PDA

View Full Version : Do you like your name?

darklinensuit
01-20-2004, 03:15 PM
If you had the chance to name yourself, what would you choose?

I'm happy with Jake.
Then again, it is a nickname.;)

- Jake

Sorcerer386
01-20-2004, 03:31 PM
I hate my name actually, although a lot of people like the name Justin. I don't get it, it doesn't roll off the tongue nicely, and usually when you try to say the name fast the 't' sound gets slurred or blunted, so it sounds like "Jussin." I was supposed to have been named Brent, which I would take over Justin any day, but honestly I don't know what name I would prefer most. Guys names aren't fun like girls' names.

DownOnRodeo
01-20-2004, 04:36 PM
lol This is what I get from going directly to the computer from rolling out of bed in the morning, but I saw the thread title and who started it, and I thought, 'Ah, poor darklinensuit - I'm glad that's not my name' :laugh: :laugh:
:rolleyes: Maybe I should have breakfast first before I check the boards. :)

gldstwmn
01-20-2004, 04:53 PM
Love it.:)

ShamHy89
01-20-2004, 05:14 PM
At first I kinda thought WTF??? But since my mother and all my grandparents are from Ireland and my uncle is named Seamus, I have come to embrace it, even though I have yet to meet another Seamus in the world. My mom decided to spell my name the phonetic way so people wouldn't pronounce it "see-mus":rolleyes: Overall, I like it.

Shamus:)

Pisces Queen
01-20-2004, 05:21 PM
My name is Catherine. Everyone always tries to call me Cathy or Cat. Which the latter part is fine. But I am not a Cathy. Not that there is anything wrong with that. See my last name is Lee so if I went by Cathy it wouldn't be pretty ~ I was teased so bad in 5th grade. I have nightmares of little children following behind me screaming Cathy Lee Crosby. But all in all I like my name. I had a hell of a time learning to spell it in pre-K and told my Mom as much. All my friends had names like Kim or Amy. Not me. Catherine ~ I have like 50 different words in my name ;) . You can even spell Cat in a Hat.

GardenStateGirlie
01-20-2004, 05:36 PM
I really don't like my name....Marissa...blah.....my middle name is Lee. It was supposed to be spelled "Leigh" but my mom changed it out of fear that my entire name would be too long for me...my last name? Long. And Italian. Initially, my mom wanted to name me Marja. Dad said, HELL NO. So, I suppose Marissa is a lot better than Marja. Thank you dad! :nod:

darklinensuit
01-20-2004, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by GardenStateGirlie
I really don't like my name....Marissa...blah.....my middle name is Lee. It was supposed to be spelled "Leigh" but my mom changed it out of fear that my entire name would be too long for me...my last name? Long. And Italian. Initially, my mom wanted to name me Marja. Dad said, HELL NO. So, I suppose Marissa is a lot better than Marja. Thank you dad! :nod:

Marja Lee.:laugh: :laugh:

"I can bring home the bacon (dah dah dah dah)
Fry it up in the pan
And never let you forget you're a man
'Cause I'm a woman
Marja Lee"

Well, not QUITE the same as that old jingle.:cool:

- Jake

darklinensuit
01-20-2004, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by Sorcerer386
I hate my name actually, although a lot of people like the name Justin. I don't get it, it doesn't roll off the tongue nicely, and usually when you try to say the name fast the 't' sound gets slurred or blunted, so it sounds like "Jussin." I was supposed to have been named Brent, which I would take over Justin any day, but honestly I don't know what name I would prefer most. Guys names aren't fun like girls' names.

Justin is a fine name. The only bad thing is it's so trendy now, and I never care for the trendy names.

- Jake

darklinensuit
01-20-2004, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by DownOnRodeo
Maybe I should have breakfast first before I check the boards. :)

:nod:

- Jake

darklinensuit
01-20-2004, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by gldstwmn
Love it.:)

Especially since your birth certificate includes vowels.;)

- Jake

darklinensuit
01-20-2004, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by ShamHy89
At first I kinda thought WTF??? But since my mother and all my grandparents are from Ireland and my uncle is named Seamus, I have come to embrace it, even though I have yet to meet another Seamus in the world. My mom decided to spell my name the phonetic way so people wouldn't pronounce it "see-mus":rolleyes: Overall, I like it.

I like the more traditional ethnic names. Good for your folks.

- Jake

darklinensuit
01-20-2004, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by Pisces Queen
My name is Catherine. Everyone always tries to call me Cathy or Cat. Which the latter part is fine. But I am not a Cathy. Not that there is anything wrong with that. See my last name is Lee so if I went by Cathy it wouldn't be pretty ~ I was teased so bad in 5th grade. I have nightmares of little children following behind me screaming Cathy Lee Crosby. But all in all I like my name. I had a hell of a time learning to spell it in pre-K and told my Mom as much. All my friends had names like Kim or Amy. Not me. Catherine ~ I have like 50 different words in my name ;) . You can even spell Cat in a Hat.

Sure thing, Cate.:wavey:

- Jake

Carlene
01-20-2004, 05:56 PM
Growing up, I hated Carlene because it was not common. I would have killed to have had the luxury to walk into a card store and pick up "Carlene" pencils and "Carlene" notepads!! All my friends had pencils with their names on it....why couldn't I?!?!

I found out from my mother that I almost was named Michelene. It's pretty, but my goodness! I would have been "Mikey" all through school!

Now that I'm an adult, I find I really like my name. It is unique and I get a lot of compliments on it. The only thing that really gets me, though, is when people call me Charlene. Nothing against that name, but it is not mine. (Just a little pet peeve I have -- I kind of like it when people call me by my correct name!)

And really...it's quite an honor to have two songs written for me: "Carlene" by country singer Phil Vassar :rolleyes: and "Carlene" by the New Monkees!! :confused: At least they both spelled it right!

GardenStateGirlie
01-20-2004, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by darklinensuit
Marja Lee.:laugh: :laugh:

"I can bring home the bacon (dah dah dah dah)
Fry it up in the pan
And never let you forget you're a man
'Cause I'm a woman
Marja Lee"

Well, not QUITE the same as that old jingle.:cool:

- Jake

:laugh:

I'm pretty sure you know my last name. Despite the fact that it begins with an "M," it doesn't go with Marja....Marja Lee...can I get a HELL NO :nod:

darklinensuit
01-20-2004, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Carlene
At least they both spelled it right!

I dated a Karlene years ago. I always thought the spelling was just about the only thing right with her.:)

- Jake

Johnny Stew
01-20-2004, 06:10 PM
I'm sort of ambivalent about my name. I don't love it or hate it... it just is.
And I've never really felt like a "Brian"... probably because I bear a strong resemblance to my mother's dad (who passed away in 1976) and her brother, both of whom are named Samuel... so the extended family (Great-Aunts & Great-Uncles, and 2nd & 3rd cousins), as well as family friends, have often called me "Sammy," because of it.

It's actually pretty hysterical when people who went to high school with my uncle (he graduated in 1977), see me and say, "Sammy! Oh my God, you still look just like you did in school!" :laugh:

But overall, "Brian" is a good name... plus it means "strong and noble," so one could definitely do worse! :)

Carlene
01-20-2004, 06:11 PM
I dated a Karlene years ago. I always thought the spelling was just about the only thing right with her.:)

- Jake

EEK! :eek: Whatta rip, Jake!

But not all Carlenes are bad. :D

I will, though, add your comment to my list of "sightings." I am always amazed when I hear about other people with my name (that was especially true when I was younger).

I think the country singer Carlene Carter is the biggest name I know of. (And what's with this country music connection!?!?) Maybe I missed my calling.

Johnny Stew
01-20-2004, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by Sorcerer386
I hate my name actually, although a lot of people like the name Justin. I don't get it, it doesn't roll off the tongue nicely, and usually when you try to say the name fast the 't' sound gets slurred or blunted, so it sounds like "Jussin." I was supposed to have been named Brent, which I would take over Justin any day, but honestly I don't know what name I would prefer most. Guys names aren't fun like girls' names. I've always really liked the name Justin... it's masculine, and it has a great meaning (just, true, virtuous), without sounding at all stodgy or out-dated. :nod:

GypsySorcerer
01-20-2004, 06:17 PM
In a word, no.

I always get called Kristy, Kristin, Crystal.... It gets old.

Krista

FiercestCalmSea
01-20-2004, 06:49 PM
I used to really dislike Sarah,but i think i have grown to really like it..and after all,it does mean Princess :)

goldie
01-20-2004, 07:14 PM
I do like my name......Danielle........and I like my last name so much that when I got married, I didn't change it! (I'm a rebel!)

I have one song of that I know of with my name in it....it's "Darlin' Danielle Don't" by Henry Lee Summer. I think he even released it as a single, but I don't think it went too far. oh well. What does the record-buying public know anyway? lol

sara1998
01-20-2004, 08:12 PM
Maria Ann.

I agree with Brian, I don't like it or hate it. It just is. Not sure what it means. My pet-peeve is being called Marie.... takes me back to childhood, and when I hear someone call me that, I think I'm in trouble!:laugh:

Maria

xdreamsunwindx
01-20-2004, 08:25 PM
I don't mind my name, but I certainly don't feel like it fits me. My real name is Catherine, but people call me Kate. My nickname is really supposed to be Katie, but people always call me Kate. And I like Kate better than Katie... I think it fits me more :nod:

On another note, don't even bother asking me about my last name. I freaking hate it. I think my first name would sound better with Buckingham at the end but that sure ain't happening any time soon :laugh:

DownOnRodeo
01-20-2004, 08:34 PM
Speaking of name meanings, Joseph means 'He shall add children!' What the hell? :laugh: Talk about getting a hint from the folks :rolleyes: :p

DrummerDeanna
01-20-2004, 09:46 PM
I guess my name's okay...but for some reason no one seems to know how to say it!! I've been called Dana, Dina, Diana (my BIGGEST pet peeve) at restaurants or whatever I always emphasize the DEEanna...ahaha..but it never fails, they write down Diana, and that's what they call out...it bugs me.

Anway, seems that there were several parents not wanting to give their kids hard names to spell....

My mom wanted to name me Danielle after an uncle (Daniel) I have, then she wanted to name me Emmanuel or Noel (the first two were too hard to spell, the last my dad hated) so somehow they ended up with Deanna :D

goldie
01-20-2004, 10:04 PM
My dad's name is Daniel....and I am Danielle.... I have been told that I was almost a Christine. (LOL!)

golden braid
01-21-2004, 12:53 AM
I've never really liked my name, Deborah, a lot. I will introduce myself as Deborah and people will still call me Debbie which I hate. Deb is okay but I am definitely not a Debbie. Of course Deborah is better than Dorothy which my dad wanted to name me after his mom.

Merf
01-21-2004, 01:00 AM
Growing up, I hated Carlene because it was not common. I would have killed to have had the luxury to walk into a card store and pick up "Carlene" pencils and "Carlene" notepads!! All my friends had pencils with their names on it....why couldn't I?!?!

I was exactly the same way as a kid... you couldn't find jacksquat with "Meredith" on it... it used to piss me off!

Now I'm pretty neutral on my name. It's ok.

laurie816
01-21-2004, 07:46 AM
When I was little, I didn't like my name...but now I love it and the different sounds it makes.

My mother wanted to name me Lara after the character in Dr. Zhivago...but instead chose Laurie (my middle name is Ann)...She would absolutely LOATHE it when someone would pronounce it LOR-EEE...:laugh: It had to have the proper inflection.

Now, when I got in trouble as a kid...I'd hear "Laurie ANN!!" and now when I hear it...I always feel like a little girl again:)

Most of the time people close to me call me "Laur"....which makes me feel good. You know when people feel close enough to you not to be so proper with you and are comfortable enough around you...So everytime I hear someone call me that, I find it very endearing:)

And I love when one of my friends calls me and I'm not home...she 'sings' my name..."Lauuuurieeeeeeee"....over and over until she realizes I'm not home:laugh:

CarneVaca
01-21-2004, 10:51 AM
CarneVaca suits me perfectly.

Mad4stevie
01-21-2004, 10:54 AM
I like my name - unfortunately it seemed to be very "in-vogue" in the early 1970's, because there were so many other Heathers in school.

My middle name - Louise - I do not like at all. :distress: Probably becasue my dad used to call me "Wheesy" like the lady from The Jeffersons. I don't think there is any comparion there - my dad probably just used it to get on my nerves!:rolleyes:

face of glass
01-21-2004, 11:20 AM
Like it. Dictators rule. ;)

wondergirl9847
01-21-2004, 12:33 PM
Christy is cool, although the spelling issues throughout life poses some problems. I know how Lindsey feels. :laugh:

My dad wanted to name me......

Windy Day. <insert laugh here> :rolleyes:

LOL

My mom wanted to name me Shelley or Sheila and no offense to Shelleys or Sheilas but :distress: , thank goodness for Christy, my mom's best friend in high school. LOL

Merf
01-21-2004, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by goldie
My dad's name is Daniel....and I am Danielle.... I have been told that I was almost a Christine. (LOL!)

Yeah, I've been told I was either going to be Joanna Rebecca or my dad wanted to name me Diana, after the Princess. (I was born the year she married Prince Charles).

My mom worked with a lady who'd just had a baby named "Meredith," and she heard the name and liked it because at the time it wasn't that common. My great-grandmother picked out "Elizabeth" as my middle name. My last name is short (5 letters, 2 syllables) so it goes well with it.

darklinensuit
01-21-2004, 03:13 PM

I'm pretty sure you know my last name. Despite the fact that it begins with an "M," it doesn't go with Marja....Marja Lee...can I get a HELL NO :nod:

How about Marja Juana then?
:wavey:

- Jake

darklinensuit
01-21-2004, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by Johnny Stew
I'm sort of ambivalent about my name. I don't love it or hate it... it just is.
And I've never really felt like a "Brian"... probably because I bear a strong resemblance to my mother's dad (who passed away in 1976) and her brother, both of whom are named Samuel... so the extended family (Great-Aunts & Great-Uncles, and 2nd & 3rd cousins), as well as family friends, have often called me "Sammy," because of it.

It's actually pretty hysterical when people who went to high school with my uncle (he graduated in 1977), see me and say, "Sammy! Oh my God, you still look just like you did in school!" :laugh:

But overall, "Brian" is a good name... plus it means "strong and noble," so one could definitely do worse! :)

I like the name Sam, but I teach SEVERAL this year. Definitely a trendy name.

- Jake (also trendy)

darklinensuit
01-21-2004, 03:17 PM

I think the country singer Carlene Carter is the biggest name I know of. (And what's with this country music connection!?!?) Maybe I missed my calling.

By all means, recognize your heritage, embrace your destiny. You know, not many folks know this, but the Grand Ole Opry was originally going to be built in Pittsburgh.:laugh: :laugh:

- Jake

darklinensuit
01-21-2004, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by Johnny Stew
I've always really liked the name Justin... it's masculine, and it has a great meaning (just, true, virtuous), without sounding at all stodgy or out-dated. :nod:

If it's good enough for wonderChristy's big-haired loverboy, who can criticize?:)

- Jake

darklinensuit
01-21-2004, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by GypsySorcerer
In a word, no.

I always get called Kristy, Kristin, Crystal.... It gets old.

~Krista~

I like Krista. Also Kirsten.

- Jake

darklinensuit
01-21-2004, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by FiercestCalmSea
I used to really dislike Sarah,but i think i have grown to really like it..and after all,it does mean Princess :)

I like it a lot, and judging by the number of Sarahs in my classes, so do a lot of others.

- Jake

GardenStateGirlie
01-21-2004, 03:50 PM
How about Marja Juana then?

- Jake

How about... No. :laugh:

So tell us JAKE....if it's a nickname...what's the real name? Jacob? :nod:

wondergirl9847
01-21-2004, 03:54 PM
If it's good enough for wonderChristy's big-haired loverboy, who can criticize?:)

- Jake

You bettah believe it!! I love the name Justin, and I use to know (and really like) a boy named Dustin. :)

darklinensuit
01-21-2004, 05:08 PM
I do like my name......Danielle........and I like my last name so much that when I got married, I didn't change it! (I'm a rebel!)

I have one song of that I know of with my name in it....it's "Darlin' Danielle Don't" by Henry Lee Summer. I think he even released it as a single, but I don't think it went too far. oh well. What does the record-buying public know anyway? lol

Complete the phrase for us: Darlin' Danielle Don't __________.

- Jake

darklinensuit
01-21-2004, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by sara1998
Maria Ann.

I agree with Brian, I don't like it or hate it. It just is. Not sure what it means. My pet-peeve is being called Marie.... takes me back to childhood, and when I hear someone call me that, I think I'm in trouble!:laugh:

Maria

Marie reminds me of Antoinette or Barone or Carrie Fisher's When Harry Met Sally character.
I agree, stick with Maria.

- Jake

darklinensuit
01-21-2004, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by xdreamsunwindx

On another note, don't even bother asking me about my last name. I freaking hate it. I think my first name would sound better with Buckingham at the end but that sure ain't happening any time soon :laugh:

Not necessarily. Maybe they're looking to adopt.:)

- Jake

darklinensuit
01-21-2004, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by DownOnRodeo
Speaking of name meanings, Joseph means 'He shall add children!' What the hell? :laugh: Talk about getting a hint from the folks :rolleyes: :p

maybe they mean A-D-D children. The last Joseph I taught had a bit of an attention challenge.:)

- Jake

darklinensuit
01-21-2004, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by DrummerDeanna
I guess my name's okay...but for some reason no one seems to know how to say it!! I've been called Dana, Dina, Diana (my BIGGEST pet peeve) at restaurants or whatever I always emphasize the DEEanna...ahaha..but it never fails, they write down Diana, and that's what they call out...it bugs me.

Anway, seems that there were several parents not wanting to give their kids hard names to spell....

My mom wanted to name me Danielle after an uncle (Daniel) I have, then she wanted to name me Emmanuel or Noel (the first two were too hard to spell, the last my dad hated) so somehow they ended up with Deanna :D

Look on the bright side, at least they didn't combine the two and call you Nomannuel.:laugh:
What do you think of just plain Dee?

- Jake

darklinensuit
01-21-2004, 05:16 PM

Daniel's a fine biblical name, but I'll always associate it with my weird childhood neighbor. Some names can just get ruined for you that way.

- Jake

darklinensuit
01-21-2004, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by golden braid
I've never really liked my name, Deborah, a lot. I will introduce myself as Deborah and people will still call me Debbie which I hate. Deb is okay but I am definitely not a Debbie. Of course Deborah is better than Dorothy which my dad wanted to name me after his mom.

The biblical Deborah rocked!
But I'm not nuts about Debbie.

- Jake

darklinensuit
01-21-2004, 05:18 PM
The biblical Deborah rocked!
But I'm doubting anybody would call you Debbi.

- Jake

darklinensuit
01-21-2004, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by Merf
I was exactly the same way as a kid... you couldn't find jacksquat with "Meredith" on it... it used to piss me off!

Now I'm pretty neutral on my name. It's ok.

I love uncommon names, especially if they're easy to spell.

- Jake

darklinensuit
01-21-2004, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by laurie816

And I love when one of my friends calls me and I'm not home...she 'sings' my name..."Lauuuurieeeeeeee"....over and over until she realizes I'm not home:laugh:

How do you know? Do you stand outside and watch and laugh?:)

- Jake

darklinensuit
01-21-2004, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by CarneVaca
CarneVaca suits me perfectly.

The same way darklinensuits me.;)

- Jake

darklinensuit
01-21-2004, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by Mad4stevie
I like my name - unfortunately it seemed to be very "in-vogue" in the early 1970's, because there were so many other Heathers in school.

My middle name - Louise - I do not like at all. :distress: Probably becasue my dad used to call me "Wheesy" like the lady from The Jeffersons. I don't think there is any comparion there - my dad probably just used it to get on my nerves!:rolleyes:

Heather was really common when I was a kid, you're right.

I dated a model named Louise, and her family called her Weezie.
She looked nothing like Mrs. Jefferson, though she did live in a deeeluxe apartment in the sky-y-y.

- Jake

darklinensuit
01-21-2004, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by face of glass
Like it. Dictators rule. ;)

And yours is much better than Fidel or Adolph or Saddam or Idi.

- Jake

darklinensuit
01-21-2004, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by wondergirl9847
Christy is cool, although the spelling issues throughout life poses some problems. I know how Lindsey feels. :laugh:

My dad wanted to name me......

Windy Day. <insert laugh here> :rolleyes:

LOL

My mom wanted to name me Shelley or Sheila and no offense to Shelleys or Sheilas but :distress: , thank goodness for Christy, my mom's best friend in high school. LOL

I'll never read your posts again without thinking of the song Windy.
("Everyone knows it's Wind- Eee...")

- Jake

darklinensuit
01-21-2004, 05:28 PM
Yeah, I've been told I was either going to be Joanna Rebecca or my dad wanted to name me Diana, after the Princess. (I was born the year she married Prince Charles).

My mom worked with a lady who'd just had a baby named "Meredith," and she heard the name and liked it because at the time it wasn't that common. My great-grandmother picked out "Elizabeth" as my middle name. My last name is short (5 letters, 2 syllables) so it goes well with it.

I always thought Merf was short for Smerf.;)

- Jake

darklinensuit
01-21-2004, 05:29 PM
How about... No. :laugh:

So tell us JAKE....if it's a nickname...what's the real name? Jacob? :nod:

Nope.
Think of the Michael Douglas movie. "I'll never te-ell.":wavey:

- Jake

darklinensuit
01-21-2004, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by wondergirl9847
You bettah believe it!! I love the name Justin, and I use to know (and really like) a boy named Dustin. :)

I taught two boys named Dustin.
One of them had a brother with a rather unusuaL name. I'll try to remember to PM it to you.

- Jake

GardenStateGirlie
01-21-2004, 05:31 PM
Nope.
Think of the Michael Douglas movie. "I'll never te-ell.":wavey:

- Jake

You? Are no fun. Is it THAT bad?

On another note, I think you've just won the "most replies to a single thread in under 10 minutes" award...:laugh:

darklinensuit
01-21-2004, 05:41 PM
You? Are no fun. Is it THAT bad?

On another note, I think you've just won the "most replies to a single thread in under 10 minutes" award...:laugh:

It's not bad, I just want to keep that kind of intimate knowledge where it belongs, between me and Stevie.

My work computer is much faster than my home IBM etch-a-sketch.

GardenStateGirlie
01-21-2004, 05:49 PM
I just want to keep that kind of intimate knowledge where it belongs, between me and Stevie.

dream on...silly dreamer.... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

darklinensuit
01-21-2004, 05:52 PM
dream on...silly dreamer.... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Try hard, I can't leave her.

- Jake

golddustwoman77
01-21-2004, 05:53 PM
I really like my name, Sacha. It is pronounced Sayshu. I like it, because it is unique. You don't hear it all the time. When people yell my name, I know they are talking to me. :laugh: It is really cool! I have met Sasha's (Sahshu), but no Sacha's. Background on the name: She knew someone who had a similiar name to mine, so she tweaked it a bit. Wala! My name. Why did she do it? My mother's name is Linda, and at the time she was growing up, a lot of people were named Linda. She hated having the same name as a lot of other people. Therefore, she wanted me to have an unusual name. I think she hit the nail on the head.:nod:

:wavey: :wavey: :wavey:

GardenStateGirlie
01-21-2004, 05:55 PM
Try hard, I can't leave her.

- Jake

Too bad she'll be enjoying six weeks in a foreign country with another....;)

She's JOES girl now..... :laugh:

darklinensuit
01-21-2004, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by golddustwoman77
I really like my name, Sacha. It is pronounced Sayshu. I like it, because it is unique. You don't hear it all the time. When people yell my name, I know they are talking to me. :laugh: It is really cool! I have met Sasha's (Sahshu), but no Sacha's. Background on the name: She knew someone who had a similiar name to mine, so she thweked it a bit. Wala! My name. Why did she do it? My mother's name is Linda, and at the time she was growing up, a lot of people were named Linda. She hated having the same name as a lot of other people. Therefore, she wanted me to have an unusual name. I think she hit the nail on the head.:nod:

:wavey: :wavey: :wavey:

Cool. I think more people should have tweaked/unique names.:)

- Jake

goldie
01-21-2004, 07:48 PM

My middle name is Elizabeth, too! But...get this...my parents didn't give me a middle name when I was born. So, when I was in 8th grade, I decided I wanted a middle name, so we had my name legally changed. :)

sodascouts
01-21-2004, 08:16 PM
I like the name "Nancy" because it's not weird, but it's not too common either. The only probably was that it was a really popular name in like the 20s-40s, so most of the "Nancy"s around are my grandparent's age!

My middle name is "Kay." I was going to be named "Karen," but my last name starts with a "K" too, and being from Texas, my mother decided that she didn't want her daughter wearing "KKK" on her monogrammed sweaters, lol.

So Nancy it is! "One of Grace." OK, it's not true, but it sounds nice, lol.

macmar71
01-21-2004, 09:08 PM
I have grown to like it , when I was little I really didn't care for it but then I was told I was almost named Tiffany and I do not think I look like a Tiffany.

I agree with you, Krista, that it is annoying when people call you other Chris/Kris like names~~I get called Crystal alot and I love the song but that is not my name, not fond of that.

But all in all, Christa is a decent name and I am used to it.

DrummerDeanna
01-21-2004, 11:42 PM
Look on the bright side, at least they didn't combine the two and call you Nomannuel.:laugh:
What do you think of just plain Dee?

- Jake

I was actually known as Dee up until second grade...so the people in my life who have known me since then or before...all call me Dee...except my nephew who's only four, but he calls me Aunt Dee, and some other newer friends have heard my family or old friends call me Dee, and they've started calling me that as well...so yep...I have no problem with just plain Dee :D

laurie816
01-22-2004, 08:23 AM
How do you know? Do you stand outside and watch and laugh?:)

- Jake

:laugh: No, I should've clairfied that I hear her singing on the answering machine...but I must admit, when I see her name on the Caller ID...I stand there and listen and laugh!!

face of glass
01-22-2004, 09:55 AM
And yours is much better than Fidel or Adolph or Saddam or Idi.

Yep. The only ones who give those names to their kids are probably goofy, arty types anyway. Some artist in Finland once wanted to name his kid "Little Devil". Maybe he has problems with diapers. ;)

littlelies7
01-22-2004, 01:06 PM
My parents wanted me to be named "Lindsey", which ended up happening. They hated "Lindsay".

But, I used to hate my name for this sole reason: no one, and I mean no one, every spelled it right! Augh! They woudl call and even write Lindsay and I would be so furious.

It gets worse. When I was little, my elementary school principal referred to me as Leslie! :eek:

Hey, it's interesting that my favorite band has a member with my name. I found that unusually freaky.

Then again, I had met several other Lindseys, and let's say it's hard to be in the same room with them when someone calls out "Lindsey!"

~~

Funny fact: if my name wasn't Lindsey, I would've been named Lucinda or Whitney (still referring to musicians, weird...)

Merf
01-22-2004, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by sodascouts
So Nancy it is! "One of Grace." OK, it's not true, but it sounds nice, lol.

Interesting thing about my name, "Meredith." It's Welsh and means "Guardian of the Sea." Well, Marissa's name means "the sea." And she has two best good friends named "Meredith." Come on, triple M's, I'm sure you've heard of us :)

So in essence, we are her "guardians." Pretty freaky, huh?

GardenStateGirlie
01-22-2004, 02:44 PM

Interesting thing about my name, "Meredith." It's Welsh and means "Guardian of the Sea." Well, Marissa's name means "the sea." And she has two best good friends named "Meredith." Come on, triple M's, I'm sure you've heard of us :)

That still trips me out.

M&M...kickin' ass and taking names of those that mess with the younger one :D

Nice addition to the sig...lol...I will never forget the looks garnered as we left the hotel for the concert...:laugh:

Merf
01-22-2004, 02:55 PM
That still trips me out.

and you know this, MANNNN!!!!!!!

Nice addition to the sig...lol...I will never forget the looks garnered as we left the hotel for the concert...:laugh:

With the tiaras, Meredith's T-shirt, and mine that said "Sorority Girls Do It With Their Sisters," we fit right in with the Prime Minister of Pakistan and his entourage!!! :laugh:

GardenStateGirlie
01-22-2004, 03:09 PM
and you know this, MANNNN!!!!!!!

With the tiaras, Meredith's T-shirt, and mine that said "Sorority Girls Do It With Their Sisters," we fit right in with the Prime Minister of Pakistan and his entourage!!! :laugh:

Well, now, they did think we were part of his entourage say the papers that were slipped through the hotel room door 4 times that day.

Ahh...the memory shall be etched in my mind forever along with the fact that I did 85 with OUT OF STATE TAGS THROUGH MARYLAND to get you back to Baltimore..."watch for cops...kplz..." :laugh:

"MEMORIEEESSSS....MISTY WATER COLORED MEMORIIIEEEES...."

darklinensuit
01-22-2004, 06:04 PM
My middle name is Elizabeth, too! But...get this...my parents didn't give me a middle name when I was born. So, when I was in 8th grade, I decided I wanted a middle name, so we had my name legally changed. :)

So why Elizabeth?

- Jake

darklinensuit
01-22-2004, 06:07 PM
Too bad she'll be enjoying six weeks in a foreign country with another....;)

She's JOES girl now..... :laugh:

Hardly. Just 'cuz she's been Thrown Down on Rodeo, it doesn't mean she won't be taking her midnight plane back to me to ring her bell through the night.;)
Remember, she loves to waltz with me.

- Jake

darklinensuit
01-22-2004, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by sodascouts
[B]

My middle name is "Kay." I was going to be named "Karen," but my last name starts with a "K" too, and being from Texas, my mother decided that she didn't want her daughter wearing "KKK" on her monogrammed sweaters, lol.
B]

You're talking to a guy whose initials spell JEW.
We might have made such a pretty photo op in our monogrammed sweaters.:)

- Jake

darklinensuit
01-22-2004, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by macmar71
I have grown to like it , when I was little I really didn't care for it but then I was told I was almost named Tiffany and I do not think I look like a Tiffany.

I agree with you, Krista, that it is annoying when people call you other Chris/Kris like names~~I get called Crystal alot and I love the song but that is not my name, not fond of that.

But all in all, Christa is a decent name and I am used to it.

Again, my bias comes through:
My hateful cousins had a slobbering beagle named Tiffany, so I am stuck prefering Christa to Tiffany for always (no offense to anybody).

- Jake

darklinensuit
01-22-2004, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by DrummerDeanna
I was actually known as Dee up until second grade...so the people in my life who have known me since then or before...all call me Dee...except my nephew who's only four, but he calls me Aunt Dee, and some other newer friends have heard my family or old friends call me Dee, and they've started calling me that as well...so yep...I have no problem with just plain Dee :D

I like Dee.
From now on you are DrumDee.:D

- Jake

darklinensuit
01-22-2004, 06:13 PM
:laugh: No, I should've clairfied that I hear her singing on the answering machine...but I must admit, when I see her name on the Caller ID...I stand there and listen and laugh!!

Does she know she does it?

- Jake

darklinensuit
01-22-2004, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by face of glass
Yep. The only ones who give those names to their kids are probably goofy, arty types anyway. Some artist in Finland once wanted to name his kid "Little Devil". Maybe he has problems with diapers. ;)

And the little brother would be Dirt Devil?;)

- Jake

darklinensuit
01-22-2004, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by littlelies7
My parents wanted me to be named "Lindsey", which ended up happening. They hated "Lindsay".

But, I used to hate my name for this sole reason: no one, and I mean no one, every spelled it right! Augh! They woudl call and even write Lindsay and I would be so furious.

It gets worse. When I was little, my elementary school principal referred to me as Leslie! :eek:

Hey, it's interesting that my favorite band has a member with my name. I found that unusually freaky.

Then again, I had met several other Lindseys, and let's say it's hard to be in the same room with them when someone calls out "Lindsey!"

~~

Funny fact: if my name wasn't Lindsey, I would've been named Lucinda or Whitney (still referring to musicians, weird...)

I've taught Lindseys and Lindsays, the most famous being the daughter of the often imitated mother who pronounces the name Leeyindzaaaaay. She likes to add syllables where they're not needed.

- Jake

darklinensuit
01-22-2004, 06:17 PM

Yeah, I'm guessing that guarding Marissa is freaky.;) :laugh:

- Jake

darklinensuit
01-22-2004, 06:20 PM
That still trips me out.

Big deal, so you've got my name. I'm a'skeered.:rolleyes:

- Jake

GardenStateGirlie
01-22-2004, 07:13 PM
Hardly. Just 'cuz she's been Thrown Down on Rodeo, it doesn't mean she won't be taking her midnight plane back to me to ring her bell through the night.;)
Remember, she loves to waltz with me.

- Jake

LMAO! :laugh: :laugh: So, you're gonna knock knock down her door? :laugh: :laugh:

GardenStateGirlie
01-22-2004, 07:14 PM
Yeah, I'm guessing that guarding Marissa is freaky.;) :laugh:

- Jake

Have I told you lately.....that I hate you? :nod: :D

GardenStateGirlie
01-22-2004, 07:19 PM
Big deal, so you've got my name. I'm a'skeered.:rolleyes:

- Jake

::throws down gloves, sharpens knives::

We? Are going to dual...mmhmm....yep. It's going to happen. Philly. Yep. This summer. :nod:

darklinensuit
01-23-2004, 01:21 AM
LMAO! :laugh: :laugh: So, you're gonna knock knock down her door? :laugh: :laugh:

Which door? The door to her beautiful bathroom? The pink and grey or honey doors? The door to the hotel room just outside of Houston? The door where I've been waiting all these years for a bit of gold and braid? I'd be knocking if I knew.

- Jake

darklinensuit
01-23-2004, 01:24 AM
Have I told you lately.....that I hate you? :nod: :D

They would not like it much anyway to know that
She still hates him
Noone understands this hate
Noone ever will
'Til her dying day
Not even he himself could change this
The freak hates him still

- Jake

darklinensuit
01-23-2004, 01:29 AM
::throws down gloves, sharpens knives::

We? Are going to dual...mmhmm....yep. It's going to happen. Philly. Yep. This summer. :nod:

This was not pre-planned
But after some calls
She decided to go to the other side of the pike
I see something
I see a Ledgie poster
I see myself in Philly
When Jersey shore is full

- Jake

GardenStateGirlie
01-23-2004, 01:37 AM
Which door? The door to her beautiful bathroom? The pink and grey or honey doors? The door to the hotel room just outside of Houston? The door where I've been waiting all these years for a bit of gold and braid? I'd be knocking if I knew.

- Jake

You could sit outside her door and wait....

Keep knocking....one of these days she'll get tired of the noise and open :nod: ....and then call the cops :laugh:

You'd settle for just A BIT of gold and braid? My my...times have changed.

GardenStateGirlie
01-23-2004, 01:41 AM
This was not pre-planned
But after some calls
She decided to go to the other side of the pike
I see something
I see a Ledgie poster
I see myself in Philly
When Jersey shore is full

- Jake

And thusly the song parodies continue....lol....and i'm the freak???

darklinensuit
01-23-2004, 01:55 AM

You'd settle for just A BIT of gold and braid? My my...times have changed.

My my, you're fritzed. (We are referencing former Stevie bands, right?;) )

- Jake

darklinensuit
01-23-2004, 01:57 AM
And thusly the song parodies continue....lol....and i'm the freak???

What parodies?
This is an original.
Any resemblance to a movie soundtrack song is purely coincidental.

- Jake

GardenStateGirlie
01-23-2004, 02:01 AM
My my, you're fritzed. (We are referencing former Stevie bands, right?;) )

- Jake

Damn. Due to lack of bands, we've run out of witty repartee. Go Fleetwood "Mac it" with Stevie. :nod:

Damn. That was lame.

darklinensuit
01-23-2004, 02:05 AM
Damn. Due to lack of bands, we've run out of witty repartee. Go Fleetwood "Mac it" with Stevie. :nod:

Damn. That was lame.

Don't (Buckingham) nix the repartee before its time has come.;)

- Jake

GardenStateGirlie
01-23-2004, 02:10 AM
Don't (Buckingham) nix the repartee before its time has come.;)

- Jake

How could I possibly forget Buckingham Nicks?

::hangs head in shame::

Well unless there's some super secret band Stevie recorded with...

You have won.

You're the winner....the long distance winner.

But alas, the witty repartee shall never die :nod:

darklinensuit
01-23-2004, 02:21 AM
How could I possibly forget Buckingham Nicks?

::hangs head in shame::

That's Alright.
But Don't Let me Down Again.

- Jake

GardenStateGirlie
01-23-2004, 02:29 AM
Nothing Ever Changes....
It's Late.
Goodbye Baby.
Dreams! :laugh:

darklinensuit
01-23-2004, 02:42 AM
Nothing Ever Changes....
It's Late.
Goodbye Baby.
Dreams! :laugh:

Lay It All Down, Sleeping Angel.

- Jake

laurie816
01-23-2004, 07:46 AM
Does she know she does it?

- Jake

Yes, she knows...half the time she knows I'm there listening...after about 5 minutes she'll realize I'm not home and leave her message on my machine...It's all in good fun...and it always brings a smile to my face and brightens my day :)

darklinensuit
01-23-2004, 08:51 AM
Yes, she knows...half the time she knows I'm there listening...after about 5 minutes she'll realize I'm not home and leave her message on my machine...It's all in good fun...and it always brings a smile to my face and brightens my day :)

I know what you mean. My mother jingles her keys in her hands as she walks in public, so the sound of keys always makes me think of her and smile. Awww.

- Jake

Siri Ruane
01-24-2004, 10:07 AM
My name is Sara. :nod:

Of course I like it! :D

darklinensuit
01-24-2004, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by Siri Ruane
My name is Sara. :nod:

Of course I like it! :D

Great, and welcome to the room!:wavey:

- Jake

celestenadia
01-25-2004, 03:15 PM
My parents were kinda "hippie" influenced when naming me, with Celeste
meaning "heavenly". I can't stand my name.... Growing up - Celeste the Pest,
Let's Molest Celeste, etc...
My father's of Eastern European origin and he insisted that I have the
middle name Nadia which means "hope".
It was their intention from my birth that I was to be called Celeste Nadia
at all times, which I DO like. What can I say, they got lazy and so did everyone else. Hence my one word screen name of celestenadia.

Siri Ruane
01-25-2004, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by celestenadia

I love it! Very pretty, and don't feel bacn cause you could've had parents like mine which named the majority of their kids after saints like my 7 year old brother, Maximillian Kolbe. :laugh:

ShamHy89
01-25-2004, 08:14 PM
after saints like my 7 year old brother, Maximillian Kolbe

That? is cool. Maximillian was a great guy, I hope your brother comes to like his name!

darklinensuit
01-26-2004, 12:14 AM
It was their intention from my birth that I was to be called Celeste Nadia
at all times, which I DO like. What can I say, they got lazy and so did everyone else. Hence my one word screen name of celestenadia.

Celeste makes me think of Babar's wife. Sophisticated, though. I think Nadia is pretty.

- Jake

darklinensuit
01-26-2004, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by Siri Ruane
I love it! Very pretty, and don't feel bacn cause you could've had parents like mine which named the majority of their kids after saints like my 7 year old brother, Maximillian Kolbe. :laugh:

I like the name Max & it seems to be gaining in popularity. Of course, part of me thinks of the opening credits/narration to Hart to Hart.:rolleyes:

- Jake

celestenadia
01-27-2004, 03:10 PM
Yeah,Jake, Queen Celeste...They live in Celesteville!
I don't know though....an elephant....:distress:
Adds to the weight complex:laugh:
And Nadia, I've gotten made fun of with that too...
"Nod de your head":distress:

darklinensuit
01-27-2004, 07:21 PM
Yeah,Jake, Queen Celeste...They live in Celesteville!
I don't know though....an elephant....:distress:
Adds to the weight complex:laugh:
And Nadia, I've gotten made fun of with that too...
"Nod de your head":distress:

If it makes you feel any better, my father graduated with a Brunhilde Schligglemeyer. Try putting "Queen" in front of that.:distress:

- Jake