PDA

View Full Version : What's the best ice cream near you?

darklinensuit
03-18-2004, 02:28 PM
In Houston & Austin I like to go to Amy's.
As far as store-bought goes, in Pennsylvania I like the brand Turkey Hill (or at least I did fifteen years ago), and down here I seem to be the only one who hates Blue Bell.

- Jake

Pisces Queen
03-18-2004, 02:40 PM
I prefer Braum's to Blue Bell, but I don't hate Blue bell.

darklinensuit
03-18-2004, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by Pisces Queen
I prefer Braum's to Blue Bell, but I don't hate Blue bell.

Never heard of Braum's.
Do you have Amy's up in Dallas?

- Jake

Pisces Queen
03-18-2004, 02:57 PM
I have never had Amy's. Dallas/Ft Worth doesn't have any. The only one I have seen was in Austin.

darklinensuit
03-18-2004, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by Pisces Queen
I have never had Amy's. Dallas/Ft Worth doesn't have any. The only one I have seen was in Austin.

I hope you got to try it.
We have one here as well, but I've only been to the Austin one.

- Jake

DrummerDeanna
03-18-2004, 03:16 PM
There's this local place called Scoopy's...well they actually just changed their name to Caliche's....it's actually frozen custard...but damned if it isn't the best frozen thing ever to be in a cup (or cone) It is amazing....I swear it must have opiates in it or something....I'm so addicted to the stuff...it was local but they're now expanding state-wide and also putting a couple in Arizona and California....mmm...now I want one lol....good stuff...

greatdarkwing
03-18-2004, 04:18 PM
We have this place down here called Cold Stones........mmmmmm....Cake Batter ice cream......(dies)

~Alex

Violet
03-18-2004, 04:24 PM
In Harrisburg there's a place called 3-B, and they have the BEST chocolate peanut butter...
For store bought, I like Publix brand in Florida. There's one called Homemade apple pie ice cream, and it's awesome...
Haven't really found a place in NJ yet, except Creanies. They're okay, but not as good as 3-B.

Carol

Livia
03-18-2004, 04:48 PM
In Houston & Austin I like to go to Amy's.

:nod: Mmmmm....Amy's chocolate pudding (drool).

GypsySorcerer
03-18-2004, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by greatdarkwing
We have this place down here called Cold Stones........mmmmmm....Cake Batter ice cream......(dies)

~Alex

ColdStone Creamery.............. Yum.

DrummerDeanna
03-18-2004, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by GypsySorcerer
ColdStone Creamery.............. Yum.

We have one of those here, they seem to be popping up everywhere!! I haven't been yet even though I've heard phenomenal things about..I'm a Scoopy's loyalist lol...

Alison
03-18-2004, 05:29 PM
We have a place called Tickleberrie's about 15 min away. They sell many different flavours. People from all over come there to get a treat. They have a fudge and chocolate place in there also.
Smells so good when you walk in.
All summer long there is a huge line to get a cone.
Alison

estranged4life
03-18-2004, 05:50 PM
Braum's (Hell, Only live 50 miles away from their home base of Tuttle, OK...Never try to be downwind of Braum's at nite though, Their dairies/manufacturing facilities stink like cows--t!!!) and SUGAR-FREE Blue Bell & SUGAR-FREE Blue Bunny.

Btw, my favorite flavor's are Butter Pecan & Cookie Dough.

Brian j.

darklinensuit
03-18-2004, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by Livia
:nod: Mmmmm....Amy's chocolate pudding (drool).

I like the white chocolate mousse with strawberries mixed in.:nod:

- Jake

wondergirl9847
03-18-2004, 07:01 PM
Braums is good stuff, and I've heard Marble Slab is good, but I've never been there.

Fave flavahs: Mint chocolate chip, chocolate almond

I love sundaes...with tons of whipped cream and nuts!! :D

darklinensuit
03-18-2004, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by wondergirl9847
Braums is good stuff, and I've heard Marble Slab is good, but I've never been there.

I love sundaes...with tons of whipped cream and nuts!! :D

I go to Marble Slab here. It's good, but Amy's is better.

Christy, it's a good thing we're not in the same city, sitting around together eating giant sundaes and listening to our Mac music every night. :)

- Jake

dissention
03-18-2004, 07:05 PM
Dairy Queen. :laugh:

Them Blizzards are to die for. :nod:

darklinensuit
03-18-2004, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by dissention
Dairy Queen. :laugh:

Them Blizzards are to die for. :nod:

I had a Blizzard for the first time last year. It was ehhh. Maybe the flavors? I like the Peanut Buster Parfait, but it's so damned small, you know? I'm a growing boy.

- Jake

dissention
03-18-2004, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by darklinensuit
I had a Blizzard for the first time last year. It was ehhh. Maybe the flavors? I like the Peanut Buster Parfait, but it's so damned small, you know? I'm a growing boy.

- Jake

I usually get just vanilla ice cream (NO chocolate) with cookie dough or Reese's. :D

wondergirl9847
03-18-2004, 08:02 PM
Christy, it's a good thing we're not in the same city, sitting around together eating giant sundaes and listening to our Mac music every night. :)

- Jake

Sounds like a winning combo to me!! And diss...I LOVE Dairy Queen...the food and the ice cream! :nod:

WelshWitchPMD
03-18-2004, 08:06 PM
Well, we have a chain here called Newport Creamery. They have been sold and have closed a lot of stores. :(

The best thing that I love there is called a chocolate cabinet. A cabinet is just a RI term for a shake.

We also have Friendly's which has also closed a few stores in RI but not as many as Newport Creamery. My fave there is a hot fudge sundae with forbidden chocolate ice cream. :D

I have yet to try anything from Cold Stone yet. :( They are based in Scottsdale and the last time I was in AZ (July) I said I would try it but I did not get a chance.

GardenStateGirlie
03-18-2004, 08:10 PM
You know, my absolute favorite ice cream is actually not ice cream but frozen yougurt. There are no longer TCBY's around here but whenever I go to Ocean City Maryland (there are 3 there...I've been to each..lol), I get myself some white chocolate mousse. It's amazing and I love it. Around here, local haunts are Dippy's and Don and Burts. Food TV Network's show The Best Of profiled a place down towards the shore last year. I can't remember the name of it but supposedly it's amazing homemade custard in some crazy flavors. I'm going to have to look it up and try it someday.

WelshWitchPMD
03-18-2004, 08:11 PM
We have this place down here called Cold Stones........mmmmmm....~Alex

ALEX, you will have to take me to one when I come down to FL! :D

We also have a few Ben & Jerry's. My favorite is Phish Food and Chocolate Fudge Brownie.

We are also getting a few new Baskin Robbins chains in with some Dunkin Donuts.

greatdarkwing
03-18-2004, 08:16 PM
Im gonna look to see if there are any in Palm Beach, Pattie

~Alex

GardenStateGirlie
03-18-2004, 08:18 PM

OMG...Christy...are you uber strange like me and will only eat the green kind? I DETEST white mint chocolate chip....it DOES NOT taste the same at all.

sara1998
03-18-2004, 08:28 PM
Ritters Frozen Custard.... OH God how I love that place. They have a so many weird and different flavors... weird **** you've never heard of..... But I'm never disappointed!

Maria

greatdarkwing
03-18-2004, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by WelshWitchPMD

You got lucky! There is one 10 minutes from your hotel! :D

~Alex

ShamHy89
03-18-2004, 08:29 PM
I get Breyer's and go to Friendly's here in MA. I'm fine and dandy with plain old chocolate.

Shamus:)

wondergirl9847
03-18-2004, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by GardenStateGirlie
OMG...Christy...are you uber strange like me and will only eat the green kind? I DETEST white mint chocolate chip....it DOES NOT taste the same at all.

I don't think I've had white mint chocolate chip. It's not good? Bummer. :(

When I was in London, we went to Haagen Daaz a few times and O..M...G....WHY can we not have those places here in the states?! It's like a restaurant and all they serve is ice cream, shakes and stuff. YUMALICIOUS!!!

greatdarkwing
03-18-2004, 08:40 PM

When I was in London, we went to Haagen Daaz a few times and O..M...G....WHY can we not have those places here in the states?! It's like a restaurant and all they serve is ice cream, shakes and stuff. YUMALICIOUS!!!

I have a Haagen Daaz 5 minutes from my house....

...And to answer your question ahead of time, NO I WILL NOT SHIP YOU ANY!:laugh: :laugh: LOL!

~Alex

greatdarkwing
03-18-2004, 08:43 PM

...And to answer your question ahead of time, NO I WILL NOT SHIP YOU ANY!:laugh: :laugh: LOL!

~Alex

Same goes for you, Pattie!

:eek:

~Alex

WelshWitchPMD
03-18-2004, 08:45 PM
Same goes for you, Pattie!

:eek:

~Alex

:p :p :p

greatdarkwing
03-18-2004, 08:52 PM
:p :p :p

Fine.....I'll ship you some via media mail

~Alex:laugh:

GardenStateGirlie
03-18-2004, 08:52 PM

Nope. Not big on the white kind.

I still remember when we were in France...I can't recall which town it was...it was outside of Paris though...we were hanging out and my friend Paul decided he wanted ice cream upon spotting a Haagen Daaz. He ordered some ice cream and was like, "wtf. this tastes like cheese." He thought he ordered vanilla but upon further inspection (including chunks of something inside the ice cream) we determined it very well could have been cheese.

Aside from that, I went to a wedding a few years ago and they were serving salmon as the main course. I am not a big fan of salmon so I was relieved when I saw waiters coming around with trays of sorbet that appeared to be raspberry and cherry. Well wouldn't you know, one of the sorbets was SALMON and GUESS WHO PICKED THAT ONE :distress:

greatdarkwing
03-18-2004, 08:55 PM
Well wouldn't you know, one of the sorbets was SALMON and GUESS WHO PICKED THAT ONE :distress:

:distress: :eek: :shocked: Yeah, that would have triggered my "throw up everything in my system" reflex...

~Alex

wondergirl9847
03-18-2004, 09:04 PM
I have a Haagen Daaz 5 minutes from my house....

~Alex

Come on, be a good Ledgie pal!! :laugh:

greatdarkwing
03-18-2004, 10:02 PM
Come on, be a good Ledgie pal!! :laugh:

You're right....I'll buy her the store instead of going to my concerts:laugh: :laugh: Is that more like a Ledgie pal? Cause it hurts my pockets!:laugh: LOL!

~Alex

DeadliestPoison
03-18-2004, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by sara1998
Ritters Frozen Custard.... OH God how I love that place.

WOOT WOOT for Ritter's. I love their cookie dough. MmmMMMm. Soooososososo good.

darklinensuit
03-19-2004, 01:17 AM
Sounds like a winning combo to me!! And diss...I LOVE Dairy Queen...the food and the ice cream! :nod:

Yeah, but they'd have to carry our flabby frames from the couch to get us to see each Mac tour.:(

- Jake

darklinensuit
03-19-2004, 01:19 AM
Well, we have a chain here called Newport Creamery. They have been sold and have closed a lot of stores. :(

The best thing that I love there is called a chocolate cabinet. A cabinet is just a RI term for a shake.

We also have Friendly's which has also closed a few stores in RI but not as many as Newport Creamery. My fave there is a hot fudge sundae with forbidden chocolate ice cream. :D

They have Friendly's near Philly. Thumbs up on that place.

- Jake

darklinensuit
03-19-2004, 01:20 AM
You know, my absolute favorite ice cream is actually not ice cream but frozen yougurt. There are no longer TCBY's around here but whenever I go to Ocean City Maryland (there are 3 there...I've been to each..lol), I get myself some white chocolate mousse. It's amazing and I love it. Around here, local haunts are Dippy's and Don and Burts. Food TV Network's show The Best Of profiled a place down towards the shore last year. I can't remember the name of it but supposedly it's amazing homemade custard in some crazy flavors. I'm going to have to look it up and try it someday.

Don't forget Dipstix Frozen Custard.;)

- Jake

darklinensuit
03-19-2004, 01:23 AM

We also have a few Ben & Jerry's. My favorite is Phish Food and Chocolate Fudge Brownie.

Phish Food is good, but I never had it until a couple years ago. And now I'm craving Chunky Monkey. When I lived in Chicago I used to eat a Chunky Monkey and a (Haagen-daz) Caramel Cone Explosion every day. Now my metabolism knows where I live.

- Jake

darklinensuit
03-19-2004, 01:25 AM

I think all those flavors taste like toothpaste. Might as well have dental floss and cotton balls as toppings.:distress: :wavey:

- Jake

darklinensuit
03-19-2004, 01:26 AM
Originally posted by sara1998
Ritters Frozen Custard.... OH God how I love that place. They have a so many weird and different flavors... weird **** you've never heard of..... But I'm never disappointed!

Maria

Now I'm curious. What other flavors?

- Jake

darklinensuit
03-19-2004, 01:29 AM
Originally posted by ShamHy89
I get Breyer's and go to Friendly's here in MA. I'm fine and dandy with plain old chocolate.

Shamus:)

My mom LOVES Breyers. I don't. It's the box. Ice cream tastes better from a tub, not a box, the same way a sandwich tastes different depending on if it's cut in triangles or rectangles.
Deep down y'all know I'm right.:wavey:

- Jake

darklinensuit
03-19-2004, 01:33 AM
Nope. Not big on the white kind.

I still remember when we were in France...I can't recall which town it was...it was outside of Paris though...we were hanging out and my friend Paul decided he wanted ice cream upon spotting a Haagen Daaz. He ordered some ice cream and was like, "wtf. this tastes like cheese." He thought he ordered vanilla but upon further inspection (including chunks of something inside the ice cream) we determined it very well could have been cheese.

Aside from that, I went to a wedding a few years ago and they were serving salmon as the main course. I am not a big fan of salmon so I was relieved when I saw waiters coming around with trays of sorbet that appeared to be raspberry and cherry. Well wouldn't you know, one of the sorbets was SALMON and GUESS WHO PICKED THAT ONE :distress:

:laugh: Care for some anchovy jello, ma'am?

- Jake

GardenStateGirlie
03-19-2004, 01:37 AM
Don't forget Dipstix Frozen Custard.;)

- Jake

I seriously don't know Dipstix. I really don't :distress:

GardenStateGirlie
03-19-2004, 01:39 AM
I think all those flavors taste like toothpaste. Might as well have dental floss and cotton balls as toppings.:distress: :wavey:

- Jake

Hey, nothing wrong with clean teeth :nod:

darklinensuit
03-19-2004, 01:39 AM
I seriously don't know Dipstix. I really don't :distress:

Just how many tolls is it from the turnpike exit you said your house is at to the Atlantic City boardwalk?

- Jake

GardenStateGirlie
03-19-2004, 01:41 AM
:laugh: Care for some anchovy jello, ma'am?

- Jake

The cheesecream in France, we totally threw out after everyone tasted to determine it really was cheese (it could have been some kind of nasty white chocolate but it tasted like cheese).It was gross. Same thing with the salmon stuff. Seriously. I was so hungry and it was so hot outside, I ended up eating it :distress:

darklinensuit
03-19-2004, 01:43 AM
The cheesecream in France, we totally threw out after everyone tasted to determine it really was cheese (it could have been some kind of nasty white chocolate but it tasted like cheese).It was gross. Same thing with the salmon stuff. Seriously. I was so hungry and it was so hot outside, I ended up eating it :distress:

Are you a Monty Python fan?
"But I didn't have the salmon mousse.":laugh:

- Jake

GardenStateGirlie
03-19-2004, 01:47 AM
Are you a Monty Python fan?
"But I didn't have the salmon mousse.":laugh:

- Jake

LOL! I hadn't thought of that but yes...Monty Python is a good time....unfortunately, like I said, I ate the salmon :distress:

darklinensuit
03-19-2004, 01:51 AM
LOL! I hadn't thought of that but yes...Monty Python is a good time....unfortunately, like I said, I ate the salmon :distress:

"Well, that puts a damper on the evening.":laugh:

- Jake

xdreamsunwindx
03-19-2004, 01:56 AM
We have this place called The Cranberry Creamery... And may I just say, Oh my GOD. Their ice cream? To die for. They have THE greatest peach ice cream, and their cookie dough is awesome. I live like 45 minutes away from it now, though :distress:

laurie816
03-19-2004, 07:03 AM
I guess the best place near me would be Ashley's Ice Cream Parlor's....(I think that's what it's formally called)...

You can order hard or soft;)

Waffle or sugar cone or cup if you prefer

Ice Cream or Frozen Yogurt (in various funky flavors)

Toppings by the buckets!!!

My favorite is Chocolate Peanut Butter (It's like having a Reese's PB Cup in a cone) or their Chocolate Mousse Frozen Yogurt w/ chocolate sprinkles (or jimmys or shots depending on where you are from :) )

darklinensuit
03-19-2004, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by xdreamsunwindx
We have this place called The Cranberry Creamery... And may I just say, Oh my GOD. Their ice cream? To die for. They have THE greatest peach ice cream, and their cookie dough is awesome. I live like 45 minutes away from it now, though :distress:

My friends near Philly live near a place with a similar name. They love it. Cows graze right outside, the same cows the ice cream is made from. I can't stand it because you can smell the cows even inside, and the line is long. Give me lots of preservatives and no cow smells and I'll be happy.:)

- Jake

darklinensuit
03-19-2004, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by laurie816
I guess the best place near me would be Ashley's Ice Cream Parlor's....(I think that's what it's formally called)...

You can order hard or soft;)

Waffle or sugar cone or cup if you prefer

Ice Cream or Frozen Yogurt (in various funky flavors)

Toppings by the buckets!!!

My favorite is Chocolate Peanut Butter (It's like having a Reese's PB Cup in a cone) or their Chocolate Mousse Frozen Yogurt w/ chocolate sprinkles (or jimmys or shots depending on where you are from :) )

Why am I reading this thread in the early morning? Now I'm craving junk.

- Jake

Siri Ruane
03-19-2004, 01:46 PM
I like the kind where you go outside and shovel a buncha snow into a bucket, add sugar, milk, and purple food coloring and [Emeril]Bam![/Lagassi]

darklinensuit
03-19-2004, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by Siri Ruane
I like the kind where you go outside and shovel a buncha snow into a bucket, add sugar, milk, and purple food coloring and [Emeril]Bam![/Lagassi]

Never had that, but if I were to try that here I'd be shoveling up mud.

- Jake