PDA

View Full Version : Benifolds-home of FM 1971/74

Blue Horizon
08-09-2003, 05:13 PM
Benifold
Large house on the south side of Headley Hill Road, built in 1899 for Edward Frinneby HUBBUCK and originally called Pinehurst – At some undetermined time, the house name changed from Pinehurst to Benifold. Described in a brochure as "a 20-roomed house with eight acres of grounds," Benifold was from 1963–1970 an Ecumenical House of prayer where ‘people of all sorts and ages’ were welcome. Initially the organisation also owned Little Benifold, just across the road, using this as a Warden’s house, but it was later sold separately. Then followed a significant culture shift, as the pop group Fleetwood Mac moved in. The group made four albums during their time here, and it is said that on the second floor there were until recently some paintings on the wall reminiscent of Christine McVIE’s artwork for the cover of the ‘Kiln House’ album. They eventually left for California in late 1974 to achieve world-wide success. In the village, they are remembered by those who were regulars down at the Wheatsheaf.

I found this snippet of info on web site http://www.headley-village.com/archive/index.html
It also mentions Headley Grange where Led Zeppelin recorded.
A few years ago (1977) I was working in the area, so I decided to have a walk round during my lunch break and I found Benifold's which is set in lovely surrounding woods and countryside. I then had my lunch in the pub just down the road (The Crown) which was the subject of a unreleased Danny Kirwan song, which if I remember correctly had the following opening line of:-

Down at the Crown everbodys going round
getting loose on the juice that was flowing.....

Having ordered a pint of beer and something to eat, I got chatting to the middle aged lady behind the bar who remembered
the various members of FM who used to spend alot of their time in this particular establishment and another Pub close by (The Wheatsheaf). She then pointed to a guy sitting on a bar stall at the other end of the bar and told me that he was the caretaker of Benifold's as FM still owned the house, despite having moved to the U.S.A. sometime ago.This guy was having a quite drink and obviously new most of the folk in the pub. I overheard him talking to the landlady saying that Mick had phoned during the night about various things to do with the house. Unfortunately I never plucked up the courage to go and talk to the guy. He had a dog in tow which looked very similar to the one featured in the photo of the gatefold sleeve LP for 'Penquin'.

A couple of days ago I was looking at an up todate map of Surrey/Hampshire and both Benifold and Headley Grange are both marked, so if any FM fans coming over to the U.K. this November for the 'Say You Will' concerts, have time for a spot of sight seeing I can recommend a day spent down in the Hampshire countryside seeking out some FM history will not be wasted.

Regards,
Blue Horizon.

BklynBlue
08-11-2003, 12:00 PM
Hi,
First off, thank you for that fascinating look at the history of Benifolds -
Next up, a question: you mention "Down At the Crown" as being an unreleased Kirwan composition - the fact that you were able to paraphrase (quote?) from it leads me to believe you've heard a recording of it -
If that is correct, would you know if this was a studio out-take or something they recorded at a BBC session?
Any light you may be able to shed on this would be appreciated -
And any other cool stories / info you have would be appreciated too!

Blue Horizon
08-12-2003, 07:46 AM
Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I originally heard the track on a BBC session which I had recorded on tape (long gone I'm afraid--tape stretched)late 1970.
The song in fact had a title of 'Doin all Right' and featured Danny and Christine on vocals, Danny and Jeremy on guitars.
The good news is, I now have a version on a CD, although the quality is pretty dire and nowhere as good as my original recording. Still it is very rare as far as Mac songs go, just wish they had laid down the track in the studio and released it.
I have re-listened to the track and amended the opening two lines:-

Down at the Crown everybody's sitting round
Getting loose with the juice that was flowing...

I do have a couple of other Mac tales to tell. I was going to post sometime back, about the two times I met Danny Kirwan back in 1969/70, but decided to hang on as 'Say You Will' Mac fever had just started, and I thought it would be better to tell the story when things were much quieter on The Ledge. Don't worry the story will be told!!

Regards,
Blue Horizon.

greenfire
02-03-2004, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by Blue Horizon
Benifold
Large house on the south side of Headley Hill Road, built in 1899 for Edward Frinneby HUBBUCK and originally called Pinehurst – At some undetermined time, the house name changed from Pinehurst to Benifold. Described in a brochure as "a 20-roomed house with eight acres of grounds," Benifold was from 1963–1970 an Ecumenical House of prayer where ‘people of all sorts and ages’ were welcome. Initially the organisation also owned Little Benifold, just across the road, using this as a Warden’s house, but it was later sold separately. Then followed a significant culture shift, as the pop group Fleetwood Mac moved in. The group made four albums during their time here,...

I found this snippet of info on web site http://www.headley-village.com/archive/index.html

It also mentions Headley Grange where Led Zeppelin recorded.
I can recommend a day spent down in the Hampshire countryside seeking out some FM history will not be wasted.

Regards,
Blue Horizon.

Blue Horizon,

I checked out the web site but wasn't sure if one of the links had the map showing both Benifolds and Headley Grange? How far are they apart? Were they walking distance from each other? I remember reading about Led Zeppelin working on what would be Led Zeppelin III at Headley Grange. The song Bron-Y-Aur-Stomp reminds me of those walks in the countryside that both bands must have gotten to enjoy. Amazing, I never realized the connection between Benifolds and Headley Grange. I wonder if Fleetwood Mac & Led Zeppelin ever ran into each other on those country lanes? Maybe both bands had dogs to walk?

Please share any other stories of these time!

Blue Horizon
02-04-2004, 08:33 AM
I can't remember exactly which year in the late 70's FM sold Benifolds but I still have a cutting fom one of the music papers which advertises the sale as follows:-

FLEETWOOD MAC
COUNTRY HOUSE
RECORDING STUDIOS, ETC
IN SURREY

A fine country Mansion standing in 9 acres near the Hampshire / Surrey / Sussex borders, easy reach of London by road and rail.
The former headquaters / recording studio etc of the Fleetwood
Mac group, enjoying complete seclusion and maintained regardless of expense.
Sweeping drive approach, garages for 6 cars, spacious and impressive hall. 4 main reception rooms including studio.
Recording room, Billards room, 3 principal and 4 secondary bedrooms. MAISONETTE with sitting room, dining room, superb kitchen / breakfast room, 2 bedrooms, bathroom, etc. Usual offices, oil-fired central heating. Excellent order througout.
A magnificent property representing unrepeatable value at
£65,000 freehold.

Agents: F.L. MERCER & CO
66/68 Haymarket, London, S.W.1.

Benifolds was about a 5/10 minute drive from Headley Grange,
and it was Mick Fleetwood who suggested to Led Zeppelin that
it might suit them for recording their next album Led Zeppelin IV.
Apparently some of Zeppelin at first declined to stay at Headly Grange "It was dripping with damp, a dreadful place" said
John Paul Jones. "It was pretty austere, but I loved the atmosphere" Page was quoted as saying. Still the album they recorded was a 'classic' just as Fleetwood Mac's 'Rumours' was to become.
I would love to revisit Benifolds one day just to see if it has changed in anyway from the way I remember it. I now live the other side of the country in south west England so it's not very local to me any more, (moved from Surrey) but one day I will hopefully.

Blue Horizon.

Mari
02-07-2004, 03:08 PM
I just "googled" benifolds out of curiosity, and landed on Bob Weston's homepage... didn't even know he had one;)

it's: www.bobweston.co.uk (http://www.bobweston.co.uk/)

and here's nice pic, from that site, I hadn't seen before, the band outside Benifolds:

http://www.bobweston.co.uk/images/pola1.jpg

greenfire
02-08-2004, 08:41 PM
Mari - Thanks for posting the picture.

Ok, do have this right, picutured L to R?
John, Christine, Mick, Bob Weston & Bob Welch.

Is the the little girl, Mick's daughter?

chiliD
02-08-2004, 10:17 PM
Yes, it is Mick's daughter...but I'm not sure if it is Amy or Lucy.

Mari
02-09-2004, 04:40 AM
from Bob Weston's homepage, text with this picture:

"The band outside "Benifolds". The little girl is Amy, Mick's daughter, who we understand is now all grown-up with children of her own."

chiliD
02-09-2004, 09:39 AM
Ok, so this is kinda proof that Goldie Hawn has to play Christine in the "Fleetwood Mac movie". :laugh:

greenfire
02-10-2004, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by Blue Horizon

FLEETWOOD MAC
COUNTRY HOUSE
RECORDING STUDIOS, ETC
IN SURREY

A fine country Mansion standing in 9 acres near the Hampshire / Surrey / Sussex borders, easy reach of London by road and rail.
The former headquaters / recording studio etc of the Fleetwood
Mac group, enjoying complete seclusion and maintained regardless of expense.
Sweeping drive approach, garages for 6 cars, spacious and impressive hall. 4 main reception rooms including studio.
Recording room, Billards room, 3 principal and 4 secondary bedrooms. MAISONETTE with sitting room, dining room, superb kitchen / breakfast room, 2 bedrooms, bathroom, etc. Usual offices, oil-fired central heating. Excellent order througout.
A magnificent property representing unrepeatable value at
£65,000 freehold.

Blue Horizon.
Does anyone know what 65,000 pounds is American?

Ok, I knew ths is just wishful thinking, so please just humor me, but does anyone else think it would be a neat idea for past and present members to buy Benifolds and go to work on an album the way they used to do it. I would even like to see them use the same instruments and recording technology of those times. Does anyone know if the Rolling Stones Mobile unit is still in existence? If they could put past differences aside, the atmosphere of Benifolds might make for some creative song writing. Maybe they could even pick up on some unfinished bits and pieces that were neve finished. I don't dnow how willing the band would be at this prospect, but I'm sure there would be room enough for Mick, John, Christine, Bob Welch, Danny Kirwan, Bob Weston, Peter Green, Jeremy Spencer and Stevie & Lindsey, if they so choose.

I know this is a far fetched idea, but the thought of bringing all the musical ideas together fascinates me. I do love what we have from the 1971-74 period, maybe it's best to just let it be, but just the thought this might be a unique chance to bring all the facets of FM together for a great album?from BlueHorizon -- The song in fact had a title of 'Doin All Right' and featured Danny Christine on vocals, Danny and Jeremy on guitars.
I would love to hear this song the way it might have sounded in 1970 with analog equipment!

chiliD
02-10-2004, 05:03 PM
You can't recreate history. Benifolds is definitely in the band's past...it had its time & place.

The Rolling Stones Mobile Unit, I believe has been retired due to the equipment's obsolesence.

If my calculations are correct that is somewhere in the ballpark of $35,000-40,000.

greenfire
02-10-2004, 05:54 PM
ChiliD,

I guess I just have much fond feelings from the recordings of those times. I even like the poorer sound from the reel to reel recording process. It seems hard to recreate those times and music. Recordings now seem so precise and over produced and so efficiently done with the new digital technology.

I really liked the spontaniety of those earlier recordings. I know it's possible that bringing past members together for a reunion could rehash old feuds but maybe time has healed old wounds and what may have seemed serious back then may not be so now. I hoping they would all have feelings of admiration and respect for one another.

I thought if they all got together on a new project, bringing differerent musical ideas that Fleetwood Mac could be proud to develop into their own unique style of playing. I'm sure each member has been proud to be part of this band and proud of the music they contributed, for some it was the best of their careers. You can disagree with me on that previous point but they made some fantastic music all and all.

This is just a far off thought, but I just thought it would be neat to hear all the past members working and contributing on one final and cohesive album. I know it's very unlikely this will happen but it's just a thought --another dream I whipped up, but hey, a double cd would be nice!

chiliD
02-10-2004, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by greenfire
ChiliD,

I guess I just have much fond feelings from the recordings of those times. I even like the pooer sound from the reel to reel recording process. It seems hard to recreate those times and music. Recordings now seem so precise and over produced and so efficiently done with the new digital technology.

Believe me, I feel the same way in a lot of ways. But, then there are things that can be done today that were impossible to do then.

Originally posted by greenfire
I really liked the spontaniety of those earlier recordings. I know it's possible that bringing past members together for a reunion could rehash old feuds but maybe time has healed old wounds and what may have seemed serious back when may not be so much now. I hoping they would all have feelings of admiration and respect for one another

I thought if they all got together on a new project, bringing differerent musical ideas and ones that Fleetwood Mac could be proud to develop into their own unique style of playing. I'm sure each member has been proud to be part of this band and proud of the music they contributed, for some it was the best of their careers. You can disagree with me on that previous point but they made some fantastic music all and all.

This is just a far off thought, but I just thought it would be neat to hear all the past members working and contributing on one final and cohesive album. I know it's very unlikely this will happen but it's just a thought --another dream I whipped up, but hey, a double cd would be nice!

But, see, they all aren't the same people they were. The times have changed, who knows if they could even be in the same room together now? Yes, they created some fantastic music (too bad it wasn't fully appreciated at the time, or has ever been)...but that was then, this is now. The big "what if" looms large, I know...we got a taste of it when they all got together for The Dance...nobody expected that... so by that, anything is possible...but, what you're proposing is just to the point of science fiction. I hope that all those people in Fleetwood Mac prove me wrong, though. That would mean that Danny Kirwan would finally exorcise his demons...at this point that looks HIGHLY unlikely; BUT, we said the same thing about Peter Green 10 years ago and look where he's gotten. But, they aren't getting any younger...and the clock is ticking.

wetcamelfood
02-10-2004, 07:06 PM
Hmm, the exchange rate around my area is roughly $1.60 to the pound (fluctuating daily of course) so 65,000 quid I'd say would be around $104,000 but of course that listing is almost 30 years old now and the cost of living must have at least quintuppled since then (probably more) and it sounds like it was a BIG place so this does make for interesting pondering. :)

John

Blue Horizon
02-11-2004, 07:28 AM
The average house price here in the UK is around £130,000-£150,000 which makes Benifolds worth what? ( I guess around something like £1,000,000-give or take a few hundred thousand) If you had the money back then it would have been a sound investment. I wonder who lives there now?
When I visited the area back in the late 70's I did wonder how they got the Rolling Stones Mobile recording studio up to the house as the road (Track) is private and unmade, and on a slight incline. It was very tight in order to turn in to Benifolds through the gate from the track with lots of trees on each side. Still they did manage it.

Blue Horizon

chiliD
02-11-2004, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by wetcamelfood
Hmm, the exchange rate around my area is roughly $1.60 to the pound (fluctuating daily of course) so 65,000 quid I'd say would be around $104,000 but of course that listing is almost 30 years old now and the cost of living must have at least quintuppled since then (probably more) and it sounds like it was a BIG place so this does make for interesting pondering. :)

John

OOOPS...I reversed my numbers...had the exchange rate going the wrong way.

bjs
08-25-2010, 03:59 PM
Hi
Benifold (not Benifolds with an s) used to belong to my grandparents. My grandfather, Alfred Morgan Squire, bought the house (then called Pinehurst) in, I think, 1936. It was a bargain at around £2000 and included 3 cottages and 23.5 acres. He made up the name Benifold as a portmanteau word from manifold benefits. It was home to him and my grandmother plus their 4 children, two of whom were away at boarding school. They sold it in the early 60s as it was obviously far too big. How I wish it was still in the family. I went back a couple of times, once in the 70s. It was empty then but I remember we looked through the window of what used to be the playroom and there was the penguin leaning against a drum kit! We were trespassing like mad but didn't get caught.

HomerMcvie
08-25-2010, 04:36 PM
Hi
Benifold (not Benifolds with an s) used to belong to my grandparents. My grandfather, Alfred Morgan Squire, bought the house (then called Pinehurst) in, I think, 1936. It was a bargain at around £2000 and included 3 cottages and 23.5 acres. He made up the name Benifold as a portmanteau word from manifold benefits. It was home to him and my grandmother plus their 4 children, two of whom were away at boarding school. They sold it in the early 60s as it was obviously far too big. How I wish it was still in the family. I went back a couple of times, once in the 70s. It was empty then but I remember we looked through the window of what used to be the playroom and there was the penguin leaning against a drum kit! We were trespassing like mad but didn't get caught.
Wow, fascinating story of the history of Benifolds. Do you have any pictures you could post???

aleuzzi
08-25-2010, 08:51 PM
Hi,
First off, thank you for that fascinating look at the history of Benifolds -
Next up, a question: you mention "Down At the Crown" as being an unreleased Kirwan composition - the fact that you were able to paraphrase (quote?) from it leads me to believe you've heard a recording of it -
If that is correct, would you know if this was a studio out-take or something they recorded at a BBC session?
Any light you may be able to shed on this would be appreciated -
And any other cool stories / info you have would be appreciated too!

You can get a live-in-studio version of Down at the Crown from the Madison Blues cd:

http://www.amazon.com/Madison-Blues-Bonus-Dvd-Fleetwood/dp/B0009WWEGW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1282787468&sr=8-2