PDA

View Full Version : Academy Awards

strandinthewind
01-27-2004, 12:18 PM
I predict LOTR- Return of the King will win Best Picture. I think it deserves to win because all three were magnificent IMO.

I also think Peter Jackson will win Best Director for having the talent and the sand to put all of this together in a coherent manner.

Here is an article:

http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/Movies/01/27/sprj.aa04.oscar.noms/index.html

Here are the nominees:

http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2004/oscars/print.ballot.html

dissention
01-27-2004, 12:21 PM
Charlize will win for Best Actress. :nod: She was fantastic!

I was quite surprised that Jamie Lee Curtis didn't get a nod for Freaky Friday. I didn't even think I'd like the movie, but I did and thought she was absolutely brilliant. I was relieved that Nicole Kidman wasn't nominated, she stunk. And she shouldn't have won last year for The Hours.

But, I'm still bitter over Ellen burstyn not winning for "Requiem For A Dream and Sally Kirkland not winning for "Anna." Two of the best performances in movie history. :nod:

darklinensuit
01-27-2004, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by dissention

I was quite surprised that Jamie Lee Curtis didn't get a nod for Freaky Friday. I didn't even think I'd like the movie, but I did and thought she was absolutely brilliant. I was relieved that Nicole Kidman wasn't nominated, she stunk. And she shouldn't have won last year for The Hours.

I thought she was outstanding in The Others. I've never seen her in anything else except for red carpet walks.

- Jake

DrummerDeanna
01-27-2004, 12:27 PM
Not a bad list of nominees....I can't wait!!! I love the Oscars:)

dissention
01-27-2004, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by darklinensuit
I thought she was outstanding in The Others. I've never seen her in anything else except for red carpet walks.

- Jake

Yeah, she was good in that and "Eyes Wide Shut." But shs stunk to the high heavens in Cold Mountain. The only one to come out of that mess smelling like a rose is Renee. Don't even get me started on Jude Law. U...g...h.

strandinthewind
01-27-2004, 12:28 PM
OMG - Sally Kirkland - always an edless source of entertainment on the red carpet. maybe she'll dress this yeat as Ms. Mona from the "Best Little Whorehouse in Texas" :laugh:

I love her!!!

strandinthewind
01-27-2004, 12:30 PM
Yeah, she was good in that and "Eyes Wide Shut." But shs stunk to the high heavens in Cold Mountain. The only one to come out of that mess smelling like a rose is Renee. Don't even get me started on Jude Law. U...g...h.

I know - I like Jude Law, but his talent IMO does not have as much range as the parts in which he is cast demand. He was. however, brilliant in "The Talented Mr. Ripley" - actually, that whole cast was brilliant in that - even they preying mantis esq La Paltrow :cool:

dissention
01-27-2004, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by strandinthewind
OMG - Sally Kirkland - always an edless source of entertainment on the red carpet. maybe she'll dress this yeat as Ms. Mona from the "Best Little Whorehouse in Texas" :laugh:

I love her!!!

OMG! She always looks like...herself. :laugh: I adore her!

GardenStateGirlie
01-27-2004, 12:32 PM
I think it's between LOTR and Lost in Translation for best picture. Charlize Theron will win for Monster, for sure and she deserves to. I'm undecided about the actor category. I hope Renee Zellweger doesn't win best supporting actress...is it just me or the other night did she seem kind of phony when she delievered her speech?

hayley
01-27-2004, 12:32 PM
I'm upset with the exclusion of Scarlett Johannson for Lost in Translation. I LOVE that film and now I'll be able to watch over and over and over and over as soon as it's released on DVD next Tuesday.

dissention
01-27-2004, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by GardenStateGirlie
I think it's between LOTR and Lost in Translation for best picture. Charlize Theron will win for Monster, for sure and she deserves to. I'm undecided about the actor category. I hope Renee Zellweger doesn't win best supporting actress...is it just me or the other night did she seem kind of phony when she delievered her speech?

I don't care, Renee is simply amazing in every movie. :laugh: :nod: She's gorgeous, she kicked ass in Chicago, she *is* Bridget Jones, and Empire Records is a guilty pleasure. As is the Texas Chainsaw Massacre flick she made ten years ago. :laugh: :laugh:

And Nurse Betty RAWKED.

GardenStateGirlie
01-27-2004, 12:37 PM
I don't care, Renee is simply amazing in every movie. :laugh: :nod: She's gorgeous, she kicked ass in Chicago, she *is* Bridget Jones, and Empire Records is a guilty pleasure. As is the Texas Chainsaw Massacre flick she made ten years ago. :laugh: :laugh:

And Nurse Betty RAWKED.

WELL SINEAD-O REBELLION...SHOCK ME SHOCK ME SHOCK ME WITH THAT DEVIANT BEHAVIOR

That? Might be one of my favorite movies of all time. It's so quotable :nod:

dissention
01-27-2004, 12:39 PM
WELL SINEAD-O REBELLION...SHOCK ME SHOCK ME SHOCK ME WITH THAT DEVIANT BEHAVIOR

That? Might be one of my favorite movies of all time. It's so quotable :nod:

Have you seen the "new" version of it? It's even better than the original cut! :nod:

GardenStateGirlie
01-27-2004, 12:43 PM
Have you seen the "new" version of it? It's even better than the original cut! :nod:

No. Where? Must find. :nod:

Lucas! Where's my money.

In Atlantic City.

What's it DOING in Atlantic City?

Recirculating. :laugh:

dissention
01-27-2004, 12:45 PM
No. Where? Must find. :nod:

Lucas! Where's my money.

In Atlantic City.

What's it DOING in Atlantic City?

Recirculating. :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00008WJEQ/qid=1075225259//ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl74/104-1868282-1715955?v=glance&s=dvd&n=507846

It has 16 minutes edited back into the movie!

And I think the two of us should declare today...Rex Manning Day. :nod:

GardenStateGirlie
01-27-2004, 12:47 PM

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00008WJEQ/qid=1075225259//ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl74/104-1868282-1715955?v=glance&s=dvd&n=507846

It has 16 minutes edited back into the movie!

And I think the two of us should declare today...Rex Manning Day. :nod:

OH REXY...YOU'RE SO SEXY! :laugh: Damn the man, save the Empire! :nod:

dissention
01-27-2004, 12:51 PM
OH REXY...YOU'RE SO SEXY! :laugh: Damn the man, save the Empire! :nod:

I tried to kill myself with a Lady Bic. A pink plastic razor with daisies on it and a moisturizing strip. :laugh:

Why don't you take these CD's and shove them up your ass?

Because it would hurt a lot, Warren. :D :nod:

STOP CALLING ME WARREN! MY NAME ISN'T F*CKING WARREN!!

:laugh: :wavey:

DrummerDeanna
01-27-2004, 12:51 PM

I actually cannot STAND Renee Zellweger...I have disliked her since I saw Jerry Maguire in the theater..I didn't get the hype over that movie, and I don't get the hype over her...she always looks like she's squinting...it bugs me...no offense to the Renee enthusiasts out there...I just don't like her too much....hahah...so she'll probably win BUT I'll be routing for everyone else in the category :)

GardenStateGirlie
01-27-2004, 12:53 PM
I tried to kill myself with a Lady Bic. A pink plastic razor with daisies on it and a moisturizing strip. :laugh:

Why don't you take these CD's and shove them up your ass?

Because it would hurt a lot, Warren. :D :nod:

STOP CALLING ME WARREN! MY NAME ISN'T F*CKING WARREN!!

"His names not Warren."
"His names not Warren."
"His names not Warren."
"I thought his name was Warren?" :laugh:

We've Empire Records' up the Academy Awards thread...woot! :laugh:

dissention
01-27-2004, 12:55 PM
"His names not Warren."
"His names not Warren."
"His names not Warren."
"I thought his name was Warren?" :laugh:

We've Empire Records' up the Academy Awards thread...woot! :laugh:

:laugh:

It's. The. Best. :nod: :wavey:

Seriously, get the new DVD! You'll love it!

You know, someone like you needs to diminish their criminal impulses, not magnify them. Maybe some jazz or some classical.

MAYBE YOU BITE ME. :laugh:

GypsySorcerer
01-27-2004, 01:31 PM
LOTR and Jackson are shoo-ins.

Charlize Theron will win (why no nomination for Cate Blanchett, though?!) :distress:

An interesting race will be actor. Will they finally give it to bad-boy Penn?

I do hope Zellwegger wins supporting actress. She does kind of annoy me, but she's done some great work and deserves to be honored. And she kicked butt in Cold Mountain.

golden braid
01-27-2004, 02:17 PM

But, I'm still bitter over Ellen burstyn not winning for "Requiem For A Dream and Sally Kirkland not winning for "Anna." Two of the best performances in movie history. :nod:

I think Charlize will win too even though I haven't seen the movie. It hasn't been really playing around me. I wish that Jamie Lee Curtis was nominated also. She was so funny.

And Ellen Burstyn definitely should have won for Requiem for a Dream. Didn't Halle Berry win that year? I can't stand Halle.

dissention
01-27-2004, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by golden braid
And Ellen Burstyn definitely should have won for Requiem for a Dream. Didn't Halle Berry win that year? I can't stand Halle.

Nope, Julia "I Couldn't Act My Way Out of a Paper Bag" Roberts won that year. :(

Merf
01-27-2004, 03:24 PM

I have it on DVD!!! I freaking love Empire Records!!

"Attention Rex Manning fans! To your left, you will see our night manager Lucas, chasing after a shoplifter. He WILL be caught, deep-fried, and served to the first lucky 100 customers. Mmmmmmm!!! Just another tasty treat from the gang at EMPIRE RECORDS."

OK, I'm paraphrasing by memory here, it's not exact, but ho well.

Mark: I'm thinking about starting a band.
Lucas: Well do you have a name? Picking the right name is essential to figuring out what kind of band you're going to have.
Mark: .... I was thinking about "Marc." With a "C." Because my name, [looks at his namebadge] is with a "K." Hee hee.
Lucas: ALWAYS play with their minds.

:)

Debra: I think you get smarter the shorter your skirt gets.
Gina: I think you get smarter the shorter your hair gets.
Debra: Let's not fight-- let's just rip.

Mark: No, no, we musn't dwell. Not today! NOT ON REX MANNING DAY!!!!

dissention
01-27-2004, 03:27 PM
And don't forget...

Jane: Actually, his new album tested well among teenage males.

Lucas: Jane, did you compare the percentage of teenage male Rex Manning fans to the incidence of homosexuality amongst teenage males?

And my fave:

"Oh no, Debra, don't be bitter, surely with your ever growing collection of flesh mutilating silver appendages and your brand new neo-nazi boot camp makeover the boys will come a-runnin'."

coldplay
01-27-2004, 05:51 PM
I'm suprised that no one's mentioned Keisha Castle Hughes who acted in the atmospheric Whale Rider.

Hughes, now 13, is the youngest person to be nominated in this category. That's some achievement.

wondergirl9847
01-27-2004, 06:46 PM
I frickin LOVE that movie!! You guys are KILLING me with the quotes!!

Rex Manning!! BWAH! :lol:

I need to get that DVD!! :nod:

I've only seen ONE movie nominated for the Oscars....Finding Nemo. LOL

Keith
01-27-2004, 06:52 PM
I loved 'Whale Rider' and it was great to see that Keisha Castle-Hughes got nominated for her performance.. but, the award will, and should, go to Charlize Theron for "Monster." One of the best performances that I have seen in a while. Disturbing movie, but terrific acting job!

but seeing that one of my favorite movies of the year, "In America" get 3 nominations was the highlight of the nominations for me.. Samantha Morton for best actress, Djimon Hounsou for best supporting actor, and best screenplay. I cried twice during this movie that was about loss and finally saying goodbye.. beautiful, beautiful film.

I was also surprised that 'Cold Mountain' didn't get a best picture nod (glad it didn't), but was glad to see Renee Zellweger get a supporting nod.. I was starting to nod myself while watching the movie, then Ruby Threes came into the picture.. Renee definitely stole every scene she was in.. but I wouldn't be surprise if Patricia Clarkson somehow upsets Renee.. she was also very good in a great little movie called "The Station Agent."

Happy to see Sofia Coppola get a best director nod for the wonderfully written and acted "Lost in Translation." It looks like Scarlett Johansson cancelled herself out with two great performances in “Lost in Translation” and “The Girl with a Pearl Earring.”

but, I will definitely be rooting for Peter Jackson and Lord of the Rings: Return of the King (I've seen it three times already), and it should walk away with the Best Film and Director trophies.. an amazing end to an amazing trilogy! I think Sean Astin got overlooked for an acting nod.. he was amazing as Sam.. what a friend!

DownOnRodeo
01-27-2004, 07:36 PM
I can't say I've seen all of these, but from what I have seen, I think that ROTK should get Best Film and Jackson should unquestionably get Best Director for the work on all three LOTR movies. I always got the impression that they were holding out until ROTK to honour him for the feat.

Now I'm as big a fan of Lost in Translation as any; but god knows I hope that Scarlett never gets an acting award for it! Bleugh! She is one sexy number, but her husky drone-like abilities to snorify really grate on me. But I guess original Screenplay would be a good call. And nor do I think Copolla deserves Best Director. Well maybe she does, but not against some of the other contenders.

darklinensuit
01-28-2004, 02:02 AM
Originally posted by DrummerDeanna
I actually cannot STAND Renee Zellweger...I have disliked her since I saw Jerry Maguire in the theater..I didn't get the hype over that movie, and I don't get the hype over her...she always looks like she's squinting...it bugs me...no offense to the Renee enthusiasts out there...I just don't like her too much....hahah...so she'll probably win BUT I'll be routing for everyone else in the category :)

I've never seen her in anything except for Jerry Maguire & I feel asleep in that one.

- Jake

cliffdweller
01-28-2004, 05:17 PM

Uh-oh, I really like Jude Law. Talk about your hotties.....

Renee deserves her nomination, as does Charlize (she better win or all is not right with this world) and either Lost in Translation or LOTR: ROTK should win best movie. I also think Benicio Del Torro should win for 21 Grams (excellent movie) and Bill Murray for Lost in Translation.

hayley
01-28-2004, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by cliffdweller
Uh-oh, I really like Jude Law. Talk about your hotties.....

I love Jude Law. Especially when's rocking the faux-hawk. Swoon.

The vast majority of those who don't see his appeal and charm will change their mind when they see him in the remake of Alfie next year.

sparky
01-28-2004, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by DrummerDeanna

I'm with you ! I call her Squintee Puffweger - always squinty, always puffy, frequently whiny. BUT, I thought she rocked in Cold Mountain. She made the movie, IMO. And I am a Nicole fanatic. For ole Squinty to win me over, she had to be good. She really cracked me up. Go figure.

littlelies7
01-28-2004, 09:27 PM
I'm all for LOTR, even though I haven't seen any of the films yet.

I will eventually! :nod:

darklinensuit
01-29-2004, 02:34 AM
Originally posted by trackaghost
Bill Murray for Best Actor!

Bill Murray for Best Actor!!

Bill Murray for Best Actor!!!!!!

Yay! I love Bill Murray. He deserves this Oscar.

Baby steps...baby steps...baby steps...I'm SAILING!!!:laugh:

- Jake