PDA

View Full Version : Streaming-Audio of Blue Horizon Remasters Highlights

Johnny Stew
03-19-2004, 12:02 AM
Mark ("McK") posted this over at Burnish.net (http://www.burnish.net).

If you click here (http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/shows/jones), you can listen to Paul Jones' BBC Radio 2 show, which this week features a conversation with Mike Vernon, and highlights from the upcoming Blue Horizon remasters.

According to Mark, at approximately 40 minutes in, is a never-before-heard Christine song.
I haven't gotten that far yet, but it sounds promising! :D

Thanks to Mark for the heads-up! :nod:

(The above link takes you to the Paul Jones mainpage... this link will take you directly to the streaming audio:
Listen. (http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/radio2_aod.shtml?paul_jones))

Johnny Stew
03-19-2004, 12:55 AM
I just finished listening to the Christine song, which I'm assuming is titled "Tell Me You Need Me."
It's VERY pretty, and VERY Christine... I like it quite a bit. :D
Mike Vernon said he assumes it was written by Christine, but he also noted the very Kirwan-esque qualities of the track (which longtime Mac fans will quickly pick up, IMO).

According to Vernon, the 'Christine Perfect' album has been remastered and is being released sometime this year.
From the way he was talking, I'm estimating that it'll be out around July or August.

I'm assuming they haven't consulted Christine in regards to the release, since Vernon was unsure of the origins of this rare track... and that's a pity.
Hopefully they will consult her prior to the actual release though.

:D

Johnny Stew
03-19-2004, 01:00 AM
:laugh: Well, I just realized the radio player pop-up window has a place where you can click to get a playlist of the show, and Christine's song is indeed titled "Tell Me You Need Me."

Here's the playlist:

18th March - Mike Vernon
Much of the music played this evening has not been previously released or else has been deleted. However, some of it will appear over the course of a year starting in May as part of The Blue Horizon Re-Masters, produced by Mike Vernon
May: Fleetwood Mac 5 x CDs will be released individually
June: Duster Bennett Set & Champion Jack Dupree
Chicken Shack
George Smith & Bacon Fat
Christine Perfect
and so on.

Title: ‘Pipeline Blues’
Artist: Johnny Shines
Album: Last Night’s Dream
Label: Blue HorizonCOL 475973-2

Title: ‘Feel So Bad’
Artist: Martha Velez (Duster Bennett / Eric Clapton / Jack Bruce)
Album: Angels of the Future/Past
Label: Sire / Warner Bros 9 25962-2

Title: ‘No Place Like Home’
Artist: Eddie Boyd
Album: 45 rpm acetate - unreleased
Label: White Label (MBS Recording Studios)

Title: ‘Hard To Resist’
Artist: Duster Bennett
Album: unreleased
Label: White Label

Title: ‘Juke Box Jump’
Artist: Champion Jack Dupree
Album: Champion Jack Dupree (unreleased)

Title: Tell Me You Need Me’
Artist: Christine Perfect (Top Topham)
Album: Unreleased

Title: ‘MinI Minor Mo’
Artist: Top Topham
Album: AscensionHeights
Label: ColumbiaCOL 475975-2

Title: ‘Tight Dress’
Artist: Bacon Fat (with Rod Piazza)
Album: Unreleased

Title: ‘Hideaway’
Artist: Chicken Shack
Album: The Blue Horizon Box Story 1965 – 1970 Vol 1 (out of print)
Label: Columbia 488992-2

chiliD
03-19-2004, 01:23 AM
I was going to chime in with "Tell Me You Need Me" IS a Danny Kirwan song, but I checked on my Vaudeville Years set and the title of Danny's previously unreleased song on that is "Tell Me From The Start". COULD be the same song?!?!? :shrug: Probably not, though.

Johnny Stew
03-19-2004, 01:26 AM
I should add that I'm listening to the broadcast again, and it actually sounds more like Christine's album will be out in August, rather than July.

Vernon didn't give an actual date on that one though, but the implication of his phrasing, was that her album will be out in August.

Johnny Stew
03-19-2004, 01:43 AM
On my second listen, I typed out the lyrics to Christine's song.
This was done as quickly as my fingers could type, but I'm pretty sure that I got the lyrics right.

"Tell Me You Need Me"

I don't care, I have you
I love you, and the things you do
Tell me you need me, oh, please do
Tell me you need me, do-di-do-do
Ohhh
Oh, yeah

Listen dear, I don't mind
If you feel you must act unkind
If you tell me you need me, oh, please do
Ohhh
Oh, yeah
Tell me, tell me
Tell me that you need me
Tell me, tell me
Tell me that you need me
Tell me, tell me
Tell me that you need me
Tell me, oh, tell me that you need me

Listen dear, I don't mind
If you feel you must act unkind
If you tell me you need me, oh, please do
Tell me you need me
Tell me that you need me
Tell me you need me
Tell me that you need me
Tell me, tell me
Tell me that you need me
Tell me, tell me
Tell me that you need me....

xdreamsunwindx
03-19-2004, 01:43 AM
Oooh... Cool! I now have even MORE music to purchase this summer... lol. The song is kind of cool, I think that it might take a while to grow on me, though. The vibe is very cool. Thanks for the info :D.

(BTW... I'm kinda diggin' the ‘Feel So Bad’ song... I might have to look into that sometime :).)

Johnny Stew
03-19-2004, 01:46 AM
Originally posted by xdreamsunwindx
(BTW... I'm kinda diggin' the ‘Feel So Bad’ song... I might have to look into that sometime :).) That was a really great tune, wasn't it?

I really dug it, too. :D

macfan 57
03-19-2004, 07:40 AM
Thanks, Johnny Stew!:) "Tell Me You Need Me" is on the Madison Blues box set. It's track 4 on disc 1. It's one of the four promotional songs from the Christine Perfect band. But, it sounds like the BBC track is a slightly different version than the Madison Blues version. I like this song ALOT. As Mike Vernon said, it's similar to "When You Say", only much better, in my opinion. I wonder if this is going to be a bonus track on the remastered Christine Perfect album. Maybe, there will be more bonus tracks. Even though I already have this album on CD, I'll definitely be getting the remastered CD, too.:)

Blue Horizon
03-20-2004, 08:48 AM
Many thanks for that Johnny Stew. Having just listerned to the show, I was really surprised when Mike Vernon mentioned the live recording he did with Champion Jack Dupree at the 'Gin Mill Club' (so the tapes did survive despite them being flawed with technical difficulties) and that four tracks from that recording are to be released after all these years. It will be good to hear the songs again as I was in the audence that night. The re-release of the Blue Horizon catalogue is most welcome and I intend to purchase a fair few of these cd's.
Great stuff!

Blue Horizon.

wetcamelfood
03-20-2004, 09:15 AM
Yeah, macfan57 is right about TMYNM a great (what sounds like BBC) recording of it was just released on the "Madison blues" 2CD/1 DVD box and that's a fave of mine from that so I'm looking forward to hearing this "outtake version from the CP sessions" (assuming that's what it is?) as like the Rhino stuff, I'm waiting it out, and it hurts. :)

The listing there for Chicken Shack's "Hideaway" though is most likely wrong, as they list that V/A BH box as it's source and on that BH box, "Hideaway" is not a "previously unreleaed track" (as claimed there), it's simply "San-Ho-Zay" from "40 Blue fingers...".

I'm sure that Martha Velez track is from the "Fiends and angels" album (which I'll definitely pick up when it gets reissued since it has CM on it). I'm glad to see they listed the personnel on that "Feels so bad" track though as I'm dying to find out the personnel on all of the tracks from F&A.

George Smith? Uh, do they mean GORDON Smith? Assuming they do, I'm going to get that one.

I'll probably get the separate FM ones but I want to check out the "bonus" material first to see what kind of a clean up job they do before buying since we now know via the FM CBHS box what the contents are in the vaults for Mac stuff (as far as BH goes anyways). :)

Whatever happens with the Chicken Shack ones, I just hope they find a way to get out all of the CP era Shack singles only tracks on the CD's, that's the one that concerms me the most out of this bunch.

I'm having the biggest hope for the Duster Bennett set though, that's going to be the key one for my collection in the hopes that the notes on that will clear up a bunch of discography questions that have surrounded the DB releases concerning FM personnel involvement to date.

Otis Spann's TBTSC BETTER have "Blues for hippies" (at least, if not TIR98.8F as well) and Eddie Boyd's 7936SR BETTER have "Sent for you yesterday" (at least) or it's not gonna be pretty! :) I guess I should've said the same here for the CS stuff too.

(crossing fingers and toes hard for all of these anyways) :)

John

BklynBlue
03-20-2004, 10:31 AM
Though they are planning to reissue the Gordon Smith, the George Smith referred to was a fabulous West coast harmonica player - another in the sadly long list of underrated, underrecorded players who should have achieved greater success.
He is best known today as a mentor to Rod Piazza, with whom he played in the band Bacon Fat. Piazza also plays in a "swinging" LA blues style -
For harp fans, another of his proteges was the late, great William Clarke - probably one of the finest techinical players ever -
For anyone curious about George Smith, one of the easiest discs to find and thankfully one of his best, is "A Tribute To Little Walter" - with a supporting band including Muddy Waters and Otis Spann, it is worth checking out

macfan 57
03-20-2004, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by wetcamelfood

I'm sure that Martha Velez track is from the "Fiends and angels" album (which I'll definitely pick up when it gets reissued since it has CM on it). I'm glad to see they listed the personnel on that "Feels so bad" track though as I'm dying to find out the personnel on all of the tracks from F&A.

Whatever happens with the Chicken Shack ones, I just hope they find a way to get out all of the CP era Shack singles only tracks on the CD's, that's the one that concerms me the most out of this bunch.
John

Mike Vernon did mention that the Chicken Shack singles never made it onto their albums. I took that to mean that those singles will be released this time. I'm thinking that maybe they'll be on that Blue Horizon box set. He also mentioned something about some live Chicken Shack recordings, although I'm not sure if he was referring to Christine era CS or after she left the band.

I have only 4 of the tracks from that Martha Velez album on a compilation CD. Just looking at the liner notes, it said that Christine played piano on that record. Someone else is listed as playing organ. So I assume any piano that's on that album is Christine. I'm definitely getting that CD, too.:)

Johnny Stew
03-20-2004, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by macfan 57
Thanks, Johnny Stew!:) "Tell Me You Need Me" is on the Madison Blues box set.Ahh, no wonder I didn't recognize it!

Much to my chagrin, I still don't own that 'Madison Blues' set.
I've been drooling over it for a while now though... I would just like to find it for a little less than $35 bucks!

Johnny Stew
03-20-2004, 03:12 PM
I'll probably get the separate FM ones but I want to check out the "bonus" material first to see what kind of a clean up job they do before buying since we now know via the FM CBHS box what the contents are in the vaults for Mac stuff (as far as BH goes anyways). :)If I understood correctly from this radio show, those Mac discs will feature the same contents as the 'Complete Blue Horizon Recordings' boxed-set. It sounds like they're just releasing the discs individually now, without any brand-new additional material.Originally posted by wetcamelfood
Whatever happens with the Chicken Shack ones, I just hope they find a way to get out all of the CP era Shack singles only tracks on the CD's, that's the one that concerms me the most out of this bunch.Originally posted by macfan 57
Mike Vernon did mention that the Chicken Shack singles never made it onto their albums. I took that to mean that those singles will be released this time. I'm thinking that maybe they'll be on that Blue Horizon box set.I believe it was the Chicken Shack non-LP singles Mike Vernon was referring to, when he said they had to use the actual 45s as their source material... an unfortunate last-resort which he said was "galling," but necessitated by the fact that the masters seem to have been discarded years ago.

macfan57, am I remembering his statement correctly, or was that in regards to another artist?

macfan 57
03-20-2004, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by Johnny Stew
If I understood correctly from this radio show, those Mac discs will feature the same contents as the 'Complete Blue Horizon Recordings' boxed-set. It sounds like they're just releasing the discs individually now, without any brand-new additional material.I believe it was the Chicken Shack non-LP singles Mike Vernon was referring to, when he said they had to use the actual 45s as their source material... an unfortunate last-resort which he said was "galling," but necessitated by the fact that the masters seem to have been discarded years ago.

macfan57, am I remembering his statement correctly, or was that in regards to another artist?

Yes, Johnny Stew you're right. He was definitely referring to the Chicken Shack non-LP singles. They're definitely going to be released somewhere in these re-issues. I will be adding these to my list of things to get. :)

wetcamelfood
03-20-2004, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by Johnny Stew
Much to my chagrin, I still don't own that 'Madison Blues' set.
I've been drooling over it for a while now though... I would just like to find it for a little less than $35 bucks!

In the thread that was here about MB a while back, someone said they "saw it going cheap on ebay" (though I haven't seen it there myself) so hopefully that'll work for you (don't know what their idea of "cheap" was/is though). :)

Shame about them not having the masters for the non LP CS tracks, I hope the vinyl they use is in better shape than the ones I have otherwise, I'll just stick with the vinyl versions I have and skip the CD's but however they release them, I'll be interested to see how they do it with the time constraints and all, hmm... :)

Originally posted by macfan 57
Mike Vernon did mention that the Chicken Shack singles never made it onto their albums. I took that to mean that those singles will be released this time. I'm thinking that maybe they'll be on that Blue Horizon box set. He also mentioned something about some live Chicken Shack recordings, although I'm not sure if he was referring to Christine era CS or after she left the band.

I have only 4 of the tracks from that Martha Velez album on a compilation CD. Just looking at the liner notes, it said that Christine played piano on that record. Someone else is listed as playing organ. So I assume any piano that's on that album is Christine. I'm definitely getting that CD, too.:)

This live deal sounds interesting, though I bet it's non CP era CS (as I know CS did release some live albums latrer on, though I'm not sure if they were while they were still with BH or not, I don't think so for some reason though) or the OA/FTV stuff we already have but here's hoping anyways. Funnily enough, I think they did release a live album which had a Shack lineup that included one of the bogus FM members. :)

Yeah, I've always assumed that Christine is playing the piano parts on the Velez album and that Mick Weaver (AKA "Wynder K. Frog") is playing the organ parts on the record but I know there are listings SOMEWHERE saying which songs everyone's on and what they do, it's just that the ones I've seen have conflicting info so hopefully the notes on that reissue will set the records straight once and for all. :)

John

Johnny Stew
03-21-2004, 01:01 AM
In the thread that was here about MB a while back, someone said they "saw it going cheap on ebay" (though I haven't seen it there myself) so hopefully that'll work for you (don't know what their idea of "cheap" was/is though). :)Thanks for the tip, John!

I've actually been checking ebay for a while now, and I do see the 'Madison Blues' set from time to time, but never for what I would consider "cheap"!
Well, at least not when the seller is from the US.
If I had Paypal, I wouldn't mind bidding on it from a seller in the UK, but otherwise it seems like it'd be too much of a hassle.

dansven
03-24-2004, 06:19 AM
I was also slow in getting the "Madison Blues" set, but when I finally got it, it was worth every dime!

The interview with Jeremy (seems like he's got a cold :) ) was very informative, and cleared up some things. I think he says that the two Jeremy-tracks that has appeared on various collections ("Look Down At My Woman" and "Who's Knocking") are the Levi Blues Set.

Also that Peter had a diary from his Mayall days where he'd written a PRAYER before meeting Jeremy. "Please let Jeremy be good..." Pretty heavy stuff!!!

Also, he tells his version of leaving the band and joining the Children Of God.

The CDs are divided in three "sections", Christine's studio outtakes, "Live/studio" and finally "Live in concert". (I don't think this is exactly what the parts are called, but I don't have the CDs here now.)

In the "Live/studio" part are stuff like "Down At The Crown", and I finally got to hear it without all the hiss and noise that I had on my bootleg version of it. Anyway, I don't understand how any of the songs on the "Studio/Live" part could be live. The sound quality is way better than on the "Live in Concert" part, and the tracks also have several guitar parts that could not have been played by Jeremy and Kirwan alone on in a live set. To me they all sound like studio recordings/demos...:confused:

Does anybody have an idea about this?

Daniel

macfan 57
03-24-2004, 07:07 AM
Originally posted by dansven
I was also slow in getting the "Madison Blues" set, but when I finally got it, it was worth every dime!

The interview with Jeremy (seems like he's got a cold :) ) was very informative, and cleared up some things. I think he says that the two Jeremy-tracks that has appeared on various collections ("Look Down At My Woman" and "Who's Knocking") are the Levi Blues Set.

Also that Peter had a diary from his Mayall days where he'd written a PRAYER before meeting Jeremy. "Please let Jeremy be good..." Pretty heavy stuff!!!

Also, he tells his version of leaving the band and joining the Children Of God.

The CDs are divided in three "sections", Christine's studio outtakes, "Live/studio" and finally "Live in concert". (I don't think this is exactly what the parts are called, but I don't have the CDs here now.)

In the "Live/studio" part are stuff like "Down At The Crown", and I finally got to hear it without all the hiss and noise that I had on my bootleg version of it. Anyway, I don't understand how any of the songs on the "Studio/Live" part could be live. The sound quality is way better than on the "Live in Concert" part, and the tracks also have several guitar parts that could not have been played by Jeremy and Kirwan alone on in a live set. To me they all sound like studio recordings/demos...:confused:

Does anybody have an idea about this?

Daniel

I also highly recommend the Madison Blues box set. By the way, the live in concert tracks are broken down into 2 sections. The liner notes seem to say that the live tracks on disc 2 were recorded months after the live tracks on disc 1. This record company sounds like a tiny label, but I think they did a great job. I wish they'd do the same with the Bob Welch/Fleetwood Mac years. As for the studio/live portion, I agree the sound quality of these tracks is better than the Live in Concert tracks. They do sound like studio outtakes to me also. However, last year someone here on this board speculated that these tracks could possibly be live BBC recordings. I'm not completely sure, but I thought it might have been John(wetcamelfood). :)

wetcamelfood
03-24-2004, 07:45 PM
Yeah, that was just my guess but who knows. :)

That label just put out a John Mayall 2 CD/1 DVD set which has 3 or 4 tracks John McVie plays on from the 1982 Bluesbreakers reunion tour they had done in the Summer of '82 (and they're different to the recordings that are on the One Way Records "The 1982 reunion concert" CD from 1994) so hopefully they'll see the market and seek out the recordings we want. :)

John

dansven
03-29-2004, 08:01 AM
I've just compared the Studio/live tracks of "Madison Blues" 2CD with some bootlegs that I have, and they are the same. The bootlegs says they are BBC recordings. Also, these songs are on the lists of BBC recordings in Lewry's book "Fleetwood Mac Complete Recording Sessions".

macfan 57
03-29-2004, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by dansven
I've just compared the Studio/live tracks of "Madison Blues" 2CD with some bootlegs that I have, and they are the same. The bootlegs says they are BBC recordings. Also, these songs are on the lists of BBC recordings in Lewry's book "Fleetwood Mac Complete Recording Sessions".

Thanks, dansven. Well, it looks like John was right afterall.:) It does make sense. It says studio/live tracks in the liner notes. Christine's 4 songs are labeled just studio tracks, so I thought there had to be some difference.

marc402
03-29-2004, 07:38 PM
i love more shicken shack stuff
I only got like one lp from them
and the perfect album bring it on mr vernon
i already have the blue horizon sesions so if the new masters are the same i won't buy the FM releases.
sounds like a promising summer ;)