71
05-02-2004, 06:46 PM
Platinum and Gold collection~~The Best of The Jeff Healey Band

laurarox
05-02-2004, 07:13 PM
John Mayer ~ Heavier Things
and
Coldplay ~ A Rush of Blood to the Head

DeadliestPoison
05-06-2004, 03:53 PM
I finally got "The Curse of Blondie" from Amazon today. I'm diggin' it so far. :)

macmar71
05-06-2004, 06:21 PM
Jann Arden~~Time For Mercy

estranged4life
05-09-2004, 12:20 AM
next week I received the following cd's:

"The Neon God:Part 1-The Rise"-WASP
"Music Of Mass Destruction"-Anthrax (DVD/Cd set...Love the packaging that holds both the cd & DVD inside the case.)

Plus I bought Debbie the following cd:

"Greatest Hits Collection, Volume 1"-Trace Adkins

GardenStateGirlie
05-09-2004, 02:33 AM
I really need the new Modest Mouse and I want to pick up Franz Ferdinand.