PDA

View Full Version : I was mauled at a Wes Clark rally

DrummerDeanna
01-31-2004, 03:40 PM
Man...let me just start by saying that TV people and photographers are heathens!!!

Wes Clark came to my town today for a rally and I was sent to cover it for our little NPR affiliate...so I got there super early and set up camp next to a speaker, so that I could get good sound...well, the man comes out..and I start getting pushed and shoved around everywhere by mad tv people and photographers!!! Well...by the time I realize what's happening I had to push my way back to my original spot, I didn't care whos camera shot I ruined...I was so mad!!! In fact my tape caught me saying "jerk" and "asshole" a few times...oops hahaha...

Anyway, just wanted to rant...I did end up with my spot though because after that I just pushed right back...I refuse to get the shaft just because I don't have a big tv camera or regular camera with a huge lens...!!

wondergirl9847
01-31-2004, 04:57 PM
Sorry that happened to you Deanna, the media are some CRAZY nuts, that's for sure.

A few years ago, my mom and I went to see Patrick Swayze at Dallas' Planet Hollywood, well, we had gotten there SUPER early and were the first people there and when later on, others came around, there was so much pushing that my mom and I were being crushed into the barriers set up and we kept yelling at the police to tell people to stop shoving!!

Ridiculous!! :mad:

DrummerDeanna
01-31-2004, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by wondergirl9847
Sorry that happened to you Deanna, the media are some CRAZY nuts, that's for sure.

A few years ago, my mom and I went to see Patrick Swayze at Dallas' Planet Hollywood, well, we had gotten there SUPER early and were the first people there and when later on, others came around, there was so much pushing that my mom and I were being crushed into the barriers set up and we kept yelling at the police to tell people to stop shoving!!

Ridiculous!! :mad:

Seriously!! I don't know what comes over people...you'd think Jesus himself was standing before them!!! After the rally it was not only media folks, but regular people pushing me around (I'm kind of small) and the parents were the worst...trying to get a photo op with Wesley Clark and their kids!

BUT..on a happier note, I forgot to mention that my sister met Ted Danson and hung out with him for a bit up at a Wesley Clark rally in the northern part of the state last night...pretty cool! He wasn't at this rally though :( We just got our governor...

darklinensuit
01-31-2004, 07:48 PM
Glad you got your spot back. Next time you know to maul first.;)

- Jake

DeeGeMe
02-01-2004, 11:27 AM
Before leaving the business in 2000, I spent 10 years working in Television and Radio. And from what I can tell from comparing Media to other professions, it's one of the most highly competitive, cut-throat businesses you can possibly begin to ever work in. And despite what people think, the pay sucks. Yes, the network folks make millions, but your average employee in your average market makes crap. If that. My standard line is that "You can't scare me--I used to work in TV!" My other favorite line to quote about my days in media is that I had to quit--I got tired of being that big of a bitch on a daily basis.

DrummerDeanna
02-01-2004, 01:24 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by DeeGeMe
Before leaving the business in 2000, I spent 10 years working in Television and Radio. And from what I can tell from comparing Media to other professions, it's one of the most highly competitive, cut-throat businesses you can possibly begin to ever work in. And despite what people think, the pay sucks. Yes, the network folks make millions, but your average employee in your average market makes crap. If that. My standard line is that "You can't scare me--I used to work in TV!" My other favorite line to quote about my days in media is that I had to quit--I got tired of being that big of a bitch on a daily basis. [/QUOTE

Yup...all true...it is very competitive and cut-throat....but since I'm in a small to medium market it's not too bad here, and the pay at Public radio sucks big time..BUT if you're lucky enough to get into a station that's supported by a university then there's an enormous amount of job security and really good benefits, and annual raises lol.....I want something like that...

Anyway, I usually don't have to deal with situations like the Wes Clark rally, which is why I wasn't prepared...see the Press Corp was there...so there were folks from all the major networks etc and they were vicious!! Really my ultimate goal is to work in the field for a while then go back and get a master and eventually a doctorate and then teach...:D I know I don't want to stay in news forever...talk about burn-out!

gldstwmn
02-01-2004, 01:45 PM
So how was Wesley's speech?

DrummerDeanna
02-02-2004, 01:09 AM
Originally posted by gldstwmn
So how was Wesley's speech?

The speech was actually pretty good, I think he had some good things to say and some real big names in the state are endorsing him, for NM they are predicting a win for either Clark or Dean...which is not at all how it's going elsewhere...and NM has a record of sticking with the popular vote...so we'll see come Tuesday....I think this is the first time there has been a caucus in this state....unfortunately I have not been covering this stuff at work (Clark was the first thing I've covered) and I don't know as much as I should about it...:( Anyway...his speech was good, but when he took his coat off the state's Dem party chair yelled, "Oh No! Don't get crazy! Don't go all Dean on us!!" That was amusing...