PDA

View Full Version : Danny Kirwan: Faves

wondergirl9847
01-19-2004, 06:07 PM
I love Danny so much and I was wondering what are some of everyone's fave songs (FM and/or solo)? We've done this before, but there are new members all the time, sooo.....

FM:

One Sunny Day
Jigsaw Puzzle Blues
Coming Your Way
Like Crying
Woman of a 1000 Years
Sands of Time
Child of Mine
Sunny Side of Heaven
Bare Trees
Dust

Solo:

Misty River (#1 fave solo!!)
Spaceman (This song RULES..I just love it!!)
Hot Summer Day
Love Can Always Bring You Happiness
Silver Streams
Midnight in San Juan
Angel's Delight
Wings of a Dove

greenfire
01-19-2004, 06:39 PM
Guess I'm one of the newbies that missed out on this!

Danny FM

Sunny Side of Heaven
World's In A Tangle
Talk With You
Something Inside of Me
Woman of 1000 Years
Sands of Time
Although The Sun Is Shining
Like Crying
Sometimes
Bare Trees

Station Man (New found appreciation on this one!)

Haven't heard Dragonfly or any of Danny's solo!

wondergirl9847
01-19-2004, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by greenfire
World's In A Tangle
Talk With You

What are these songs from? I've not heard of them.

EGADS, I forgot about Dragonfly...yep, love that one too! I dig Purple Dancer too.

greenfire
01-19-2004, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by wondergirl9847
What are these songs from? I've not heard of them.

wondergirl9847,

Aren't those on Blues Jam in Chicago, I've also seen it called Blues Jam at Chess, the double cd where FM jammed with Blues masters, Buddy Guy, Otis Spann, Walter Horton? I think the name Chess came from the family that owned the recording studio. I remember Peter making the comment that he didn't feel comfortable playing there, something about the wood floors, and he felt it adversely affected his playing. He said he felt much better playing local clubs afterwards. I thought he sounded fantastic, even if he didn't think he did! I didn't have the original double cd but it was included as part of the Blue Horizon Box Set. I feel like I've messed up or something. Isn't that Danny on those two songs?

wondergirl9847
01-19-2004, 08:27 PM
I wasn't questioning you, I was just asking where they came from because I wanna get every song I can of Danny's and I hadn't heard of those songs. LOL

John (wetcamelfood) or Chilid know will know exactly, but I'm sure you're right. :)

greenfire
01-19-2004, 08:37 PM
wondergirl9847,

Oh no, your ok! I kind of new at this and figured maybe there was something I didn't know. I guess I took it for granted that you probably had all of Danny's recordings. I was just trying to figure it out and then questioning myself? I thought, yeah, that's Danny on those! Why doesn't wondergirl9847, recognize these! I was just confused for a little! I would be curious to know what you think of those when you hear them?

chiliD
01-20-2004, 03:05 AM
Yep...they're from the Blues Jam At Chess set...along with "Like It This Way".

The only song of Danny's I dislike is "When You Say"...all the rest (either solo or with FMac) are top-notch. Although, I think his OVER-use of Mini-Moog on his Midnight In San Juan album kind of detracts from a few songs...where if he played those parts on guitar (especially on the title cut), it would've made the songs more of a pleasure to listen to.

macfan 57
01-20-2004, 06:50 AM
These are by far my 4 favorites:

Dust
Station Man
Sunny Side Of Heaven
Dragonfly

I also like these:

Purple Dancer
Sometimes
Sands Of Time
Jewel Eyed Judy
Like Crying
Coming Your Way

I like Danny's songs, although I tend to like his 1970-1972 songs better than the earlier songs. I've never heard any of his solo stuff.

chiliD
01-20-2004, 11:09 AM
Ok, ok, stop twisting my arm, I'll name names:

Faves with Fleetwood Mac (somewhat in order, but not really):

Sunny Side Of Heaven
Woman Of 1000 Years
Coming Your Way
Jig-saw Puzzle Blues
Like It This Way
One Sunny Day
Without You
Sands Of Time
Child Of Mine
Tell Me All The Things You Do

greenfire
01-20-2004, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by chiliD

Although, I think his OVER-use of Mini-Moog on his Midnight In San Juan album kind of detracts from a few songs...where if he played those parts on guitar (especially on the title cut), it would've made the songs more of a pleasure.

ChiliD,

I have to admit. I don't really now what a Mini-Moog is. Is it a key board instrument or some tpe of synthesiser. I used to listen to Rush quite a bit and would notice that Mini-Moog was listed on albums like Farewell to Kings and Hemisperes. I think it was Geddy Lee's instrument as he did keyboards...and my reasoning in thinking it was some sort of electronic keyboard? Am I close?

chiliD
01-20-2004, 04:23 PM
A Mini-Moog was one of the first portable synthesisers made by Robert Moog. Just about everybody in the late 60's, early 70's played 'em...it was one of Keith Emerson's "secret weapons".

Devo used them exclusively for their bass parts.

http://www.moogmusic.com/history/minimoog.jpg

Here's a photo of Robert Moog (YEARS ago) and a "Mini-Moog".

HomerMcvie
01-20-2004, 08:15 PM
I do sound for a few bands that covet these old Moogs like they were made of gold.

chiliD
01-21-2004, 11:25 AM
And, considering how much the original ones go for these days, they might as well have been MADE of the stuff. :laugh:

wondergirl9847
01-21-2004, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by greenfire
Why doesn't wondergirl9847, recognize these!

Well, I don't have all the pre SnL stuff yet. I will eventually. I just recently found a PRIMO Kiln House LP (that I haven't listened to yet :o ) in London!!

Thanks for the info on these songs, I'll be sure to look out for the CD when I allow myself to spend money again. :laugh:

Jason T.
01-26-2004, 08:49 PM
From what I have heard of Danny Kirwan, which I must say is not much and consists only of group material, "Dust" and "Woman Of A 1000 Years" have to be my favorites. I really do look forward to hearing more of his work in the future once I get the money to buy some of the earlier FM material.