PDA

View Full Version : VCR Hookup Help!

WelshWitchPMD
03-14-2004, 11:36 AM
I am trying to hook up either of my VCRs and they both play a tape fine but I can't get either one to record. The directions are of no use to me. Is there anyone out there that has any advice? I need to get it to work for tonight. ;)

estranged4life
03-14-2004, 11:51 AM
have the input line going into the VCR??? (Be it from the a cable line, cable box or via RCA cables with newer Televisions.) From the description on your post that may be the problem you are having.

Brian j.

estranged4life
03-14-2004, 11:58 AM
to a basic diagram that shows how to hook up your VCR:

http://www.atvc.net/diagram_vcr.html

If you follow the very basic directions on the diagram you're VCR should be able to record. (If you do not have a receiver/cable-box/etc. just connect the line to the input of your VCR)

Brian j.

WelshWitchPMD
03-14-2004, 12:11 PM
Thanks for the link Brian. I printed it out. I am going to see if I hooked it up like this. I still have a yellow cable and a red and white cable that i am not sure I hooked up correctly.

WelshWitchPMD
03-14-2004, 12:25 PM
No luck :( Even the REC on the top corner does not come on the corner of the TV screen when I try to record.

WelshWitchPMD
03-14-2004, 12:28 PM
I have 2 yellow holes( for video) for an IN and OUT on the back of the VCR I only have one yellow hole ( can't see if its an IN or OUT) on the back of the TV. I don't know if this is the problem.

estranged4life
03-14-2004, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by WelshWitchPMD
I have 2 yellow holes (for video) for an IN and OUT on the back of the VCR I only have one yellow hole (can't see if its an IN or OUT) on the back of the TV. I don't know if this is the problem.

If the yellow hole is an input on the back of the TV, you run the cable from the yellow hole OUT of your VCR to the IN of the TV.

WelshWitchPMD
03-14-2004, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by estranged4life
If the yellow hole is an input on the back of the TV, you run the cable from the yellow hole OUT of your VCR to the IN of the TV.

No, I tried that. Still does not record. :( I am ready to give up. I don't why I pulled everything out. I should have just left it alone.

estranged4life
03-14-2004, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by WelshWitchPMD
No, I tried that. Still does not record. :( I am ready to give up. I don't why I pulled everything out. I should have just left it alone.

Pattie, Do you use a remote for your VCR?

Brian j.

WelshWitchPMD
03-14-2004, 01:48 PM
I DID IT!! I DID IT!!! YEA!!

Thank you for all of your help Brian. I think that I had those stupid RCA cables connected when I did not need them. I took them out and I set the date and the CATV switch on screen and then I set the VCR channel to 3 and Voila! it worked!

I just need to go buy some VHS tapes now. Any advice for a really good brand?

Johnny Stew
03-14-2004, 03:21 PM
Glad to hear you have it working, Pattie. :)

I've had the best luck with Maxell and TDK, but you really can't go wrong with any brand of blank video-cassette, as long as you get the "premium quality."

Also, record your program in SP mode for peak sound & video quality.
You get less recording length out of the video-cassette (just slightly over 2 hours, as compared to 6 hours on SLP), but you get the best overall quality.

Happy recording! :D

WelshWitchPMD
03-14-2004, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by Johnny Stew
Glad to hear you have it working, Pattie. :)

I've had the best luck with Maxell and TDK, but you really can't go wrong with any brand of blank video-cassette, as long as you get the "premium quality."

Also, record your program in SP mode for peak sound & video quality.
You get less recording length out of the video-cassette (just slightly over 2 hours, as compared to 6 hours on SLP), but you get the best overall quality.

Happy recording! :D

Great Johnny Stew, I just got some Sony Premium tapes on sale at Walgreens for .99 cents can't go wrong with that. :)
So SP mode it is. I don't have anything worthwhile on TV to tape anyway. Thanks again! :)

estranged4life
03-14-2004, 05:36 PM
to use, so ยข.99 isnt a bad price :laugh:

Glad you were able to get the VCR to work/record. I know how tough it can be to hook up electronics (I had <b>So Much Fun</b> hooking up my new stereo & burner this past Wednesday when they arrived...)

Brian j.

WelshWitchPMD
03-14-2004, 06:21 PM
Great, now I have green scrolling lines up and down the TV, It's the stupid cable TV.:mad: I guess I won't be able to make a good VHS tape copy after all unless they go away be 9PM which I doubt.

WelshWitchPMD
03-14-2004, 08:02 PM
I got rid of the lines. Loose wire. :) Just one more hour to go!!

estranged4life
03-14-2004, 08:12 PM
I will be watching the Sopranos since I don't have VH-1 as of yet (That could change later this week though).

Can't wait to read the reviews...

Brian j.