PDA

View Full Version : Updated Ledge Issues...

ThePenguin
04-10-2004, 09:19 PM
Please post and comments or problems with the new format here. Thank you.

- Marty

Nixxxed
04-10-2004, 09:29 PM
The new format is awesome!

I have a really old computer, and the previous version really gave it a workout -- it was slow to load, it jumped from top to bottom several times before it would give me control, and the eBay shopping bar was constantly updating itself.

Good job! Although, now I'll spend even MORE time in this forum!

THANKS! :blob1:

wondergirl9847
04-10-2004, 09:43 PM
HOLY COW!! I love the new look!! It's so much to take in right now. I keep going, "OMG, look at that!!" every few seconds. LOL New smilies, new layout, just wow!

Nice job, Marty! :thumbsup:

greatdarkwing
04-11-2004, 12:35 AM
Marty, thank you for your hard work...I am really digging the new layout. Your hard work has paid off. I can never thank you enough. :)

~Alex

littlelies7
04-11-2004, 01:00 AM
I see or have nothing wrong with it.

Looks good!! :thumbsup:

Gypsy-Rhiannon
04-11-2004, 03:20 AM
Wow... was totally shocked by the new look ledge! No problems yet... it will take some getting used to but it looks good!

Pip

tuigirl
04-11-2004, 04:22 AM
Wow... was totally shocked by the new look ledge! No problems yet... it will take some getting used to but it looks good!

Pip

Yes..couldn't have said it better myself Pip. Ermmm....am I the only one struggling with the new colours ( the grey on blue for me is tough going... hmmm ..there again maybe it's a glasses thing!)
The new speed uploading is great and so are the bright smilies :nod:

WelshWitchPMD
04-11-2004, 10:23 AM
It looks good but it takes some getting used to it. It's all new to me.
I have not had any problems myself but someone did have a problem trying to private message me last night now that I think of it.

Keep up the good work!!

WelshWitchPMD
04-11-2004, 10:28 AM
I have a question? What is the difference between an Addicted Ledgie and a Registered User?

Gypsy-Rhiannon
04-11-2004, 10:31 AM
I have a question? What is the difference between an Addicted Ledgie and a Registered User?
I was going to say number of posts but that doesn't seem to be the case!

Pip

WelshWitchPMD
04-11-2004, 10:33 AM
I was going to say number of posts but that doesn't seem to be the case!

Pip

Now rhey appear to be back to normal, Ledgie, Addicted Ledgie.

ThePenguin
04-11-2004, 10:34 AM
It is back to normal now. I was experimenting with something different for the Supporting Ledgie option and that got changed. Sorry about that.

- Marty

Lala
04-11-2004, 01:34 PM
The new format is really nice!

One problem...I've had problems trying to log in. In the old format I was always logged in. So this morning I couldn't log in. I had my username and password e-mailed to me, and that seemed to fix it temporarily. I changed my password. I left and came back, and again couldn't log in. I had to have my username and password sent to me again. I certainly don't want to keep having to do that :D

Any help would be appreciated. The thing is when I can't log in I can't seem to contact you via e-mail, pm, or posts.

ThePenguin
04-11-2004, 02:36 PM
Lala--

What URL are you using to access the boards? You should use:

http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/

- Marty

Lala
04-11-2004, 02:43 PM
I think it's okay now. I logged in with the new URL without problems. Thanks Marty!

dreams
04-11-2004, 04:26 PM
Looks, loads and reads great!! I like.. Kudos Marty!! ;)

Enchanted58
04-11-2004, 08:51 PM
Obviously a ton of work has gone into this, and it shows! I love the new look - thanks, Marty!

Eileen

GardenStateGirlie
04-11-2004, 10:24 PM
Hey Marty! It looks awesome! It's going to take a bit of getting used to but thus far, the format seems to do as you said and allows for faster loading which I thank you for (dialup--one day I will have cable!)

DrummerDeanna
04-11-2004, 10:24 PM
Other than the little snafu with my avatar (which has now been taken care of, thank you Marty) I LOVE the format...very cool...it will take a little getting used to, but I'm also on an old computer and it's loading and operating SO much better...thanks!!

wondergirl9847
04-11-2004, 10:27 PM
Where you talk about the subscribers and what you can get...I think the banner yes and no are inverted. Right? Banner advertising for the subscriber is yes, while the regular Ledgie is no.

Or am I thinking that is something else? LOL

Gypsy-Rhiannon
04-12-2004, 02:40 AM
How come some people have both:

Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

.. under their user name?

Pip

ThePenguin
04-12-2004, 05:27 AM
Christy--

I think that it is worded correctly. For regular Ledgies, there are banner ads displayed on the Ledge entrance page at the top as well as at the top of each forum and in each thread. Supporting Ledgies do not see the banner ads.

Pip--

Please see this section for information about the Supporting Ledgies:

http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/subscriptions.php

Thanks!

- Marty

Bella Figura
04-12-2004, 09:02 AM
Hi Marty, is there another way to contribute besides Paypal? Unfortunately, I have been the victim of virus which disguises itself with Paypal. but I still would like to make a donation. Please let me know!!! Thanks...

ThePenguin
04-12-2004, 09:19 AM
Hi Marty, is there another way to contribute besides Paypal? Unfortunately, I have been the victim of virus which disguises itself with Paypal. but I still would like to make a donation. Please let me know!!! Thanks...

Bella Figura--

Paypal is integrated into the script for this board and has emerged as a widely accepted, easy method of making small contributions. I think it is now considered the de facto standard on Ebay even. I am not sure if I can make other options available easily on the site. Please send me an email at penguin@fleetwoodmac.net. Thank you for your interest.

- Marty

dissention
04-12-2004, 10:50 AM
Thanks for your hard work, Marty! :]

It loads very quickly, but it will take awhile to get used to!

wondergirl9847
04-12-2004, 01:37 PM
Christy--

I think that it is worded correctly. For regular Ledgies, there are banner ads displayed on the Ledge entrance page at the top as well as at the top of each forum and in each thread. Supporting Ledgies do not see the banner ads.

Obee-kaybie. I got it! I thought it was for those things in the sig line.

Nixxxed
04-12-2004, 05:29 PM
Sometimes when I log on now the forums fit horizontally within the viewing area of my screen, and sometimes they don't. (I'm using Internet Explorer 6.0something with an 800x600 setting on my monitor.) Before the update, the forums always "scrunched" themselves to fit my screen so I didn't have to scroll to the right to see the complete topic title, post dates, etc.

Do you think this is something I need to tweak on my PC, or is this happening to anyone else? :shrug:

I tried playing with the Text Size setting under the IE/View Menu, but that didn't work... (And I know from experience if I mess with monitor's viewable area setting, my machine freaks out.)

ThePenguin
04-12-2004, 07:04 PM
When I resize my screen, I am not seeing this effect Nixxxed. Is it happening with everything or only certain elements? Is anyone else seeing this too? I run my monitor at a much higher resolution than you (1280x1024).

- Marty

Nixxxed
04-12-2004, 10:12 PM
Hey Marty -

It seems to be on only the forum "front" pages where all the threads are listed and the eBay bar is located. The only forum that is completely viewable for me is the Chit Chat forum, where there is no eBay bar at all (Didn't that forum used to have one? I can't remember...).

When I first logged on after you'd completed your upgrade (Saturday?), I could see everything, and I think it was working OK for me yesterday as well. Does that rings any bells concerning additional tweaks you've done? I'll try to do the IE Update thing and see if that fixes it. If it does, I'll leave another message.

Regardless, I absolutely love everything you've upgraded! Thanks again!

Chuck

ThePenguin
04-12-2004, 10:16 PM
Chuck--

Several of the Ledges, including this one, do not have the eBay bar. The Chit Chat Ledge never had one. The quick reply box at the bottom of the page (in which I am typing right now) was not on when the boards were first turned back on. Please let me know if the IE update does work. Browsing at a higher resolution than 800x600 is not an option? What size monitor do you have?

- Marty

Nixxxed
04-13-2004, 12:35 PM
I have a 15" monitor -- like I said in the first post, I have a REALLY old computer, and the driver is so outdated that anything above 800x600 doesn't work on today's apps and web programming. I'm still trying to update IE -- stupid Microsoft ;).

I did a screen print and converted to it a .jpg, and it's attached. It looks like the eBay bar is scooting everything to the right now. Before the update, Christine's head would be upper left, and the eBay bar would be directly below her. Then, the thread tables would re-size to fit the screen.

But Marty, this is not really a big deal. I just posted in case this was a bug. Please don't waste time on this if you've got "real" functionality issues. I don't mind scrolling!

ThePenguin
04-14-2004, 03:26 PM
I have a 15" monitor -- like I said in the first post, I have a REALLY old computer, and the driver is so outdated that anything above 800x600 doesn't work on today's apps and web programming. I'm still trying to update IE -- stupid Microsoft ;).

I did a screen print and converted to it a .jpg, and it's attached. It looks like the eBay bar is scooting everything to the right now. Before the update, Christine's head would be upper left, and the eBay bar would be directly below her. Then, the thread tables would re-size to fit the screen.

But Marty, this is not really a big deal. I just posted in case this was a bug. Please don't waste time on this if you've got "real" functionality issues. I don't mind scrolling!

Nixxxed--

Unfortunately, I cannot really design the board layout to accomodate the extremely old computers but would rather design for the average or newer computers. I am likely going to experiment with setting up a field in the profile though which would give users the option to turn off the Ebay columns if they would rather not see them though. This option would be restricted, however, to the Supporting Ledgies. That way those that help us with the site can have the option to browse these forums without any advertising at all. I would make it an option though as perhaps some people enjoy being able to peruse the related auctions. This solution sounds like it would work very well for your issues too actually.

- Marty

Villavic
04-14-2004, 04:26 PM
I liked far mo0re than the older one.
Thanks for the upgrade

ThePenguin
04-14-2004, 07:39 PM
Nixxxed--

...users the option to turn off the Ebay columns if they would rather not see them though. This option would be restricted, however, to the Supporting Ledgies. That way those that help us with the site can have the option to browse these forums without any advertising at all.

Quoting myself here... The option described above has now been implemented. Supporting Ledgies can log into their User CP, Edit Options and then Miscellaneous Options. They will see this:

Ebay Ads: Select 'Yes' if you would like the Ebay ads to appear on the front page of the Ledge as well as on the Rumours, Lindsey Buckingham, and Stevie Nicks Ledges. Selecting 'No' will turn them off.

For those Supporting Ledgies that select 'No', there will not be any advertisements shown on The Ledge. I did make this an option though because perhaps there are individuals who like to peruse the Ebay auctions from here.

- Marty

Nixxxed
04-22-2004, 01:34 PM
Hey Marty --

The views are back to normal for me. I haven't been on The Ledge in a few days, but I haven't changed any of my settings, and there was no IE update for me. Just thought I'd a post a quick note to let you know.

Also - love the new profile pics - it's always nice to see who you're typing to!

Chuck

ThePenguin
04-22-2004, 07:40 PM
Hey Marty --

The views are back to normal for me. I haven't been on The Ledge in a few days, but I haven't changed any of my settings, and there was no IE update for me. Just thought I'd a post a quick note to let you know.

Also - love the new profile pics - it's always nice to see who you're typing to!

Chuck

I'm glad it is working for you; I've made minor layout changes to the boards. Hopefully some more people will consider becoming supporting Ledgies anyway. If enough people did, it could make a serious dent in costs of running this dedicated server. At just over 3 cents a day, I don't think it will break anyone's bank. Thanks again to those of you that have contributed; it is appreciated!!

- Marty