PDA

View Full Version : American Idol 3 Starts Tonight

WelshWitchPMD
01-19-2004, 07:46 PM
Ok I was addicted to the first two shows. I'll admit to it.:o

I am excited to see this new season of AI. Basically because I am bored and have no life so it's something to talk about.
I think that tonight's show will be funny because they will show some of the horrible auditions.

dissention
01-19-2004, 07:53 PM
Ooh, I forgot! You're a lifesaver, Pattie!

:wavey:

WelshWitchPMD
01-19-2004, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by dissention
Ooh, I forgot! You're a lifesaver, Pattie!

:wavey:

No problem. 8PM EST Fox network.:) Just a reminder to anyone interested.

wondergirl9847
01-19-2004, 08:23 PM
Season one will NEVER be touched...there was a magic, an innocence (if that's the right word) to it. It was special...IMO. The second season was boring as frick, and this one will be generic, I'm sure.

DAYUM, these people suck. Kosovo Idol...LMAO!!

estranged4life
01-19-2004, 08:46 PM
for the warning...I wished this s--t would die a horribly QUICK death!!!

Brian j.

Siri Ruane
01-19-2004, 08:49 PM
I've never watched American Idol... I read the New Jedi Order.

strandinthewind
01-19-2004, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by estranged4life
for the warning...I wished this s--t would die a horribly QUICK death!!!

Brian j. :nod: :nod: :nod:

I HATE it. I do however appreciate that some of them have great voices. I just hate the whole hype around it and the other shows like it (Survivor, etc.).

GardenStateGirlie
01-19-2004, 09:08 PM
"Why don't you go on American Idol?"- Dad and Mom

"Why don't I hang myself from a tree?"-Me

I can't stomach it. Really..."it hurts my evvverythaaang..."

And what hurts my everything even more? People will keep watching this channel and MY BIG FAT OBNOXIOUS FIANCEE

greatdarkwing
01-19-2004, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by WelshWitchPMD
Basically because I am bored and have no life so it's something to talk about.

Not true.....just use this free-time wisely to practice with your new digital camera.....;) :laugh:

~Alex

dissention
01-19-2004, 09:27 PM
Wow. It was truly awful tonight. I don't think I'll be tuning in again; it was a waste of time.

coldplay
01-19-2004, 09:32 PM
I've always felt that the best way to carve out a music career is to pay your dues for a period of time, develop your audience, peak, and then maintain a base level of fans. That way - you can enjoy being artistically appreciated over a long period of time.

Sound familiar? Of course, that's how Fleetwood Mac did things.

The alternative is to become an overnight sensation and (generally speaking) become yeterday's hero with a snap of the fingers. It must be awful to chase that level of fame for the rest of your life. Examples include:

Tiffany
MC Hammer
Vanilla Ice
New Kids on the Block
Spice Girls

I put it to you....do you think Pop Idol winners can sustain long-term careers in our rapid turnover consumer society?

estranged4life
01-19-2004, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by coldplay
I've always felt that the best way to carve out a music career is to pay your dues for a period of time, develop your audience, peak, and then maintain a base level of fans. That way - you can enjoy being artistically appreciated over a long period of time.

The alternative is to become an overnight sensation and (generally speaking) become yesterday's hero with a snap of the fingers. It must be awful to chase that level of fame for the rest of your life. Examples include:

Tiffany
MC Hammer
Vanilla Ice
New Kids on the Block
Spice Girls

I put it to you....do you think Pop Idol winners can sustain long-term careers in our rapid turnover consumer society?

<i><b>AMEN!!!!</b></i>

Couldnt have said it better myself...

Brian j.

GardenStateGirlie
01-19-2004, 09:42 PM

The alternative is to become an overnight sensation and (generally speaking) become yeterday's hero with a snap of the fingers. It must be awful to chase that level of fame for the rest of your life. Examples include:

Tiffany
MC Hammer
Vanilla Ice
New Kids on the Block
Spice Girls

I don't think these people care about being artistically appreciated over a long period of time...they don't write their own music nor do they play their own instruments. They'll achieve fame, be in the spotlight for a while and make a nice mint...that's all they ever want.

But I totally agree with you....definately WILL NOT have long term careers.

coldplay
01-19-2004, 09:53 PM
Just for the record. My first post was not meant as an attack on the show but merely rambling observations on whether or not winners will have lasting careers. Love to hear your opinion.

Having said that, I do wish Reality TV would hurry up and die so that we can get back to employing actors, scriptwriters, location scouts, lighting crew, etc etc.

I actually love Survivor and did watch Australian Idol but the endless plethora of mundane reality TV is taxing to say the least.

I caught the ads for 'The Bachelor' the other night and watching these women profess their love for a man they've known for a week makes me wonder how much women have really progressed. That's sending out a really bad message if you ask me. Get a grip.

coldplay
01-19-2004, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by GardenStateGirlie
I don't think these people care about being artistically appreciated over a long period of time...they don't write their own music nor do they play their own instruments. They'll achieve fame, be in the spotlight for a while and make a nice mint...that's all they ever want.

I'm inclined to agree with you here. Most applicants won't be thinking about anything at all except winning and becoming famous.

However, I think when the fame is gone.....that's when they think about the desire for artistic appreciation and to prove to the world that they are more than an overnight sensation.

Ohh massive flashback to Bart Simpson who became the 'I didn't do it kid'.

GypsySorcerer
01-19-2004, 10:07 PM
It was really dull tonight. If the rest of the season is as boring as that, I won't be watching.

~Krista

estranged4life
01-19-2004, 10:10 PM
is who died and let 3 "never was" judges decide what should be great & the next big thing in music? Sounds like wishful thinking to me...But then again Viacom controls to an extent what is shown on the 3 main "music channels" (Formerly VIDEO channels) in this country.

I bet you at this moment there is some person with MORE musical talent than any of these American <i>"Idiot" </i>winner's working behind a McDonald's counter who will never be discovered because they have the morals to not sell themselves out to the whole BS reality show "Be the next big thing without paying a single due" scenario...Because they know these suck-up-to-the-almighty-$$$ ("America-Land of the greed...Home of the depraved!") will be yesterday's news when their 15 minutes of fame run out!

Brian "To hell with reality TV" j.

Merf
01-19-2004, 10:11 PM
You know what's a little scary?

The Claymania that has swept up the nation.

Although I have never met him, I did work on my RA staff last year with a fellow RA (she lived above me) who was very good friends with him, he called her every week after the results show. Unfortunately, I think the last time she saw him was before he went to the Wild card show. (she went to lunch with him and a bunch of friends). He seems like a very genuine guy, but are there any Clayheads out there who can explain the obsession over him?

Anyone care to step out and discuss this? Because, yes, he can sing, but the sexualization of Clay Aiken, just boggles my mind! :laugh:

strandinthewind
01-19-2004, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by Merf
You know what's a little scary?

The Claymania that has swept up the nation.

Although I have never met him, I did work on my RA staff last year with a fellow RA (she lived above me) who was very good friends with him, he called her every week after the results show. Unfortunately, I think the last time she saw him was before he went to the Wild card show. (she went to lunch with him and a bunch of friends). He seems like a very genuine guy, but are there any Clayheads out there who can explain the obsession over him?

Anyone care to step out and discuss this? Because, yes, he can sing, but the sexualization of Clay Aiken, just boggles my mind! :laugh:

I agree - the boy's got pipes and deserves a contract to sing. AND - he has the best make over in the history of make overs. Yet, he looks like a feminine KD Lang!!! :laugh:

GardenStateGirlie
01-19-2004, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by Merf

Yea...gotta agree with you here. And ::braces self for Christy killing her:: I never understood the Justin Guarini thing either.

darklinensuit
01-19-2004, 10:57 PM
I'm with Christy. Season 1 was entertaining; in Season 2 I didn't really like anybody.
I'm also with Brian. At best they can hope to get rich quick & make a name through their voices (not the worst fate), but they'll probably never put out the quality of music that comes from having a truly distinct style & meaningful self-written lyrics that stay with the public.

- Jake

Sorcerer386
01-19-2004, 11:30 PM
While I'm inclined to say that I'm not a fan of musical direction these days, I'm also inclined to make a distinction here. Pop acts like Britney, okay, there's really no musical merit in it at all...just people trying everything they can to be famous and stay in the spotlight. However, why is it so artistically wrong for singers (or I should say GOOD singers) not to write their own songs? Is it not artistic simply to have a good voice and show it off? I don't know if Frank Sinatra wrote ANY of his songs, yet I don't think anyone would bash him for that. I know he didn't write a lot of them...if anyone's seen the movie about his life, there's a segment where he's talking to other stars and mentions how the reason he's sliding on the charts is because of the "crappy songs they're giving him to sing." I don't see anything wrong with having only artistic ability to sing and having others write songs for you, AS LONG AS 1. you can sing, and 2. there are no gimics or publicity things that make it too commercial.

Johnny Stew
01-19-2004, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by Sorcerer386
However, why is it so artistically wrong for singers (or I should say GOOD singers) not to write their own songs? Is it not artistic simply to have a good voice and show it off?
I don't see anything wrong with having only artistic ability to sing and having others write songs for you, AS LONG AS 1. you can sing, and 2. there are no gimics or publicity things that make it too commercial. I agree, Justin.
I think it's easy to look down our noses at someone who doesn't write their own material... I've even been guilty of that at times, myself... but if there's genuine talent there, then it shouldn't matter if the performer doesn't write their own material.

I know a lot of people hate Celine Dion, but at least the woman can SING. And I'm sure no one can deny the amazing talent that Tina Turner possesses. Or Frank Sinatra, as you've mentioned.

That they've never, or only rarely, written their own material, shouldn't be a reason to consider them as a lesser talent than someone who writes and sings.

There actually was a time when it was rare for an artist to write their own material... hence the term "singer/songwriter" being coined.

coldplay
01-19-2004, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by estranged4life
is who died and let 3 "never was" judges decide what should be great & the next big thing in music? Sounds like wishful thinking to me...

Brian

Some humour for you.

I watched World Idol and when Victoria Beckham was 'performing'....I turned around and said...'you see...no self-respecting musician would appear on this show because they know its a sham" (yes I realise the irony here).

When Victoria finished her song, the presenters said "and coming up soon to peform live...Sir Elton John..."

Cheers
CP

estranged4life
01-20-2004, 12:51 AM
Brian

Some humour for you.

I watched World Idol and when Victoria Beckham was 'performing'....I turned around and said...'you see...no self-respecting musician would appear on this show because they know its a sham" (yes I realise the irony here).

When Victoria finished her song, the presenters said "and coming up soon to peform live...Sir Elton John..."

Cheers
CP

IMHO Sir Elton's appearance was probably to just to boost ratings because otherwise who would have cared about this show...

And I betcha they offered him enough money to appear that he would have been ignorant to turn it down...:)

Brian "Money talks and the you-know-what walks" j.

golden braid
01-20-2004, 01:16 AM
I still get a kick out of watching this show. I love seeing the people who suck. I can't believe some of these people think that they can really sing.

wondergirl9847
01-20-2004, 02:47 AM
Don't get me started on Claymates, Claymania...etc. They are some strange peeps. I voted for Clay some in season 2, but now, I'm repulsed by him just from some articles I've read. *Shudder*

I don't understand the whole "you must write music to be talented" crap either. Elvis, Frank, and others out there never wrote a lick, but they will ALWAYS be BIGGER than life.

Season one will ALWAYS be the best because those people didn't know WHAT to expect or how things would turn out...but the seasons after, everyone knows what's going on and most are out to just get on TV. :rolleyes:

Marissa, I've been bashed countless times for my Justin love...it's all good. Not everyone will like Justin, and same with Kelly, Clay, Ruben, etc. I've stuck with him since Day one and can't wait to see what's next for him! :)

I didn't see anyone tonight that blew me away, of course, 99% of the singers sucked. LOL

Gypsy-Rhiannon
01-20-2004, 05:28 AM
Brian

Some humour for you.

Cheers
CP

Ugh.... Victoria Bleckham! She is everywhere over here! And she is so desperate to 'crack America' that she will appear on anything. She really should give up this singing lark

Pip

GypsySorcerer
01-20-2004, 08:31 AM
Didn't Elvis write a little? I've noticed he gets co-writing credit on some of this songs -- not sure how much he actually wrote.

It really used to bug me when artists didn't write their own music, as most of my favorites tend to be singer/songwriters. But of course there are some songwriters who can't sing -- Dylan, for example.

You have the great singer-songwriters and (Billy Joel, FM of course) the great vocalists (Frank, Tony Bennett, Celine). What gets me is then people don't fall in either category. (Britney Spears).

~Krista

darklinensuit
01-21-2004, 06:12 PM
Houston auditions on tonight's show!
I WILL be watching this one.

- Jake

GardenStateGirlie
01-21-2004, 08:45 PM
"She not represtin' Houston, is she?" -the woman at the mall

Wow. Just...wow. Jake, you should have tried out and showed everyone up :laugh:

And little miss hot pink tank top...."um...effected...ya..that went right over my head..." 16 year old Diva right there....I hope she gets cut in the next round.

I thought the other girl was good that came on before her though.

I'm not impressed this year at all...then again, I wasn't too impressed last year either.

WelshWitchPMD
01-21-2004, 08:54 PM
Yikes, I can't understand a word half these people are saying.:eek: They are just awful. It reminds me of "The Gong Show." Anyone here remember that?

GardenStateGirlie
01-21-2004, 09:02 PM
Yikes, I can't understand a word half these people are saying.:eek: They are just awful. It reminds me of "The Gong Show." Anyone here remember that?

They still play reruns of that on the Gameshow Network. Someone should get Simon a Gong...seriously.

::Watches The O.C. for an hour in order to recover from the atrocity that is American Idol::

Houston is a beautiful city though :nod:

Hawkeye
01-21-2004, 09:34 PM
I'm LOVIN this season. Tonight was the best moment in Idol history. That fight between the Judges was just too funny. Randy was the only judge and you could see how there is real tension and chemistry between these judges.
AND I'd like to say that the purpose of these early AI shows is NOT to show amazing singers. 13 made it through in Houston they showed 4. These beggining shows show the most intresting poeple and basically is the biggest part of the show for showing off the judges, and it's really the only time you deal with TRULY bad singers. Hell until the final 32 no one sings a full song.

dissention
01-21-2004, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by Hawkeye
it's really the only time you deal with TRULY bad singers.

Did you hear Joshua Gracin last year? Sheebus. :eek: He. Was. Bad.

GardenStateGirlie
01-21-2004, 10:52 PM

Joshua? He was bad but how bout' the girl that ate a fricken' goat...she was HEINOUS. And did you just say sheebus? Oh, I'm so proud!! :D

darklinensuit
01-22-2004, 03:05 PM

I even remember that awful $1.98 Beauty Pageant show from the same people.

- Jake

darklinensuit
01-22-2004, 03:06 PM
"She not represtin' Houston, is she?" -the woman at the mall

Wow. Just...wow. Jake, you should have tried out and showed everyone up :laugh:

And little miss hot pink tank top...."um...effected...ya..that went right over my head..." 16 year old Diva right there....I hope she gets cut in the next round.

I thought the other girl was good that came on before her though.

I'm not impressed this year at all...then again, I wasn't too impressed last year either.

That mall is two blocks from my home. Not exactly a brush with greatness, or even mediocrity.

- Jake

darklinensuit
01-22-2004, 03:07 PM

Was he the marine? Loved when they made him color his hair for the sponsor bit.:rolleyes:

- Jake

darklinensuit
01-22-2004, 03:08 PM
Joshua? He was bad but how bout' the girl that ate a fricken' goat...she was HEINOUS.

Do you mean that young blonde who finished in the Top 10? She was TERRIBLE!

BTW, did you see your Nets are moving?

- Jake

darklinensuit
01-22-2004, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by Hawkeye
I'm LOVIN this season.

I loved:

- the drink thrower's voice Wednesday night:laugh:

- the exaggerated mannish voice of the woman from Cypress the first night:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

- Jake

GardenStateGirlie
01-22-2004, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by darklinensuit
Do you mean that young blonde who finished in the Top 10? She was TERRIBLE!

BTW, did you see your Nets are moving?

- Jake

Yep. Carmen..the singing goat.

How bout that girl that REFUSED to stop singing? "Um...you're scaring me..."

Nope, didn't see they were moving...where are they going? The only two sports I really follow are hockey and football.

darklinensuit
01-22-2004, 03:17 PM
Yep. Carmen..the singing goat.

How bout that girl that REFUSED to stop singing? "Um...you're scaring me..."

Nope, didn't see they were moving...where are they going? The only two sports I really follow are hockey and football.

There's talk of Brooklyn.

- Jake

dissention
01-22-2004, 03:19 PM
Joshua? He was bad but how bout' the girl that ate a fricken' goat...she was HEINOUS. And did you just say sheebus? Oh, I'm so proud!! :D

:laugh:

Yeah, Goat-ine Dion was pretty awful and the songs she chose were just as bad.

Who else was bad from both seasons...?

-Justin Guarini: Good lawd. He's a prophet from hell. :laugh:
-Nikki McKibbin: I have to give her some props for being a huge Stevie fan, but my word. She had a pretty voice, but chose the wrong songs to sing.
-Clay Aiken: He. Oversang. Every. F*cking. Song. And he looks like Chucky. :nod:
-Kimberly Caldwell: She scared me.

I got a kick out of Paula saying "She's so annoying!" about that blonde girl who was "affected" last night. :nod: :laugh:

GardenStateGirlie
01-22-2004, 03:24 PM
:laugh:

Yeah, Goat-ine Dion was pretty awful and the songs she chose were just as bad.

Who else was bad from both seasons...?

-Justin Guarini: Good lawd. He's a prophet from hell. :laugh:
-Nikki McKibbin: I have to give her some props for being a huge Stevie fan, but my word. She had a pretty voice, but chose the wrong songs to sing.
-Clay Aiken: He. Oversang. Every. F*cking. Song. And he looks like Chucky. :nod:

I got a kick out of Paula saying "She's so annoying!" about that blonde girl who was "affected" last night. :nod: :laugh:

Nikki's voice was not so good...I don't think Justin deserved to be in the top two. Clay? I love his voice but he's destined for broadway. Kimberly improved toward the end of the show...she wasn't too terrible.

I said, "THANK YOU PAULA" to the annoying comment. I truly hope that girl gets cut in the next round...she irked me.

darklinensuit
01-22-2004, 06:01 PM

As I've said before, Ruben and Clay are Ren and Stimpy.

- Jake

darklinensuit
01-22-2004, 06:03 PM

My last (as of last week) girlfriend lives in Katy, where KC is from. She's just as scary.:(

- Jake

darklinensuit
01-31-2004, 11:45 AM
Auditions are over. My favorites were Scatgirl, the She Bang guy (with the flailing arms:laugh: ), and especially the woman named Carmen from Cypress who sounds like a cross between a man & the SNL Donatello Versace impression.:laugh: :laugh:

- Jake

WelshWitchPMD
01-31-2004, 11:53 AM
What about the guy from last week who did not even know why he was there in the first place? The judges did not even listen to him they just threw him right out for wasting their time.