PDA

View Full Version : Spinoff: Most Overrated Movies in History

GypsySorcerer
02-08-2004, 12:26 PM
The English Patient

Shakespeare in Love (I know, everyone loves it)

Titanic (I do think it is an excellent film, but it was crammed way too far down my throat)

My Fair Lady (I can't stand Rex Harrison in this)

Lala
02-08-2004, 12:53 PM
Grease

It's a great movie...but wasn't it named like the best movie musical of all time or something??? It was up there at least...and I've definitely seen better.

Lala
02-08-2004, 12:54 PM
Oh and The Lion King

Great Disney movie...but people just seemed to go nuts over it. Making a cheesy sequel and this new Lion King 1 and 1/2 just ruin it. I much prefer The Little Mermaid, The Rescuers, Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty and others.

dissention
02-08-2004, 01:27 PM
Titanic (laughably bad)
Cold Mountain (ugh)
Casablanca (sorry, I've seen much better)
The Outsiders (I despise this flick AND the book)
The Lion King (thought it was rather dull)

wondergirl9847
02-08-2004, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by GypsySorcerer
The English Patient

LOL!! Makes me think of Elaine and her absolute HATRED of it!!

I hate Grease, because John Travolta is bleck, but in all it's glorious cheesiness, I love Grease 2. I like Michelle and when he was hot...Maxwell Caulfield!! ;)

Don't Say a Word with Michael Douglas with Brittney Murphy...I was excited about seeing this, but WHAT A PIECE OF CRAP!! :mad:

darklinensuit
02-08-2004, 01:52 PM
Get your eggs and tomatoes ready to hit me. My top choices:

It's a Wonderful Life

Wizard of Oz

- Jake (ducking):wavey:

wondergirl9847
02-08-2004, 02:04 PM
I agree with It's a Wonderful Life....I've seen it once and never again...zzzzzz...

My fave Christmas movie is A Christmas Story, which has me laughing, even tho I can friggin QUOTE the movie. LOL

Wizard of Oz...I can't agree with...I still love it, and it's another movie I can quote.

Janet
02-08-2004, 03:16 PM
Casablanca. This never tourched my soul like GWTW did..trully the best movie ever made.

Titanic. So impressive I have seen it...zero times. NO interest!!!

I don't know...so many movies get touted as so great and later I see them and I'm like...huh? I like movies that are small and simple..lovely and intellegent and I guess it doesn't matter if it doesn't get one award or doesn't get the 200 million mark..I just want something to touch me. So many movies that are so HUGE just don't anymore!

GypsySorcerer
02-08-2004, 03:44 PM
I love It's a Wonderful Life. When Harry toasts, "To my brother...the richest man in town," the tears begin. IAWL is the only movie guaranteed to make me cry every single time I watch it.

wondergirl9847
02-08-2004, 03:46 PM
I've never seen Casablanca or GWTW...don't have any interest in those.

I'm a freak, as my favorite movie is a cartoon, Toy Story. LOL

I've never really been touched by a movie like I am with music. I DID, however cry when I saw Deep Impact when the astronauts were telling their loved one's goodbye. I lost it, seriously, in the theater. LOL I've never cried so hard at a movie in my LIFE!! I saw that one before Armaggedon, but they are the same premise.

I like comedies mostly and then action/adventure flicks. I like those overblown "guy" movies like Con Air and Die Hard. :nod:

Merf
02-08-2004, 04:37 PM
Titanic is one of the worst movies ever.

That is all.

DeeGeMe
02-08-2004, 04:40 PM
The English Patient--I wanted them to hurry up and all die--and put me out of my misery.

Dirty Dancing---the less said, the better about this one.

Ghost--See a trend here with Patrick Swazye movies?

The Wizard of Oz--those flying monkeys traumatized me as a child.

Lala
02-08-2004, 06:26 PM
You're all going to hate me but...

The Lord of the Rings

Now...I haven't seen the third instalment but I watched the first two, one after the other. I kept falling asleep and when I woke up they seemed to have the same problem.

Ali
02-08-2004, 07:39 PM
I agree with LOTR. Total snorefest, at least for me.

And a lot of the recent Best Picture Oscar winners just bored me to death. (Titanic, English Patient, Gladiator, Chicago).

DrummerDeanna
02-08-2004, 07:54 PM
I agree with Grease, I like the film but it's not like the best thing ever, it's actually quiet cheesy!

Finding Nemo (it was cute, but come on...it wasn't the best thing I've ever seen...as everyone kept telling me it would be)

The Matrix...all of them

Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory

estranged4life
02-08-2004, 07:58 PM
Titanic (Gets the dreaded <b>"B.F.D.</b> rating from me!)

Return Of The Jedi (And any Star Wars movie made afterwards)

The Shawshank Redemption (Yawn-fest!!!)

Jaws, Jaws II, Jaws 3, Jaws 5628...

Rocky 2, 3, 4 & 5 (Sly Stallone has a 2 word vocabulary in ALL his movies "Yo Adrian"...)

The Christmas Story (Someone give the kid a .45 and tell him to PLEASE put his eye out...Along with the rest of his face.)

ANYTHING animated done after 1960 by Disney (aka Diss-knee)

darklinensuit
02-08-2004, 08:39 PM
Add these to my list:

Jerry Maguire (Yawn)

The Ring (The TV Crawler)

Ghostbusters (SUCKED)

Sleepless in Seattle (Sleepful in Houston)

Pretty in Pink (I hate Ducky; and Hey, Andrew McCarthy, blink)

Network (Sorry, I wanted to like it)

Down and Out in Beverly Hills (Nick gets an early dress rehearsal for his mug shot)

Beverly Hills Cop (I was too annoyed by the music to laugh)

- Jake

sparky
02-09-2004, 04:18 AM
Oh, this is easy.

Star Wars and all of it's sequels.

dissention
02-09-2004, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by darklinensuit
Network (Sorry, I wanted to like it)

Down and Out in Beverly Hills (Nick gets an early dress rehearsal for his mug shot)

:eek:

Those are two of my favorites!!!

:laugh: :wavey:

DrummerDeanna
02-09-2004, 11:55 AM
Add these to my list:

Jerry Maguire (Yawn)

- Jake

Oh geez...I forgot about that one...which is easy to do :) ANyway, I HATED this movie and totally didn't understand all the hype...that one is probably number one on my list!!

chiliD
02-09-2004, 12:08 PM
Jerry Maguire (Yawn)

However, it features a Fleetwood Mac tune..."Oh Well".

Lala
02-09-2004, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by chiliD
However, it features a Fleetwood Mac tune..."Oh Well".

Realllllllyyyyyyyyyyy?

I've gotta watch it again!

jadegypsy
02-09-2004, 10:01 PM
Pulp Fiction
Get Shorty
Fargo
The Others (zzzzz)
all of American Pie (Something about Mary was much better)
Finding Nemo (I like it but my fav disney remains The Little Mermaid)
West Side Story (just to dated for me)
Excalibur (awful)
Any of the Pierce Broson 007 (good, but not great)
Shakesperae in Love (should not have beaten Saving Private Ryan)
The English Patcient (awful)
A Christmas Story (not for me)
Almost ANY Gwynth Paltrow movie (I usually like her movies, but they are not classics).

dissention
02-09-2004, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by jadegypsy

Get Shorty
Fargo

Those two crack me up. :nod: :laugh:

I love Dennis Farina in "Get Shorty".

"I hear the f*ckin' reason you have such beautiful f*ckin' sunsets is because of the f*ckin' smog from this f*ckin' place."

:laugh:

littlelies7
02-09-2004, 11:59 PM
The Matrix was great, until the third one was released...

~~

This doesn't count for overrated, but my God, wanna see a bad movie? See Tomb Raider 2. I almost ran out of the theater.

While watching the movie:

Ack! Must... run out!!

Then again, the Tomb Raider movies weren't any good anyway.

~~

Titanic also is a choice of mine

darklinensuit
02-13-2004, 12:24 AM
More:

Wuthering Heights

Liar, Liar

Reality Bites

most John Cusack movies

- Jake

jadegypsy
02-13-2004, 02:40 AM
Hey Jake,
Have you read Wuthering Heights? I think that remains the only English book I never finished (I found it that bad) and considering I got through Oliver Twist, well lets just say it take talent to write a book I can't wade through. Just wondering, b/c after trying to read it I can't picture myself trying to watch the movie.

Rob67
02-13-2004, 07:54 AM
Add these to my list:

Ghostbusters (SUCKED)

- Jake

:eek: :confused:

Rob:cool:

darklinensuit
02-14-2004, 02:45 AM
Originally posted by Rob67
:eek: :confused:

Never got the big fascination, never made me laugh, and I hate the song. Also, Dan Aykroyd rubs me as kind of smarmy, and I think Bill Murray was better suited to and funnier in his later "Bob" role.

- Jake

dissention
02-16-2004, 09:34 AM
Never got the big fascination, never made me laugh, and I hate the song. Also, Dan Aykroyd rubs me as kind of smarmy, and I think Bill Murray was better suited to and funnier in his later "Bob" role.

- Jake

I love Dan Aykroyd. He made Ghostbusters before he blew up like the Stay Puft man.

When I first saw Driving Miss Daisy, I didn't even know it was him. He was huuuuuuuuuuge. Fat men should NOT wear suspenders.

Gypsy-Rhiannon
02-16-2004, 10:54 AM
Anything with Jim Carrey.....

darklinensuit
02-16-2004, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by dissention
I love Dan Aykroyd. He made Ghostbusters before he blew up like the Stay Puft man.

When I first saw Driving Miss Daisy, I didn't even know it was him. He was huuuuuuuuuuge. Fat men should NOT wear suspenders.

Why, because their pants stay up by themselves?

- Jake

darklinensuit
02-16-2004, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by jadegypsy
Hey Jake,
Have you read Wuthering Heights? I think that remains the only English book I never finished (I found it that bad) and considering I got through Oliver Twist, well lets just say it take talent to write a book I can't wade through. Just wondering, b/c after trying to read it I can't picture myself trying to watch the movie.

Read it in high school. The book is darker and more violent than the movie, plus the music is less intrusive.;)

- Jake

dissention
02-16-2004, 12:12 PM
Why, because their pants stay up by themselves?

- Jake

No, because it makes them look much fatter. It made him look like he had three asses instead of two.

darklinensuit
02-16-2004, 12:14 PM
No, because it makes them look much fatter. It made him look like he had three asses instead of two.

Yeah, but he parts them in the middle in true Mosaic fashion.

- Jake

dissention
02-16-2004, 12:18 PM
Yeah, but he parts them in the middle in true Mosaic fashion.

- Jake

Huh. I thought it was just one large lump of ass. Aykroyd trying to dress must be like trying to get toothpaste back in the tube.

darklinensuit
02-16-2004, 12:22 PM
Huh. I thought it was just one large lump of ass. Aykroyd trying to dress must be like trying to get toothpaste back in the tube.

No doubt he's talented with the voices, though, especially in Dragnet. I just always found him a little smarmy.
Is he still married to Sunny from Bosom Buddies?

- Jake

dissention
02-16-2004, 12:23 PM
No doubt he's talented with the voices, though, especially in Dragnet. I just always found him a little smarmy.
Is he still married to Sunny from Bosom Buddies?

- Jake

Beats me. The last movie I saw with him, he wore nothing but a towel in one scene and that made me swear off of him for awhile.

darklinensuit
02-16-2004, 12:25 PM
Beats me. The last movie I saw with him, he wore nothing but a towel in one scene and that made me swear off of him for awhile.

I guess it was swearing off him or towels. You made the right choice.

- Jake

dissention
02-16-2004, 12:27 PM
I guess it was swearing off him or towels. You made the right choice.

- Jake

It was a hard decision to make, actually. I'm always stuck between a rock and a hard place when it comes to fat men with fur and Martha Stewart towels.

Rob67
02-18-2004, 06:14 PM

Now, now...that's not very PC of you!! ;) :D

dissention
02-18-2004, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by Rob67
Now, now...that's not very PC of you!! ;) :D

Why, Rob, are you afraid I'll go after Rush next? :laugh:

Rush Limbaugh + a Pizza Hut = Total destruction and a weight gain of 157 lbs.

littlelies7
02-18-2004, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by Gypsy-Rhiannon
Anything with Jim Carrey.....

Well then again, Bruce Almighty was a sore disappointment.

~~

The Ace Ventura flicks rocked! :D

HollywoodSteve
02-29-2004, 05:38 PM
English Patient is overrated, absolutely.
Matrix also (sent my head spinning and Keanu was bad as he always is) Didn't see Reloaded or Revolutions but Revolutions got the kind of bad reviews the first one should have gotten.
Lord of the Rings: gorgeous cinematogaphy, fine acting but, yes indeed...a snoozefest.
People can say what they want about Titanic but I think the last hour of the movie is fantastic.