PDA

View Full Version : Live at the BBC "Jumping at Shadows" (thanks BklynBlue!)

sharksfan2000
02-14-2004, 04:19 PM
On BklynBlue's recommendation, I purchased a domestic copy of Live at the BBC, and just as he said, the skip in "Jumping at Shadows" is gone! Well worth the price of another copy of this set (I already have the original import version), especially when I got a good price through the BMG club. The skip is there on every other recording I've heard of the BBC session "Jumping at Shadows". It does sound to me like the skip has been digitally edited somehow to make it "disappear". A slight discontinuity is still audible, particularly in the bass and rhythm backing, but the overall flow of the song is much improved now. I'm assuming that whatever master recording is available for this track has the skip and this digital editing was the best fix. Does that seem correct to other people here?

I love this version of "Jumping at Shadows". I think most of the BBC session recordings are fairly similar in style and feel to the studio and/or live versions of the songs (if more raw and sometimes arguably better). This one has such a different feel to Mac's live "Jumping at Shadows" - much more "laid-back" but still gorgeous guitar work.

While I'm on the subject of the Live at the BBC set - why, oh why didn't Jeremy record more stuff like "Preachin'"? I think that's a great track and so much better than his endless recycling of Elmore James.

dansven
02-16-2004, 05:28 AM
Yeah I believe the master has that jump on it.
I bought the DVD-audio of Live At The BBC, and to my delight the skip was fixed there too. You have no idea how it had IRRITATED me - it's such a beautiful track.

I agree with you that Jeremy should have recorded more songs like Preachin', but it seems that he just had Elmore on his mind:)
I also love I Have To Laugh from Showbiz Blues, it should have been on a studio album!!

By the way, I put on the officially unreleased BBC track Intergalactic Musicians Walking On Velvet (aka Delta Head) yesterday, and I was just laughing my head off.:laugh:
It was just sooo cool, Jeremy and Peter doing all kinds of weird noises - lion growls, "drrrrr" and so on... guess they were having a bit of fun with all the psychedelic bands at the time.

"We're coming into your mind, Mr Jones...":eek: