PDA

View Full Version : Dragonfly/Purple Dancer single

macfan 57
06-30-2003, 05:28 AM
There was a Fleetwood Mac single from 1971 with Dragonfly and Purple Dancer as the B side. Does anyone know which lineup recorded this? Since it was released in March 1971, I'm assuming that Peter Green was not involved at all. Was this the Kiln House lineup plus Christine or was this the Future Games lineup with Bob? Also, I know that Dragonfly is on the 1971 Greatest Hits CD, but has Purple Dancer ever been released on CD? And, did Danny also write Purple Dancer?

By the way, it's nice to see this particular board come to life again.

wetcamelfood
06-30-2003, 05:43 AM
Yeah, D/PD was by the KH lineup but w/CM as a member. First thing she recorded w/FM as an actual member and the last for Jeremy (I have a video clip from the foreign "Beat club" TV show in 1971 of FM doing "Dragonfly" live on the show (some of which showed up on the "Rock family trees" doc) and it was the FG/BT lineup doing that version so I'm guessing the D/PD single was recorded & released right before JS walked and they needed to go on the show to promote it but since Welch was in the band by then, I'm guessing that's why that lineup had done that live performace of it).

I actually don't have that single but I have the tracks courtesy of an odd foreign (German?) "Best of FM" album on Reprise which apparently dates from the late 70's some time (as even that is vague) and the writing credit they have for PD on there is MF, JM, & DK. All this comp consists of is these 2 tracks plus "Green manalishi", "World in harmony", both parts of "Oh well" spliced together (sort of like how it was on the later editions of TPO but with the fade on part 1 included) and other tracks from TPO.

PD is more rocking than "Dragonfly" and it's fairly long (for a single track back in those days that is anyways) at 5:39. Danny sings most of the leads but Jeremy does sing lead on one part that crops up a few times in the song.

You're right that "Dragonfly" showed up on CD (courtesy of the 1971 GH album) and that as far as I know "The purple dancer" has yet to see an official CD release in any form. With any luck though, these two tracks will show up as bonus cuts on Rhino's KH CD remaster to help clean things up. :)

Hope that helps, let me/us know if you want any more info on this. :)

John

macfan 57
06-30-2003, 08:56 AM
Thanks, John. That helps alot. I heard Dragonfly on the Greatest Hits CD. It's a very sweet, mellow song. I thought Christine was on there, considering the copyright date in the CD booklet and I could hear her keyboard in the song, but I wasn't sure if Jeremy or Bob were on there. I'm going to try to get the single. I've never heard of this video clip of Dragonfly. Do you have any idea where I could get this?:)

chiliD
06-30-2003, 09:51 AM
John,

You're driving me crazy by using initials only...at least spell out the titles the FIRST time around during your post; so I can have some sort of hint as to how to decipher them! ;) I have an easier time deciphering car's vanity license plates! :laugh:

According to the "Unofficial Danny Kirwan" website, "Purple Dancer" is credited to Kirwan/J McVie/MJK Fleetwood

Johnny Stew
06-30-2003, 03:38 PM
We'll just have to start referring to John as our very own King of The Acronyms... or KotA, for short! :laugh:

You're one of the coolest, John... and the info you and chiliD provide on a continual basis is *greatly* appreciated!!! :D

wetcamelfood
06-30-2003, 05:53 PM
ChiliD: Good point, I keep meaning to make the effort of spelling things out first so I can abbreviate away afterwards but it's so damn tempting to initialize throughout (though I know, I got a little carried away referring to "Dragonfly" as "D"! :) )

Johnny Stew: Thank you very much. :) KOTA huh? Hmm, makes me think of Inspector Clouseau's domestic assistant (Cato), I should go and find some interesting places to launch my surprise attacks. :) I guess I worry about my ramblings going on for so long that reading my posts can give one a stiffer neck than one gets watching tennis matches so in a small way I'd like to think those abbreviations helps condense them a tiny bit. :)

Macfan57: You're welcome, glad it helped. You can find the live "Dragonfly" clip I spoke of available here:

http://www.fattvideos.com/video/1919/FLEETWOOD_MAC_MICK_ABRAHMS_CARAVAN_GREASE_BAND_CAN_PASSPORT_BEAT_CLUB_GERMANY_1971

You may have seen the most watchable part of this video performance on the BBC FM doc from 1995 called "Rock family trees".

John

macfan 57
07-01-2003, 05:38 AM
John, thanks again for all your help. By the way, I was able to decode all of your abbreviations and figure out what you were saying.:)

wetcamelfood
07-01-2003, 06:47 AM
Originally posted by macfan 57
I was able to decode all of your abbreviations and figure out what you were saying.:)

PHEW! I'm glad. :)

My pleasure again, oh and I saw some "Dragonfly" backed with "The purple dancer" singles at GEMM:

http://www9.gemm.com/ddc/search.pl?sid=360364071&key=25436&disp_ad_format_mode=0&artist=FLEETWOOD+MAC&title=DRAGONFLY

...if that's of any help in tracking down one. :)

John

macfan 57
07-01-2003, 11:18 AM
John,
I just ordered one from GEMM about 15 minutes ago. I had e-mailed the seller and he said the vinyl is in excellent condition. Thanks, again.:)

wondergirl9847
07-01-2003, 11:21 AM
John's the man. :)

wetcamelfood
07-01-2003, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by wondergirl9847
John's the man. :)

Thanks (blush). :)

John