PDA

View Full Version : Hotel discriminates based on sexual orientation

Jason T.
04-17-2004, 11:20 AM
Straight Couples Turned Away From Key West Hotel

KEY WEST, Fla. (April 16) - Three heterosexual couples said they were turned away from a hotel in this gay-friendly tourist spot because of their sexual orientation.

The six were vacationing with a gay couple and had reservations at a hotel called Big Ruby's when the three straight couples were turned away.

"The manager literally said, 'We don't want you here,"' said Jim Pirih, who was vacationing with his partner and straight friends.

The group was already settled in their rooms Wednesday when the manager told the straight couples they would have to leave, citing a policy of not allowing heterosexuals on the property, Pirih said.

"He said he had to appeal to the majority, and the majority of guests wouldn't want straight people there," Pirih said.

The six were allowed to stay one night but had to check out Thursday morning, Pirih said.

Big Ruby's did not immediately return a phone message Friday.

Key West has a city ordinance that prohibits discrimination by sexual orientation in housing and lodging. Violators can face a civil citation and be fined up to $500.

Scott Fraser, executive director of the Gay & Lesbian Community Center of Key West, said any discrimination based on sexual orientation is wrong.

"Whether it's a couple turned away from a place of business because they're gay, or a straight couple refused admittance because it's a gay facility, socially and legally that's discrimination and equally as unacceptable," Fraser said Friday.

04/16/04 19:26 EDT

Now I would just like to point out a couple of things about this story that have me worried...

1) Why is it this story made it onto my AOL welcome screen when the thousands of hotel discrimination cases against homosexual couples haven't?

2) You know the world has gone straight to hell when the opressed start reversing the discrimination.

3) Prove your prejudice -- did you think this story was about the usual "gay people being turned away..." when you read the title? I did.

4) Finally, if the press starts picking up on gay people acting like jerks towards straight people -- Bush won't know which side to be on, should we confuse our president on which side is more hateful (Lord knows it's not that hard)?

Sorcerer386
04-17-2004, 03:22 PM
1. Most likely because it is an attention getter...it's like, oh my God, the gay people are discriminating against the straight, that's not supposed to happen! There could also be a hidden bias by Time Warner against gay people, showing how "evil" gays are, but I don't want to get all conspiracy-thoeried.

2. Not necessarily. There have always been instances where the oppressed go against the oppressors. Lauren Hill, I've been told anyway, was cited as saying that she didn't want white people listening to her music. Just one instance.

3. Of course I did.

4. You've managed to confuse ME! :lol: